Red Aoud

(2008)
Red Aoud by Montale
Compare Prices
Red Aoud (Montale)
Red Aoud is a popular perfume by Montale for women and men and was released in 2008. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesOud, Pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesCaraway, Saffron
Base Notes Base NotesOrris root, Vetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 18.05.2017

Sillage 7.5/10
Scent 6.0/10
3 Awards
Sweet Start, Strong Finish
MONTALE RED AOUD is a hot scent for a cold night, where you're escorted past the velvet rope and invited to the VIP section. But, nah, the woman in RED AOUD is ready to go home and have sex.

From roses to a slinky vanilla, all with projection and longevity--talk to me lover!
Bottle 5.0/10
Sillage 10.0/10
Longevity 10.0/10
Scent 10.0/10
Helpful Review    3 Awards
Masterpiece!
Along with White Aoud, Red Aoud is definetely one of the best Montale's releases.

It smells heavenly and it's a masterpiece from this house in my opinion.

Oud is not loud/harsh and does not play the main role here. Lots of pepper, caraway, sweet roses and orris root give it a depth and a nice amount of sweetness.

It's sweet and warm, and trully unisex.

Sometimes it reminds me of Dior Homme Intense. Thumbs up for this masterpiece.

Updated January 2014
Helpful Review    3 Awards
Best of the Fresh
Montale Red Aoud surprised me with a blast of sweetness straight out of the sprayer. I initially tested on the back of my hand but it was instant love so I decided to empty my tiny partially used sample vial. Soon after a full application, I noticed the freshness of this scent. This is a rich, opulent sweet freshness that I could not ignore. I was pretty impressed because I expected a heavy, dark, pungent Oud but instead I got a niche quality gourmand with a masculine edge. I did not detect the Oud note until around 8 hours after I first applied.

I continued to get delicious whiffs throughout the day but I beamed as a salesperson stuttered through his spiel because it was interrupted three times by, "Damn you smell good!"

Of the notes listed, my nose only knows Oud and vetiver. I suppose the vetiver can account for the freshness but the sweetness remains a mystery. I would compare this gem to Taueraide but I won't because both can't be Best but they are running neck in neck for Fresh.
Scent 9.0/10
Helpful Review    4 Awards
Roses are Red and so is Aoud...
The top stage may give a slight headache. It was powerful, deep and penetrating.

I was disappointed, at first, right after a spray. I thought oh no, this is the same as Montale Aoud Lime. Aoud Lime is a hate to my nose, gave me the strongest headache just by a spray. I thought this Red Aoud has the same attack on me, but only, I smell rose (though not listed), pepper, along with the moderate aoud. But as seconds passed, it is not as terrible cloy as it was like Aoud Lime.

In fact, the scent is very attractive, lovely, I just have to convince myself that this cloying stage would be over soonest and it did. Don't get me wrong but this top stage is a stunning fragrance. I did my first test inside my bedroom under a normal room temperature.

Few minutes after, I was mesmerized by how the scent performed a wonderful floral and woody dance that my nose and smelling perception was hypnotized to utmost admiration & joy. The heart to base was on my skin, linear, the blend of light rose, strong spices and aoud done just right, all the way, amazed my heart to beat along this fragrance dance. A formal romantic dance with a beautiful woman, wearing a gorgeous, sleeveless red dress. Her charm was very inviting. Her aura captivates anyone, woman and man, within her sight. That was how I imagine Red Aoud on my nose, with just a decent spray.

Two weeks after, I decided to wear this on a minus 18 winter mid afternoon, two sprays, going on a friend's birthday bash. I met two female friends at a cafe, before heading to the celebrant's pad. I brought with me my sample, to ready a spray should I stay at the occasion for the next 5 hours or so. At the cafe, they smelled a whiff & right then, I received wonderful compliments, asking me to share a tiny spray to their wrists. We all felt the rose, the unfamiliar aoud scent, the blend of a fragrance perfection.

As we are at the party, Red Aoud projected in the living room, like the gorgeous dancer in red dress, it floats everywhere, wanting to be noticed, balmy, woody, some fruity & floral, synthetic in the best way & well spiced. It was this wonderfully infecting our senses that it came to be a topic for a while. I have no choice but to spit out her name.. Montale Red Aoud

The next morning, after an evening of fun and a few drinks, I took a shower and to my surprise, I can still smell this beautiful perfume on my skin. I was convinced that this beauty is an immortal. A beast in projection, a goddess in longevity, a fragrance to desire and to possess.
Sillage 7.5/10
Scent 5.0/10
4 Awards
Am I wearing Serge Lutens or Montale?
Tonight after my bath, I decided to play a bit of Montale roulette, which involves reaching into my hat box (seriously...) of samples from this house and wearing whatever I happen to select. RED OUD it was.

These are carded manufacturer samples, so there is really no way that I can blame this on some lame decanter who answered the phone in the midst of my order fulfillment. No. This perfume really and truly came from the top-secret headquarters in an undisclosed place where weird tubular aerodynamic bottles are so often filled with perfumes which make me swoon. I was excited for a couple of minutes as I relished the prospect of yet another gorgeous rose-oud perfume from this house. No, there cannot be too many!

Alas, what I found when I donned this oddball creation was complete and utter confusion. No rose, that seemed clear. But what was it that I smelled? Could it be... no, I could not believe and applied more waiting a minute before smelling my arm. Yes, I'm afraid I was right: in the opening wafts I clearly detected....caramel corn!

After that, the perfume became less sweet but still retained a kind of corn-y flavor in the background, along with what appeared to be oud and possibly ambergris. Looking now at the notes, I don't really know what to say--or to think, except that perhaps this equation is valid, at least according to my nose:

saffron + cumin + pepper + some unlisted source of sweetness + vetiver + orris root
=
caramel corn, which morphs into an utterly indescribable mélange de je ne sais quoi que je ne veux plus porter!

Désolée, Pierre, Atmeh, or reasonable facsimile.

Time to return to the hat box...

---
update: I initially gave this a rating of 30%. However, later in the evening I discovered that it smells quite nice on HRH Emperor Oliver. Probably best for gents, then. I now rate it 50%. Cumin does not work with me but somehow it blends well with cat fur. (-;

Popular Montale

Black Aoud by Montale Chocolate Greedy by Montale Blue Amber by Montale Red Vetiver / Red Vetyver by Montale Intense Cafe by Montale Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale Pure Gold by Montale Full Incense by Montale Soleil de Capri by Montale Greyland by Montale Sandflowers by Montale White Aoud by Montale Dark Aoud by Montale White Musk by Montale Roses Musk by Montale Aoud Musk by Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie by Montale Red Aoud by Montale Aoud Melody by Montale Patchouli Leaves by Montale