Cuir 2015

Cuir by Molinard
Cuir is a popular perfume by Molinard for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is leathery-spicy. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Thomas Fontaine

AmberAmber
LeatherLeather
PatchouliPatchouli
MuskMusk

Submitted by TomLavender, last update on 02.01.2022.

The face of the advertising campaign is Célia Lerouge-Bénard, Director General of Molinard.

Vroom!
Vroom! Fascinating fragrance. Gasoline and motor oil opening, rather heady. As a woman this accord makes me feel daringly, provocatively macho, in a borrowed-from-the-boys, motorcycle jacket way — it’s how I imagine women in the 1920s felt wearing Tabac Blonde. But under the jacket is something more elegant. The fragrance takes some time to settle — for a while, quite a strong lemon verbena takes over, mingles with the petrol, and meanwhile the leather impression is slowly taking form via the saffron and oud - a fairly smooth leather but with some tannic sharpness. In and out float the lilies, sometimes there, sometimes not, hovering a couple of inches above the leather and tilting this at times in a more feminine direction. There is also a soft, pervasive, rounded skin scent that arises and carries through the end of the drydown, which I *think* is musk (a scent I don’t have much experience of). Later on I get some kind of dried green note — the patchouli? The longevity of this development is about four hours, followed by at least a couple more of the quite soft, lovely, gentle leather/skin scent that wears very close to the body. At 8+hours in the lilies are back, now over very soft suede.

I find myself addictively smelling my arms while this whole thing goes down. I love it. I think Luca Turin has missed a trick in dismissing all the “ards” of French perfumery as simplistic and touristy — Molinard’s Cuir, for one, is fabulous.

Smokey Incense
I cannot believe this fragrance! It’s delicious! Cuir is one of the best Smokey incense scents out there and I can’t believe it’s not in the $200 - $400 range. The scent opens fresh and spicy but very quickly (after 30 seconds), turns into smoky incense. I’m not sure how this happens when there isn’t an incense note. Very masculine scent. Definitely for fall and winter!
Chizza
The leather ensemble shines for only one appearance
As a great friend of leather fragrances, I believe that they can be very different. Here we have a representative of the spiced leather fraction. This is not something you get every day, more often you can find fruit, alcohol or a roughness of the leather that is put on display. And I can't help but notice: Cuir de Molinard needs his runs. The first time I applied it, it seemed very confused to me. Spices exploded here, a designer sofa feather stood alone there. That was not only challenging, I also asked myself the question: what does Molinard want to say with it, who do you want to address? Cui Bono on an olfactory level ?

In the meantime, I am still not a marketing specialist from Molinard and I cannot answer any of these questions. I know, hard to believe. But Cuir and I have come to an arrangement. For me, the fragrance is the better, albeit distant, alternative to Dark Rebel. Why compare? It is a leather with a similar but not too similar scent, only Cuir is softer, quieter and sweeter than the loud pseudo-biker perfume. Cuir is more mature. Unfortunately, this also makes it more volatile and it does not give pleasure with mad sillage.

The first spray and you smell a leather, which reminds me of smoked ham. But I don't mean that it looks smoky, worn out or greasy. No, no, the spices are all very fresh and have esprit! Nutmeg is clearly perceptible to me and intensifies its aroma with the fresh bergamot. The heart note is just as direct, everything is cross and crosswise to perceive. Here intensive saffron, there aromatic allspice, lavender is also not long in coming and fights symbolically in the wake of the other ingredients. Personally, I also smell chili, although not listed. Could also be the saffron, although it is seldom mixed in so spicy. All this can be found on the leather from Molinard.

Various ingredients fade relatively quickly, as if they had been washed away. Now the leather is perceived more clearly. At first it reminds you of Dark Rebel but I don't mean that the two are very similar. It is rather a clue, a rough idea for orientation. The leather now smells well of the more intense spices: saffron, which is comparable in intensity to the part of a meal where the pepper shaker has gone over it less generously and of allspice, still aromatic but more dimmed.
Well, it's a really fine leather and spice combination. Especially something different. Unfortunately, the scent will not enrich my collection and there we come to an important criterion. The wonderful spice ride fades too quickly. What good is a perfume that I don't enjoy once I arrive at the office because of me? After applying it at home? No joy just because the whistle is gone too quickly. Where there used to be a weekly market with intensely scented stalls, there is now wasteland; only individual wafts of scent hang in the air and remind us of what could have been. So Molinard has really missed an opportunity.

Lost Plum/Cherry
By no means, it is not a reference to Tom Ford Lost Cherry or "urban" meaning of this phrase.

The title summarises a note which I fell during the whole life of this fragrance but it isn't listed anywhere. This is plum with a hint of cherry. It might be as well Prunus cerasifera with translate to Cherry plum, the tree with is not common in my region, so I can only imagine how it smell.

When I think about a mix of fruit sweetness with leather Cuir reminds me a bit of Gucci Intense Oud. but believe it Cuir is more balanced in my opinion.

The opening is really sweet with dominant notes from plums and cherries but breaks down with a hint of chili. Once it dry downs we got more and more of leather, sometimes wet leather, but not too heavy. For sure it is very easy to wear and as being marketed as unisex, women shouldn't be afraid to test it.

With a great price tag, this is a great starter into the sweet/leather type of fragrances.

MariaSMariaS 1 year ago
It's definitely NOT a feminine perfume. Intense leathery almost animalic smell which fades quickly.
KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
The name is Cuir, but the key is oud+saffron. Amber adds depth. I want to define it as a sweet animalic oud. The sillage is not very wide.
Amazon1975Amazon1975 2 years ago
Very realistic leather scent with a spicy layer.....very nice
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
A sweet combo of saffron, earthy leather and amber. Enchanting scent! That's how I pictured Tuscan Leather before trying it. Recommended!

by LUI
by Nayeli
by DanyPereyra
by DanyPereyra

Popular Molinard

Habanita (1988) (Eau de Toilette) by Molinard Habanita (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Molinard Habanita L'esprit by Molinard Habanita La Cologne by Molinard Habanita (1924) (Eau de Toilette) by Molinard Vanille Patchouli (Eau de Parfum) by Molinard Ambre (Eau de Parfum) by Molinard La Collection Privée - Secret Sucré by Molinard Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Molinard Habanita (1988) (Parfum) by Molinard Chypre Charnel by Molinard Chypre d'Orient by Molinard La Collection Privée - Ambré Lumière by Molinard Figue by Molinard Patchouli (Eau de Parfum) by Molinard Molinard Homme II by Molinard Patchouli Intense (2010) by Molinard Musc (Eau de Parfum) by Molinard Madrigal (Eau de Toilette) by Molinard Molinard de Molinard (Eau de Toilette) by Molinard