Nirmala (1955) (1955)Eau de Toilette

Nirmala (1955) (Eau de Toilette) by Molinard
Compare Prices
Nirmala (1955) (Eau de Toilette) (Molinard)
Nirmala (1955) (Eau de Toilette) (Molinard)
Nirmala (1955) (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Molinard for women and was released in 1955. The scent is fruity-sweet. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruit, Mandarin, Passion fruit
Heart Notes Heart NotesHibiscus, Jasmine
Base Notes Base NotesAtlas cedar, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 24.03.2017

Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 7.0/10
Nirmala came before Angel
I can certainly see how some could compare Molinard's Nirmala to Thierry Mugler's Angel, but despite the similarities, Angel is a gourmand and Nirmala is an oriental with a hint of boozy fruits. I could own both scents without feeling as if one is copying the other.

Nirmala is a rich and exotic fragrance on the skin. Within moments of first applying Nirmala to my wrists, I was frantically scanning the internet in hopes of acquiring a bottle immediately. I'm a huge fan of Molinard, so it made perfect sense to go right ahead and make an impulse buy based on the top notes alone.

I eventually withheld my eagerness and calmed myself in order to experience both the heart and drydown before hitting the buy button. I'm glad I took a second to think it over because the composition does tend to be a tad linear. I wouldn't consider its lack of development as negative, but it is slightly disappointing, at least for me.

Nirmala opens with sweet bursts of passionfruit and mango, which can smell rather tropical and vibrant on the skin. The grapefruit accord is also present, however anything citrusy in this composition tends to be subtle rather than bold.

In the heart, the fruits begin to settle and the vanilla, along with the tonka bean provide a more oriental texture. A hint of fresh jasmine keeps this fragrance smelling feminine and crisp.

I'm happy to say that the longevity is excellent, with Nirmala being yet another fine example of quality from the house of Molinard. It might be of interest for some that I'm reviewing the current version of Nirmala in the newer packaging. I am unable to compare this version to the older 50's formulation, so I cannot offer any information as to whether a reformulation has occurred.

Originally written: August 23, 2012.
Reformulated?
This review is for what I believe to be the reformulated Nirmala. It strikes me as a copy of Angel by Thierry Mugler. It's nice but there are better quality fragrances in my opinion ... like the original Nirmala or Mugler's Angel.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
Exotic Chic
A subtle cloud of a very light perfume surrounds me. At first whiff, it reminded me ever so slightly of Guerlain "Samsara" ... but this scent here is not as deep in the basenotes. It remains light and unobtrusive on the skin, with its sweet flavor of mango or other exotic fruit notes which remind me of a cocktail drink.

Yes, a cocktail sipped at the beach ... on a sunny afternoon and a balmy night soon to follow ...

Woody notes make for a pleasant dry down so that after many hours there is still a soft skin scent remaining, cozy and comforting with tonkabean (my favorite) and vanilla.

An elusive beauty of a scent, so light, so ladylike.
Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
Passion fruit oriental woody
I have to admit I've rarely smelled something as delicious as this fragrance. It's most likely the main source of inspiration for both Innocent by Thierry Mugler and Hypnose by Lancome, but it eclipses both of them with its class and masterful realization. Where the latter two become somewhat rubbery and plasticky, Nirmala matures into a deep, natural creaminess, a perfect symbiosis of fragrance and skin which I can only attribute to the superior ingredients used in the making of this gem.

The passion fruit is prevalent in Nirmala, giving it a tasty fruitiness which brings it closer to the concept of a woody gourmand. It lasts for a long time (after 24 hours I can still smell its trace on my wrist) and the sillage is fantastic. Despite the cheap price and the unfortunate bottle redesign, I would buy this fragrance with no reserves.

Popular Molinard

Habanita (1924) (Eau de Toilette) by Molinard Habanita (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Molinard Habanita (1988) (Eau de Toilette) by Molinard Habanita L'esprit by Molinard Molinard de Molinard (Eau de Toilette) by Molinard Nirmala (1955) (Eau de Toilette) by Molinard Patchouli Intense (2010) by Molinard Chypre d'Orient by Molinard Molinard Homme II by Molinard Ambre (Eau de Toilette) by Molinard Miss Habanita / Miss Molinard (Eau de Toilette) by Molinard Teck (Eau de Toilette) by Molinard Vanille Patchouli (Eau de Toilette) by Molinard La Collection Privée - Ambré Lumière by Molinard La Collection Privée - Secret Sucré by Molinard Tendre Friandise by Molinard Madrigal (Eau de Toilette) by Molinard Vanille Marine by Molinard Vanille (Eau de Toilette) by Molinard Patchouli (Eau de Toilette) by Molinard