Mollie Parnis (1977)Perfume

Mollie Parnis (Perfume) by Mollie Parnis

10.0 / 10     1 RatingRatingsRatings
Mollie Parnis (Perfume) is a perfume by Mollie Parnis for women and was released in 1977. The scent is animal-sweet. The production was apparently discontinued.

Tuberose, Jasmine, Jonquil

Submitted by Joe, last update on 26.05.2017.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume Mollie Parnis (Eau de Parfum) by Mollie Parnis, which differs in concentration.

10.0 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Bassavina
People followed me around when I wore this!
Mollie Parnis is listed in Perfume Intelligence as being from the house of Weil, and it's pedigree shows, if not in the particular notes, in the depth and quality of composition.

MP is fruity and floral, with that late-70s/approaching 80s tuberose kick, but it is no Amarige. Despite a distinct peach note, neither does it resemble Mitsouko. Some smell cherry and rose, and some call it a rosy chypre. Having shared some decants, here are some of the notes suggested by various sniffers:

•Top: Galbanum, peach, plum, cherry, orange blossom, anise, coriander

•Heart: Carnation, tuberose, lily, rose, jasmine, lily of the valley, heliotrope

•Base: Sandalwood, tonka, amber, civet, musk, vetiver, styrax, rosewood, oakmoss, leather, nitromusks

Mollie starts out astringent, it has verve and elegance. Something about it even reminds me of Constant Comment or blackcurrant tea. I bought it when it first came out at Cleveland's premiere downtown department store, Halle's. I was in my early 20s and this was my first "expensive" purchase—$28 in 1978 for 2 oz EdP. I wore it for me, yet people—men and women—followed me around when I wore it. It was discontinued—don't know when—and I stretched those 2 oz over two decades, until I found some on ebay. I don't know anything that smells remotely like it, the presence of galbanum knocks the tuberose down to size. Mollie Parnis, the child of Russian immigrants, was an American designer whose foundation was dressmaking; she started in the "shmatta" trade of the Lower East Side and became designer to first ladies. A biographer states her fashion philosophy: Fashion was meant to enhance the intrinsic beauty of a woman, not overpower her, which is exactly what this unique, elegant scent does.

Myself, I love its fruity—yet not remotely sweet—opening; it suggests an unripe peach, or perhaps the tannin laden skin. I own the splash EdP, apply it with a cotton ball and tuck said cotton into my bra. Periodically thoughout the day, those peachy top notes waft up for a quick hello :)

by Bassavina