07 Tanoke (2011)

07 Tanoke by Odin New York

07 Tanoke is a popular perfume by Odin New York for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is woody-spicy. It is still in production.

Corinne Cachen

Top Notes Top NotesBitter orange, Ginger, Black pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesGaiac wood, Nutmeg, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesSequoia, Musk, Patchouli

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 05.05.2019

Tasty accident
Do you know that when you walk through the forest in midsummer and sometimes it suddenly smells as if someone was cooking jam between the trees?
Yep, that's how 07 Tanoke smells when the first test spray accidentally lands in the raspberry tea. Of course I was curious and drank the tea anyway - and I shouldn't regret it! If you are decadent enough and want to add a noble taste of resinous coniferous wood to your food and drinks, I recommend a splash of 07!
8.0 7.0 7.0 10.0/10

Adashi7
Evergreen Forest Well After A Rain.
I get a distinct incense character right from the beginning, and not the more perfumy incenses. More like those dark black sandalwood incense sticks, the kind you’d smell at a Far Eastern temple. Woodsy, smoky, resinous – yes. A touch of a brighter scent in there too. Some say lemon or orange, comes across to me as a fresh wood with the pitch still intact to me, maybe pine. Not much of a warm weather scent, better as a cool spring, autumn, or (somewhat) winter. And maybe suited for damp or overcast weather, too.
Sillage is reasonable but not too overbearing, and I found the longevity moderate.
10.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

Monodend II
Now I won't tell you a long story about how I found the scent. Was a blind buy after reading Meggi's commentary. "Monodend," it said. Somehow I realized I had to have the scent. I'm not just into scents. I also think the whole drum drum is great: the bottles, the colours, the packaging. I don't want Chichi. It's the coherent whole that appeals to me. The bottle on the photo immediately appealed to me in its minimalist way. It also fits "Monodend".
Tanoke" was already a party for me to unpack. Not a simple cardboard box, but a slipcase, like a valuable book. In the slipcase, embedded in a thick foam block, lay the bottle. Oh, great. The imprint on the slipcase, the imprint on the bottle, the small raven, the bottle itself, everything is so harmonious, thoughtful, concentrated. Great.
That was the most expensive fragrance I ever bought. If a fragrance can be worth so much, I asked myself and fed the hedgehog in my pocket. Can a fragrance be so special that I spend so much money just trying it out? My first niche scent. A brand I had never heard of before.
And then I tried the scent. A sprayer "Tanoke" through the air on my arm. At this moment, all the great fragrances I've known until now have lost their shine at least for this one moment. The last building block fell into place, now everything made even more sense. The name, the raven, the color. In my head played a lost melody from "Vertigo" and I was in the scene where the wonderful Kim Novak and James Stewart were walking in the empty Sequoienwald between the tree columns. That's how it smelled there. Old incense, the air is a little cool. And something blooms that blends in fruitfully. The forest rises, so old, so vast. Whole ages have wandered over him and he has always remained the same, has slowly spread only over centuries. And Tanoke is the oldest of them all, four thousand years old. Sometimes during thunderstorms near the coast, lightning strikes the tall trees. Burning branches fall to the ground. A small forest fire develops. The trees themselves are hardly affected by the flames. But in the blazing heat of the fire, which is often still fanned by the wind from the ocean, cones and needles dropped on the ground burn. The fire then goes out and in the next few years new needles will be accumulated layer by layer. Thus, even years after the fire, the scent of incense is preserved in the cool air under the tall trees.
Tanoke, the oldest of the sequoias, cannot be measured by human standards. The biggest, the heaviest creature on this planet, and the oldest. He already stretched his needles into the sky, there have been no gods yet. Tanoke is archaic.
"Tanoke" is a masterpiece and a milestone. "Tanoke" is the oldest living forest scent.

To get an impression of the very special atmosphere that I associate with "Tanoke", I recommend a milestone in the film music of Bernard Herrmann: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spx0NthRoVc
If you don't want to smell, at least hear!
I thank Meggi for his comment.
6.0 8.0 9.0 8.5/10

Very impressive
This is a beauty, it just seems so well balanced, to me it smells of lemon, pine and incense which strangely doesn't match up to the fragrance notes apart from the Frankincense
This fragrance is quite linear which i would consider an art in it self to be able balance the notes, considering the different evaporation rates from the ingredients, the incense does get a little stronger after about 8-9 hrs
i would also agree with other reviewer about a peaceful and calming element, and i would add a warm and reminiscing quality
If you like the Amouage range you will probably like this.
7.5 5.0 7.5 7.0/10

07 TANOKE by Odin New York
07 Tanoke is the newest in a line of fragrances from Eddy Chai and Paul Birardi of Odin New York. The inspiration for their latest introduction is the Northern California seaside. Resinous air meets warm and woodsy in this lush base of redwood, guaiac wood, patchouli and black musk. Light and slightly spicy top notes merge with a smoky wood heart. It is fresh pine lingering in an interestingly vague smokiness. I found this fragrance very satisfying and peaceful, like a walk in the forest. There is something quite calming about 07 Tanoke. I have sampled all of Odin's fragrances, and unfortunately, I didn't find much merit in this line until now. The remainder of this collection was a bit pedestrian and unmemorable.

I would definitely recommend giving 07 Tanoke by Odin a whirl, it is well worth sampling. 07 Tanoke was selected for W Magazine's "Top 10 Indie Fragraces".

by K1
by Oloroso
by Zauber600
by Zauber600

Popular Odin New York

07 Tanoke by Odin New York 10 Roam by Odin New York 01 Sunda / 01 Nomad by Odin New York 11 Semma by Odin New York 03 Century by Odin New York 04 Petrana by Odin New York 02 Owari by Odin New York 06 Amanu by Odin New York 09 (Posala) by Odin New York 08 Seylon by Odin New York 00 Auriel by Odin New York 12 Lacha by Odin New York Vert Reseda by Odin New York Milieu Rosa by Odin New York Efflora by Odin New York