Sweet Oriental Dream

Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale

Sweet Oriental Dream is a perfume by Montale for women and men. The release year is unknown. The scent is sweet-gourmand. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Rosa centifolia, Almond, Honey

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 08.11.2019

2.0 8.0 10.0 2.5/10

The OVERKILL or better: GDR - Baby powder Elasan
If you love Sweet Oriental, you shouldn't read my commentary without a GDR past. I'd be happy to get myself stoned for that, too. But what other commentators describe as sweet and sweet, my olfactory bulb does not perceive as gourmand. It's the only overkill!

After some years break I am again on the way on parfumo.de and came across the following descriptions. I'm thrilled. Three days later, the postman rings. Full of anticipation, I spray away and almost suffocate. A coughing fit and mild nausea follow. And immediately comes the association to the baby powder Elasan from the GDR. I almost forgot the scent! Dry as dust he came out of the blue plastic box onto my sister's popöchen.
Today as then: it does not develop, remains rigid, almost penetrating. You're powdered once and for all. Basta.
I'm focusing on not thinking about Elasan. I smell vanilla in manuka honey that I recently bought. Somehow, a whiff of mildly flavoured pipe tobacco from the can, which I know from my father, also flits by. Cover it up and go for it! There's the baby powder again. I get a light headache.

I ask my husband what it reminds him of. And zap, as if shot out of a pistol: "Pooh! Pooh, baby powder! No way! They must have analyzed it with a mass spectrometer and cribbed it. And they sell that dear? What an insolence!"
We both agree. With sugar, my beloved vanilla, almonds and all the other things that are swarmed around here, this scent only has to do with kilometres of approach. Sorry, but that's all there is to this fragrance. Also I see little resemblance to the wonderful Loukhoum of Keiko Mecheri.

Fragrance sensations are and should be so different. Mine are unfortunately only excessively strained with Sweet Oriental. That's why I now follow my washing compulsion and spray myself afterwards with a real gourmand for the benefit of time.

Help!!!!! My arm's already red from scrubbing! This stuff just can't be washed off! Never again!
9.0/10

sweet oriental dream
if you like loukhoum by keiko mecheri or the lutens loukhoum creation you will probably like this ,in my opinion the best gourmand ever created
10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Postumo
One of the best in my collection
I have to say that the first time I tried SOD i didn't like it that much, but with a few wearings I fell in love with it powdery sweetness that never gets cloying (though the first impressions make you think It could become a cloying mes, but it doesn't).

I got 20ml free from an order to Montale, later 50ml...later 100ml. I love the perfect mix of rose, almonds (most almondy fragrances feel too "plasticky" to my nose, but this don't), spices and vainilla. It last for ages with a very good sillage. I love to get constant whiffs of my fragrance and I enjoy the aura this fragrance gives me.

Definitely unisex. Most of my friends love it and ask me for a little so they can wear it every now and then.
10.0/10

Delicious Loukhoum
This is wonderfully delicious! I adore the scent of Loukhoum and this is as delectable as that Turkish delight gets. A mouthwatering combination of almond, vanilla, honey and sugar with lovely hints of rose in the background. I was taken with this fragrance from first sniff ... sweet, luscious and nutty. If you like Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum (like I do), they're very similar but Montale Sweet Oriental Dream is even creamier on the skin.
5.0 10.0 10.0 2.0/10

No oriental delight
I personally CANNOT wear this oriental dessert: loads of honey, nougat, sugar, vanilla, rose-jam equal a "loukhum perfume" without the oriental delight, without any delight whatsoever. Hints of the "in-house built in" standard aoud-accord render the scent even worse and add up to one sickly sweet, cloying mess. Beware: This one is head-ache inducing and there's nearly no way of escaping it once it is on your skin, the ultra-potent mix lasts for ages. One of the worst Montales I ever tried.
5.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Sweet---check. Oriental---check. Dream---check.
For loukhoum lovers only, Montale SWEET ORIENTAL DREAM is just that. To my nose, this composition is slightly less sweet than my memory of the first perfume in the Keiko Mecheri trio. However, my reception of the KM loukhoum perfumes may very well have been affected by my non-expectations of super-sweetness, given that I had no idea at the time what loukhoum even was!

My suspicion is that some reviewers of SWEET ORIENTAL DREAM (at other sites), too, lacked previous loukhoum experience. What is even more strange, given the name, is that people are complaining that this perfume is sweet. This is a rare case of total truth in advertising! I could definitely understand such complaints, were this perfume simply named ORIENTAL DREAM and marketed as unisex. Then any guy who purchased this scent unsniffed would have a valid claim in requesting a full refund. In this case, however, the sweetness is unabashedly and unapologetically revealed up front and center. If you do not like sweet perfumes, why in the world would you be purchasing something called SWEET ORIENTAL DREAM? Perhaps reviewers simply like to bitch in general. That would explain why they get all bent out of shape whether the name falsely or accurately claims to be this or that thing. But I digress...

SWEET ORIENTAL DREAM is a confectionary perfume with more almond nougat than anything else. The roses are akin to the ones made out of frosting and poised atop store-baked birthday and wedding cakes. But anyone who is actually looking for a loukhoum perfume should give this one a try, provided that they have a triple expresso and a pitcher of ice water close by! The longevity of this perfume is typical for loukhoum-centric compositions, at least those I've tried: quasi-infinite. Loukhoum sticks around until you submerge your perfumed naked body in a bath! That's a good thing if you like it, but a precaution to those who are testing for the very first time.

A fine loukhoum perfume, in my estimation, but it is what it is, and it's not what it's not. If you have not yet walked down loukhoum lane, this would be an excellent place to start (and, for many, to finish).

Lexa 3 years ago
Pierre cherié,you've made it! You actually succeeded creating the sweetness of sweetness in parfumery.Vanilled almonds sunk in honey.Sweet!+2

by Lasisa
by Lasisa
by Gwiazdka72
by Gwiazdka72
by Dalma
by Dalma

Popular Montale

Black Aoud by Montale Chocolate Greedy by Montale Blue Amber by Montale Intense Cafe by Montale Red Vetiver / Red Vetyver by Montale Full Incense by Montale Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale Pure Gold by Montale Soleil de Capri by Montale Greyland by Montale Sandflowers by Montale Dark Aoud by Montale Roses Musk by Montale Aoud Musk by Montale White Aoud by Montale White Musk by Montale Dark Purple / Black Purple by Montale Patchouli Leaves by Montale Intense So Iris by Montale Red Aoud by Montale