L'Air du Temps 1948 Eau de Parfum

L'Air du Temps (Eau de Parfum) by Nina Ricci
Bottle Design Marc Lalique
L'Air du Temps (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Nina Ricci for women and was released in 1948. The scent is floral-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Francis Fabron

BenzoinBenzoin
CedarCedar
AmbergrisAmbergris
MossMoss

Submitted by WiB, last update on 28.12.2021.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume L'Air du Temps (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci, which differs in concentration.

FvSpee
They should meet one another in a spirit of fraternity
Perhaps the most beautiful secular text ever written is the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. It was proclaimed in New York in 1948. Article I reads: "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and shall treat one another in a spirit of brotherhood." That same year, Nina Ricci launched this fragrance in Paris: "The Spirit of the Times." What a year!

We Germans understand 1948 as the first good year of the post-war period. The great killing had already been suppressed, the horrible, arctic hunger winter of 1946/1947 was a year ago. The currency reform, the establishment of the Trizone and the work on the Basic Law marked an economic and political new dawn.

Elsewhere, the convulsive convulsions in which the planet had basically fevered since 1914 still continued bloodily. In the Greek Civil War, the balance was already clearly tilted against the Communists, but fierce fighting was still going on. British India had gained independence in 1947, but disintegrated under chaos and civil war into Pakistan on the one hand and the Indian Union on the other; in January a fanatical Hindu shot Mahatma Gandhi. In China, the bloodiest battles of theCivil War were fought between Mao's People's Liberation Army and the National Government. Only after four million deaths did it end in October 1949, when the Communists triumphed on the mainland and the National Government, with two million civilians in its wake, crossed over to Taiwan and proclaimed a separate state.

Still, even where the world was still deeply mired in violence and misery, there was a sense in the air that healing and recovery were no longer far away. The spirit of the time, L'Air du Temps, was one of longing and hope for peace, happiness, and brotherhood of man. The victorious powers were not yet finally divided, the road to the Cold War not yet sealed, the very young United Nations still embodied the chance of world government, that liberty, justice and progress might arise throughout the planet from the ashes of war.

The spirit of the age is breathed, in a perfect manner, in this great proclamation. Its brevity, accuracy, beauty, and sublimity have never since been equalled. How it was written, and by whom, is worth a novel, nay, a motion picture. It was not a fine great convention, carefully quota'd by sexes, continents, religions, and political tendencies. Chance, fate, the maelstrom of the mad post-war period in which it hurled refugees around the globe, brought the five principal authors together rather by accident: Eleanor Roosevelt, the highly political widow of the U.S. president who died in 1945. Then two titans of Western jurisprudence: the then only 43-year-old Canadian John Peters Humphrey, a lifelong fighter for human rights and especially women's rights, subtle and of cosmopolitan Methodist piety, and René Cassin, a goatee-bearded Frenchman of real grit and grist, who had hung up his legal career during the war and founded "Free France" with de Gaulle. And two Renaissance men from the Asian continent: the Lebanese polymath Charles Malik, physicist, mathematician, physician and philosopher (he had studied with Heidegger and spoke fluent German), who passionately quoted Thomas Aquinas during the deliberations. And Peng Chun Chang of Beijing, Confucian scholar, expert on Islam, and theater director, who had fought the Japanese and fled from them in drag, and had traveled throughout the Soviet Union: he snapped at his colleagues about how they wanted to talk about human rights without having studied Confucius thoroughly.

In the end, there was the Declaration of Human Rights. The General Assembly adopted it by a vote of 48 to zero. Ten states abstained (the reasons are a story of their own). Many people everywhere wept as they heard its words on the radio and read them in the newspapers:

All men are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should meet one another in a spirit of brotherhood. (...) No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms. No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. (...) No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or expulsion. (...) Marriage shall be contracted only upon the free and full consent of the prospective spouses. (...) All children, legitimate and illegitimate, shall enjoy the same social protection. (...)

The spirit of the time is also breathed in this fragrance. It opens with a cheerful prelude. Bell-bright laughing spring blossoms and champagne-like sparkling fruit chords of a bass-like deep, but still free and light sweetness unite in the most advantageous way. Very soon the perhaps six-hour heart of this work begins: powerful floral chords, some tart and some disparate to each other, strong spices and a hint of animalic and aldehydic notes create an extreme dynamic. It is tense to the point of tearing, but it manages a double feat: it always retains its inner unity, the centrifugal forces never gain the upper hand. And it always remains, even if sometimes only by a hair's breadth, suspended in the clear and serene primer of hope and love that the entrance of the fragrance provides. A balsamic, almost creamy base brings back memories of the most beautiful moments of the fragrance, serene fantasies of light breezes on happy shores and bright, limey spices that fade away like a dream. The name of the fragrance says it all. The shape of the bottle combines classic and modern, dynamic and unity. It is crowned by a dove of peace.

It sometimes seems that our time is no longer capable of enthusiastic hopes like those of 1948, the great dreams of humanity-wide fraternization. Doves of peace on flasks seem only ironically or kitschily possible today. And pathos for freedom, equality, and beauty, what can that be but lies and political calculation.

But perhaps appearances are deceiving, and one need only look more closely. And would it not be a mistake to ridicule these hopes, that they may spring forth again only when humanity stands once more on ruins?

Tania Sanchez, in her reference book written with Luca Turin, devotes a few scathing lines to the fragrance which, if I may say so, I find hard to understand. As far as there (only in passing) is mentioned, the fragrance is only a ridiculous, pathetic shadow of the original version, I lacked the possibility of a row test.

The attentive reader will notice that my commentary follows the same basic tenets as Schatzsucher's excellent, justly highly awarded review. My own commentary is not plagiaristic, but perhaps epigonal. I would humbly accept that judgment. There must be epigones, too.
Laminatrix
I can feel the pinch of my cheek
Yes, yes, olfactory memory. The other day I wanted to test THE classic and when I sprayed it I smelled like old apple tea - thanks to the strange skin chemistry. But I still had it on the tester and sniffed at it when I noticed that it was Aunt H.'s scent. Aunt H. - in the 50's village beauty and boss of my great-grandmother - found me very cute as a little girl and dragged me around unasked at every family party until I was about four. Always the hand on my cheek and always with a shrill voice (in the broadest Swabian) explain that I was so cute after all. My father and my favourite uncle saved me several times, but the feeling remained
This penetratingly piercing peach on a flowery bouquet is causing me slight anxiety in the meantime. Because of the good Sillage and the peculiarity of my aunt to spill half a bottle, l'Air du temps is now going well with me when I smell it on others.

On me, however, the smell comes out a bit musty and very strange. Fortunately
SchatzSucher
Confidence and hope in a bottle
At the moment, like many of us at home, I'm condemned to do nothing, and since I don't feel like thinking about whether my little one-man business will survive all this, I prefer to occupy myself with beautiful fragrances and a little journey through time, and with many a thought that goes through my mind.
Back to a time that many can hardly imagine, except through reports and stories from older relatives and acquaintances who have experienced this live.

1948, a time when the world was still ravaged by the consequences of the Second World War and the reconstruction of cities, the economy and political structures was intensive. The restoration of a certain order. A time when things were anything but smooth in Germany, as the four allied powers that administered Germany increasingly came into conflict, which then culminated in the Berlin blockade and a currency reform.
And as we know, a little later Germany divided into two republics for a good 40 years.
Nevertheless, the intention was not to deal only with uncomfortable topics, because with the reconstruction and restructuring of the world, the sense of beauty also reawakened.

Nina Ricci (1883 - 1970, under her real name Maria Adélaide Nielli) founded her fashion house in Paris together with her son Robert in 1932. As one of the few she was already able to assert herself in the fashion world with her romantic and feminine designs shortly after the world economic crisis in 1929.
In 1946, the fragrance Coeur Joie was launched on the market under her name. But much greater fame was achieved by L'Air du Temps, released in 1948, which still enjoys great popularity today.
And rightly so, I would argue By the way, Romano Ricci, the founder of Juliette Has A Gun, is the great-grandson of Nina Ricci.

L'Air du Temps is a splendid and rich floral-spicy fragrance with a very special magic. It starts with the bottle, which was originally designed by Marc Lalique.
And the flacon, with its doves of peace, perfectly symbolizes this restless and contradictory time with its aberrations and the desire for peace and contentment. Even though the cap is now made of plastic, I still admire this enchantingly beautifully designed flacon time and again.
The scent is just as enchanting.
Already the start is very flowery, the heart notes appear together with the top notes, a little bergamot is noticeable in the floral abundance, in addition many spices, I mean to perceive among other things some cinnamon, because I feel a nice warmth. The flowers unfold more and more, but the carnation with its unmistakable scent, which always brings a slight pungency, is the dominant note. A little bit of lily and ylang-ylang I perceive still underlining. This floweriness is without any sweetness and seems very mature to me. But I can recognize its grace and friendliness Later the warm and spicy impression is deepened by traces of wood and a hint of resin and moss. This could be a hint of chypre, but for me L'Air du Temps is not chypre in the strict sense. The moss in the base is not pronounced enough for this, the typical chypre resin and that certain strictness inherent in chypre scents are missing. And L'Air du Temps also makes a rather soapy impression.

The fragrance is wonderfully composed, as no note disturbs or seems unround to me.
For me, L'Air du Temps is a very touching fragrance, as a certain melancholy floats through the entire composition. A melancholy that arises when one reflects on past times and looks into an uncertain future. In my eyes, the fragrance and bottle embody this very well That time, the errors and confusion in the world, the insecurity, many cuts and losses that people had to accept. Much that was ended in a drastic way and a sign for a completely new beginning, connected with the great hope for better and more beautiful times
The name is also perfectly chosen, Zeitgeist, is the literal translation. The spirit of the times was full of hope and thus a bridge has been built to today. Because somehow everything repeats itself in one way or another.
At the moment we are all vacillating between hope and fear, hoping that this nerve-racking and gruelling time will end as soon as possible.
Outside there is just beautiful spring weather and the first spring blossoms can already be seen here and there. And yet there is always this intangible threat, healthwise, economically, personally. And I always find myself thinking about other times. Even if it was always restless at that time and sometimes one did not know how everything should go on.
And then there is often a fragrance that can't conjure away hard times, but may give some comfort and confidence for a while. And in these moments you wish that time would stand still for a moment I don't want to go back to the year 1948 now, but 2020 isn't much fun either, and we will probably have imagined it differently...
Nevertheless, we still have hope, confidence and positive thoughts. And no one can say how many people have sought refuge in this very fragrance and have enjoyed the 72 years that the fragrance has been on the market.
Here I can't give anything else but the full score for this soul scent.

And with many positive thoughts I wish all dear sniffers the very best! May we survive this nightmare as quickly as possible and without major injuries.

Thanks for reading.

Comforter for adults
So I did it - chose this scent as my signature scent. After all, it has accompanied me longer than any other fragrance.
Originally my mother looked for it for me (!) and over the years it became my everyday scent. That was still in the 80s and 90s, I wasn't constantly looking for that. Or yes, searching, but never satisfied. It just fit.
The scent was so interwoven with me that I always felt safe with it. Even in phases of tendezieller loneliness (long business trips, you don't know a soul, sitting alone at the airport etc) I only had to wrap myself in L'air du temps and felt completely at home - others have their cuddly toy for that.
At the same time it is nothing less than a cuddly scent, no, it is timeless and elegant. Flowery yes, normally I don't like it at all, but here it is a sea of flowers with elegant noble blossoms. Nothing intrusive, nothing too sweet.
I find the EdP even more elegant than the EdT.

A classic and, quite wrongly, sometimes downright bartered away, but all the better to make bargains.
For me one of the best and most timeless fragrances.

Bipolar carnation
The opening is very strong with carnation and cloves and it smells very synthetic to me. I was amost scared off and wondered how this can be named 'l'Air du Temps'.

All I had to do is wait. The strong irritating scents mellow in to a warm powdery, yet oddly, fresh scent. I can feel some sweet flowers and some soft spices. The whole mixture is in fact cozy, but unusual. It lives up to its name, l'Air du Temps.

I still don't like the opening. However, the drydown is lovely enough to encouraging me to wear it again and again. Who knows? I might actually love it after going through my mini.

Originally written in 2013

She bores me to tears
I own it, I like it, but I don't love it. So I do not quite get what all the rave is about. However, I catch myself wearing her quite a bit, because she is so uncomplicated. Fits to almost any surrounding and occasion, which is why she is my "I am too lazy to put any thought into what to wear, so let's grab for this" kind of frag. Maybe she doesn't quite get the respect from me that she deserves, because not every fragrance has to make a big statement or be as flamboyant as I perceive myself. So she has her place in my drawer, and that I use her so much must be a positive indicator after all. I like her way better than White Shoulders, which is my other fragrance that I wear when I do not want to think about what to wear, right after a shower, basically just to prolong the feeling of freshness and cleanness, when I have no intention to go anywhere. At least L'air du Temps is an upgrade in so far as I enjoy wearing her in public, but usually when I do not want to be noticed, but rather want to blend right in with no fuzz. Sorry if I offend so many lovers of this scent, but she really bores me to tears.

Still a beautiful classic
Bear with me a moment; I have a story to tell. (I have a point, I promise.) For Christmas, I received a gift card to Walmart. I must have browsed the aisles 10 times during January, looking for something to buy. In early February, I was looking at the perfume section, and I saw L'Air du Temps EDT on the shelf (the one in the plain tubular white bottle). It was around $27, but I'd been looking to try it, and I had this gift card, so I bought it. That night at home, I sprayed it on, and it was like a huge puff of acrid yuck! I couldn't believe this was considered a classic! And yet, there was something just under the surface that was nice. A hint, but it was there.

The next morning before work, I decided to give it a real daytime chance, so I sprayed it on my wrists. All day I smelled my wrists, and it was loud! Acrid and ammoniac, like a baby sitting in her wet diaper for too long. It gave me a headache, but there was still a hint of something really nice-smelling under that urine funk.

A few days later, I'm in Macy's, and I see the beautiful glass bottle EDT with the doves on the cap, and I decide to see if a higher price makes a difference on the quality. The bottom of this bottle said "Made in France." I thought that was odd because my little plain bottle from Walmart said "Made in Spain." I sprayed it on, and it was very nice. Very, VERY nice! Not at all like urine. It bloomed beautifully on my skin, and I could see why this is considered a classic. It rather reminds me of the Wind Song my mother used to wear when I was a child, though perhaps a bit more tender and mild.

I went straight home and ordered L'Air du Temps Eau de Parfum (after verifying that it is made in France!) and Ricci Ricci. They came the other day, and I'm delighted to report that the L'Air du Temps EDP is fantastic! It's quite strong, but still fresh. The florals and the sandalwood really bloom well together, and there is no ammonia blast! This scent lasts amazingly long--9+ hours! Sillage is good; higher than normal. My daughter (who is 12) thought it was "an old lady perfume," but I disagree. It does smell classic and classy, but I feel it is just as modern as when it first released in the 1940's. It lacks the fruity-sweet smell of current perfumery trends, so if that is what you seek, you will not find it in L'Air du Temps.

I cannot speak to reformulations, as I have only smelled a new one. However, here it is: We are finally to the point of all this!!! The point is to seek out a bottle of L'Air du Temps which is made in France, not Spain! And $27 for that stinker at Walmart was not all that cheap either. I still snagged a larger EDP online for less than that.

Aug. 1, 2017 EDIT: I wore this one today, and it does not do well in the heat. It is overwhelming! All day I've had this tightening around my head, it's growing and growing. There's a note in here that is just too much in the heat; it makes my head twinge! This is a perfume for cold weather evenings, in my opinion. I still like it, just not for warm weather.

Bcars10Bcars10 5 years ago
Really powerful juice, mostly only suitable for an evening out; I'd never wear this into a boardroom! Classic and classy.

by LeMiKo
by Arlufkin
by Turmfalke
by Turmfalke

Popular Nina Ricci

L'Air du Temps (Parfum) by Nina Ricci Phileas (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci Ricci-Club (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci Signoricci 1 (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci L'Extase Rose Absolue by Nina Ricci Farouche (Parfum) by Nina Ricci Nina (1987) (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci Les Belles de Nina - Nina (2006) by Nina Ricci Farouche (Eau de Parfum) by Nina Ricci Ricci Ricci by Nina Ricci Deci Delà (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci Liberté Acidulée / Liberty Fizz by Nina Ricci Délice d'Épices / Spicy Delight by Nina Ricci Signoricci 2 by Nina Ricci Premier Jour by Nina Ricci Love In Paris by Nina Ricci Les Belles de Nina - Nina L'Eau by Nina Ricci Belle de Minuit by Nina Ricci Mémoire d'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci