Sumatra Rain by Mülhens / Muelhens
Sumatra Rain (Mülhens / Muelhens)
Sumatra Rain (Mülhens / Muelhens)

Sumatra Rain is a popular perfume by Mülhens / Muelhens for men and was released in 1993. The scent is fresh-green. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Galbanum, Lavender, Lemon, Petitgrain
Heart Notes Heart NotesCyclamen, Geranium, Jasmine, Orange blossom, Rose, Meadow clary
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Moss, Musk, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 22.01.2019

Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
Sumatra Rain
In the 90s we all had long hair, listened to rock and grunge and then when the torn pants a la Guns n' Roses out became surfer gear from Chiemsee, Maui Waui, Or casual sail slippers from North Sails and Co. And then there was Sumatra Rain. The guy in the commercial you can still see on Youtube is one of the best looking long-haired male models ever. So what's closer than getting this stuff as a young teenager? D
Cool advertising, cool guy, horny name, and then this really nice green in the bottle.
Now the problem. I'm afraid the scent is cheap. Just what you can expect for a cheap drugstore fragrance. I never wanted it to be true as a young guy and I bought it more often. "It's so cool, it must smell good!"
But it didn't. It even gave me more headaches. And this as a young person, where you have even thicker fur. Sumatra Rain was more of a lifestyle perfume. It looked good and had the right image but was basically crap. I liked the smell somehow and then again not.
Too synthetic, too strong, and too exaggerated in his character. I got an original here and sprayed it on myself a couple days ago. Old butterfly that pops.
There's a cloud of scent coming out.
I can't tell which component gives me a headache and overwhelms me, but unfortunately it does. This pompous density of the fragrance is already exhausting. If they'd formulated it more discreetly and omitted a few things. Orange and rose were never my thing. Sage? Unfortunately SR is too flowery.
Too bad.
Who wants to know what smells similar:
Mine pour Homme reminds me a little of Sumatra Rain. And it's green, too
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
Joe
"Raindrops keep falling on my head..."

I had this fragrance in the 1990's, then suddenly it vanished from the shops.
Now, 20 years ago, it moves in with me again.
Even if this visit is only for a short while and probably will be a single event – I enjoy the rain.

Sumatra Rain is a totally unique, fresh and lighthearted fragrance, wonderfully aquatic and nevertheless with a fine citric spiciness.
Discreet flowery sweetness on a woody-mossy base.
A young and youthful green chypre that gives a more modern impression than ever.
Pure nature, indeed like a shower somewhere in Sumatra's rain forests...

The name, the flacon and the fragrance are coherent.
For me, it is one of the best men's fragrances ever issued by Mülhens.
It belongs to the past, like some other creations of that time.
Certainly, this has to do with the fact that Mülhens was sold to Wella, later on to Procter & Gamble and finally to Dalli.

"Raindrops keep falling on my head, but just for a little while, I bet!"

Translation: Apicius