Powder Flowers

Powder Flowers by Montale
Where to buy?
Powder Flowers is a perfume by Montale for women. The release year is unknown. The scent is flowery-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Jasmine, Osmanthus, Rose, Tonka bean, Cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 06.02.2017

Scent 8.0/10
1 Award
dirty skin scent
Yes, that's right, Montale Powder Flowers is a dirty skin scent.

I've tried this on numerous occasions when just out of the shower. I'm met with a long-lasting blast of aldehydes, which are not my friend. It's like Chanel 5 to me ... way too much of a good thing. I can sense the quality of this Mondale fragrance, and that's there is lots more to it. However, the aldehydes are overwhelming.

However, when sprayed on not-so pristine, clean skin, Powder Flowers is just lovely on me. Yes, it is still aldehydic, but that that tends to soapy on me. The real difference between clean and dirty skin is the development of the fragrance. On dirty skin, I get a soapy rose on woods. It's very Samsara, but not quite as loud.

Not always even in wear, but one to try if you like aldehydes, soap, or Samara.
Sillage 7.5/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 7.0/10
5 Awards
Unsweetened Loukhoum
Unsweetened loukhoum may sound like a contradiction in terms, I am well aware, but it dawned on me this evening that that is precisely what Montale POWDER FLOWERS smells like to me. Not artificially sweetened loukhoum, with sucralose or nutrasweet or saccharine or cyclamates--no, that would be repulsive. Nor even lightly sweetened, "low sugar" loukhoum. No, to my nose, POWDER FLOWERS is the result which one would achieve if sugar were omitted altogether from the recipe.

Powdery, lightly flowery, with rose petals dusted with something pulverized and white but no sugar added whatsoever. I love this scent. It used to remind me of Charles Brosseau L'OMBRE ROSE, and I suppose that it still does vaguely during part of its life. The powdery aspect is very calming, and the composition is rich and airy at the same time. The alkaloid quality which makes loukhoum perfumes addictive to me is present here, but the super-sweetness is utterly absent. Tonka bean is listed among the notes of POWDER FLOWERS, but this is not sweet at all to my nose.

I generally drink beverages such as coffee and tea without sugar. I may add cream to coffee or a stout Assam tea, but I would not add sugar. I may add lemon to certain varieties of tea, and especially when it is iced, but I do not add sugar. In this case, too, I find the powdery flowers (and, yes, this perfume is well named!) to be even more appealing without than with the sugar added. I have to be in a very particular mood to be able to wear a sweet loukhoum perfume, but POWDER FLOWERS is an all-occasion scent and one of the more feminine offerings from the house of Montale. There is no oud within three thousand miles of this perfume!

-------------------------
caveat emptor: I recently (in 2014) tried another sample of this perfume which smelled completely different from the above description. More like a sticky fruity-floral.
2 Awards
No surprises here, it's powder!
Montale Powder Flowers has an extended opening that is just like Johnson's Baby Powder -- except for the whisper of the heart notes waiting underneath.

The heart blooms with rose and jasmine, which slowly come to accompany the translucent baby powder overlay. The rose note is like the light, open rose of Montale Golden Aoud, not like the dark, sinister roses of Black Aoud. I also detect the tiniest bit of osmanthus.

The drydown is a sweet, vanilla-tinged cedar.

Powder Flowers is, unsurprisingly, powdery almost throughout. It is also substantive and very long-lasting, like all Montale creations.

Popular Montale

Black Aoud by Montale Chocolate Greedy by Montale Blue Amber by Montale Red Vetiver / Red Vetyver by Montale Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale Intense Cafe by Montale Pure Gold by Montale Full Incense by Montale Soleil de Capri by Montale Greyland by Montale Sandflowers by Montale White Aoud by Montale Dark Aoud by Montale Roses Musk by Montale White Musk by Montale Aoud Musk by Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie by Montale Red Aoud by Montale Dark Purple / Black Purple by Montale Aoud Melody by Montale