Les Nombres d'Or - Eau Absolue 2013

Les Nombres d'Or - Eau Absolue by Maison Mona di Orio
Bottle Design Rozenn Mainguené
Les Nombres d'Or - Eau Absolue is a popular perfume by Maison Mona di Orio for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is citrusy-woody. It is still available to purchase.

Mona di Orio

Pink pepperPink pepper
Base Notes Base NotesCedarwoodCedarwood
MuskMusk
LabdanumLabdanum

Submitted by Freeestyler, last update on 06.08.2021.

Sex in the broom closet
or Liselotte's fleeting encounter with the Chevalier de Seingalt, even better known as Giacomo Girolamo Casanova.
The year is 1754, and we find ourselves with our hero on his passage through Europe, to be more explicit, in a not unfamiliar castle in Berlin.
Liselottchen, this young quirky thing, the daughter of a count, has already been allowed to meet the Chavalier yesterday and today he has already invited her for a walk through the castle gardens. So much evident attention from the Chevalier clearly went to her head, and now she coquettes with him so freely that her bright, giggling laughter can be heard from afar. She runs in front of him, turns and spins as if dancing, flirts with him briefly, and casually lifts her wide, lace-trimmed dress a tiny bit to expose her ankles and present her new silk shoes. What else can the infamous Casanova do but look around for the servants who might be following them and start walking towards this fun-loving young lady. Who would let that pass him by?
And as it should come.... the two end up at the end of the walk, escaping the eyes of the servants, in the broom closet, where they indulge in worldly pleasures and where Liselottchen learns a few more new things from the Chevelier de Seingalt....

Now THAT is EXACTLY how this perfume smells!
It's ripped from that era. Even though velvet or leather is not listed here, I smell it out here.
It's a mix: the scent of Liselottchen's youthful skin after a fresh lavender bath, the elaborate pompous lace dress that has taken on a bit of a closet smell peppered with mothballs, the white ruffled shirt of Casanova and the rest of his wardrobe of velvety leather. But it is also the smell of the cool marble floors and the warm fire burning sweet-scented wood.
A truly exceptional fragrance...Always worth a trip back in time!

Only when to wear this fragrance?
During a visit to the castle?
At a masquerade ball?
Or at a boisterous, wicked Casanova night? Hmmm..maaaal see...
The Eau needs heat
After 2 1/2 days of trying "Eau Absolue" I have to state that I apparently do not develop enough body heat to get the full enjoyment of this scent.

What I perceive: a citrusy opening without biting, stinging or the like, followed by spicy ... leather.... Yes, the sum of the ingredients that follow makes for a calm, spicy skin-toned leather scent for me. I can't separate the fragrance notes. I can tell that it needs more warmth by the fact that when I take off my jacket after a dog walk, the scent hits my nose, whereas otherwise I have to search for it quite quickly after spraying it on with my nose over my skin. After the warmth from movement, sometimes the citrus notes from the top note show up again or, as just earlier, a soft prizzle as of sherbet with an idea of sweetness. Yesterday it was once a powdery note.

My sample is empty, so further wearing of the fragrance is currently not possible. Which is a shame, because I like what I can smell.

Greeting + thanks to Serenissima

Drseid
Is This Posthumous Release From Mona di Orio Worthy Of Her Legacy?...
Eau Absolue opens with just the faintest traces of bergamot citrus before a huge honeyed rose-like green geranium floral and petitgrain tandem takes the fore with the geranium the dominant note early. As the progression leads to the early heart the honeyed floral geranium remains the star with underlying dull orange, just detectable woody cedar and relatively transparent vetiver support. During the late dry-down the composition turns much more fresh and light with an almost weightless clean musk dominating the final stage of development as the geranium finally dissipates. Projection is slightly above average and longevity is very good at 10-11 hours on skin.

When I first heard of this release I was of two minds... On the one hand besides the list of official notes being absolutely right up my alley, I am one of the late, great Mona di Orio's biggest fans and many of her releases are among my all-time favorites. On the other, the last posthumous release from the house was an enormous disappointment and made me wonder if this one would follow suit... Unfortunately, I regret to report that it is the latter. Eau Absolue sounds like it should be a fresh, clean but relatively distinctive woody-citrus composition but instead it is a cloyingly sweet near indolic geranium floral one. The cedar I looked forward to that Mona so deftly utilized in her brilliant masterpiece Vetyver is all but absent here. Quite frankly, even the orange that I expected to play the starring role is used much differently than I anticipated with it coming off as dull and lifeless, relegated to supporting the overly potent geranium. I certainly can't fault the composition for being different, but it fails the more important test of smelling good and at $230 a 100ml EdP bottle I expect much more (indeed I would expect more at a quarter the price). The bottom line is while I remain a big fan of Mona and hate to write a critical review of anything she composed, Eau Absolue while distinctive does not smell very good, earning a very average 2.5 star rating out of 5 and an avoid recommendation at its relatively lofty price point.

by Jella
by Jella
by Twinkle
by Twinkle
by JJ84
by JJ84

Popular Maison Mona di Orio

Les Nombres d'Or - Vanille by Maison Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or - Vétyver by Maison Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or - Musc by Maison Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or - Ambre by Maison Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or - Oudh Osmanthus / Oud by Maison Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or - Cuir by Maison Mona di Orio Bohea Bohème by Maison Mona di Orio Santal Nabataea by Maison Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or - Rose Etoile de Hollande by Maison Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or - Violette Fumée by Maison Mona di Orio Carnation by Maison Mona di Orio Jabu by Maison Mona di Orio Suède de Suède by Maison Mona di Orio Myrrh Casati by Maison Mona di Orio Chamarré by Maison Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or - Tubéreuse by Maison Mona di Orio Nuit Noire by Maison Mona di Orio Dõjima by Maison Mona di Orio Tabaceau by Maison Mona di Orio Oiro by Maison Mona di Orio