Black Aoud 2006

Black Aoud by Montale
Black Aoud is a popular perfume by Montale for men and was released in 2006. The scent is floral-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.
Scent goes well with Black Phantom Memento Mori

Cambodian oud, Indonesian patchouli, Musk, Mandarin orange, Rose, Labdanum, Sandalwood

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 13.10.2020.

Arabian Nights Meets Roses In A Rainforest
I was checking the remaining other samples of fragrances from luckyscent which a loved one had bought some time ago now, and decided to try this one after reading it was surprising that it was "pour homme". As a woman, I wanted to see how this fragrance went on my skin so, at dawn after a night without sleep - thanks to chronic pain and also a neighbour who is supposed to be a friend becoming agitated and angry about something actually rather trivial and of their own making yesterday morning which had disturbed me to the point of insomnia - I wanted to distract myself with a new fragrance, and a walk out in the cold morning air which is definitely still Wintery weather here in Australia, and where I intend to walk to the guy's house to see if he is in better spirits this morning than he was yesterday. I also wanted to try to lift my spirits after yesterday's events and the insomnia and so I applied a little bit of this from the 2ml sample onto my wrists and behind my ears.

My initial impression was immediately of a very fresh, green and fruity rose mixed with what I cano nly think is Oud(h) - an oil I've not scented before but which has a unmistakable and distinctive aroma based upon this fragrance -and there was the definite aroma of patchouli mixed with a musky rose wood scent, basically akin to rosewood and musk mixed together and wafting up from my skin.

This fragrance is quite lovely, and whilst it does indicate that it's for men, I think it works well for women. There's a strong scent of rose and combined with the musk and a fresh, herbaceous green floral aroma, this perfume is ideal for a woman who is confident and who likes rose-musk fragrances as well as the earthiness of a patchouli base. I was pleasantly reminded of some rose-musk incense sticks I use to source at a quaint little bookshop in Glebe when I was living in student accommodation during my first year at University. The bookshop always had an excellent collection of good quality incenses and I would buy these lovely rose-musk incense sticks as well as patchouli incense sticks from Nepal and India. This fragrance reminds me vividly of being in that lovely little bookshop, browsing through books and breathing in the beautiful aromas of the various incenses, especially when the musk-rose sticks were being burnt.

Initially, the scent of the Oud was quite strong and sharp and I worried that I'd end up with a headache but thankfully, after about 15 minutes, the sharpness of the Oud became a softer mixture of aromas, with rose the dominant note and blending with musk and a fruity floral herbaceous note which at the time I couldn't quite identify and then later, after looking at the ingredients, realised that this was orange mandarin which uplifted the fragrance, giving it a fresh, fruity, brighter and citrusy tone. which really uplifted the perfume and my mood which was exactly what I needed. As someone who has been involved with aromatherapy for some years now, and uses essential oils often, mandarin and citrus oils are renowned for their abilities to balance and uplift emotional states such as depression. That was a wonderful touch and I commend Montale for this.

This Montale fragrance to me is dominated by a darkly resinous rose scent which only becomes more pronounced as time goes on, and the beautiful rose gradually replaces the very strong Oud which made the opening rather sharp, nearly overpowering and actually caused my face to flush: I have mild rosacea and can't always know if certain fragrances or ingredients will set off a red flush and heat across my cheeks as this did upon opening, likely due to the Oud which isn't a fragrance I've encountered before.

This being my first experience of a fragrance containing Oud, I must say that the Oud is a very distinctive fragrance. The research into Oud or agarwood, as it's known, indicated that it's very expensive primarily because it's sourced from very specific and potentially threatened aquilaria trees and only when the heartwood of these trees becomes infected with a particular type of mould, producing a dark aromatic resin called aloes, Oud and various other names with the origin of its name most likely being of Sanskrit, formed from "Aguru" which makes sense considering that Oud appears to have been used going back several thousands of years. This resin-embedded wood is renowned in Indian and North Eastern culture for its distinctive fragrance and therefore is used in incenses and perfumes. As mentioned, the initial sharp Oud which almost overpowers ones senses on opening is softened with a fresh and dark rose and rose-wood aroma, blended with musk, the fresh floral and citrusy mandarin orange which brightens up the perfume and also ones mood and emotional state overall, and underneath there's the distinctive earthy note of patchouli which gives one the scent of damp soil from a forest.

Half an hour after first application to pulse points, I was enjoying the delicious aromas of a gentler rose and noticed the rose had softened from its initial sharp rich freshness on opening and had become much more feminine and powdery, reminiscent of a rose talcum powder. There was still the hint of musk and just a touch of the moist earthiness of the patchouli base to contain the aromas. By the time the heart notes were reached, the combination of the warm gentler almost powdery and very delicate rose fragrance blended seamlessly with musk and transported me back in time to my frequent perusals of the quaint bookshop in Glebe, only a short walk from the student Hostel I was staying in during my first year at Sydney University. As mentioned earlier, the store was where I used to peruse not only books but lovely quality incenses from Nepal and Tibet and one of my favourites were the rose-musk incense ticks as well as a particular brand of Patchouli incense. Both of these would often be burning at various times upon entering the store, and one would leave the shop with the aromas blending in ones hair and on ones clothes. This lovely blend of delicate rose and musk reminds me of those halcyon days at University.

Montale Black Aoud Pour Homme also reminded me of exploring one of the beautiful rainforests in Queensland during my summer holidays between University years where wild roses grew amongst the foliage and emitted beautiful rose scents and the earthy and moist smell of damp fertile soil underfoot rose up just as the patchouli provides a lovely base for the rose-musk- and fresh floral tones. In the dry down, after about two or three hours, the rose became more delicate and sensual and blended seamlessly with the woody notes of sandalwood whilst being rounded off by slight aromas of labdanum. The memory of being in the rainforest during my University holidays, exploring the walking tracks with loved ones, was intensified due to a hint of moss, the fragrance becoming more woody whilst the rose still takes precedence but has become sweeter and brighter, and the moist earthiness of the soil that one walks underfoot due to the patchouli. This fragrance is one I absolutely adore even though I had to rely solely on a luckyscent 2ml sample and it's my experienced to date that these samples tend to be much more concentrated than the actual bottles of EDP. Montale's Black Aoud Pour Homme does not contain too many different notes but it is blended beautifully, also suits women, and is a divine scent which I'd like to perhaps buy in the future.

Montale Black Aoud
This fragrance is a combo Rose-Oud with a base of patchouli. It opens up with a bomb of ripe red rose, accompanied by a intense and powerful indian Oud. As it starts to dry down the patchouli sweetens the scent, softening and decreasing its power. Nice unisex scent with great sillage and longevity.
Aoud for advanced users
I'm not yet at peace with the ingredient aoud - especially when it stands out dominantly from a fragrance.

And the Oud in Black does not only stand out - it determines the fragrance - very dark, so that the addition " Black " fits.

Unfortunately.

Just one spray darkens the room - and the thoughts.
Even the sky is contracting ominously and a storm is brewing.
Woody Allen would call the scent " Kafkaesque."

Oud connoisseurs will probably appreciate the " scent " - but I don't count myself among them.

Here in the Ruhrpott one would say : Smells like a cudgel on a head !
A hearty paraphrase - but one that hits the nail on the head.

Lighter oud ingredients may appeal to me from time to time - but not this black drone.

The other ingredients listed do not reach me - they remain hidden behind a heavy black curtain.

Maybe something for " black magician ?
1.5
just crass.........bad ;-(
How good that it was only 5ml that inspired me to do a test. I don't want to write a few lines here, but simply get to the point. I don't know what this smells like. It is simply a very strong and very intense soap smell! The durability and Sillage are rightly in the upper third, but what use is it to me, when after spraying it comes up to me. I know Oud from Boss, Gucci or Tom Ford, but here I don't smell any of it. I'm sorry not to describe to you in more detail what my nose has perceived here in terms of scents. Soapy, strongly medically unpleasant easy for me, which was not lost even after 20 - 30 minutes. Sorry, we're more likely to become enemies than friends
In the name of the rose
First of all, the Sillage is above average, so I find Black Auod a bit too intrusive. Rose is clearly dominant for me, so the fragrance is naturally very flowery. Spicy, oriental and fresh, the thoroughly pleasant fragrance is accompanied. Overall, this fragrance is rather unisex for me
4.5

Strong stuff!
It seems like this stuff is better sprayed on the hand or wrist - stay away from your neck and chest with this stuff. But either way, my tongue still tastes the chemicals (gross!). And the smell isn't all that good.

Akela
It's only for those who like perfumes!
Good ... crazy ... the tastes are not discussed! I personally like it. But my wife was hurt in the stomach after smelling it! The truth that at the opening smells of dressing .. as they are in hospitals! Then slowly it turns into a rose smell - oud! It's not really a smell ... universally pleasant !!!

Elegant agarwood
Definitely one of the best fragrances in my collection. I don't want to talk around the bush, and I'll get to the point right away.
At the first spray, one turns away, because the heavy woody spicy notes bite in the nose. Over time, however, Black Aoud develops into something very elegant, calming and balsamic. This fragrance is oriental, but not conspicuously oriental.
I can personally perceive Oud, but it is not as present as the rose, but both are very balanced and therefore the fragrance is also quite mysterious and elegant.
The individual fragrances are well selected, as is the quality of the oils.
A short experience from me:
I put 2 sprayers on my left arm this morning, but I had to go out and swim in the meantime. Of course Black Oud is still very present, the little splashing and showering didn't bother the mysterious gentleman :)

Definitely a buy tip, but test before announced...

Oud and Rose Mashup Punch...Unisex
One side Oud power and the other side Rose lady. It's a kind of punchy unisex oud fragrance. Longevity and sillage are unbeatable. The very first day in my office, my colleague started complemented me. I am expecting more on the coming days. Only two sprays are enough to highlight your presence in a crowd. This is definitely a daytime fragrance but not for dating or night out. Fragrance lasts for two days in my experience but the first 12 hours. Boom Boom Oud Rose punch. Thank you Montale.

Vade retro!
Let’s start with the good news: nearly all ouds by Montale share the same exact boring artificial oud notes, while Black Aoud doesn’t really. It’s very different from any other oud scent by Montale (still good news here), and actually it doesn’t seem containing oud notes in the first place for me. The bad news is that it would have been so better if it was “just another oud by Montale”. Because as is, it smells revolting for me. It’s basically an extremely dry, bitter, bold, rather pungent, extremely artificial and overwhelmingly horrid woody-patchouli powerhouse drenched in latex, with some faint rose-musky notes and an Oriental aura of dark spices, also slightly infused with something resembling to coffee. Basically Van Cleef pour Homme, Boucheron Homme and A*Men Cuir having a threesome in a seedy sex club scented with some supermarket rose room spray. And despite I am a fan of powerhouses, even the cheaper ones, I find this a complete failure. It’s just too much. And not “too dark” or “too daring”. Just “too garbage”. It smells really too cheap, acrid, vile and screechy to be even barely wearable just for fun. And also, it seems to me completely uninspired and uncreative, given that it clumsily emulates a type of scent – the zombie macho drugstore powerhouse – you can get with a fraction of its price. Just get Van Cleef pour Homme, let it rot for a while, paint it in pink, here’s Black Aoud. The drydown is tolerable (maybe it’s just the relief speaking), but all in all it’s still an abysmal pointless experience I wouldn’t really recommend.

4,5-5/10

Finerthings8Finerthings8 28 days ago
Like many other Montales , it is super synthetic, not original, nuclear performance and cheap/ugly bottle. It is way overpriced for what it
MilanM90MilanM90 7 months ago
Synthetic, heavy, dark, nauseous.... Not for everybody. Silage and Longevity are god but not like Aoud Musk.
SergioTSergioT 8 months ago
Love this. Medical, iodine kinda vibe, with a strong rose and a powdery oud and patch combo. Very goth and unisex.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 9 months ago
A strong balsamic rose oud perfume with a huge performance! Best oud by Montale? Well, I prefer his Dark Oud and the Saffron Oud options.
ItchynoseItchynose 19 months ago
Rose, oud and a hint of sandalwood... an intense and masculine version of Guerlain's Santal Royal.
SamuelGustavSamuelGustav 2 years ago
Just don't smell it to close to the skin, like most montale DNA fragrances with that same chemically synthetic musk
RajeshKumarRajeshKumar 4 years ago
Oud and Rose mashup punch
Simovacchi77Simovacchi77 5 years ago
love it or hate it....no other options...I love it so muych...but I can wear it only during the winter

by jakdelind
by MrC0rnells
by Splashfrag12
by Splashfrag12

Popular Montale

Full Incense by Montale Red Vetiver / Red Vetyver by Montale Intense So Iris by Montale Blue Amber by Montale Intense Cafe by Montale Sensual Instinct by Montale Vetiver Patchouli by Montale Aoud Musk by Montale Oud Tobacco by Montale Patchouli Leaves by Montale Chocolate Greedy by Montale Oud Dream by Montale Dark Aoud by Montale Vanille Absolu by Montale Aoud Melody by Montale Soleil de Capri by Montale Arabians Tonka by Montale Aoud Safran by Montale Greyland by Montale Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale