Explorer Ultra Blue 2021

Explorer Ultra Blue by Montblanc
Bottle Design Mark Eisen
Explorer Ultra Blue is a new perfume by Montblanc for men and was released in 2021. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesItalian bergamot, Citrus fruits, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesMarine notes, Ambergris
Base Notes Base NotesIndonesian patchouli, Woody notes, Leather

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 17.06.2021.

Why so much criticism?
Finally, the Corona numbers go down again and I go today for the first time eagerly in the perfumery of my confidence. Already in advance I had dealt with the new releases, which saw the light of day in 2021. I particularly focused on the "fresheners" as I have always been a fan of blue, citrus and aquatic scents. Spicy, smoky and heavily woody scents could never really pick me up.... God knows why :p
On my test plan were 3 scents: Light Blue Forever (with the supposedly awesome smelling blood orange), MontBlanc Ultra Blue and Cologne Bleu by YSL.... I think you now know what kind of droughts I go for ;)
When I arrived, the new Light Blue already jumped into my eyes, because it was pictured in the shop window. Since my little heart made a jump and I went without further into the store.
Sprayed on and smelled it. Eyes frown and sniffed again...
Well, what can I say? Indeed, a strong blood orange which I was allowed to perceive before in no other fragrance. But so mega good as often described? I do not know. For me definitely not worth the money. I could have also cut open a grapefruit and spread it on my skin. Would have been in my opinion the same smell ... Well, there were two left. So I reached for the Cologne Bleu and sprayed it on. A typical drugstore freshness opening and already after a short time a clear similarity to the TuttiFrutti Invictus. For me, unfortunately, also a grab in the toilet? One was now so still left: Ultra Blue by MontBlanc
On the net and on YouTube increasingly heard negative, which is why I had no high expectations of the fragrance.
Sprayed on and smelled:
The fragrance definitely starts very citrusy and pleasant. If I had to describe the top note, I would say that it is a good mix of 2828 by Acqua Alpes and the green "Skin Food" cream by Weleda. Overall, the scent is rather linear in my eyes, but maybe my nose is just not trained enough to pick out the individual components.... The scent defentively doesn't fill the room when you enter it. Personally, I like that well^^ Can of course also be due to my but quite economical amount of 2 sprays ;) Durability for a freshie above average. For sure no very uniquer fragrance, but the rating of 6.5 is in my eyes then already very deep set.

KimJong
A familiar, clean, mineralic scent
I was quite looking forward to it even before it was released. I tested it on my skin yesterday and also brought a scented paper. Now I have to say that it is a thorough mainstream aquatic perfume but not boring. Explorer Ultra Blue can still be included in the same category with Sauvage, Y, or so, but it is not a shower gel type, rather a perfume with marine mineral elements such as Bvlgari Aqva, D&G LB Swimming In Lipari, or Invictus Legend.

We already know that Montblanc is not a brand of originality or artistry in the perfume market. Their value is to finely predict consumer demand and join the trend at the right time. But they couldn't join the ambroxan festival of the 2010s. They must have been very concerned about how to inherit the trend as a latecomer in the market, and the result is this, Explorer Ultra Blue. They didn't make the scent more luxurious or special at all. Instead, they took note of the phenomenon in which other designer brands began to accept the salty mineral use. That salty mineral use is something that niche houses have tried first, something that has already been known to the point of safety, but has not become very popular yet.

Anyway, the early opening of Ultra Blue is a fruity cocktail-like scent, which is not very refreshing but also not sticky. This opening provides sweetness for teenage consumers but does not follow the pattern of mainstream men's perfumes. Anyway, the opening disappears quickly, soon after, a salty bergamot pops out. Pepper doesn't stand out very much, but adds a little bit of sharpness to this. And the ambroxan bomb, which is already supersaturated in the market, begins, and it followed the trend of men's perfumes in the 2010s, but emphasized the salty one. It is not necessary to mention the synthetic patchouli and leather that remain in the drydown. They are not materials for a good scent, they are just to increase the longevity, I think.

However, I think there's a reason why mineralic thing can't be completely mainstream, like ozonic thing. Ozonic perfumes make citrus brighter and more beautiful under certain conditions, but when it's not very hot, they also smell like cheap wipes. Likewise, Mineralic perfumes can give different experiences depending on the wearer, but sometimes it evokes horrible unpleasant memories for a person like me. I was born in a conscription country and had to be conscripted regardless of my will. Soldiers there disinfected always, whether was cleaning a camp or grooming equipment, with iodine solution. So the mineralic perfume is the smell of iodine solution used in the army for me. Whether it calls mineralic, marine or seaweed, whatever.

Nevertheless, Explorer Ultra Blue may be the first Mineralic perfume I'll buy. It scents more familiar and wearable than other perfumes with mineral notes to express the cold smell of the sea. it's more recent than Bvlgari Aqva. Nor is it overly sweet like Invictus Legend. It's definitely more masculine than D&G Light Blue Swimming In Lipari. It lasts longer than Valentino Born In Roma and has a little more clean feeling. But surely Ultra Blue won't be my most favorite perfume, and even if I buy it, it'll be time to sell at a discount store very cheaply. Sometimes others simply abbreviate these words as "Nothing Special", but I thought this perfume was pretty good than "Nothing Special". That's because It have made the kind of smell what I hate as acceptable as possible.

PS 1: Very little resemblance to Explorer original. The original wasn't even a literally original anyway, you know, so please stop your hasty expectations about Ultra Blue.

PS 2: If it's the same price range, of course ADG Profondo is much better. However, if the price of Explorer Ultra Blue goes down to 1/3 of Profondo, the evaluation will be different.

PS 3: I'm sorry for my childish English.

DPArtistDPArtist 17 days ago
1st thoughts-Not bad, very fresh modern 'blue type' opening, I don't find it linear and the base notes eventually reveal themselves to me.
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 2 months ago
tested it today at my local fragrance store. This has to be one of the lightest perfumes I have ever smelled. Water +a slight citrus squeeze

Popular Montblanc

Explorer by Montblanc Individuel (Eau de Toilette) by Montblanc Présence (Eau de Toilette) by Montblanc Signature (Eau de Parfum) by Montblanc Legend Spirit by Montblanc Legend Night by Montblanc Starwalker (Eau de Toilette) by Montblanc Legend Intense by Montblanc Femme de Montblanc (Eau de Parfum) by Montblanc Legend (Eau de Toilette) by Montblanc Legend pour Femme by Montblanc Présence d'Une Femme by Montblanc Lady Emblem L'Eau by Montblanc Legend (Eau de Parfum) by Montblanc Homme Exceptionnel (Eau de Toilette) by Montblanc Lady Emblem by Montblanc Emblem Intense by Montblanc Emblem by Montblanc Legend pour Femme Special Edition 2014 by Montblanc Legend Special Edition 2012 by Montblanc