Navigations Through Scent - Londinium (2012)

Navigations Through Scent - Londinium by Molton Brown

Navigations Through Scent - Londinium is a popular perfume by Molton Brown for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is woody-fruity. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBerries, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesOakmoss, Myrrh
Base Notes Base NotesFrankincense, Whisky

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 05.03.2020.

9.0 5.0 5.0 7.5/10

MrHonest
Berry relaxing, but berry light.
I count myself blessed to have found this one randomly in a gift set at a local discounter after Christmas. From what I understand, it's a limited edition that's incredibly difficult to find (especially at the price I paid), so all I can say is that someone up there likes me! Maybe. Anyway, it was a total blind buy; but after examining the notes, I scooped it up without a second thought.

Firstly, the bottle is impeccably gorgeous up close, and only available in the 50 mL. The actuator top is a twist-lock design similar to those found on the Bvlgari bottles, although I really think they should've made it spray towards the front and not the side. Sucks to get fingerprints on the beautiful metal plaque label. Call me finicky, I know.

The opening is an invigorating blast of sweet and slightly sour berries with a hint of bergamot. Almost immediately, I was reminded of something I couldn't quite put my finger on, but I'll get to that later. Surprisingly enough, the berry note is not the kind commonly used in cheap, synthetic fruity florals, but more of a natural one. The aroma evokes a combination of equal parts wet cherry, blueberry and raspberry, but becomes more cherry-like in the mid. In addition to the berries, there's also a touch of smooth, underlying mustiness that must be coming from the myrrh-oakmoss combo, since the old pungent 80s-style oakmoss is nowhere to be found. It's very much in the background though, and perhaps even imperceptible in the sillage.

As the perfume settles down, a sneaky little glaze of whiskey creeps in to cover the berries in a glossy coat. But make no mistake, it's still a very berry-heavy composition, albeit a rather humble and discreet one. In this case, the whiskey takes the place of what could've possibly have been a benzoin or dark amber accord; and as a result, sacrifices depth, longevity and projection. However, at the 20 minute mark, this stuff takes on such a pleasant aroma that it's genuinely difficult to be mad at it.

To me, Londinium is strongly reminiscent of a room temperature, sugar-free cherry pastry that's been unintentionally left behind by a colleague at their cubicle desk and taunts you with its delicious redolence. The overall blend in the mid also somehow reminds me of the relaxing facets of Gucci Pour Homme II (minus the tea of course) as well as the underlying quasi-fruitiness of V&R's Spicebomb or Lomani's Body and Soul. Still, none of them can aptly convey the simplicity of Londinium, or how the berry accord can take on such business-appropriate garb. Shame they only made it in a 50 mL.

Unfortunately, the fun is short-lived, as the base has very little to offer more than an uninspiring puff of clean man-musk. You'll know what I mean when you smell it - the empty, slightly fabric-y aroma of a wool sweater or worn couch. It's not a bad scent by any means, and there are no funky after-effects from the previous notes (hence the cleanliness), but it's a boring finish to a rather agreeable opening and mid.

Overall, I'm chuffed that I found the stuff, but wouldn't really recommend anyone dig deep to locate a bottle. Despite it being a wonderfully relaxing berry scent with a touch of myrrh and whiskey, there's no real depth, smokiness, booziness or anything else for that matter. Longevity is barely 4 hours and projection is only decent for the first hour, so you'd pretty much have to carry a decant. Still, it's a welcome addition for indoor wear in the warmer climates and might even garner a compliment or two during the opening act. But just because it has berries and booze, don't be like me and expect Mugler's Pure Malt. THAT would be Scotland. Scotlandinium?? Aye. Keep calm and carry on.
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Lockon
Godspeed finding this hidden gem.
This fragrance is a sexy, delicious, stands out...Shit, Joop! Pour Homme just got replaced, smh. This is now my signature scent.
This gem of a fragrance just pulled off a coup d'etat for my heart and won.
A moment of silents for Joop! Pour Homme...

Alright back to the review...This is a sexy beast.
No one will smell like this around you.
That whiskey note mixed with the wild berries & incense.
Muah, lovely!
Don't get me wrong the other notes are there too, but they blend in with the background so well.
Why did I find out about this gem, so late in the game?
Just, why?!

I blind bought this one, because of the reviews and the note breakdown. I'm happy that I did.
I can see someone wearing a suit, preppy type of look, hipster or semi-casual.

Got many compliments from people at work (but I'm known as the fragrance guy at work, so those don't count) and on the train to work, I got two unsolicited compliments...
So I'm on cloud nine right now.

Overall this is a must-have in your collection.
It stands out, it's sweet, fruity, boozy, smoky & mature scent. In the world of Sauvage Christian Dior, Bleu de Chanel, Aventus Creed, The One Dolce&Gabbana, 1 Million & Invictus Paco Rabanne...This gem is a must, smell better than the rest and be different.
I used six sprays...both wrist, back & front of my neck, chest, and front of my shirt.

Will I buy this again?...YES!

Does this fragrance enter BEAST MODE, good, just okay or weak sauce at best? BEAST MODE! For once I don't need to carry a travel atomizer to respray it.

What's the strength of this? EDT.

Am I willing to trade this fragrance? NO!

Should You Skipped It, Sample It First or Blind Buy It? Blind Buy Worthy Hands Downs!

Can you use it as a unisex scent? No.

Is it the old, new formulation? Old.

What's its availability; in production, limited edition or discontinued? This was discontinued. It started as a limited edition fragrance, but I guess it didn't meet sale requirements. So if you see it anywhere, buy and keep this gem for yourself or flip it.

Update: I was able to get an official five pack of 2ML sample vials, Yes!
SKU Number: FFS936
Batch Number: 101907A (Production Date: October 2011)

SKU Number: 008080036902
Batch Number: PCA41983 (Production Date: July 17, 2013)

Age: 30+
From: Amazon(UK)
Size: 50 ML
Scent: 5/5 (Sexy Beast).
Value: 3/5 ($65.37).
Sillage: 5/5 (Six feet Easy).
Longevity: 5/5 (Ten plus hours).
Creativity: 5/5 (Aged malt whiskey, wild berries & Incense).
Projection: 3/5 (Two hours).
Versatility: 5/5 (Anytime & anywhere).
Compliments: 5/5 (This fragrance will make you stand out, sexy & delicious).

Until next time, I'll catch you on the flipside.

by AmyAmy
by AmyAmy

Popular Molton Brown

Mesmerising Oudh Accord & Gold (Eau de Toilette) by Molton Brown Russian Leather (Eau de Toilette) by Molton Brown Tobacco Absolute (Eau de Toilette) by Molton Brown Re-Charge Black Pepper by Molton Brown Bushukan (Eau de Toilette) by Molton Brown Navigations Through Scent - Rogart by Molton Brown Rosa Absolute (Eau de Toilette) by Molton Brown Bizarre Brandy by Molton Brown Navigations Through Scent - Iunu by Molton Brown Dewy Lily of the Valley & Star Anise by Molton Brown Navigations Through Scent - Shisur by Molton Brown Coastal Cypress & Sea Fennel (Eau de Toilette) by Molton Brown Navigations Through Scent - Lijiang by Molton Brown Navigations Through Scent - Apuldre by Molton Brown Navigations Through Scent - Singosari by Molton Brown Suede Orris (Eau de Toilette) by Molton Brown Navigations Through Scent - Mahina by Molton Brown Vetiver & Grapefruit by Molton Brown Jasmine & Sun Rose (Eau de Toilette) by Molton Brown Mesmerising Oudh Accord & Gold (Eau de Parfum) by Molton Brown