White Musk

White Musk by Montale

White Musk is a perfume by Montale for women and men. The release year is unknown. The scent is powdery-floral. It is still in production.

Geranium, Musk, Violet, Ylang-ylang

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 08.07.2020.

Prada L'Homme the Montale way
I've been looking for a good scent for a while now, a scent that I can wear either in casual settings or in the office, a scent that is clean and fresh and at the same time doesn't fog my surroundings too much. Preferably something floral and not citric and also unisex.

A classic on the market for an office environment is from the designer corner ja Prada L'Homme, lovingly praised by the German YouTuber "JF" as "best soap fragrance on the market with a luxury touch". Yes, Prada L'Homme smells great, but is zero on my skin, so my search for a fragrance with a similar profile began. With Montale White Musk I might have found what I was looking for. But the scent DNA of White Musk and L'Homme is by no means comparable, a glance at the scent pyramids is enough to understand that. But what they are comparable in is the "type" of fragrances: gentle, pure, floral, like freshly washed laundry.

How musk smells in its pure form, I don't really have any idea. I even read that some people can't perceive musk at all. Again and again, perfumes have musk in the base note and I always wondered what exactly musk smells like? White Musk seems to enlighten me a bit, because (white) musk is supposed to be in here a lot. First of all, the fragrance is very clearly white-floral in its character. The linearity of the scent doesn't seem to bother me, which makes White Musk as a perfume easy to understand. Although Montale, especially because of his affinity to oriental scents, often brings real powerhouses on the market ( -> Oud Blablabla), White Musk belongs to those who are rather reserved. However, reserved doesn't mean directly skin-tight, at least for the first one and a half hours the scent still projects noticeably well on my skin.

By a sweet-floral and very subtle animal note, that's how I would describe this musk, the shelf life of Montale White Musk is noticeably extended up to 8 hours (that's about 8 times longer than Prada on my skin). Exactly this note makes the fragrance a unisex fragrance for me, too, which is basically feminine with flowery and soapy nuances, but I would definitely wear it as a man
Related to baby powder
Clean- pure- fresh. Tested him with Clair De musc, Serge Lutens. The former is beguilingly flowery, feminine. Stronger performance. When I couldn't smell it anymore, I switched to cdm. Much less flowery, more balanced in the mixture of cleanliness.
Bad tongues think if you don't want to wash, just use this perfume
Tanninaz
Not just clean, but pure
An absolute fresh laundry washing powder fragrance. Clementine says hello. And some floral appeal. Extremely durable on the skin for such a clean fragrance, but knitted a bit simple overall. But it can be neatly layered with too sweet flower scents to reduce them. Worn alone, absolutely suitable for office use and does not bother anyone.

This was nice; I'll leave it for the Zombies
I love clean musk fragrances. But in a sea of variations on a common theme, I don't think the stars will ever align for me on this one. It is quite unremarkable. Does it smell good? Yes, totally decent. Outstanding sillage and if the Body Shop White Musk isn't loud enough for you- check this out, for sure! White Musk is all that it can be- fresh, light, synthetic a little powdery and green. It is in that safe zone of clean side musky perfect for day wear- it's not too sweet or cloying and it is unisex for sure. But unexceptional for the house of Montale. I was so excited on my fragrance journey to encounter the complete line of currently available Montale scents, with so many raves about "Intense Cafe", "Fruit of the Musk", "Red Aoud" and others...I almost forgot to sample this one, inspite of my core love for White Musks. Well, that would have been no major crime, in this case. White Musk is somewhere on that spectrum of things I can live with or with out- or can be easily substituted in my olfactory directory. Sometimes when I walk into a great fragrance boutique I play a quick mental game called "Zombie Apocalypse Must Have Fragrances" (I know that seems ridiculous on so many levels- but, it's fun!). The rules of the game are quite simple- 1.It's a Zombie Apocalypse 2. You need to grab 3 fragrances to last you until the next supply run from the safe house where you'll be hold up with the rag-tag band of strangers and no running water, indefinitely. 3. Someone else is taking care of the essential survival supplies like food, water and antibiotics- You and you alone are incharge of the fragrances.) Which 3 do you grab? Well...o.k. so, all that to say, Montale White Musk never even came close to making the short list from Montale.Since they are all in that similar metalic spray bottle, I will eventually fall prey to one of them and it will eat my brain, I'm sure- but today I escape to the safety of the compound with "Chocolate Greedy". Hey everyone, we can survive on the smell of Chocolate for a month, right?

As advertised, but better than expected
Not being much for big musk perfumes, I have been pleasantly surprised by Montale WHITE MUSK. The name is perfect because the musk is really very clean and pure. I barely smell any flowers at all, but I have noticed that the musk in this composition appears to be similar to that used in Chanel NO 5. Now that everyone uses synthetic musk, there may be more convergence among musk perfumes than there were back in the olden days when unsuspecting musk deer were "relieved" of parts of their anatomy in order to satisfy wealthy people's desire for luxurious perfume.

The question becomes: if every house from Jovan to Montale is using synthetic musks to make their musk solinote perfumes, then why in the world would anyone choose the most rather than the least expensive of the available offerings? Not being a musk connoisseur, I have to admit that I do not know the answer to the question!

I did notice today that the remnants of By Kilian LOVE AND TEARS, which I found to be a rather hum-drum and dry jasmine soliflore, mingle quite nicely with the Montale WHITE MUSK. To make sure that I was not misinterpreting the Montale, I also tested it on the back of my hands. It's a clean white musk, no question about that. What I'm still not sure of is whether I like it better than The Body Shop WHITE MUSK. Well, I happen to have some of their perfume oil here somewhere, so let me go find out the answer to the question right now. I'll be back in a jiffy...

I'm back. There's actually a huge difference. The Montale WHITE MUSK is smooth and creamy and clean, while The Body Shop smells somewhat sharp and soapy. I definitely prefer the Montale, and recognize now that not all synthetic musks are created--or combined--alike!

HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Strong powdery cloud of clean mild musk and slightly sweet flowers (ylang-ylang).

by Pica
schräge Foto-Challenge .... white musk oder white wine ...?
by Nikolina
by Nikolina
by Hermessenz
by Hermessenz

Popular Montale

Full Incense by Montale Intense So Iris by Montale Red Vetiver / Red Vetyver by Montale Blue Amber by Montale Intense Cafe by Montale Black Aoud by Montale Vetiver Patchouli by Montale Sensual Instinct by Montale Aoud Musk by Montale Patchouli Leaves by Montale Dark Aoud by Montale Chocolate Greedy by Montale Aoud Melody by Montale Vanille Absolu by Montale Soleil de Capri by Montale Aoud Safran by Montale Greyland by Montale Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale Louban by Montale Oudmazing by Montale