Black Aoud

(2006)
Black Aoud by Montale
Compare Prices
Black Aoud is a popular perfume by Montale for men and was released in 2006. The scent is flowery-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Labdanum, Mandarin, Musk, Oud, Patchouli, Rose

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 15.05.2017

Bottle 7.0/10
Oud and Rose Mashup Punch...Unisex
One side Oud power and the other side Rose lady. It's a kind of punchy unisex oud fragrance. Longevity and sillage are unbeatable. The very first day in my office, my colleague started complemented me. I am expecting more on the coming days. Only two sprays are enough to highlight your presence in a crowd. This is definitely a daytime fragrance but not for dating or night out. Fragrance lasts for two days in my experience but the first 12 hours. Boom Boom Oud Rose punch. Thank you Montale.
2 Awards
Vade retro!
Let’s start with the good news: nearly all ouds by Montale share the same exact boring artificial oud notes, while Black Aoud doesn’t really. It’s very different from any other oud scent by Montale (still good news here), and actually it doesn’t seem containing oud notes in the first place for me. The bad news is that it would have been so better if it was “just another oud by Montale”. Because as is, it smells revolting for me. It’s basically an extremely dry, bitter, bold, rather pungent, extremely artificial and overwhelmingly horrid woody-patchouli powerhouse drenched in latex, with some faint rose-musky notes and an Oriental aura of dark spices, also slightly infused with something resembling to coffee. Basically Van Cleef pour Homme, Boucheron Homme and A*Men Cuir having a threesome in a seedy sex club scented with some supermarket rose room spray. And despite I am a fan of powerhouses, even the cheaper ones, I find this a complete failure. It’s just too much. And not “too dark” or “too daring”. Just “too garbage”. It smells really too cheap, acrid, vile and screechy to be even barely wearable just for fun. And also, it seems to me completely uninspired and uncreative, given that it clumsily emulates a type of scent – the zombie macho drugstore powerhouse – you can get with a fraction of its price. Just get Van Cleef pour Homme, let it rot for a while, paint it in pink, here’s Black Aoud. The drydown is tolerable (maybe it’s just the relief speaking), but all in all it’s still an abysmal pointless experience I wouldn’t really recommend.

4,5-5/10
Scent 6.0/10
GMK
Traditional Rose/Oud Combo
It should have been called Black Rose Oud , dominating Rose with a little less but equally present Oud companion transforming it into a musky / creamy woody(oud) and sweet scent.
Personally I won't wear it too often due to a significant amount of Rose which makes it a bit feminine imho but its very personal if somebody likes to wear Rose dominant scents its a lovely choice which has very high quality Rose/ Oud scent with an adorable composition especially the dry down phase.
Helpful Review
My oud
I Love it :-) ...its sillage is amazing....not easy to wear but impossible to forget .... my friends suggested me...in a first moment i was so scaried by ouds...but now i love this kind of fragrance.
It's a winter must
Scent 10.0/10
4 Awards
montale black aoud
unforgettable masterpiece imho best aoud frag ever created ,rose,musk ,patchouly all together to make arabian world go straight to your skin
Bottle 10.0/10
Helpful Review    5 Awards
A Strong, Wonderful Scent
Black Aoud is appropriately named, because it smells dark, smoky and resinous with the floral note mostly obscured in the opening. As it dries down, the floral note comes out more but is still somewhat concealed by the smoky resin.

It has the most strength of any Montale offering that I've come in contact with and can say that this is one of the few fragrances where one spray is enough and two - maximum, if you're wearing it out.

If you're wearing this in close quarters, like an office environment, even half a spray may be too much. A couple of dabs with a fingertip is more than enough. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend wearing this to the office at all.

This scent definitely has a more masculine edge to it, although many women seem to like it.

Sillage and Longevity are unrivaled.
Bottle 10.0/10
Helpful Review    7 Awards
Danger lurks beneath the surface...
Lots of patchouli-rose-oud perfumes exist these days, and many of them are much more about rose and patchouli than they are about oud. Montale BLACK AOUD is an exception to the general rule, with just as much oud as rose and patchouli. The combination of the fairly declarative oud note along with the labdanum produces a scent very similar to leather, so this composition is bound to appeal to anyone who likes leather.

I do not find BLACK AOUD overly masculine, and it is certainly wearable by women who like dark leatherish scents laced with roses, so I'd have labeled this creation unisex and marketed it to gals and guys alike. I see that many women own a bottle of this perfume, and I am not at all surprised.

I imagine that BLACK AOUD would be the perfect scent for a woman working as an undercover agent who uses her powers of feminine persuasion to extract state secrets from her unwitting victims before leaving behind a trace of toxic carnelian lipstick from her farewell kiss.
Bottle 5.0/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 7.0/10
Helpful Review    4 Awards
Black Roses
This is a well done blend of dark roses, oud and patchouli that has a great sillage, lasting power and projection.

After the medicinal open, the roses show it's splendour together with the oud and patchouli.

In my opinion this is unissex. It's a heavier version of C&S Dark Rose.

Definately a great scent that deserves at least a try.

Updated January 2014
Bottle 2.5/10
Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 6.0/10
Very helpful Review    6 Awards
The One That Led The Way, But Has It Been Surpassed?...
I really thought I would love Black Aoud by Montale. It was said to be similar to the more recent release, Portrait of a Lady by Frédéric Malle that I absolutely adore, so if so, how could I *not* love this too?

Well, after now trying the Montale, I do see where the comparisons are coming from with both scents relying on a rose, patchouli and Oud combo to create their dark rose accords... Unfortunately, that is where the comparison ends, IMO... Black Aoud's synthetic Oud note that mixes with the rose early on immediately strikes me as a bit bizarre. It makes the rose a more watery, "feminine" and slightly rubbery that just does not fit my tastes much. A nice dark rose scent to be sure, but hard to wear, IMO. With Portrait of a Lady I find a much deeper and natural smelling rose opening with a superior quality patchouli heart that makes it a lot more easy to wear and appreciate for me, at least. Black Aoud has very good projection, but longevity is somewhat lacking on my skin. I get about five hours longevity with it at decent strength and that is well-below average for me.

So the bottom line is Black Aoud is a good scent and it deserves a lot of credit for bringing attention to the rose, patchouli, Oud combo that is so popular nowadays. That said, Portrait of a Lady perfects the blend with much better quality IMO, and adds raspberry to the mix for good measure for a more wearable and balanced package. Portrait of a Lady would have to be a "must sample first" before buying Black Aoud, IMO. A weak thumbs up for Black Aoud by Montale and a 3 stars out 5 rating.
Bottle 7.5/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Scent 4.0/10
Very helpful Review    8 Awards
This man, my dear, wears lipstick.
Nowhere as dark as I thought it would be.
In fact, only the opening is stark, woody, and raw.
Deceptively, it led me to believe that it would remain as such.
A serious linear and inky fragrance.
Actually not all that pleasant up close.

And then, out of the blue, a rose emerged.
It initially appeared, strangely enough, as I took my nose away from my forearm for the third time, resigned to the fact that I was going to smell like a bloke for the rest of the day.

Visions of a crimson rose growing out of a dark mass struck me … and then it grew, and grew, until this very much became the predominant note, totally shadowing its woody roots.

Do I like it?
Not sure.
I prefer my roses gourmand and this one definitely isn’t, but if you want a red rose with great projection, this will be right up your street.
...
Now, I have to come back to tell you that I presented my neck to my beloved and “Turkish Delight” was his verdict.
However, when I asked him to smell my forearm, he looked at me puzzled, and declared that it smelt completely different.
No idea why.
Fact remains that if I could smell what he first smelt, I probably would adore this perfume … but I don’t, so I stand by my initial assessment.
Helpful Review    1 Award
Love it!
Starts with a very lemony, almost lemongrass-like note. This citrus lasts for a good 15min which then reveals the cedarwood underneath.

It further evolves to a kerosene or gasoline-like note which I, suprisingly, dont mind and even like!

The rose in this reminds me of the expert rose from the Parfums de Rosine line. The aoud underneath it all is very sweet which I am coming to understand Montale as producing a very sweet aoud.

I would love to add this to my collection.

RajeshKumar 125 days ago
Oud and Rose mashup punch+1
Bottle 7.0
Sillage 10.0
Longevity 10.0
Scent 8.0
Simovacchi77 21 months ago
love it or hate it....no other options...I love it so muych...but I can wear it only during the winter

Popular Montale

Black Aoud by Montale Chocolate Greedy by Montale Blue Amber by Montale Red Vetiver / Red Vetyver by Montale Intense Cafe by Montale Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale Pure Gold by Montale Full Incense by Montale Soleil de Capri by Montale Greyland by Montale Sandflowers by Montale White Aoud by Montale Dark Aoud by Montale White Musk by Montale Roses Musk by Montale Aoud Musk by Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie by Montale Red Aoud by Montale Aoud Melody by Montale Patchouli Leaves by Montale