Essence by Narciso Rodriguez
Bottle Design: Ross Lovegrove

Essence is a popular perfume by Narciso Rodriguez for women and was released in 2009. The scent is fresh-powdery. It was last marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.

Benzoin, Iris, Musk, Rose

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 14.08.2019

InTOXIcation
Frost flowers bloom at night
"In the sky shines a silver lining < br /> The evening converts dew to frost
The bleach that snows from our cheeks
Make us beautiful like angels
You should get on your knees
And pray that the moon will remain hidden"

It's the lines of this song from Subway to Sally or from Eisblume which I think of and which I want to quote when I spray this scent on.
He is tender.
Vulnerable.
No "make me strong" scent.
A "with you I may be weak" scent.
Like a white silk scarf with silver sparkling stars.
Like a dewdrop on a rose petal.
Like an ice crystal on a window pane.
Like pale pink lips and light complexion.
Snuggle up in a bright blanket.
Gently melancholic. A beautiful melancholy.
Thoughtful, not depressive.
A delicate silver band on the wrist on which I rest my head while thinking back to my holiday in Iceland.
A scent like cool wind before I saw the northern lights.
A scent like an eraser.
Not of smell, but of effect.
Erase the heavy thoughts to give space to the new, fresh thoughts.
Lightness.
Purity.
Everything's all right again.
Nothing is too much.
Nothing is too little.
Everything is as it should be.
And it stays that way for a few hours Without tearing others away.
Quiet. But for me intensive.

"The day flees hastily from the city
She drinks herself full of the shadows
And reveal their true countenance
The puddles already shimmer like ice"

Sorry I didn't respond to the individual components. But the simple, yet adorable Quadriga really speaks for itself here.
I wanted to write down more the emotions and what the smell triggers in me.
Thanks for reading.

FIN
7.5 7.5 9.0/10

Musky Rose
Narciso Rodiquez has a way with musk. This isn't the most potent scent ever, but it's certainly an hypnotic Rose, Iris adding a lovely muted twist. Though Essence doesn't begin to challenge the incomparable Narciso Rodriquez for her, it's a superior and entrancing floral and affordable, too--more seductive, more interesting than most rose scents. A fortuitous blind buy indeed.
10.0 5.0 7.5 6.0/10

Very Similar To Essence, but with Jazz Hands
I found Essence Iridescent to be very similar to Essence, with a little more glam and glitter. If Essence is your HG musk, than you won't be disappointed. If you are unfamiliar with the differences between the NR for Her iterations and Essence... I can only say, that for me, where NR for Her was a definite "No" in all it's formats, Essence poses a definite "Maybe", due to the switching of the 'sexy Egyptian musk' with a slightly less raunchy daytime version of musk and a bright, clean powdery iris and rose complex. Back to that NR Essence signature musk note- you'll find a generous dose here that seems to pop up a few minutes earlier than in the original Essence. Much to my chagrin, the lovely powdery iris and rose are diminished and I find the overall effect to be a bit screetchy and sharp.I swapped this off eventually realizing I couldn't wear it in comfort, it's just a tad irritating and synthetic, reminding me of dry cleaning chemicals, intermittently. Overall, the bottle and the beautifully shimmering pearlescent fragrance look more enticing than the original Essence and the shimmering effect on the skin, makes it something special for a Summer evening date, for example.
5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Indeed the 'laundry queen' in every way
I'm not usually one for soapy, clean fragrances, however Essence by Narciso Rodriguez is more than just pleasant, it's lovely.

One reviewer termed this fragrance the 'laundry queen'. While the scent does remind me of crisp, white linen, this scent is not overly sharp, laundry detergent or anything like nose-burning soap.

The floral notes are what balances out this fragrance. The rose and iris notes take on an almost powdery quality which compliments the rich, soapy scent well. Essence is very pure in a way. Innocent, delicate and refreshing.

There is a tiny touch of sweetness towards the drydown which reminds me that Essence is more than just clean sheets swaying in the breeze. This fragrance although not overly complex, is enough to capture me with its musky charm.

The lasting power is very good and the sillage rather average, but certainly not soft, it has a presence. I find this fragrance far more superior than Narciso Rodriguez for Her, which I found disappointing to say the least.

by Kaleeh