Individuel (2003) Eau de Toilette

Individuel (Eau de Toilette) by Montblanc
Bottle Design: Franzrudolf Lehnert
Individuel (Eau de Toilette) (Montblanc)

Individuel (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Montblanc for men and was released in 2003. The scent is sweet-fruity. The production was apparently discontinued.

Pierre Bourdon

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Coriander, Lavender, Mint, Rosemary, Juniper berry, Cinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Jasmine, Orange blossom, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Dark chocolate, Oakmoss, Raspberry, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 07.11.2018

Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
Modern joop, fruity santal
Montblanc Individuel begins with a sweet, fruity opening where the use of raspberry is instantly noticeable, but it also holds a freshness thanks to the floral notes and a nice use of mint. As it starts to develop, I get some more floral notes and the wood notes start to shine through a lot more with sandalwood standing out the most before the vanilla and tonka bean come in, but throughout the whole thing there is still that scent of raspberry.

I've seen this scent compared to two other scents, Joop Homme and Creed Original Santal. It's been a while since I last smelled Joop Homme, but I can definitely tell there are similarities here, the main difference for me being that Individuel doesn't smell as sickly sweet to me which is what I didn't like about Joop Homme, Individuel seems like a modern take the scent.

I'm comparing Individuel to Creed Original Santal right now and again there are similarities, the main difference, besides the obvious use of higher quality ingredients from Creed, is that Original Santal is definitely pushing more of the wooden notes in the fragrance and also smells a bit more "powdery" I guess, not to mention how much stronger the scent is. When Individuel starts to lose some of the powerful fruity notes, the scents get a bit closer, but it will always retain that raspberry note keeping it fruitier and Original Santal more wooden in comparison.

Individuel is a nice scent, I definitely prefer it over Joop Homme and it is similar to Creed Original Santal, though not similar enough to be labeled as a clone, particularly because it was released 2 year prior. This scent is very much a safe scent, it's pleasing but there is nothing really special about it, I said the same thing about Original Santal and that leads me on to who I believe this scent is for, I have this scent because a £25 scent smelling similar to a £200+ scent is a lot better than it being the other way around, it's a very nice everyday scent and it's not going to cost you much at all, in fact it's probably one of the nicest fragrances I've tried at this price.
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
When the scent becomes a matter of luck
Clone or no clone, that's the question. No, not really. It's definitely not a clone. Nevertheless, I can understand the association well - Individuel immediately reminds me of Joop Homme. However, in the form of a modernized update.

Fruity and sweet and very raspberry. And yet there is also a minty freshness that distantly reminds me of Versaces Eros. There in combination with the apple, here with the raspberry. In terms of content, however, this works almost identically. In general, I see strong parallels to Eros in the whole style. As the fragrance progresses, it becomes more floral, but also more woody at the same time, before entering the vanilla-tonka base. The sweet fruity berry note lingers in a weakened form until the end. All in all, however, the course in practice seems much more linear than the list of ingredients would suggest.

If you compare it to Joop Homme, Montblanc Individuel is much more contemporary. Not only do I feel it fresher, I feel it's somehow more transparent. In addition, despite its sweetness, it also clearly transports the modern clean man. This makes it versatile and portable. Strong enough to be noticed, but not too intense for the office. Pretty well balanced, for my taste. I can't draw comparisons to Creeds Original Santal for lack of test by the way.

So I can assess the fragrance itself as positive throughout. But I find these obvious quality problems from batch to batch unspeakable. Smaller deviations are known. And so are reformulations. But I can't understand the fluctuations that are thrown at the market here. Can and should something like this be included in the overall evaluation? I think so. If I have to test three bottles to get "the right" scent, I don't understand anymore.

Fragrance: Strong
Price: Convincing
Quality: A matter of luck
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
The "Golden Raspberry" goes to ...
... Montblanc! :-) Yes, I know, it actually stands for badly made, trashy films, but the association was just so fitting. And apart from the Hollywood business, there is nothing wrong with a refined sweet fruit, at least not when it comes to Pafum. With as many as 21 ingredients mentioned here, it is nevertheless not difficult to smell out this one, the raspberry immediately. She is cute as you would expect her to be, but I don't expect her to be so dominant in an EDT. But this is also called "Individuel", a name that is valid from the first spray of its justification.

The raspberry is of course appropriately packed here, wrapped in some mint and other herbs. It thrives on a bed of musk and wood shavings, a few fallen flowers lie around to exude its residual scent. And yes, with a bit of imagination my nose can also perceive a slightly chocolaty undertone. Overall, however, I am pleased that the raspberry does not come across with additional sugar. Because this way the sweetness stays in a very pleasant and for me as a fan of fresh fragrances compatible frame.

Luckily (for me) they don't give the whole thing an earthy and/or prudish base to make the fragrance more gentlemanly, but also more old-fashioned. All in all, this creates a summery sweetness that suits the harvest time of the raspberry and which I associate more with a Berlin white berry than with fruit gum. "Individuel" convinces me (outside the price of around 30 € for 100 ml) as a year-round fragrance for every occasion. I just have to feel like it, but it's easy once a week. All done right, Mr Bourdon, I would say! :-)

PS: Could also pass as unisex scent with a slightly more pronounced flower content!
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 1.0/10
Spice Shop
If you like spicy scents then this one might be for you. If you want to try the fragrance without spending the money, try Nike Brown Men at around AUD10.00 or Gold Spray by Al Haramain.

On a spiciness level between 1 to 3, with 1 being least spicy and 3 being most spicy Montblanc is (1) much cleaner smoother then Nike Brown Man (2) and Gold Spray by Al Haramain (3) being the most spicy fragrance. I think that Montblanc and Nike Brown Man are almost identical on the dry down though.

The test of a perfume depends on whether or not you would buy it again. Personally, I wouldn't buy another bottle.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Almost identical to Santal
I love Creed's Santal. This fragrance gives you that wake up you need and is very fresh with a laundry scent. Garners compliments and last and projects long on my skin. It can be pricey but an alternative to this would be Mont Blanc Individual. They almost smell identical.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
Hyped?
I think that this one is pretty hard to screw up. It maybe wouldn’t be appropriate at a funeral, other than that I think you’ll be ok.
Also it probably is more of a fall/winter type of frag... but I guess it is up to you.

The scent itself is like a sweeter, yet fresh but still a bit powdery kind of feel with raspberry on top.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Nice and cheap fragrance for colder days
Fabric softener and raspberries in a bottle - this is what I smell. It last all day and then some without problems. I think it is a strong scent, so be careful with the sprays. Use for casual everyday, work/university. Can be used dressed up, since I still think it's a nice clean scent. I honestly have been thinking about giving it away, but when the cold hits this is one I am reaching for.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 9.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
it's not the flanker!
I know most accuse mont blanc of dooping creeds original santal but thats actually not true Why because Mont blanc individual was on the market before Original santal! so if any thing you could say creed flanked mont blanc ;) well lets now say my last piece on this if you have to make a choice between the two get this one it's better with better performance and you can get many bottles of this to last you pretty much most your life for the same price as one of the creeds so please save your money! :)

it's a little soapy on the opening then turns fruty sweet with the raspberry
I will be honest I did not like it the first time I did try it out in public and was tailed by two women trying to get as close to me as possible without talking to me so it works quite nicely :)

trying it again 8 months later I have found that I like it now
and it is completely affordable with excellent performance at least get a tester

Joseph God Bless
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Individuel Bargin
Montblanc Individual in my opinion is the best releases from this house. A very clean and aromatic fresh scent. There is also some sweetness provided by the Tonka bean, Raspberry and the Vanilla notes, There is more than a resemblance to Creed Santal as mentioned on various reviews although this was released first, Also it has been compared to the original Joop. although only slightly. This more refined and not as cloying as Joop . If you dont want to spend too much on a fragrance or just want to add this to a collection this is perfect.

Occasion wise this could be worn all year round apart form extreme heat as there is some sweetness but this is purely subjective, Montblanc Individual is perfect for work environment or socialising during the day or night. The projection / Silage is good for the first 3-4 hours and also above average longevity. Go easy on the trigger as this could potentially be over sprayed depending on skin type. This would make a good blind buy and I have to say this is a quality of this release from Montblanc.

The bottle design is simple but effective.

Overall scent 8.0
Scent 7.0/10
Mont Blanc "Joop Santal"
It does indeed share similarities to both Joop Homme & Creed's Original Santal. A very nice scent at a good price :)
~ MB "Santal" ~
When a designer fragrance is compared to a niche typically it's a compliment. If a similar designer scent is routinely considered equal to or better than the niche that is high praise! And this is what you will find in this mainstream Mont Blanc Indivduel as it is often compared to Creed's own Original Santal. I know it sounds over simplified but this edt's opening reminds me of my favorite chocolate and raspberry candy with the dry down reminding me of perhaps the worlds greatest smelling fabric softener, no need to get complicated here. It is very linear and that is just fine by me as this budget scent gives a very desirable sweet yet fresh ride from start to finish. Oh and the bottle design would looks right at home between any of my favorite Chanel's.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 6.0/10
nothing special
it's interesting to see "individual" among the top perfumes of parfumonet. first of all it doesnt have the quality and punches nose with its synthetic notes. it's sweet like hell, as a sweet fragrance lover i couldnt tolerate this one. longevity and sillage are only good things that we can talk about.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 5.0/10
Heavy sweet!
Sweet and heavy, Individuel is an excellent perfume.

Joop Homme is certainly more sinthetic and not as well crafted as this, why they differ.

I feel a very pronounced notes of cinnamon, vanilla and pineapple mostly.

Lasting power is high and with huge projection.

KLewis 19 days ago
Nice scent but not fantastic longevity. Similar to Creed Original Santal but fruitier, and Joop Homme but not as overpoweringly sweet.+2
Bottle 8.0
Sillage 7.0
Longevity 5.0
Scent 7.5
DPArtist 165 days ago
Blind buy due to the hype (so much for being 'individual' hey) ; scent is not for me, far too sweet. But maybe the ladies will like it...+1
Bottle 8.0
Sillage 7.0
Longevity 9.0
Scent 6.5
JoaoMartins 57 days ago
Overrated and synthetic! Yep very close to Original Santal. If you like the Creed go for this one.
Bottle 4.0
Sillage 6.0
Longevity 6.0
Scent 4.0
MrHonest 13 months ago
Am I the only one who gets chocolate? Really dig your nose in...it's in there. Not my fav from the house, but a solid "city" frag + value.
Bottle 6.0

• by KLewis by KLewis
  • by Miaw2 by Miaw2
  • by Thecombad by Thecombad

Popular Montblanc

Individuel (Eau de Toilette) by Montblanc Legend (Eau de Toilette) by Montblanc Legend Intense by Montblanc Legend Spirit by Montblanc Femme de Montblanc by Montblanc Présence (Eau de Toilette) by Montblanc Starwalker (Eau de Toilette) by Montblanc Legend pour Femme by Montblanc Emblem by Montblanc Legend Night by Montblanc Présence d'Une Femme by Montblanc Femme Individuelle by Montblanc Lady Emblem by Montblanc Homme Exceptionnel (Eau de Toilette) by Montblanc Lady Emblem L'Eau by Montblanc Emblem Intense by Montblanc Legend Special Edition 2012 by Montblanc Femme Individuelle Special Edition Soul & Senses by Montblanc Legend pour Femme Special Edition 2014 by Montblanc Legend Special Edition 2013 by Montblanc