Study #17 by Miller et Bertaux

Study #17 is a popular perfume by Miller et Bertaux for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is green-fresh. It is being marketed by Lothantique.

Top Notes Top NotesTarragon, Mint, Wood violet, Geranium
Heart Notes Heart NotesBlackcurrant, Calamondin, Rhubarb, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesWoods, Musk, Lichen

Submitted by Michael, last update on 07.05.2019

5.0 6.0 7.5/10

Acetous Study
Rhubarb wasn't on my wishing list from the start. First, because roots in general are not on my mind when I phantasize of fragrance dreams and secondly because rhubarb anyway only enters my life few times in the year, usually camouflaged below thick layers of golden crumble. Which is not to say that I dislike it. In fact, as a child I had sometimes sneaked into our basement to cut off 1-2 cm of the green-red sticks in order to chew on them for hours and tear away mouthwatering sour fibers.

Recently, I had tested "Flash Back", another rhubarb perfume, and was flashed indeed: What a juciy fresh, sweetsour rhubarb wonder, bringing saliva to my mouth and an amused grin as well. It faded away into a soft base fairly quick, though, ending into a scent too feminine for me to wear, yet one that I genuinely liked.

"Study 17" however has a different transition in spite of the same theme: Instead of having a refreshing head note, the herbaceous green surprises me. Yes, rhubarb is green as well, but I believe it's rather the tarragon (or parsley?) and some geranium, which radiate a not too likeable presence. A cumbrous offbeat, flowery as well, yes, but more the green plants taken from the balcony or garden. After some minute, the rhubarb raises its head - 100% natural! This is no saccharificated compote or pie with crumbly topping, but a sincere plant that stands in the center with ungarnished satisfaction, confidently sending off its scent companions into the earth. I only recognize the other fruity ingredients as background actors, just noticeable enough to let the rhubarb protatonist know it's not alone on the stage - then again, a down-to-earth plant bundle knows that on its own ;)

Sillage is modest with an estimated half-metre, thankfully, I don't mean to raise a complete greenhouse. Or maybe I do! But rather with mint & co, which I couldn't notice here (sadly, actually, they'd fit well!).
Longevity is just about an office day - and you can very well wear it for work, but don't expect compliments in abundance - while the acidity slows fades into a softer base.

I'm not exactly a garden person, so this fragrance doesn't hit any sweet spot for me. I wouldn't even call it beautiful, however, it's well made. Unisex for sure. If you're into natural rhubarb and distance yourself from sweet scents, you should certainly put your nose into this study.