L'Air du Temps (1948)Eau de Parfum

L'Air du Temps (Eau de Parfum) by Nina Ricci
Bottle Design Marc Lalique

L'Air du Temps (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Nina Ricci for women and was released in 1948. The scent is floral-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Francis Fabron

Submitted by WiB, last update on 01.04.2020.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume L'Air du Temps (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci, which differs in concentration.

10.0 8.0 8.0 7.5/10

Dalida was here
C'était le temps des fleurs
On ignorait la peur
Les lendemains avaient un goût de miel
Ton bras prenait mon bras
Ta voix suivait ma voix
On était jeunes et l'on croyait au ciel !

Atemporal. Immortal. Beautiful. This scent has a haunting voice.

Comforter for adults
So I did it - chose this scent as my signature scent. After all, it has accompanied me longer than any other fragrance.
Originally my mother looked for it for me (!) and over the years it became my everyday scent. That was still in the 80s and 90s, I wasn't constantly looking for that. Or yes, searching, but never satisfied. It just fit.
The scent was so interwoven with me that I always felt safe with it. Even in phases of tendezieller loneliness (long business trips, you don't know a soul, sitting alone at the airport etc) I only had to wrap myself in L'air du temps and felt completely at home - others have their cuddly toy for that.
At the same time it is nothing less than a cuddly scent, no, it is timeless and elegant. Flowery yes, normally I don't like it at all, but here it is a sea of flowers with elegant noble blossoms. Nothing intrusive, nothing too sweet.
I find the EdP even more elegant than the EdT.

A classic and, quite wrongly, sometimes downright bartered away, but all the better to make bargains.
For me one of the best and most timeless fragrances.
10.0 7.0 8.0 7.0/10

Bipolar carnation
The opening is very strong with carnation and cloves and it smells very synthetic to me. I was amost scared off and wondered how this can be named 'l'Air du Temps'.

All I had to do is wait. The strong irritating scents mellow in to a warm powdery, yet oddly, fresh scent. I can feel some sweet flowers and some soft spices. The whole mixture is in fact cozy, but unusual. It lives up to its name, l'Air du Temps.

I still don't like the opening. However, the drydown is lovely enough to encouraging me to wear it again and again. Who knows? I might actually love it after going through my mini.

Originally written in 2013

She bores me to tears
I own it, I like it, but I don't love it. So I do not quite get what all the rave is about. However, I catch myself wearing her quite a bit, because she is so uncomplicated. Fits to almost any surrounding and occasion, which is why she is my "I am too lazy to put any thought into what to wear, so let's grab for this" kind of frag. Maybe she doesn't quite get the respect from me that she deserves, because not every fragrance has to make a big statement or be as flamboyant as I perceive myself. So she has her place in my drawer, and that I use her so much must be a positive indicator after all. I like her way better than White Shoulders, which is my other fragrance that I wear when I do not want to think about what to wear, right after a shower, basically just to prolong the feeling of freshness and cleanness, when I have no intention to go anywhere. At least L'air du Temps is an upgrade in so far as I enjoy wearing her in public, but usually when I do not want to be noticed, but rather want to blend right in with no fuzz. Sorry if I offend so many lovers of this scent, but she really bores me to tears.
10.0 10.0 10.0 6.5/10

Still a beautiful classic
Bear with me a moment; I have a story to tell. (I have a point, I promise.) For Christmas, I received a gift card to Walmart. I must have browsed the aisles 10 times during January, looking for something to buy. In early February, I was looking at the perfume section, and I saw L'Air du Temps EDT on the shelf (the one in the plain tubular white bottle). It was around $27, but I'd been looking to try it, and I had this gift card, so I bought it. That night at home, I sprayed it on, and it was like a huge puff of acrid yuck! I couldn't believe this was considered a classic! And yet, there was something just under the surface that was nice. A hint, but it was there.

The next morning before work, I decided to give it a real daytime chance, so I sprayed it on my wrists. All day I smelled my wrists, and it was loud! Acrid and ammoniac, like a baby sitting in her wet diaper for too long. It gave me a headache, but there was still a hint of something really nice-smelling under that urine funk.

A few days later, I'm in Macy's, and I see the beautiful glass bottle EDT with the doves on the cap, and I decide to see if a higher price makes a difference on the quality. The bottom of this bottle said "Made in France." I thought that was odd because my little plain bottle from Walmart said "Made in Spain." I sprayed it on, and it was very nice. Very, VERY nice! Not at all like urine. It bloomed beautifully on my skin, and I could see why this is considered a classic. It rather reminds me of the Wind Song my mother used to wear when I was a child, though perhaps a bit more tender and mild.

I went straight home and ordered L'Air du Temps Eau de Parfum (after verifying that it is made in France!) and Ricci Ricci. They came the other day, and I'm delighted to report that the L'Air du Temps EDP is fantastic! It's quite strong, but still fresh. The florals and the sandalwood really bloom well together, and there is no ammonia blast! This scent lasts amazingly long--9+ hours! Sillage is good; higher than normal. My daughter (who is 12) thought it was "an old lady perfume," but I disagree. It does smell classic and classy, but I feel it is just as modern as when it first released in the 1940's. It lacks the fruity-sweet smell of current perfumery trends, so if that is what you seek, you will not find it in L'Air du Temps.

I cannot speak to reformulations, as I have only smelled a new one. However, here it is: We are finally to the point of all this!!! The point is to seek out a bottle of L'Air du Temps which is made in France, not Spain! And $27 for that stinker at Walmart was not all that cheap either. I still snagged a larger EDP online for less than that.

Aug. 1, 2017 EDIT: I wore this one today, and it does not do well in the heat. It is overwhelming! All day I've had this tightening around my head, it's growing and growing. There's a note in here that is just too much in the heat; it makes my head twinge! This is a perfume for cold weather evenings, in my opinion. I still like it, just not for warm weather.

Bcars10 3 years ago
Really powerful juice, mostly only suitable for an evening out; I'd never wear this into a boardroom! Classic and classy.+1

by LeMiKo
by MissGuerlain
by Arlufkin
by Arlufkin

Popular Nina Ricci

L'Air du Temps (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps (Parfum) by Nina Ricci Phileas (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci Signoricci 1 (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci Farouche (Parfum) by Nina Ricci Nina (1987) (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci Ricci-Club (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci Les Belles de Nina - Nina (2006) by Nina Ricci Deci Delà (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci Ricci Ricci by Nina Ricci Délice d'Épices / Spicy Delight by Nina Ricci Les Belles de Nina - Nina L'Eau by Nina Ricci Liberté Acidulée / Liberty Fizz by Nina Ricci Signoricci 2 by Nina Ricci Belle de Minuit by Nina Ricci Fleur de Fleurs (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci Farouche (Eau de Toilette) by Nina Ricci Premier Jour by Nina Ricci Love In Paris by Nina Ricci L'Extase by Nina Ricci