Montana Parfum d'Homme 1989 Eau de Toilette

Montana Parfum d'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Montana
Montana Parfum d'Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Montana for men and was released in 1989. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydesAldehydes
SandalwoodSandalwood
VanillaVanilla
FrankincenseFrankincense
CedarCedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 02.10.2021.

Montana Parfum d'Homme
Montana Parfum d'Homme (Vintage red box) -

This fume is a no-brainer to add to the wardrobe of any fans out there of Aramis Havana (like me). The familiar bright and refreshing aldehydic opening link the two immediately, with Montana favoring a shade of 80's oakmoss and Havana shooting a spicy rum floater.

As they progress, Montana steers its suit towards a well heeled zip code while Havana refuses to put out its cigar and break up the pool party.

Montana is a men's fragrance of 80's construction (1989) that wears very easily and modern. This one would be a great entry point for anyone wanting to experience a bit of vintage, add versatility to their wardrobe, and not break the bank. The 125 ml vintage formula can be found online for around $50.

4 stars
Searched n found
This EdT has been around for 30 years. Respect. A well-deserved classic ? Let me see. Here we go The first thing that catches the eye is the mMn extraordinary flacon. Tower of Babel ? Something really different.
Top note
A spicy freshness paired with lavender and slightly sweet cinnamon. Subtle green notes round off very skilfully. For a top note already quite versatile and complex.
Heart note
Floral, partly green notes with a pleasant touch of sage. Smells a little like Christmas tree. The fragrance remains beautifully fresh and balanced.
Base
The previous notes move somewhat into the background and make room in the foreground for pleasant, not too strong leather, medium-strong, somewhat smoky wood and fine moss. Fine vanilla skilfully rounds off the taste here.
Conclusion
A quite successful EdT. Complex and versatile. It starts very well and ends very well. Always pleasantly he hits exactly the middle, not too much and not too little. A mMn also valuable fragrance. The shelf life is about 5-6 hours for me. I will wear it all year round, more in my spare time. I like the flacon very much, unique, not like countless others. You can still get it on ebay and other places. I hope he won't be forgotten, it would be a real pity I think it's worth testing

Masculine
Bought this on sale after looking at Oscar Lui, the notes are identical, I chose Montana. It is leathery and classified as a leathery scent, but it's much more, it has strong spices of cinnamon, pepper, and carnations. It has a freshness to it like that of fresh air, and fresh forest, this due to the aldehyde and prominent pine note, it has incense, it is very smokey, there is also a very strong lavender note, now at heart and dry down you can sense other notes, a very red floral heart, of rose, geranium and also vanilla and other supporting green notes. The vanilla note makes it slightly sweet, but only a little, it is not a sweet scent, it is serious, dark and flirty.
So it has the multilayer construct of the times, overall it is masculine, it has a certain darkness to it, the leather, the smoke, the woods, it is to me sort of contemplative of a man who is in touch with nature, in a pine forest, its spicy sexy, bold and deep, you can feel it has character and personality, one me it is as if a man held me, a man who is very masculine, who lives or was born in a very outdoorsy environment, filled with pine trees. He wears a leather jacket and is confident, flirty, naughty, but gentle, like Aramis, bold, rugged but gentle, a man who is an animal in bed but at the same time a gentleman. I think that is what i seek in male fragrances, ruggedness with gentleness, and this has it, but again it has more, it is a breath of fresh air, it is earthly. I like it and recommend it for men to wear and women to enjoy thinking of their man.
I

The Tower of Montana
The community picture of the perfume GothicHeart with the copper engraving from the year 1670 by Athanasius Kircher clearly shows what was the source of inspiration for the flacon: the Tower of Babel. Accordingly, when I thought of Montana Parfum d´Homme, I had this picture in mind ever since.

And somehow I wondered why this classic tale of misconduct - after all, the point is that the inhabitants of Babel tried to come to God with their high tower, which he prevented by a confusion of languages - has to be used for this scent. Is the perfume to be equated with God or rather with the failed tower builders or does one want to focus on the diversity of languages or should one not overinterpret all this? After all, it is also a really unique glass vessel with immediate recognition value.

Although the perfume does not commit any language confusion, the fragrance appears quite complex, but by no means overloaded, due to the relatively numerous ingredients. He has a little bit of the fresh spicy compositions with light spiciness like from the 70s paired with some lovely woody elements from the 80s.

In addition, above all, warm leather, aldehydes, pine needles and a strong dash of oak moss make Montana Parfum d´Homme look extremely green, refined, sweet, sensual and masculine. The durability could almost last for a weekend and the Sillage could cover almost entire streets. All in all a top fragrance, which lets nostalgic emotions come up.

But with all the scope for intention and interpretation regarding the flacon, there is one thing that really doesn't open up for me. Why on earth was the miniature turned upside down?
For Peter
I was 15 when Peter died. It was in May 1992 and I basically do not know with absolute certainty today whether it was suicide. We tenth-graders learned of his death shortly before our two-week trip to France to exchange students.
The paradox is that I hardly knew Peter, but mourned him more than any other person I have ever lost. Perhaps because I could not verbalize a "reasonable" reason for my feelings at that time, perhaps also because this feeling was new and tremendously overwhelming for me, I completely eliminated grief with myself. Since I was housed in France, quite secluded, not where the others of my class lived for the most part, there would rarely have been anyone to talk to, which reflected the circumstances of my mental condition.
My allies during this experience of isolation and grief were Chopin's Piano Concerto No. 1, which I heard on my Walkman whenever I could, and Montana Parfum d´Homme. At that time the fragrance didn't exist for long, it smelled "modern" according to the time and so I associate it with more of a youthful than a masculine feeling, although not a carefree one.
The spicy freshness matched very well with the rainy and sometimes stormy Breton coastal weather I experienced in those days. I still smell this certain green twist today, slightly bitter, deep, but never quite dark. The two ingredients that are most clearly perceived by many, namely aldehydes and pine needles, seem to fit me well. Both belong to this special and soft refreshment, which is not citric and even less aquatic, has a lot of substance and can be associated with the colour of the green-brown bottle.
According to the general perception today, the scent is male and strong. When I was 15, I still found it somehow round and cuddly. In a way he acted as a comforter of the soul.

What actually happened to my Montana back then seems like a metaphor to me today: The scent with which I identified myself at that time left me in "French exile": In the bathroom of my host parents the bottle fell out of my hand and broke. The fragrance created in this way irritated my environment quite a bit. He had Sillage - and class. An exit with an announcement, you might think how Peter had put it down. At least one who has a lasting effect - on me to this day and beyond ...

Only a few years ago I bought the perfume d´Homme again. Since my relationship with him is of course not untroubled, I rarely wear the scent, but from time to time I can enjoy it and it is good to know it near me. And so I gain new perspectives without ignoring the old ones.
Yes, Edouard Fléchier's work does indeed smell of the late 80s (or early 90s) in a manner typical of his time, but in its own, elegant and also today with some courage wearable way. Certain fragrances have their own meaning for everyone anyway. For me this is certainly the one with the strongest emotional connection.

The Christmas tree scent
The memory of some smells accompanies us always. It may be discreet and silent, but it is ready to pop up at any time. A few years ago, I visited an African country where I lived for a few years during my childhood. When I passed the plane's exit door, I scented a strong smell of damp red earth that immediately made me travel back in time when I was nine years old. I never imagined that I still had that pungent smell so vividly etched in my memory.
Another aromatic family that both Europeans and Americans recognize immediately is the scent associated with Christmas. This comfortable smell is traditionally linked to the festive season gastronomy. Depending on the different cuisines, the spices' number and quantity may change slightly. In some countries, cinnamon and vanilla are favored, while in others, ginger leads the way. As far as drinks are concerned, some people prefer to drink warm brandy or absinthe while others eat their treats served with a glass of good Port wine, or even with a mug of cozy hot cocoa. The mix of all these aromas is undoubtedly associated with the family dinner on Christmas Eve and the lively morning of December 25th. But there is a corner of the house that smells different than Christmas desserts and liquors. I refer to the space occupied by the traditional Christmas tree. This souvenir of ancient pagan times always stands out with its clean, starchy, waxy, piney, and sometimes citrusy smell. Accords of leathery woods and mosses hang in the air. So does the unmistakable smell of pine needles. From the delicious spicy delicacies on the table, we may still get light nuances of floral arrangements and spicy sweets. A balsamic smoke may emanate from the fireplace as well. These accords all together of this are the essence of the smell around the Christmas tree.

Montana Parfum d'Homme does smell like a Christmas tree. The aldehydes with spices in the opening contribute to this. The same happens with the middle notes blunt pine needles scent sweetened by flowers, and the woody bottom strong mossy leather. This classic and manly perfume reminds me of other perfume facets. To my mind arises Antaeus by Chanel and Derby by Guerlain. Perhaps its greatest resemblance occurs with Havane by Aramis, launched five years later.
Its perfumer, Edouard Flechier, worked several times with the remarquable Jean Guichard. I consider Flechier a phenomenal wizard that signed masterpieces such as Dior's original Poison, Christian Lacroix's C'est la Vie, Courrèges in Blue, Frederic Malle's Lys Méditerranée and Une Rose, and Valentino's Vendetta Uomo. I believe he never fought for protagonism and his name often gave way to Givaudan, the company he almost always worked for.
The art deco bottle in the form of Babel Tower created an unmistakable "Montana" style, along with the flasks of Parfum d'Elle and Parfum de Peau. Although discontinued, Parfum d'Homme is still easy to find out there.

Here are my rates for Montana Parfum d'Homme Eau de Toilette:
__ __ __ __ __ __ __
- Opening: 8.0 (pleasant clean aldehydes and spices accords)
- Drydown: 9.0 (manly mossy and woody notes; the key leather is a must)
- Longevity: 8.0 (not a power horse; 8 hours with 3 sprays)
- Sillage: 7.0 (5 feet with 3 sprays; mild projection for 2 hours)
- Versatility: 8.5 (quite versatile for an "old school"; you may use it in many situations but it is not suited for clubbing, gym, and seaside)
- Portability: 8.5 (better than most manly "old schools" due to its clean aldehydes opening; it is of little use in hot weather)
- Praise: 8.5 (an elegant and mature scent; an above-average pleaser due to its seductive leather note; however it will never grab the attention of very young people)
- Exclusivity: 8.5 (similar to the five years younger Aramis Havane but without its tobacco note)
- Quality: 8.0 (not a shining star but not bad also)
- Presentation: 9.0 (I like the Babel tower shape)
- Price: 9.5 (€20,00 for 125ml taxes and shipping included)
__ __ __ __ __ __ __
- Average: 8.41/10.00

Opinion on Montana Parfum d'Homme:
It is a very classy scent. The lovers of "old-school" scents will like it for sure. Its leather key bottom note is certainly a distinct differentiator. I also own Montana Black. It is a more modern and darker flanker of this perfume. Although very nice it lacks the class of Parfum d'Homme.
Recommended? If you are a man and like "old schools", you should give it a try.
Blind buying worthy? Yes if you are over 40 years old. Younger people should sample it first.

Music: Tony Bennett and Diana Krall singing "They Can’t Take That Away From Me"

GothicHeart
Hello brightness my old friend...
Don't you think that Alice Cooper looks like Marilyn Manson a lot? You know, the "freakish dude with a female name persona, who performs some outrageous theatrical shows" thing. What? Alice Cooper came first? So? Montana also came first (a good five years before, which is ages in perfume years) but that doesn't stop people from keep saying how much it resembles Havana. I think that merely out of respect, whenever a benchmark has to be set, then this place should be always granted to the one that came first. So no, if a perfume reminds of another one, then it's Havana that reminds of Montana and not the other way around.
Now, I don't know why, but when I first smelled Montana back in the day, the first word that came to mind was "bright". In the sense of a young, aspiring individual, to whom everyone wants to be close, but in the same time all (myself included) secretly despise him. Perhaps because in this age, he is already something that they will never be. Clever but not know-it-all, charming but not wheedling, cultivated but not aloof, rich but not showoffish and eloquent but not verbose, all-in-one. Oh, and stunningly beautiful too, as the icing on this delicious cake. All in an unconventional way, light years away from everything mainstream. Like a long-haired dude wearing mirror shades and a claret velvet sport jacket, who drives a Lancia, and doesn't give a damn about what others might think of him. And when he smiles he outshines the sun.
Then our ways parted for some 20 years, in my neverending struggle to find this totally unique scent that is the Holy Grail for every perfume lover or freak. Until, not being able to resist its 15€/125ml price, there came a day when I found myself looking skeptically at the red box that was staring back at me from my coffee table. "What are you?" I asked... "Don't you remember?" it replied... The answer came in a split second after spraying some on my wrist. "Bright! How could I forget?" And then I sat and pondered for a whole afternoon, trying to figure why people so often spend years in a quest for something that was before their very eyes from the start.
As for those who are probably wondering, the aforementioned "stunningly beautiful" part is not just about the perfume. I know I'm a minority (if not the sole believer), but I find its bottle simply gorgeous! Like an iconic piece of contemporary art, which is a joy to hold and a blast to behold! The proof that The Tower of Babel could be completed in perfection, no matter how many languages were spoken on its grounds. They couldn't be more than Montana's notes after all! A most fitting vessel for one of the most unique perfumes ever...

Let...there...be...LIGHT !
Montana Parfum D'Homme LIGHT... (Yes, there's a light version).

It's an Eau de Toilette that comes in a gray "tower of babel" splash bottle in a Red Box. I can describe it as a stripped down, "air conditioned" version of Parfum D'Homme. With moderate performance for an EDT. Great for those who may want to wear Parfum D'Homme year round.

"Light" turns up the aldehydes and lavender, and turns down the herbs and spices of the original... Significantly. But carnation, pine, cinnamon, and even incense are still detectable to my nose. Although a lot less dense and seperate. There's not much "development" here to speak of either. But the macho character of the original -with it's labdanum, ambergris, and leather backbone, remains (mostly) intact. Happy that ! Because that animalic quality is what gives this warm weather scent it's unique Caché.

As for the legendary rugged "leather jacket man" imagery of the original? Sadly, this version just doesn't have the same impact. At best, the luminous glow of aldehydes may allude to the "brilliant" mind of the man inside the jacket, instead. LOL. But, hey! If you already have the "brawn" of the Original... wouldn't you want the "brains" to go with it?

Recommended.

Especially since a 75ml bottle of this gem currently goes for $15 (USD). $15? For the Quality, that's just BONKERS !!

Drseid
Does Aramis Havana's Likely Prototype Smell Even Better?...
Montana Parfum D'Homme (Red Box) goes on first with nose singeing aldehydes before quickly coupling them with sharp citric bergamot and aromatic lavender. As it enters the early heart, the aldehydes soften to now support the remaining starring aromatic bergamot and lavender tandem, while adding a very subtle cinnamon spice sheen, relatively strong carnation florals and faint whiffs of an underlying accord from the base consisting primarily of dry tobacco leaf, patchouli and cedarwood. The fragrance stays relatively linear through the late dry-down while turning ever so slightly soft and sweet, resulting from a small amount of sandalwood and non-powdery vanilla found in the base. Projection is good and longevity is excellent to outstanding at about 12 hours on skin.

Montana Parfum D'Homme (Red Box) does not get a lot of mention nowadays. The bottle that it comes in kept me away for a long time because I really found it quite hideous looking in all truthfulness. It took finding out that the perfumer behind the composition was the great Edouard Flechier, (whose legendary compositions include Havana, Havana Reserva, Une Rose, Lys Mediterranee, Davidoff for Men and Poison among others) to get me to move past the looks of the bottle and rightly focus instead on the juice inside. The aromatic aldehyde, bergamot and lavender laced open may be just a bit challenging to folks not used to some of the great 80s powerhouse compositions, but it actually smells quite nice once you adjust to the style. During the mid-section I have heard the composition compared to Havana by Aramis, and there is definitely more than a passing similarity. This could very well be the foundation Flechier used to create that later masterpiece as the basic elements are all clearly here in Montana Parfum D'Homme, with Havana turning up the dry tobacco leaf aspect and Montana Red Box staying focused on the aromatics with just a bit of the dry tobacco accord as support. The bottom line is I am so glad I finally gave Montana Red Box a chance, as it is yet another excellent addition to Mr. Flechier's fine resume, and while it may be the prototype for the later more well-known Havana that I dearly love, the more I wear Red Box the more I find it slightly closer to my tastes. The "excellent" 4 to 4.5 star out of 5 rated Montana Parfum D'Homme (Red Box) smells and performs great and is an outstanding value composed by one of the all-time greats... This one is an extremely easy recommendation to anyone who enjoys the great 80s style releases and while discontinued, it can be readily found for under $20 a 125ml bottle.

LemonheadsLemonheads 6 months ago
A walk in a old world,made of rusty machinery,sandied buildings and a gloomy dusk shines on the land.Still a masterpiece!
DarkbeatDarkbeat 2 years ago
Eighties and classic, masculine and elegant, very good performance, does anyone give more? ;-)
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Not for the summer but versatile with the dominant well mastered dominant leather and aldehydes notes. The classy dry-down is superb.

by TIA1971
by Vawallpa
by Vmaster
by Vmaster

Popular Montana

Claude Montana by Montana Montana Black Edition by Montana Parfum de Peau / Montana (1986) (Eau de Toilette) by Montana Graphite by Montana Montana 80 by Montana Montana Parfum d'Elle (1990) (Eau de Toilette) by Montana Montana Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Montana Just Me by Montana Suggestion Eau Cuivrée by Montana Graphite Oud Edition by Montana Parfum de Peau / Montana (Parfum) by Montana Parfum de Peau (Eau de Toilette) by Montana Suggestion Eau d'Argent by Montana Suggestion Eau d'Or by Montana Parfum de Femme by Montana Montana Green (Eau de Toilette) by Montana Peau Intense by Montana Comore by Montana Suggestion Eau d'Or (2015) by Montana Samar by Montana