Sandflowers

Sandflowers by Montale

Sandflowers is a perfume by Montale for women and men. The release year is unknown. The scent is aquatic-spicy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesAlgae, Aquatic notes, Seawater
Heart Notes Heart NotesSpices, Juniper berry
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Sandalwood

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 01.03.2020.

For sandpipers
Despite its marine aquatic environment, this Montale looks on the one hand moist, but on the other hand dry, like the fine sand on which you walk barefoot.

It doesn't stick to the skin - and you don't sink into it with difficulty.
The air is ozone rich and soft, with a slight salt note.
Spice is also in the air, and something vegetable.
I suppose it's beach oats mixed with yellow flowers growing on the dunes.

I don't notice any algae - although there is a subtle green note.
The dry breeze is cuddly due to sandal, but remains airy.
Also oakmoss does not weigh down the scent, but gives depth and durability without being bitter.

A scent for sandpipers, but also good to wear indoors.

A wonderful memory
About 20 years ago, I was on vacation in Morocco with my family. I must say that we like to do adventurous things, like cutting straight through the desert with our Fiat Uno only armed with a compass, when the wind had blown sand across the roads, or for the simple reason to go fast.

One day we saw two little boys who were standing at the side of the road and were stopping cars. We stopped, took them in and drove them to their place of home.

When I remember back now, to this day I cannot figure out how to interpret the look on their father's face. Was it horror that the boys went on a ride with strangers, or was it surprise that we brought them home? Anyway, we were invited into a large Bedouin tent which was put up in the middle of the desert. We were offered heavily sweetened tea and sat on piles of rugs. My mom and I received silver bracelets and carpets were promised to our men (my dad and my brother). My mom brought out salted peanuts which were not really appreciated by our hosts. Using "hands and feet" to explain, plus the little broken English they had, they insisted that nuts are sweet and therefore the salt is not appropriate.

This day in the desert is etched in my memory. And this is exactly what "Sandflowers" smells like: Dry heat, desert sand, salt, aromatic notes, and a whiff of sunscreen which was a must for our pale faces.

This fragrance seems to confuse other people - I have already heard "you smell like a caramel biscuit" or "are you wearing 'Sunflowers' today?"

The sillage is amazing ... even after 4 hours, my colleagues in the office could still point out the room where I had been last. I myself can still detect a faint scent of "Sandflowers" on my skin after 6 hours. On clothing, guaranteed to the next day.

Originally I had expected a desert memory association from another scent 'Saharienne' which is a pleasant enough perfume but has nothing to do with the Sahara.

Oh yes, half a year later, rugs were delivered to us by mail.

Juniper-infused Aqua Motu?
Montale SANDFLOWERS evokes immediate memories of Comptoir Sud Pacifique AQUA MOTU. Something about the algae and the sea water. In waves, SANDFLOWERS has a strange oriental vibe to go with the muskiness. AQUA MOTU is even muskier and perhaps more musky than aquatic. The biggest difference between the two is the juniper in SANDFLOWERS, which is quite marked especially the opening, making this creation seem rather aromatic and the algae very mossy and green.

My understanding is that Pierre Montale was formerly associated with Comptoir Sud Pacifique, I presume as the perfumer. The similarity between SANDFLOWERS and AQUA MOTU may not therefore be my imagination! The bottles are similar, except that the Montale version of the aluminum can ends up looking sleek and niche, while the Comptoir Sud Pacifique version imparts the decided impression of being some kind of budget drugstore body spray. Is it just the trinket on the Montale that makes the difference? I don't know exactly why, but I really like the Montale bottles and really dislike the Comptoir Sud Pacifique bottles.

I am not much for aquatic fragrances, so SANDFLOWERS is not really my kind of thing, but anyone who likes AQUA MOTU is bound to like this composition, which is unisex and even leaning a bit toward the masculine side. I consider this to be an atypical perfume for Montale. It seems more like a vacation scent to me. Maybe it should be called SAND DOLLARS?

HajuvanaHajuvana 3 years ago
Menthol, parsley and non-cloying green coconut. Weak sillage, yet superb longevity. Worth a try.

Popular Montale

Full Incense by Montale Intense So Iris by Montale Red Vetiver / Red Vetyver by Montale Blue Amber by Montale Intense Cafe by Montale Black Aoud by Montale Sensual Instinct by Montale Vetiver Patchouli by Montale Aoud Musk by Montale Patchouli Leaves by Montale Chocolate Greedy by Montale Dark Aoud by Montale Vanille Absolu by Montale Aoud Melody by Montale Oud Tobacco by Montale Soleil de Capri by Montale Oud Dream by Montale White Musk by Montale Aoud Safran by Montale Greyland by Montale