Wood & Spices

Wood & Spices by Montale
Wood & Spices is a perfume by Montale for men. The release year is unknown. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Ebony, Cardamom, Pimento, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Frankincense

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 19.11.2020.

Mantus
The fine strong silky train
Silky - fresh - powdery allspice is fine, but strongly creamy - aromatic - sweet - spicy to leave a short attention-grabbing oudigen impression, which ends brightly resinous.

First you can perceive a very intense fresh tingling lemony - fruity note, which brings very soft, very discreetly powdery traits with it and I first typed on mandarin and mint, orange blossom and pepper also came to my mind but when I smell a little "more", it is almost silky traits in already sweet beer-like and I finally arrived at juniper berry, which is not entirely unlike the smell of pimento.

A little bit later you notice something that in my opinion is not so often to be found in fragrances anymore:

The fragrance has opened his heart and that in a completely different way.

The fragrance continues to develop during this time without losing the theme
It's rather a so-called click effect that signals to me - that's what the fragrance is about.

30 minutes later the silky train still tickles in its fullest and clearest aura, but now a pleasant, slightly creamy and wonderfully aromatic sweet soft volume from the cardamom receives and the fragrance something attractively smart gives
In the course of time, Wood & Spices becomes substantially spicy, so that the fragrance gets something strong and fine and comes from the sandalwood.

To begin with, this fragrance has an appealingly dense and voluminous, already a little dull and very slightly dusty, very delicate woody layer perceptible, which also brings with it very fine sour touches and here I thought of tobacco, but also oud, whose fragrance impression leaves an entertaining impression, which will be different for everyone.

What remains is the engaging voluminousness that the fragrance also knows how to demand and that in a very pleasant, but also dominantly attention-grabbing way, as I find.

And all this in one beautiful smooth and fluffy train.

In the last 3.5 hours everything is still there, the components have only gone into the background and become very fine, almost transparent and get until the end of the fragrance a clarifying illuminating resinous touch and the incense is to be owed.

Unfortunately, I couldn't perceive Vetiver, but I can imagine very well that this component was used for background music, or is even responsible for the sour accents mentioned above.

The fragrance lasts a total of 8 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is in the first hour very well room-filling and then oscillates 4 hours on a very clear arm length, before it minimizes itself in calm steps, until the smell finally completely fades out
I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfume "Mydarkflower" for the sample.

Wood & Spices
This fragrance opens with a spice and wood blend that is cleverly done to smell sweet and fruity. I associate this accord with the smell of hot, honeyed fruit infusion. The fragrance is velvety smooth, warm, fruity and slightly spicy. It is a perfect comfort scent for cold winter days; it is also very powerful and has great sillage. It is a nice fragrance no doubt, but I find it rather uninspired.

Sorry, but...
There is something in Montale that fascinates me. It’s amazing how they ruthlessly bottle the worst “cheap-designer-in-disguise” scents in a niche dress, and manage to actually sell them. Some are actually decent, but most of them are just tacky cheap stuff. Still, they’re there, and they’re niche. However... Wood and Spices, friends, is their masterpiece – their “IgNobel” winning scent so far for me. Basically it smells exactly (I mean it: exactly) like those modern “aromatic fougères” cheapos, the woody-ozonic-spicy-fresh colognes like Ferrari scents, or Police. Completely, nauseatingly synthetic, flashy and tacky, despicably stuffed with metallic stuff and artificial “roundness”. Trust me, I am not being too grave or severe: it’s utter supermarket rubbish. Many niche fans want to smell expensive: Wood and Spices smells terribly *inexpensive*, instead. In perspective, I should raise my ratings of all other Montale’s, as this one is really the worst of them all. One of the worst scents I’ve ever tested.

2/10

Cologne-Guy Opening, Dark Ebony Drydown
Montale WOOD & SPICES definitely tests my wish to believe that all fragrances are potentially unisex. The opening, in particular, verily screams out "Cologne Guy!" Maybe this is the Montale for Cologne Guy? I mused over this possibility for several minutes while waiting for the huge cloud of fumes to dissipate.

It took a while, but eventually the ebony drydown arrives, and it is quite nice. Here I find that WOOD & SPICES is truly unisex. But getting there is another story. I have no idea what accounts for the Cologne Guy opening, but I'm not sure that it's worth waiting out, since I know of a couple of good ebony perfumes which do not require any sort of endurance training: Tokyomilk DEAD SEXY and Love & Toast POMME POIVRE. Both were created by Margot Elena.

I do very much appreciate the drydown of WOOD & SPICES, but I would not acquire a bottle because the Cologne Guy opening is simply too annoying, not only for others, but also for me. This is not a case of enjoying a guilty pleasure in the privacy of one's own home and them journeying out once the drydown has arrived. No, the opening is not a guilty pleasure. Just guilty of smelling like Cologne Guy.

by Miaw2
by Miaw2
by Rodin
by Rodin
by Coolrunner
by Coolrunner

Popular Montale

Full Incense by Montale Intense So Iris by Montale Red Vetiver / Red Vetyver by Montale Oud Dream by Montale Blue Amber by Montale Intense Cafe by Montale Black Aoud by Montale Arabians Tonka by Montale Sensual Instinct by Montale Vetiver Patchouli by Montale Chocolate Greedy by Montale Patchouli Leaves by Montale Dark Aoud by Montale Oud Tobacco by Montale Aoud Musk by Montale Vanille Absolu by Montale Aoud Melody by Montale Vanilla Cake by Montale Soleil de Capri by Montale Greyland by Montale