Autoportrait (2011)

Autoportrait by Olfactive Studio
Bottle Design: Camille Toupet

Autoportrait is a popular perfume by Olfactive Studio for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is woody-spicy. It is still in production.

Nathalie Lorson

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Elemi resin
Heart Notes Heart NotesBenzoin, Musk, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 17.08.2019

6.0 8.0 9.0/10

Count Alexander von Faber-Castell
Let's just start with my coming out! I love stationery stores! So, now it's out. Wherever I find one, it draws me in magnetically. I don't need anything. I also don't buy anything. This colourful world full of different things fascinates me. And to make the transition, it smells lovely in you. So many different scents from plastic toys to modelling clay to a for me irresistible scent. Wood in all variants, pencils!

I stumbled across Autoportrait from Olfactive Studio when I bought the incredibly beautiful Chambre Noir in the form of a rehearsal. It begins balsamic green, slightly sweet like a walk in a damp forest. Within the first ten minutes it gets woodier. And then the object of desire comes into the limelight. A delicate - nutty, woody pencil note that makes this fragrance so irresistible for me. Of course, it's a woody note that makes my brain think it's a pencil. But when you read the other autoportrait reports, I'm not alone. Not much happens later, for which I'm grateful, of course. It stays woody pleasant. Pencil!

The shelf life is good and the Sillage is not too loud, but not too close to the body either. The bottles are of beautiful simplicity.

The series was created to transform photographic impressions into scents. Or the other way round This was very beautifully converted, since each bottle a copy of the picture is enclosed and also smaller details are thoughtfully integrated. For example, the spray head is similar to a scale found on lenses. Brain instead of Swarovski.

So there should be similarly knitted people among you who suffer from the ominous stationery syndrome (suffering is the wrong expression!) or just for lovers of woody scents. Try it out. It convinced me completely.
Your Jakobolino
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Augusto
Wood-only scent under the star tent
Wood with a slight sweetness and a little bit of citrus bergamot. AugustAs taste!
A sensual pleasure, located somewhere between a flirtatious mood and tingling culinary delights.
The wood gives a devotional mood in which one could only rise too well.
The soon to be added incense results in an annulment away from the only material-physical pleasure and complements a spiritualized moment. I would never have thought that you could say so much about a solid wood fragrance without any floral at all; and it stays very close and natural.

Warm, sunlit wood, resinous streaks. It smells modern, not at all like old-timer wood, the cedar brings a slender, dry-bright impact, which helps to save the benzoin from drowning in the feel-good cosiness. That was close.
So about the first quarter or half hour and the basic mood of Autoportrait.

Then there is a slight hint of chlorine, something bitter adds a very charming dehydration of the initial benzoic sweetness. After a few hours only a hint of salty caramel remains on the skin. At the same time, a light green veil of bergamot continues to permeate the scent, which enters the void of blossoms. The fragrance also works with omissions and presentiments that create a kind of pleasurable longing. But only if you immerse yourself in the scent.

The fragrance touches something on the inside, it seems quite introverted and sensual. Wood always goes well with the man, or our male sides, but this scent is so soft, it is also very effective on the female side and in a positive sense (not only) homey.
Three stars among the wood-only fragrances. Or a wood-only scent under the starry tent.
10.0 9.0 10.0 1.0/10

Chemical Soup
I was soooo looking forward to trying this! I saw elemi as a note, and I love elemi. This smelled like chemical wood mixed with chemical pepper. It was awful! And it was tenacious. I washed twice and could still smell the chemicals wafting up to my nose. Smelled like Iso E Super and ambroxan. Why do people like stuff like this? Headache-inducing and smells cheap. Big miss.
6.0 7.0 9.0/10

Like the Declaration of a Noble Man
Autoportrait begins a note of chilled smoke; it is serious and weighty, and befits the name. Very manly, authoritative, powerful, like the smell of wood in the houses of old money. About fifteen minutes in, there’s a shy floral that plays peek-a-boo with it, but the overall feel is one of chilled, smoky vetiver. Over time, it becomes a pepper-laced vetiver, but even as it dwindles, it remains forceful, rugged, and masculine. Its projection falls off rapidly after hour three or so, and there is no real development. It lasts at least six hours, and I expect it would last even longer with a spray as opposed to a dab. This scent is like a declaration of a noble man, yet it does not wear you as Yatagan does. Recommended.
7.5 10.0 10.0 7.0/10

Brusque manhood
AUTOPORTRAIT is my favourite fragrance from Olfactive Studio.
Although it is almost too manly for women, I like to wear it, but it must be donned very carefully.

So, a self-portrait - I do not know, who shows himself when Nathalie Lorson is staring in the mirror at the beginning of a normal day, but she surely must have scary mornings!

AUTOPORTRAIT is strong, woody, spicy, smoky and sweet, I could compare it to a very rude FAHRENHEIT, without Fahrenheit's creamy milky-ness. Sillage: 100%, even if you wear it under your clothes, it will find the way to your nose. Longevity: 100%, lasts even 10 hours, even if you are begging him to not do so.
7.5 7.5 5.0/10

The base of a hundred perfumes
Unfortunately my first foray into the creations of Olfactive Studio was AUTOPORTRAIT, which features a base in near ubiquity these days. Most of what I smell smacks of what appears to be an aromachemical mixture (ambroxan + ? + iso-E-super) which someone at the big chemical companies has been successfully selling by the ton to perfumers at every stratum. It is very strong and overpowers all of the other notes present (here, incense).

I may be hyperosmic to this base, but the truth is that it makes all of the fragrances smell very similar to one another by the drydown. They may open up a bit differently, but the persistent quality is found in this base.

As a result, when I donned AUTOPORTRAIT, after only a few moments I was thinking of several recent masculine launches from both designer and niche houses, perhaps the closest of which was Balmain CARBONE. I'm sure that this smells good to people who have not yet become jaded by the scent, but it does not appeal very much to me.

by Grazia