Explorer (2019)

Explorer by Montblanc

Explorer is a new perfume by Montblanc for men and was released in 2019. The scent is fresh-fruity. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums.
Scent goes well with Sauvage (Eau de Parfum)

Top Notes Top NotesItalian bergamot, Sage, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesLeather, Haitian vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesIndonesian patchouli, Cocoa, Ambroxan, Akigalawood®

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 08.08.2020.

Sockosophie
Le roi est mort, vive le roi
If a perfume had something like "God King" status within the community, it would probably be Aventus.
You can find it however you like, as is well known, the spirits are divided. But each one of us can then still summon up the residual reality of acknowledging the titanic status of this quite fickle beauty.

But if a perfume is so good that the myth calls for an armada of plagiarism, that's even more worrying. Aventus remains the most copied fragrance in the world and the original is increasingly falling into disrepute.

Malicious tongues would claim that Creed in her hubris would cause the fall of her house and they probably wouldn't be completely wrong about that either.

This is a new departure for Explorer, because there has never been a designer clone of Aventus before and it marks a milestone in the history of men's fragrances.
About the fragrance itself:

Explorer starts with a combination of bergamot, ambroxan and akigalawood and if you look at these and other notes you don't necessarily come to the conclusion what is actually tried here.

No pineapple, no apple, no currant and no birch tar, and yet: after the first smell I could have told immediately what this is supposed to be.

Explorer is more synthetic than Aventus, less qualitative, but no less pleasing. The head is indisputably pleasant for untrained noses and a stroke of genius if you consider that "normal" customers do not wait for heart and base, if a fragrance is nonlinear at all.

When it dries a little, the bergamot fades into the background and out comes a typical synthetic men's wood scent, as you can find it in every drugstore. Here everything is missing that makes other clones special
The shelf life is okay 6-7 hours. After one to one and a half hours of mediocre radiance, it goes over to a level close to the skin. For a fresh fragrance at a price quite decent.

In any case, it is immediately appealing, especially in the first hour, but the longer you wear it the more banal it becomes. I actually have enough "crowdpleaser" scents than this one really needed.

Explorer marks a turnaround for me: Aventus is no longer a niche fragrance.
Even if the copy is poor, it is still a copy and shows how much the end of the flagpole has been reached here.

Aventus had a good decade, but perhaps we can now give him a well-deserved rest, let him go down in the annals and wait for the next holy "Grail smell".

The king is dead, long live the king!
Swagger91
The Aventus twin that is not worth mentioning
Mountblanc Explorer:

The new Mountblanc Explorer. When it came out I thought only NAJA! Once again Mountblanc has copied a fragrance and interpreted it itself. A comparison with Aventus is not worthy, as this scent is quite synthetic. You wouldn't compare Mike Tyson with Manny either? Different weight class therefore also different rules. But now we come to the scent and packing.

The packaging is nothing great now, but one has the impression that the bottle is of high quality. A metal cap with a leather stripe around the flacon makes a good impression! If you remove the cap, the vaporizer is pretty good, too, I've seen worse. Unfortunately, the opening is very close to Aventus, and would even go so far that perfume lenders wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the opening.

The fragrance starts with a sweet ambroxanopening and after a good 1-2 hours develops more in the minimal leathery woodsy direction. A little later one can also detect the cocoa note but the ambroxan is omnipresent. Durability and sillage I would appreciate for a designer in the good range. The scent is still perceptible after 6 hours before it becomes more body like after spraying for 3 hours. I can't perceive a big development in the drydown, rather a linear scent that is meant for the masses. After 3-4 hours only a sour synthetic scent remains, which may remind me of green apples but is more leathery and woody. This becomes so extreme that I get a headache from the scent in summer. Durability is the standard 6-8 hours for me, and Sillage is pretty good for a designer in the first 1-2 hours! Season rather spring and autumn, because it is too fresh for the winter and simply too synthetic for the summer. Due to the fruity Aventus-likeopening it is a signature centre that could be worn at any occasion. Especially suitable for work, because you don't want to have crass non-scented scents at work.

I would recommend the fragrance to someone who is looking for a cheap aventus alternative, because as an independent fragrance I classify it with too little character. There are better scents in the price range that show more edges. For me, however, he has become by his too strong synthetics a clear passport.
Not an Aventus twin!!
Today Montblanc "Explorer" has become my property and of course I immediately compared the fragrance with Aventus. But I can't agree at all with the many voices explaining that Explorer is a nearly 100% Aventus fragrance twin. Aventus is much more citrusy than Explorer and smells more natural! The shelf life did not stand up to any comparison with Aventus. Explorer is now not a bad scent, but I wouldn't equate it with Aventus. If I had to choose, my choice would clearly be Aventus (yes, despite the high price).
Medianus76
What's left of the day...
I have become a relatively new resident and a real fan of this community, and have been fascinated by great fragrances all my life Now I would like to write down my impressions, but about the Explorer, because there are already so many recessions to the Aventus. But I would like to compare both fragrances.
I received the Explorer as a sample card, and after the first test I was impressed how much it reminds me of Aventus. I had sprayed on the scent for work, relatively little, but I was able to perceive the scent all day long.
That's why I wanted to compare both fragrances, Aventus and Explorer, directly via test strips. Thereby I came to the following impressions...

For me, the Explorer starts off very strongly alcoholic. It offers an almost pungent note.
I can't perceive much of the typical Aventus scent on the test strip yet. In fact, almost nothing When I sprayed Aventus on a test strip I immediately got this phenomenally great fruity pineapple vibe...just great.
I could not determine this with the Explorer.
Also the whole presence and charisma of the Aventus is much stronger. Exactly this characteristic of Aventus always remains in the foreground, especially in the first period.
In the further course...as said on test strips, slowly the Explorer also develops more of its characteristic scent. However, there is one more thing I notice very strongly. And I can always notice that with Creed scents. It is this wonderful creaminess. I just call it that now, because that's how soft and smooth Aventus feels compared to the Explorer.
This means that the Explorer is and remains more angular.
Nevertheless, the Explorer is catching up in the course of time. The fragrance becomes more tangible and present, which in the further course of time leads to a relative alignment of both fragrances. At least according to my perception going.
I think that the Explorer as a whole smells great in any case. I also like it in terms of durability and silage. Even at the end of the day I can still perceive it well
To answer my headline, a very Aventus-like fragrance remains from the day, which in everyday use is hardly distinguishable from the great model. If one also includes the price component, then I find the Explorer worth thinking about.
Nevertheless I miss the presence, the glow and also the creaminess of the original...
5.5
DomCorleone
A copy is never as good as the original
I bought the fragrance a year ago in the hope of finding a cheaper alternative to Creed Aventus.
The opening reminds me strongly of Aventus and convinced me quickly. One third of the price and no difference to see?! Well... I was happy too early: Because in the drydown Explorer gains (or rather loses) its own independence and a strange, cheap-chemical-looking bite develops.
The more often I wore the scent, the more I was disturbed by this "chemical bomb". Even as an independent scent I would not recommend this Montblanc fragrance.

Flacon/ Packaging:
Wow, what a great entrance. Montblanc really doesn't have to hide here. A very high-quality bottle that is rounded off by a heavy, anthracite-coloured cap. The spray button works excellently and in my eyes sprays just the right amount of the contents.

The scent:
Opening very fruity and, a prankster who thinks evil, just like Cred Aventus. It's to catch buyers... as, sadly, I do.
However, the drydown is then very chemical and has at least a fragrance of its own. However, it doesn't come across as particularly high quality. The durability is good for a fresh scent, but not outstanding. Price/performance is still right, though.

Conclusion:
For "just for shopping" or as an inexpensive all-rounder, Montblanc's Explorer is not a bad choice.
Nevertheless, miracles are not to be expected and it is by no means an alternative to Aventus.
Especially the flacon is outstandingly successful and looks great. In the end, however, the content is decisive and here it fails due to the unfortunately very stinging chemical bomb at the end of the opening.
MKopinec
Inspired? Leaning? Copycat? - As long as it smells good!
Unfortunately I can't say anything about the similarity to the Creed Aventus, because I haven't had the chance to test it yet. A comparison with Sauvage? - Well. I have to admit that I have had a reaction a few times how good I smell of Dior Sauvage while wearing the Explorer. For an untrained nose, which unfortunately (because I also think the Sauvage is great) is flooded by the sauvage-bearing young men's world, also not reprehensible. There is a certain similarity.
The Explorer's entry is slightly fruity and pleasant, which, although it diminishes somewhat over time, makes the further fragrance progression - in the direction of sauvage - a little more playful and light. This is also the reason for me that the Explorer can definitely be worn during the day and on warmer days without leaving an "oppressive" smell.
Visually, the Montblanc Explorer bottle is definitely a real eye-catcher! Robust, simple and the imitation leather? makes a real statement, especially suitable if you like to wear black.
Durability and Sillage could be better, fragrance experience for me definitely a 10/10!

Concluding thought: Is it really that important whether a fragrance is possibly inspired by another or has been "copied"? For the perfumer, perhaps. I don't deny it. For me as a user? Definitely not! Because in the end we all want to wear perfumes that we like!
JamesBlond
Better than his reputation!
I must confess!
I'm with the AA's! The Anonymous Aventus Abstinenzlers.
The smell is torn mainly as Dupe and has in my opinion a worse reputation, which does not do justice to it in any way so.
The first time I sprayed him on a strip in Dutyfree and smelled NOTHING. That went mercilessly under between the other test strips in my hand and a violent Tom Ford on the back of my hand.
It should smell similar to the "can opener"?
I ordered it blind and shot the 100ml bottle for 54€.

Arrived at work and undressed I immediately noticed the super noble bottle. Metal cap on an engraved metal disc, black plastic jacket with a discreet emblem and the heavy glass bottle, there can not only be water in it.
In the break room full of colleagues 22,26,38 and 2 sprayed on my 50 years approaching my work slip, he found in all noses favor and I seemed to be the only one who thought that someone had just peeled a Pomelo.
This room-filling citrus bomb has to be endured first and keeps itself unbelievable 2 hours flattening, but nicely fresh.
I don't smell any leather at all and I missed the 2 days he spent decorating my neck at work, a masculine note in all the bitter freshness that only became noticeable after 5 to 6 hours of decay.

I was really disappointed and out of desperation whether it might be due to me, I sprayed the 2 times on the neck of my girlfriend. Someone understand the world, but he suddenly smelled completely different, clearly more masculine and less citric. Did I smell that nice for two days? I don't know, but I like it a lot more now.

He won't be my new darling. He's not a scent, or one that lifts you out of the crowd. He goes bowling or shopping with you, works and makes your in-laws realize that you're old enough to take care of your daughter without looking after other girls. The performance is middle class, but sufficient for what you probably wear it for. Who wants to draw Aventus comparisons, should once the 230 euro less into the production costs calculate, then he would probably smell on more synthetic. It may be a bad clone, but it is a good scent with which to do nothing wrong for the money. Only the long-lasting opening could deter one or the other.

ScentSlave
I’d never thought I’d be into a knockoff,
But this one knocked me off of my feet when I got the whiff... if you can’t tell it’s totally trying to be Aventus you’re kidding yourself, but if you aren’t tempted to shell out the cash, you aren’t human. I like the real version, but I couldn’t bring myself to spend the $$ on something so many people already have... cut that price down THIS much though? Hell yes I’m in...

Again, you can tell it wants to be creed, and as the notes pass it becomes MORE obvious, but I don’t care... I’m loving it, and I didn’t even spend HALF the cost.

Projection? Check. It’s a good 3-4ft reach for a good 2-3 hours. Sillage? Check; they will know YOU were there. Longevity? Checkmate! Easy 6-8+ hours on a 3-4 good sprays.

I’m STOKED Mont Blanc brought this beast out... it’s worth every penny
Sauventus?
To anticipate one thing,

I don't think the fragrance has too much to do with Aventus. The pineapple is missing and the ambroxan is too much.
Those who want to smell Aventus should rather look around for Vibrant Leather from the fashion house Zara, with which one even gets away cheaper.

Nevertheless he starts like a "lighter" Aventus, only without the pineapple. But with a tiny hint of powder and very fresh/citric.
Then it develops into a very fresh combination of Dior Sauvage and Aventus (still without the pineapple), which I find very good in combination.
It is actually always and everywhere very good to wear, despite very strong Sillage and durability

The bottle with an imitation leatherette with the logo on top, the heavy glass and a metal plate on top, as well as the heavy metal lid definitely knows how to please.

For the price as Eau de Parfum with this strong H+S, the interesting scent combination from Aventus (where is the pineapple???) and Sauvage it is definitely a purchase recommendation on my part!
DerDefcon
That's a good price to pay.
It was an ordeal, it was arduous, it was exhausting. There actually seem to be more perfume-mad people out there than you can imagine. The new scent of Mont Blanc simply did not want to be tested by me. No matter where I was - Karstadt, Douglas, Galeria Kaufhof - everywhere the testers were empty. The hype of the fragrance as the Aventus clone par excellence seems to be actually going around.

Now I actually found a shop where there were still minimal remnants of the scent in the bottle. After the third time, you get to be lucky. The procedure of first using a test strip and then weighing up whether one would like to delight one's arm joint with the scent was dropped. Instead, it went immediately on the arm joint.
I was truly amazed at how well the top note succeeded here. That actually smells almost 1:1 like Aventus. Of this I am - I already wrote it in another comment - not the biggest fan. It is truly a good fragrance that always goes, but it did not tear me from my stool. He's a little angry for me and should be a little softer. Over time it gets a little softer and smoky, which I like, but I still think that this is not a fragrance for which I would put several hundred euros on the table. The Explorer is the much cheaper alternative here, but it doesn't get 100 percent close to Creed's bestseller. Why is that so?

I already wrote that the top note of my nose is almost exactly what I hear in Aventus - namely a very fruity, but also slightly sour, pungent affair, in which one hopes that a little bit will change here. While Aventus became a bit softer, but still not as I would like it to be, the Explorer remains very linear. The bergamot is omnipresent, but it still experiences a little contrast, as Vetiver uses a small amount of it and additionally gives it some freshness. The next and last big step is the Ambroxan, where I was afraid that it would be used as excessively as Dior Sauvage EdP. Fortunately, this was not the case, but nevertheless something else could have been used instead of Ambroxan to imitate the slightly smoky of Aventus. The Ambroxan unfortunately provides for a certain, if not excessive, synthetics, which doesn't bother much, but is nevertheless perceptible, which means that the Explorer doesn't reach the level of Creed. The Aventus is simply more rounded, more confident and above all - and this is the decisive factor - a little softer in the course of the fragrance - not much, but at least perceptible. Thus, Mont Blanc's new creation always has a small scratchy undernote, which narrows the overall impression somewhat. Nevertheless, one must acknowledge the really good price-performance ratio. Because compared to the price this Mont Blanc is not so much worse. It is, despite my criticism, better than many other mainstreamers (Sauvage for example). The durability is also very good when you consider that fruity scents always have a bit more to fight here. There is also nothing wrong with the perceptibility, since it projects absolutely sufficiently.
Conclusion: It does not quite come close to Creeds Cashcow, because Creeds Cashcow is trumped by increased sovereignty and roundness. If I had to choose one of the two fragrances, I wouldn't take either, because my taste wasn't 100 percent hit here. However, if I were forced to choose one of the two fragrances and if I had to spend my own money on it, I would definitely go for Explorer, because the differences in everyday life, while you concentrate on other, elementary things as well as the fragrance, are only marginal.

Nik604Nik604 5 days ago
I understand those who hates this juice ...of course , if you spend 300 euro for a bottle of fragrance , you will be proud - and then Explo
Arman038Arman038 144 days ago
Decent fragrance for warmer days in the office
KimJongKimJong 175 days ago
Not as classy as Aventus, but much better than CDNIM. Instead of smokiness, it goes to the direction of refreshingness and spruceness.
AithanAithan 12 months ago
Did blind test with my colleagues. Some of them describe the scent as a cheap powdery perfume/deodorant.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 13 months ago
Another clone.
AJGAJG 16 months ago
Smells like Speed Stick deodorant.
College sports locker rooms everywhere are going to reek of this stuff.
AmberScentAmberScent 18 months ago
This is the ennesima offer of a versatile & freshy Aventus type man cologne. However it has an acceptable scent that will attract attention.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 18 months ago
Recently I bought an Aventus top clone while looking for a freshie: Shawq by Swiss Arabian.
I am not repeating the mistake with Explorer.

by Gothic
by MKopinec
by Golcher
by Golcher

Popular Montblanc

Individuel (Eau de Toilette) by Montblanc Présence (Eau de Toilette) by Montblanc Legend Spirit by Montblanc Legend Night by Montblanc Starwalker (Eau de Toilette) by Montblanc Legend Intense by Montblanc Signature by Montblanc Femme de Montblanc (Eau de Parfum) by Montblanc Legend (Eau de Toilette) by Montblanc Legend pour Femme by Montblanc Présence d'Une Femme by Montblanc Homme Exceptionnel (Eau de Toilette) by Montblanc Lady Emblem L'Eau by Montblanc Emblem Intense by Montblanc Emblem by Montblanc Legend pour Femme Special Edition 2014 by Montblanc Lady Emblem by Montblanc Legend Special Edition 2012 by Montblanc Femme Individuelle by Montblanc Legend Special Edition 2013 by Montblanc