Montana Black Edition (2011)

Montana Black Edition by Montana
Bottle Design: Serge Mansau

Montana Black Edition is a popular perfume by Montana for men and was released in 2011. The scent is spicy-smoky. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCinnamon, Lavender, Orange, Mandarin, Pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Sage, Rose, Pine needle
Base Notes Base NotesFrankincense, Leather, Sandalwood, Cedar

Submitted by Mediocre, last update on 29.03.2019

7.0 7.0 8.0 7.0/10

A dark classic, undervalued
Today I am enjoying a sample of Montana Black Edition, which was passed to me by a colleague, and although it is not my perfume style, I am enjoying it immensely.

A curious thing happens to me, and that is that without having smelled it before, it transports me to my childhood. I remember perfectly when my mother bathed me and my brothers in a zinc basin, that we had in the corral, of the neighbor's house where we were born. It was another time in which we did not have the comforts of today, but in spite of that, for me it was very happy, and I would not change it for anything, even if I could go back. At that time there were not hundreds of gels to choose from, you went to Pepe's store, you asked for a gel, and he gave you the one he had. By that time, my mother always bathed us with the gel Magno, and it has all the sense in the world that I remember this, because this perfume literally smells like the gel Magno of all life, and the resemblance is impressive. In my skin it does not show much evolution, being the smell of the Magno gel the most remarkable, almost from beginning to end, with a certain nuance to Coca-Cola, and a more woody tone in the final drying. A lovely aroma, masculine and classic, that even without being my favorite style in perfumery, I will use it for my personal delight.

The performance is not extraordinary, but it is above the current average, exceeding 8 hours in skin, perfectly. The wake is powerful at the beginning, but soon it adapts and stays moderate, which is not bad, for a perfume of its characteristics.

I see it a very versatile perfume when it comes to dressing it, being able to use it in any climate and time of day, except in summer during the day, which could be too hot, but otherwise, a great perfume for any occasion.

I think it should be a mandatory test, for all lovers of classic aromas. Highly recommended

Sorry for my bad english.

P.D .: Magno bath gel was a classic from the 80s in Spain, with a spectacular and lasting fragrance, as they are no longer made ... Today, the gel is called Magno Classic and there is much more variety to choose from.
9.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

Underated precious dark fragrance
Extreamely underrated fragrance. Its develops a magnific woodsy/leather scent that you relate to very expensive fragrances.
Its darkness is a dry one, with a magnificent leather / incense /woody pleasant and manly dry down notes.
It opens spicy with a light sweet touch due to the cinnamon and orange/mandarin notes.
It develops its dryness with a strong woody evolution milded by flowers, mainly rose.
It is easy to relate it as a flanker Montana Parfum d'Homme. It has the same quality and preety presentation as well. It does remember the Aramis Havana family without the warm tobacco note.
Well above average performance with a longevity of 12+ hours. Average projection of 4~6 feet during the first 3 hours.
Its wearability is very high. It did create a certain addiction on me. I know I am going to use it at a very fast pace. Need to get a second bottle ASAP.

My rates for Montana Black Edition:

Compliments..............8.5
Uniqueness:................8.5
Quality:........................8.5
Presentation:..............9.0
Price:...........................9.5 (€20,00 for 125ml)

Average:....................8.67/10.00

Solid black!
Well that’s a nice surprise, another quite underrated scent by Montana. Basically this Black Edition is a darker, gloomier, at the same time a bit more sophisticated and drier version of Montana Parfum d’Homme, with both more bitter, almost ash-y leather and a really classy whiff of soap (rose) and something smooth and slightly sweet with a hint of fruit (sandalwood, maybe some resins, and I guess incense – the same kind of accord I think I get in Montana Noir Sacre). So imagine Parfum d’Homme and its fantastic trademark structure of tobacco, cloves, carnation “revisited” with a sort of more contemporary, urban, cold black mixture of leather, ash, glassy cold flowers, a sprinkle of bitter green. Futuristic and decadent at once, both darker on leather and brighter on flowers, and most important, just perfect from any point of view: quality, composition, creativity, elegance. Rich, classy, masculine – in one word, amazingly solid. The original base of Parfum d’Homme is perfectly there, like a Monna Lisa in a frosted glass cube, just set in a totally new ambiance adding the abovementioned feel of futuristic darkness. A true modern “gothic” leather chypre. The name fits the scent perfectly: totally Montana and totally black. For the price, a mandatory must.

8,5/10
2.5 5.0 7.5 9.0/10

Drseid
Don't Let The Subjectively Ugly Bottle Deter You From This Worthy Flanker...
Montana Black Edition opens with an aromatic lavender and mandarin orange tandem before quickly moving to its heart. As the composition reaches its early heart it keeps the early aromatic lavender now relegated to joining added cinnamon, green pine, soapy oakmoss and dry tobacco leaf in support of the more prominent slightly powdery rose and relatively soft leather that emerge as co-stars. During the late dry-down the composition eschews its more aromatic elements, leaving the soft leather to mesh with slightly sweet sandalwood and incense in the base through the finish. Projection is on the low side of average, but longevity is very good at over 10 hours on skin.

Montana Black Edition quite frankly never got on my radar when it was released in 2011. In truth, I doubt I would have even tried it now had I not discovered completely by accident that Edouard Flechier, perhaps the most consistently good nose in the business was behind this flanker of his own Montana Parfum d'Homme released over 20 years prior. Now having tried Montana Black Edition I feel quite ashamed that I completely missed such an extremely well-done composition by the master. When describing Black Edition, one can't help but reference Montana Parfum d'Homme as there is no denying its heritage, and Flechier obviously never tries to. The aromatics and tobacco-like aspect immediately bring one back to the original, and also Aramis Havana (also by Flechier). The distinguishing features here are the perfumer's deft use of the slightly powdery rose, and the leather, sandalwood and incense in the base that add a new element to an already winning formula. While price is never a consideration with this reviewer when determining whether a composition is successful or not, one can't help but call out the absolutely outstanding value Black Edition represents at its ridiculously low online pricing nowadays. While I'll be the first to admit to enjoying getting a steal as much as the next person, I almost feel guilty at how low the pricing is, and must wonder if the subjectively ugly black tower of babel bottle has hurt sales by dissuading folks from even trying it on the shelves. If my hypothesis is correct, it is truly a shame, as Montana Black Edition is incredible smelling and deserves great success. The bottom line is the $30 per 125ml bottle at discounters Montana Black Edition is an outstanding composition at a scandalously low price in relative terms, earning 4.5 stars out of 5 and a "run don't walk" to your nearest store and buy recommendation if you enjoy classics like Parfum d'Homme (Red Box) and Havana.

AmberScent 56 days ago
My 3d bottle finished one year ago. The spices, the mild darkness and smoky facets make me long for it. I must get another bottle.+2
Carlitos01 137 days ago
A dry darkness with a magnificent leather/incense/woody pleasant drydown notes. Very nice flask and superior performance as an added bonus.+3

Popular Montana

Montana Parfum d'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Montana Parfum de Peau (1986) (Eau de Toilette) by Montana Just Me by Montana Graphite by Montana Montana Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Montana Montana 80 by Montana Montana Parfum d'Elle (1990) (Eau de Toilette) by Montana Montana Black Edition by Montana Suggestion Eau Cuivrée by Montana Suggestion Eau d'Argent by Montana Suggestion Eau d'Or by Montana Samar by Montana Graphite Oud Edition by Montana Montana Green (Eau de Toilette) by Montana Parfum de Peau / Montana (Parfum) by Montana Parfum de Femme by Montana Montana Parfum d'Elle (2002) by Montana Claude Montana by Montana Parfum de Peau (Eau de Toilette) by Montana Montana Mood Soft by Montana