Blue Amber (2006)

Blue Amber by Montale

Blue Amber is a popular perfume by Montale for women and men and was released in 2006. The scent is spicy-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Geranium
Heart Notes Heart NotesCoriander, Vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Patchouli, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 07.07.2020.

For Amber Lovers
I am still trying to understand what it is that is so "blue" about this amber. Perhaps the cool notes used in the formula or the calming note of bourbon geranium? In which case would make it a metaphor.

Blue Amber opens up minutely spicy and herbaceous. The combination is almost medicinal, but soon dissipates leaving you with a cozy, creamy, yet powdery dry down. This particular amber gets straight to the point, but holds little complexity.

How does this differ from Histoire's Ambre 114? Thyme, nutmeg, sandalwood, cedarwood. Which makes Ambre 114 perfectly gender neutral, drawing the line down the middle. Blue Amber lacks those wood notes, so it leans ever so slightly feminine, but everyone's perception is different. While Histoire's Ambre 114 has more depth, Montale fragrances are more concentrated. This was not intended to be a groundbreaking fragrance, but one that caters to amber lovers.
Back 2 the 70s
Sorry - but I can't! My grandma smelled like this over 40 years ago!
I don't know what it was, but she always had TOSCA on her! Is that how TOSCA smells? I'll have to check...
This one can't have been it: it's only been around since 2006!

The scent is actually quite good - but the memory (and scents go there immediately - whether you like it or not) predominates here and therefore "grays" me almost.
I liked the smell at that time already somehow, but it was just so something of intrusive - and this is it today also!

A steam hammer from the first second on and he stays it laaaange!
I don't think it's the Amber, because I really like him...!?
Unfortunately I can't filter it out, but for me it remains the same fragrance from beginning to end: sweet and "old" - no change, no nuances.

Too bad, because the Sillage is good, the durability exceptional!
Sorry I can't describe him anymore, but it was too long for a statement.
I don't need it anyway - but: made it is certainly good and has certainly a very good quality.
As so often, the scent can't help that I don't like it (although I think it's good); therefore a balanced 5!

Meggi
The most amazing thing is a "not."
What's that, a Montale? Cause right after I spray it on, I smell... nothing. Of course relatively seen - that is: for Montale conditions. The fragrance takes about a minute to get off to a serious start. Only the rose geranium is already groping its way; scratchy, but also with something ethereal and biting. A hint of vanilla creeps behind.

Once the journey has begun, I find the association with cold ointment described above understandable, but it seems rather moderate to me. Also quite natural medicine. Plantago Bronchial Balsam from Wala maybe. The impression is probably fed by the funny, ethereal-fresh rose geranium. In contrast, I find a gently sweetened adhesive plaster note in the phase following much more noticeable. Besides, it smells a little like cough syrup. Prospan or so.

Amber - joah. The slightly sugary one of the middle morning should be him, flanked by a bitter trace that I do not come on the same one. Kind of herbaceous potato. I don't know, I don't know. Anyway, Mr Amber takes the sweeter direction around noon, I think again of plasters, whitish-sweetish. That's odd. A rough, scratchy base now also refers to patchouli. Today the vanilla-patchouli-combi seems to be a bit grumpy, "mona-esk" so to speak.

In the course of time it becomes more familiar again: Vanilla intervenes more courageously and continues to form the bracket around various amberies, which on the one hand remind me somewhat of plastic and wax and on the other hand do not neglect a certain (patchouli)-dustiness. This final chord accompanies me into the evening.

Conclusion: The most amazing thing about the fragrance is that it doesn't scream like other Montales. Otherwise I find it exactly as thrilling as the above explanations sound.

I thank MisterE for the rehearsal.
Stormy reception
Today I picked a midnight blue bottle from the shining Montale sea of bottles because the colour appealed to me.

But I sprayed carefully because fragrances of this brand can surprise in any direction.

And promptly an acetonic smell mixed with alcohol and a few drops of gasoline hits me.

I'm irritated, but not scared.
My children's nose liked to sniff at acetone-containing nail polish removers, and even the smell of petrol always attracted me.
Moreover, this melange is transparent - but admittedly very peculiar.

After I had trimmed enough, this extraordinary note vanished again and made way for spiced flowers.
Blue Amber becomes soft, powdery and loose.
Patch and unsweet vanilla now unfold their oriental side.
The amber of the name stands elegantly but discreetly in the background.

A special prelude to a powdery oriental theme.

Definitely interesting.
Baby Powder Bomb
When I sprayed this fragrance on I expected a soft vanilla effusion. Instead, I got the feeling I slipped with the baby powder can. Among the powdery scents I've been allowed to smell so far, this one takes the throne here. In the beginning you smell a spice in combination with the powder, but after an hour the scent settles and what remains is a distinct powder smell that lasts for hours. If you go up close with your nose and inhale strongly, you will smell some vanilla, which fits well.
It all sounds very intimidating now, but if you like powdery scents, Blue Amber is just the thing. I personally find the fragrance too intense at first, but after 1-2 hours it takes on an intensity that I find very pleasant. After 10 hours night shift, only a gentle breath of baby powder was left.
In my opinion it is not a masculine fragrance, but it can be worn by men who do not have to compensate for their lack of masculinity with perfumes.
A strong appearance
Blue Amber begins citric - herbaceous, but also flowery - creamy.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfuma "Lenchen81" for the sample.

The first thing you can perceive is a very intense citric, slightly herbaceous note, which also stings a little bit in the nose and is due to the bergamot.

In the background a full floral nuance can be perceived, which also brings a beautiful creamy aura and comes from the rose geranium.

This constellation is perceptible on my skin for 20 minutes before the heart note unfolds.

Now an intense aromatic-spicy note can be perceived, which gives the heart note a strong, distinctive accent and is due to the coriander.

The coriander is surrounded by a fine sweetish, slightly tart note, which gives the fragrance a pleasant depth and is derived from vetiver.

The heart note is perceptible on my skin for 4 hours before the base asserts itself.

A very dense and full sweet-spicy note can now be perceived, which gives the base very intense cuddly attributes and is due to the amber.

At the same time a fine creamy, discreetly sweet, slightly floral scent is perceptible, which merges with the but into a whole and comes from the vanilla.

These two notes are underpinned by an earthy nuance, which is responsible for giving the fragrance a nice depth and a pleasant finish, and is derived from patchouli.

Blue Amber is a wonderful companion in the autumn and winter months, for the woman and man over 30 who are looking for a very distinctive, strongly changing fragrance.

In total the fragrance lasts 8 hours on my skin.

From the beginning, the Sillage is designed to be clearly perceived at one arm's length, and this is maintained for 3.5 hours before it is reduced in calm steps until the fragrance finally fades away completely.

Blue Amber
Wear a blue velvet jacket & toss your other amber perfumes.

This is amber the way it should be: teasing in the opening, surrounded by bergamot and geranium for sparks; giving in to vanilla in the process, but never too sweet; only just kept in pace by coriander and vetiver.
Really, no need to look any further, this is the best amber I found after years of investigation. (insert smiley with pipe).

Thank you Montale.

Nice golden brown amber!
Rich minerale amber, with spices (for me mainly corriander), some geranium, patchouli and powdery vanilla. It has a "creamy" texture, and I can wholeheartedly agree with @sherapop, that this is more brown/light brown than blue, or if I must call it blue, I would do so because it is really a warm scent. It smells rather sweet but not cloying. Blue Amber is also very relaxing, and I can imagine wearing this both a normal day, or a more intimate night. Sillage and longevity are both good.

........
You can find me on Fragrantca under the same username!

Amber reference
Sweet amber and that's it. The sweetest (but not cloying) pure amber.

The opening is a bit spicy, but then dries down to a goergeous amber and vanilla smell.

Much more wearable than Ambre Sultan, its very mineral. For me this is as good as Ambre Précieux, but this one has better lasting power.

Definetely a wonderful amber.

Updated January 2014

SergioTSergioT 131 days ago
One of my favorite ambers. Sweet, longlasting and powdery. Bears striking resemblances with HdP 114. Great one from Montale.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 17 months ago
Citrus & floral notes at the opening are soon replaced by thick, creamy, sweet amber, herbs & spices. Probably the best amber of Montale!

Dschungel
by ChatonNoir
Amber ohne gelb?
by TomLavender
das amber in diesem duft erinnert mich sehr an ein stückchen echten grauen amber, das ich in indien kaufte, sehr authentisch! blue amber ist für mich ein absolut essentieller duft
by Couchlock
by Miaw2
by Miaw2
Montale - Blue Amber 100ml EDP

Popular Montale

Full Incense by Montale Intense So Iris by Montale Red Vetiver / Red Vetyver by Montale Intense Cafe by Montale Black Aoud by Montale Vetiver Patchouli by Montale Aoud Musk by Montale Sensual Instinct by Montale Patchouli Leaves by Montale Dark Aoud by Montale Chocolate Greedy by Montale Aoud Melody by Montale Vanille Absolu by Montale Soleil de Capri by Montale Aoud Safran by Montale White Musk by Montale Greyland by Montale Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale Louban by Montale Oudmazing by Montale