For HimFor Him Musc Collection (2009) Eau de Parfum

For Him (Eau de Parfum) / For Him Musc Collection by Narciso Rodriguez

For Him (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Narciso Rodriguez for men and was released in 2009. The scent is floral-animal. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.

Iris, Musk, Red berries

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 17.11.2019

9.0 7.0 8.0 9.5/10

Beauty and the Beast - not for everyone
Narcisos "For Him" from the Musk-Edition was a blind buy for me, who added a musk fragrance to my collection. For years - and long before the discovery of perfume - my only fragrance was "White Musk" from Body Shop. The clean, feel-good aura that the musk weaves around its wearer has made me a faithful wearer of this simple but well-composed fragrance. When I went deeper into the matter of fragrances, "White Musk" wandered all the way back into my fragrance shelf, it was too flat for me now, too little complex in its course and most of all I was disturbed by the volatility of this fragrance. More body spray than eau de toilette, the durability of my former signature scent seemed ridiculous to me in the meantime. If I had to personify "White Musk", he would be a white dressed beauty, without corners and edges. A rather fleeting acquaintance, for a longer intensive acquaintance he is simply too little down-to-earth.
As the collection continued to grow and fresh, sweet, oriental and spicy fragrances were added, the purple bottle remained in the back corner of the display case. Only from time to time after a shower was he allowed to unfold his feel-good aura for the duration of 20 minutes. One evening, when the fragrance had disappeared all too quickly, I set out to look for a musk fragrance that proved to be more persistent.
I quickly ended up with Narciso Rodriguez, whose unmistakable handwriting shows that the men's and women's fragrance collections use musk as the basic substance. So far I had only been able to try the "For Him Bleu Noir" edition and some of the women's fragrances, I had probably overlooked the "For Him Musk Collection" so far. The forum here didn't reflect too many and also rather split opinions yet.
After I discovered Francis Kurkdjian as the perfumer behind the fragrance, my interest was fully aroused. Unlike his early creations (Le Male), he often uses only a few, but very exquisite flavours in his own brand's fragrances. True to the motto "less is more", in my opinion absolute masterpieces are created in this way. The reduced number of ingredients does not result in less complex fragrances, but rather in a particularly harmonious development of the fragrance process - from spraying on and initial contact with the top note throughout the entire drydown. Kurkdjian knows like no other how to hide the alcoholic basis of every perfume.

In the case of "For Him" the first contact with my blind buy was frightening. While I had only been used to a sparkling clean, warm-sweet musk note so far, the new bottle confronted me with an impetuous, stirring and at first truly irritating fragrance experience. I lacked the words to even describe what I had just smelt. I read the three ingredients again: Musk, red berries, iris. Iris I had learned to love in all variations with Dior Homme at the latest. Until today I can't even guess the iris in "For Him".
Musk, originally a sexual attractant of the musk animal, which is now exclusively synthesized, exudes an either sweet or animal note. And that is exactly what distinguishes "For Him" - it makes the man an animal, so to speak. The fragrance starts already in the top note with a fragrance nuance that I had never smelled before and that irritated and deterred me massively during the first times. I wanted to set the scent in the souk as a bad buy, so the fascination of this masterpiece opened up for me.
"For Him" gives its wearer a scenttaura that makes him a beast. He awakens the animal in the man - not in an obscene, barbaric or even coarse way, but in a noble way. "For Him" smells like Kurkdjian usual very high-quality, has a reasonable shelf life of six to eight hours, in the first two also with acceptable Sillage.
The title already expresses the warning that comes from my first impressions. I would always try this fragrance several times in advance, because I can imagine that it hits many people in the head. The animal note, which can hardly be described with scents and yet seems so inconceivably attractive to me, could also cause repulsion. I would most likely compare "For Him" with the smell when you come from sport satisfied and sweaty without the lactic acid bacteria doing their thankless job. In addition, there are overripe red forest berries, which give the fragrance a dark, warm depth and make it sensual. They also take the sweat note (not meant to be negative) of the sharpness, round it off and turn the wearer into a tameable beast.
If I were to personify "For Him Musk", I would see a muscular, bison-headed Minotaur in front of me, who is preparing to perform courtship display in a clearing in the woods. A being as crazy, fascinating and at the same time mystical as Krukdjian's composition.
This fragrance is still both a fascination and a mystery for me. The difficulty of putting the fragrance into words is made clear by the long prologue. My final conclusion is: absolutely test - frighten violently - be enchanted. If after ten attempts the spark has not ignited - hands off.
Let him wake the "cattle" in you! Become a beast!
7.0 7.0 7.0 9.0/10

Golcher
For Him, for me, for you
This was an unexpected surprise. My first contact with For Him was at a Department store where while browsing through fragrances the girl helping me suggested Narciso Rodriguez, she sprayed the EDT version and I fell in love with the scent. I couldn't get it out of my head for a couple of weeks so whike xmas shopping I found the EDP and bought it blindly and have no regrets.

Narciso's For Him is nice change of pace from all those vanilla and tonka bean heavy fragrances flooding the industry so having it in your collection is a welcome contrast. 10 in Uniquenes

Btw, can someone tell me how different is the EDT to the EDP?
9.0 6.0 6.0 7.0/10

Antibrumm. Floral Edition.
After the fabulous Bleu Noir, I thought I'd treat myself to another Rodriguez and because of the good reviews I ordered it blind. Just because I can. And because Francis Kurkdjian is not the worst of all perfumers now. And because I'm into musk scents.

So I unpack, enjoy the beautiful bottle and spray first into the crook of my arm. The first WTF moment. But not positive. What's that? What's that? Antibrumm? If I were a mosquito, I'd have fallen dead from the sky.

So for now I fall back on the facts. But I don't throw the shotgun into the grain or the lily into the compost yet.

And indeed - the scent changes after the obligatory hour. Becomes massively softer, more powdery, the musk fights its way past the lilies/iris offensive and lends the perfume the longed-for masculinity.

The Narciso scent starts to please me - the flowery note remains quite dominant - but maybe this gives the musk the balance it needs to not drift into the musk standard mush.

Let's see if he can give me back the confidence that I've gained - so far I'm not quite sure yet.

9.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Narciso's Eau de Parfum For Him - a musc try
This perfume isa sculpture carved in a rock named musc (Musk ). You must try this scent at least once. Narciso Rodriguez loves musc scents and preaferably with a good dose of sensuality. Master Chef François Kurkdjian cooked it almost to perfection for us to enjoy.
I must reconize that this fragrance is quite simple, very linear and kind of let me identify only the notes of musc and iris. I do detect a faint sweetness probably due to the listed red berries third note.
"For Him" is sexy and manly, a real head turner due to its scent (a good intense musc does wonders) and uniqueness. I don't have a clue why some reviewers claim it to be rather feminin. A feeling of "what's that" lingers in the air around any For Him wearer. Strange enough is the fact that this scent does remind me a lot of another gem but a complex one, with more than two douzains of different notes. I am speaking about Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme helas also a not so well known fragrance but an absolute manly fragrance and an icon of the perfume industry. VCA Pour Homme has a faint note of musc, no iris, no red berries and lots od wood, leather, patchouli and different types of grass.
I suspect that probably For Him uses more notes than those listed for this fragrance. There is a pleasant fougére background and in my opinion it doesn't seem possible to be originated by the minimalistic unveiled three notes. Narciso Rodriguez claims this fragrance to be a "fougére musquée boisé". It is really a musc landmark, but other notes are needed for it to be so woody and grassy as it seems to be.
It also give us an above average performance as a bonus. Longevity and sillage are a bit inferior than the "For Him" EDT performance, but it is a lot bigger than in other sexy scents like "La Nuit" or "Dylan".

We must look at this fragrance math to better understand it:
Scent Opening: 8.5 (my judgement)
Scent Dry Down: 8.5 (my judgement)
Longevity: 8.5 (8 hours+ with two sprays)
Sillage: 7.5 (more than 6 feet at its peak with 2 sprays)
Uniqueness: 10.0 (the similarity I claim it to have with VCA Pour Homme, does not count :-)
Compliments: 7.0 (not a serious compliment grabber although it's a head turner because it arouses curiosity)
Wearability: 9.5 (Use it day or night during all seasons except in hot summer days)
Versatility: 8.0 (You may use it in almost any event, although some perfumes are more adequate for specific situations. Avoid using it in the beach, in sunny events and workout.)
Quality: 9.5 (my judgement)
Presentation: 9.0 (elegant, classy, efective and simple)
Price: 7.0 (100 ml non tester for 44 Euros + shipping)

Overall rating: 8.45/10.00
- between 7 and 8 =above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recomended;
- bigger than 9 = don't miss it;

I recommend this fragrance; "Musc" I say more?
9.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Janus Of The Fragrance Game
Scentrack
Fun Lovin' Criminals - Love Unlimited

Musc has a deliberately synthetic nature (an undeliberate oxymoron). It is created to expose all the multiple nuances of synthetic molecules. It possesses strong contemporary, cold, but sexy urban vibe.
Red berries from the start are easily detectable, but they don’t smell like natural berries. More like a sweet shadow of red berries. They are present, but cannot vouch they are not some kind of olfactory mirage. The iris is again semisynthetic with wet powdery aspect. It reminds me of entering the flower shop with its humid atmosphere. The musk is huge, and also multifaceted. At one point is clean, like a clean cotton candle, on the other some darker amber, animalic note emerges. However, this dark side is well hidden and not easily detectable. Probably the Janus-like musk is created by using the multiple musky molecules, like a Takasago’s Musk T or Oxalide T, but one should be a professional to distinguish these complex musky aspects. Deep in the background, I sensed some already smelt part of the original For Him like a touch of patchouli (could be also a part of the dark side of musk) and green violet leaf fougere tendencies.
7.0 7.0 7.0 3.5/10

Manscents
Narciso for him EDP....Not for me
Narciso for Him - This for me smells too musky and has a dark vibe to it. Something about this fragrance reminds me of the musty smell of a damp concrete building and is not pleasant. Although it has good projection and silage I think this is over rated and I fail to appreciate the scent.

I regret the purchase!

6.0/10

K1
Daring musk for a designer
Musk is a cornerstone of perfumery, yet, daring solid musky fragrances are few as fingers! What a surprise. For Him Musk is one of those challenging musk-oriented fragrances.
The perfume begins with the same dirty animalic sweetness of musk glands. This straight manner repulses me a bit but since I'm a fan of musk I really can't stop sniffing. Sniffing loyalty and pureness.

For Him Musk begins with musky fruity aquatic theme and powdery iris note in the base. The iris note is not so premium but this lack is covered by good accord of musk. Not mentioned here, but apparently coumarin and very slight dose of vanilla intervene the base of the fragrance.

Longevity: 7/10
Sillage: 6/10
Scent: 6.5/10
10.0 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Narciso Rodriguez for Him Eau de Parfum
I'm not sure why violets aren't listed in the note pyramid, because to me this is an extremely smooth and simple fragrance that showcases a grayish floral violet note blended and backed by a powerful white musk. The iris note is also very white, airy, and floral. It serves to accent the perimeter of this EDP and extend its radiance outward, lending the impression of clouds at some far away distance in the sky. I honestly don't pick up on much pink pepper here--if I look closely at the heart of the fragrance I can smell a touch of a sweet spiciness, but it's very subtle and not what immediately jumps out. This fragrance is more bitter than sweet, in my opinion, and more "perfumey" than earthy. By "perfumey" I mean that the white musk, and violet-iris tandem dominate on a level that is more in tune with flower petals and the airy space around them than anything coming from the roots or soil below. Furthermore, a bit of a synthetic nature is lent by the white musk, though that's not to say it's unpleasant or harsh. Overall a very clean, somewhat formal fragrance that seems almost flawless in its construction. The notes pair so well together and appear to execute exactly what they set out to do. I think this fragrance is unisex. Men obviously like it, and there's something in here that reminds me of the classic Rive Gauche, on a drier, airier level, but I wouldn't think twice if I smelled this on a woman either. The floral aspect and gender-neutral white musk are reminiscent of common components in many women's perfumes. In fact, on average, I think guys might shy away from this one due to these aspects, and understandably so.

To summarize, I think this is a very good Eau de Parfum by Narciso Rodriguez. It's brighter, cleaner, smoother, and more upbeat than the EDT (which isn't a knock against the EDT), and could work wonders on the right man wearing a white button up shirt and sports coat. Its performance is excellent. At the same time, you may find this too formal, too suave, or simply not like the very distinct combination of white musk, violets, and iris. As for me, I'm going to hang on to it for a while and see if I can make it work. While it's not my typical style of fragrance, it seems too good to give up on yet, and somewhere down the road, it just might stick.

Thumbs up and I recommend sampling this to see if it works for you.
8.0/10

Intense
It's intense alright, a blast of musk you're wearing and while standing in the crowds, one will go up to you and ask what is it you're wearing it smell so good. Probably like aged whisky barreled within oak wood. Upon releasing, it's smooth yet refined. This intense is like NR for him but the musk is stronger and very soft.
When you are wearing this, you won't go unnoticed.
7.5 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Apicius
Who is going to buy that?
Musk perfumes are quite rare, especially among the men's fragrances. It is a special type of fragrance: not that much complex but always neat as a pin! They are a delight to those who want an air of cleanliness and trimness around themselves.

Perfumes like those of Musc Collection do not achieve that by linking to the type of scents that can be found in so many deodorants and shower gels, they invoke the idea of trimness as it comes from cosmetic remedies like hand cream and balms. I'd like to presume that those creamy-floral perfumes rather appeal to the ladies – who are then supposed to buy a fragrance like Narciso Rodriguez' Musc Collection for their lovers.

Musc Collection for Him is creamy, soft and floral – and only the flowers may be a bit more discreet compared to the ladies' scents of that type. I think one or another musk is floral in itself, however, not smelling like a particular flower. To present Musc Collection for Him as a gent's frag seems rather a marketing decision, the scent itself is not more than unisex.

This reasonable priced mass market perfume offers a decent quality. Only the longevity is a bit short. However, there are alternatives both less or more expensive. If you want to save money, the Musk by the traditional Berlin brand of Harry Lehmann would also be an acceptable choice, and in the niche sector Keiko Mecheri shows us with their Musk that such a perfume does not have to be boring. It can be vibrant, sensual and seductive – and this is the reason why I do not need Musc Collection for Him.

Golcher 11 months ago
A welcome change of pace from all those vanilla and tonka bean heavy fragrances, having it provides a nice contrast in your collection+2
9.0
Carlitos01 15 months ago
Narciso Rodriguez For Him is sexy and manly, a real head turner due to its scent and uniqueness; a good intense musc does wonders.+4
9.0