L'Air du Temps 1948Eau de Parfum

L'Air du Temps (Eau de Parfum) by Nina Ricci
Bottle Design Marc Lalique
L'Air du Temps (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Nina Ricci for women and was released in 1948. The scent is floral-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Francis Fabron

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Neroli, Peach, Rosewood, Spices
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, May rose, Ylang-ylang, Iris, Orchid, Lily
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Musk, Vetiver, Benzoin, Cedar, Ambergris, Moss

Submitted by WiB, last update on 14.11.2020.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume L'Air du Temps (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci, which differs in concentration.

Laminatrix
I can feel the pinch of my cheek
Yes, yes, olfactory memory. The other day I wanted to test THE classic and when I sprayed it I smelled like old apple tea - thanks to the strange skin chemistry. But I still had it on the tester and sniffed at it when I noticed that it was Aunt H.'s scent. Aunt H. - in the 50's village beauty and boss of my great-grandmother - found me very cute as a little girl and dragged me around unasked at every family party until I was about four. Always the hand on my cheek and always with a shrill voice (in the broadest Swabian) explain that I was so cute after all. My father and my favourite uncle saved me several times, but the feeling remained
This penetratingly piercing peach on a flowery bouquet is causing me slight anxiety in the meantime. Because of the good Sillage and the peculiarity of my aunt to spill half a bottle, l'Air du temps is now going well with me when I smell it on others.

On me, however, the smell comes out a bit musty and very strange. Fortunately
SchatzSucher
Confidence and hope in a bottle
At the moment, like many of us at home, I'm condemned to do nothing, and since I don't feel like thinking about whether my little one-man business will survive all this, I prefer to occupy myself with beautiful fragrances and a little journey through time, and with many a thought that goes through my mind.
Back to a time that many can hardly imagine, except through reports and stories from older relatives and acquaintances who have experienced this live.

1948, a time when the world was still ravaged by the consequences of the Second World War and the reconstruction of cities, the economy and political structures was intensive. The restoration of a certain order. A time when things were anything but smooth in Germany, as the four allied powers that administered Germany increasingly came into conflict, which then culminated in the Berlin blockade and a currency reform.
And as we know, a little later Germany divided into two republics for a good 40 years.
Nevertheless, the intention was not to deal only with uncomfortable topics, because with the reconstruction and restructuring of the world, the sense of beauty also reawakened.

Nina Ricci (1883 - 1970, under her real name Maria Adélaide Nielli) founded her fashion house in Paris together with her son Robert in 1932. As one of the few she was already able to assert herself in the fashion world with her romantic and feminine designs shortly after the world economic crisis in 1929.
In 1946, the fragrance Coeur Joie was launched on the market under her name. But much greater fame was achieved by L'Air du Temps, released in 1948, which still enjoys great popularity today.
And rightly so, I would argue By the way, Romano Ricci, the founder of Juliette Has A Gun, is the great-grandson of Nina Ricci.

L'Air du Temps is a splendid and rich floral-spicy fragrance with a very special magic. It starts with the bottle, which was originally designed by Marc Lalique.
And the flacon, with its doves of peace, perfectly symbolizes this restless and contradictory time with its aberrations and the desire for peace and contentment. Even though the cap is now made of plastic, I still admire this enchantingly beautifully designed flacon time and again.
The scent is just as enchanting.
Already the start is very flowery, the heart notes appear together with the top notes, a little bergamot is noticeable in the floral abundance, in addition many spices, I mean to perceive among other things some cinnamon, because I feel a nice warmth. The flowers unfold more and more, but the carnation with its unmistakable scent, which always brings a slight pungency, is the dominant note. A little bit of lily and ylang-ylang I perceive still underlining. This floweriness is without any sweetness and seems very mature to me. But I can recognize its grace and friendliness Later the warm and spicy impression is deepened by traces of wood and a hint of resin and moss. This could be a hint of chypre, but for me L'Air du Temps is not chypre in the strict sense. The moss in the base is not pronounced enough for this, the typical chypre resin and that certain strictness inherent in chypre scents are missing. And L'Air du Temps also makes a rather soapy impression.

The fragrance is wonderfully composed, as no note disturbs or seems unround to me.
For me, L'Air du Temps is a very touching fragrance, as a certain melancholy floats through the entire composition. A melancholy that arises when one reflects on past times and looks into an uncertain future. In my eyes, the fragrance and bottle embody this very well That time, the errors and confusion in the world, the insecurity, many cuts and losses that people had to accept. Much that was ended in a drastic way and a sign for a completely new beginning, connected with the great hope for better and more beautiful times
The name is also perfectly chosen, Zeitgeist, is the literal translation. The spirit of the times was full of hope and thus a bridge has been built to today. Because somehow everything repeats itself in one way or another.
At the moment we are all vacillating between hope and fear, hoping that this nerve-racking and gruelling time will end as soon as possible.
Outside there is just beautiful spring weather and the first spring blossoms can already be seen here and there. And yet there is always this intangible threat, healthwise, economically, personally. And I always find myself thinking about other times. Even if it was always restless at that time and sometimes one did not know how everything should go on.
And then there is often a fragrance that can't conjure away hard times, but may give some comfort and confidence for a while. And in these moments you wish that time would stand still for a moment I don't want to go back to the year 1948 now, but 2020 isn't much fun either, and we will probably have imagined it differently...
Nevertheless, we still have hope, confidence and positive thoughts. And no one can say how many people have sought refuge in this very fragrance and have enjoyed the 72 years that the fragrance has been on the market.
Here I can't give anything else but the full score for this soul scent.

And with many positive thoughts I wish all dear sniffers the very best! May we survive this nightmare as quickly as possible and without major injuries.

Thanks for reading.

Dalida was here
C'était le temps des fleurs
On ignorait la peur
Les lendemains avaient un goût de miel
Ton bras prenait mon bras
Ta voix suivait ma voix
On était jeunes et l'on croyait au ciel !

Atemporal. Immortal. Beautiful. This scent has a haunting voice.
Comforter for adults
So I did it - chose this scent as my signature scent. After all, it has accompanied me longer than any other fragrance.
Originally my mother looked for it for me (!) and over the years it became my everyday scent. That was still in the 80s and 90s, I wasn't constantly looking for that. Or yes, searching, but never satisfied. It just fit.
The scent was so interwoven with me that I always felt safe with it. Even in phases of tendezieller loneliness (long business trips, you don't know a soul, sitting alone at the airport etc) I only had to wrap myself in L'air du temps and felt completely at home - others have their cuddly toy for that.
At the same time it is nothing less than a cuddly scent, no, it is timeless and elegant. Flowery yes, normally I don't like it at all, but here it is a sea of flowers with elegant noble blossoms. Nothing intrusive, nothing too sweet.
I find the EdP even more elegant than the EdT.

A classic and, quite wrongly, sometimes downright bartered away, but all the better to make bargains.
For me one of the best and most timeless fragrances.

Bipolar carnation
The opening is very strong with carnation and cloves and it smells very synthetic to me. I was amost scared off and wondered how this can be named 'l'Air du Temps'.

All I had to do is wait. The strong irritating scents mellow in to a warm powdery, yet oddly, fresh scent. I can feel some sweet flowers and some soft spices. The whole mixture is in fact cozy, but unusual. It lives up to its name, l'Air du Temps.

I still don't like the opening. However, the drydown is lovely enough to encouraging me to wear it again and again. Who knows? I might actually love it after going through my mini.

Originally written in 2013

She bores me to tears
I own it, I like it, but I don't love it. So I do not quite get what all the rave is about. However, I catch myself wearing her quite a bit, because she is so uncomplicated. Fits to almost any surrounding and occasion, which is why she is my "I am too lazy to put any thought into what to wear, so let's grab for this" kind of frag. Maybe she doesn't quite get the respect from me that she deserves, because not every fragrance has to make a big statement or be as flamboyant as I perceive myself. So she has her place in my drawer, and that I use her so much must be a positive indicator after all. I like her way better than White Shoulders, which is my other fragrance that I wear when I do not want to think about what to wear, right after a shower, basically just to prolong the feeling of freshness and cleanness, when I have no intention to go anywhere. At least L'air du Temps is an upgrade in so far as I enjoy wearing her in public, but usually when I do not want to be noticed, but rather want to blend right in with no fuzz. Sorry if I offend so many lovers of this scent, but she really bores me to tears.

Still a beautiful classic
Bear with me a moment; I have a story to tell. (I have a point, I promise.) For Christmas, I received a gift card to Walmart. I must have browsed the aisles 10 times during January, looking for something to buy. In early February, I was looking at the perfume section, and I saw L'Air du Temps EDT on the shelf (the one in the plain tubular white bottle). It was around $27, but I'd been looking to try it, and I had this gift card, so I bought it. That night at home, I sprayed it on, and it was like a huge puff of acrid yuck! I couldn't believe this was considered a classic! And yet, there was something just under the surface that was nice. A hint, but it was there.

The next morning before work, I decided to give it a real daytime chance, so I sprayed it on my wrists. All day I smelled my wrists, and it was loud! Acrid and ammoniac, like a baby sitting in her wet diaper for too long. It gave me a headache, but there was still a hint of something really nice-smelling under that urine funk.

A few days later, I'm in Macy's, and I see the beautiful glass bottle EDT with the doves on the cap, and I decide to see if a higher price makes a difference on the quality. The bottom of this bottle said "Made in France." I thought that was odd because my little plain bottle from Walmart said "Made in Spain." I sprayed it on, and it was very nice. Very, VERY nice! Not at all like urine. It bloomed beautifully on my skin, and I could see why this is considered a classic. It rather reminds me of the Wind Song my mother used to wear when I was a child, though perhaps a bit more tender and mild.

I went straight home and ordered L'Air du Temps Eau de Parfum (after verifying that it is made in France!) and Ricci Ricci. They came the other day, and I'm delighted to report that the L'Air du Temps EDP is fantastic! It's quite strong, but still fresh. The florals and the sandalwood really bloom well together, and there is no ammonia blast! This scent lasts amazingly long--9+ hours! Sillage is good; higher than normal. My daughter (who is 12) thought it was "an old lady perfume," but I disagree. It does smell classic and classy, but I feel it is just as modern as when it first released in the 1940's. It lacks the fruity-sweet smell of current perfumery trends, so if that is what you seek, you will not find it in L'Air du Temps.

I cannot speak to reformulations, as I have only smelled a new one. However, here it is: We are finally to the point of all this!!! The point is to seek out a bottle of L'Air du Temps which is made in France, not Spain! And $27 for that stinker at Walmart was not all that cheap either. I still snagged a larger EDP online for less than that.

Aug. 1, 2017 EDIT: I wore this one today, and it does not do well in the heat. It is overwhelming! All day I've had this tightening around my head, it's growing and growing. There's a note in here that is just too much in the heat; it makes my head twinge! This is a perfume for cold weather evenings, in my opinion. I still like it, just not for warm weather.

Bcars10Bcars10 4 years ago
Really powerful juice, mostly only suitable for an evening out; I'd never wear this into a boardroom! Classic and classy.

by LeMiKo
by Arlufkin
by Turmfalke
by Turmfalke

Popular Nina Ricci

Signoricci 1 (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps (Parfum) by Nina Ricci Phileas (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci Ricci-Club (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci Farouche (Parfum) by Nina Ricci Les Belles de Nina - Nina (2006) by Nina Ricci Nina (1987) (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci Deci Delà (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci Ricci Ricci by Nina Ricci L'Extase Rose Absolue by Nina Ricci Signoricci 2 by Nina Ricci Délice d'Épices / Spicy Delight by Nina Ricci Liberté Acidulée / Liberty Fizz by Nina Ricci Belle de Minuit by Nina Ricci Premier Jour by Nina Ricci Love In Paris by Nina Ricci Mémoire d'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci Les Belles de Nina - Nina L'Eau by Nina Ricci Farouche (Eau de Parfum) by Nina Ricci