Autoportrait (2011)

Autoportrait by Olfactive Studio
Bottle Design Camille Toupet

Autoportrait is a popular perfume by Olfactive Studio for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is woody-spicy. It is still in production.

Nathalie Lorson

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Elemi resin
Heart Notes Heart NotesBenzoin, Musk, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 15.06.2020.

DonJuanDeCat
This is not a photo of a car!
Hey hey you stinkers! I meant you smelly guys How you guys doing? You can guess it already, I'm about to introduce a new scent here. Well, the fragrance itself is not new, it's already nine years old, so I meant that I will write a new comment here :)

This time it is about autoportrait of Olfactive Studio. Hmm... Autoportrait Kind of a weird name It sounds like taking pictures of cars, which of course my brother is not allowed to hear, because he is totally car crazy. If he got wind of the term "car portrait", he would immediately start talking to me again about the fact that the only cars worthy of being photographed are all models of Toyota. For him, there is nothing better than Toyota, especially the MR2 (especially the 80s and 90s models, which admittedly also look great!) and Toyota Supra, and laugh at me again, because as a beginner car I once found the Ford Puma really great,... and no, I didn't like it because it was named after a big cat :D
(And yet I never owned a Ford Puma *sigh* ... my first cars were more a Fiat Cinquecento, an old Peugeot 105 and an Opel Vectra A after a facelift... :DD).

Be that as it may, autoportrait actually means self-portrait, which pretty much all painters have painted at one time or another (more or less embellished probably...). For the younger ones among you: If you don't know what a self-portrait is, well,... you could also equate it with a selfie today, but back then it was much more difficult for painters to stand on a cliff and paint themselves in front of a mountain landscape or a canyon... :D

Anyway, now the scent is added, whatever a self-portrait should smell like... hopefully not like turpentine or something like that... :DD

The smell:
The fragrance starts off quite nicely with spicy notes like black pepper (which is good to smell but not pungent), woody scents as well as sweet notes that remind a bit of amber. The pepper, or a scent that seemed like pepper to me, disappears again in just a few minutes, but the spiciness remains and it turns out that these were probably just the woody notes from the beginning. The resins like frankincense and benzoin (although in my opinion, you can't always separate the resins) give the fragrance a slightly smoky and airy feel, as well as a gentle aura.
A little later the resins become stronger and you can see that the sweet scents are more of the benzoin and are therefore not amber, even though it seemed that way at first. Only a little later the sweetness of musk comes over and smells, well, like musk smells, so pretty good (unless you don't like musk at all).
Again later the scent is the same as before. Mostly you smell the resins, which are soft and smooth with a nice sweetness and there is still another sweetness from the musk. The initial woody notes are now a bit more intense, so you can now also recognize the distinctive scent of cedar wood very well. Only oakmoss and vetiver I couldn't smell out, but I don't need to, because I find the scent very successful as I perceive it.

The Sillage and the durability:
The sillage is okay, you are immediately enveloped in a small cloud of scent, which, however, diminishes quite quickly, but the scent is at least from close up for a short while. For going out and so it is too weak. The durability is rather moderate, so that after about five hours the scent can only be smelled very weakly on the skin.

The bottle! The bottle is rectangular with rounded edges, is a bit flat and has a label on the front that looks like a masking tape, which I find very original. On the neck of the flacon you can see the brand name and on top of it there is a cylindrical cap. All in all a bit simple, but okay.

Conclusion:
Soo, first of all: The fragrance does not match the name at all. But honestly: How should a self-portrait smell? Of colours? Of a dusty studio? Like... I don't know Do you tell me how a self-portrait could smell or what scents you associate with it! Well, the connection to certain scents is certainly there with some of them, for example, if you have worked in a studio or been in it and depending on the room and place you have perceived various scents, and I'm not only talking about the colours, but also about the room itself. A woody room, for example, a little dusty perhaps, plus woody scents, if you live near a forest, have opened the window of your studio and breathe in the morning forest air, while a curious squirrel steals your brushes or something... :D
Nah, I just meant what a self-portrait would smell like... well, it's a bit difficult, isn't it?

Anyway, it smells really, really nice in here. It smells soft, resinous-sweet and is very pleasant in the nose. Despite scents like frankincense, it is not too intense, so that it could be used in autumn and winter, and probably also on not too hot spring days, especially at work, as it will certainly not disturb anybody. For going out it could be a good scent, but it has a weak charisma, so that hardly anyone would notice it.

For a test I would highly recommend the fragrance, especially if you like resinous scents with woody notes. Well, I guess that brings me back to the end of the day. So I wish you all a nice evening, take care and see you :)
Count Alexander von Faber-Castell
Let's just start with my coming out! I love stationery stores! So, now it's out. Wherever I find one, it draws me in magnetically. I don't need anything. I also don't buy anything. This colourful world full of different things fascinates me. And to make the transition, it smells lovely in you. So many different scents from plastic toys to modelling clay to a for me irresistible scent. Wood in all variants, pencils!

I stumbled across Autoportrait from Olfactive Studio when I bought the incredibly beautiful Chambre Noir in the form of a rehearsal. It begins balsamic green, slightly sweet like a walk in a damp forest. Within the first ten minutes it gets woodier. And then the object of desire comes into the limelight. A delicate - nutty, woody pencil note that makes this fragrance so irresistible for me. Of course, it's a woody note that makes my brain think it's a pencil. But when you read the other autoportrait reports, I'm not alone. Not much happens later, for which I'm grateful, of course. It stays woody pleasant. Pencil!

The shelf life is good and the Sillage is not too loud, but not too close to the body either. The bottles are of beautiful simplicity.

The series was created to transform photographic impressions into scents. Or the other way round This was very beautifully converted, since each bottle a copy of the picture is enclosed and also smaller details are thoughtfully integrated. For example, the spray head is similar to a scale found on lenses. Brain instead of Swarovski.

So there should be similarly knitted people among you who suffer from the ominous stationery syndrome (suffering is the wrong expression!) or just for lovers of woody scents. Try it out. It convinced me completely.
Your Jakobolino
Augusto
Wood-only scent under the star tent
Wood with a slight sweetness and a little bit of citrus bergamot. AugustAs taste!
A sensual pleasure, located somewhere between a flirtatious mood and tingling culinary delights.
The wood gives a devotional mood in which one could only rise too well.
The soon to be added incense results in an annulment away from the only material-physical pleasure and complements a spiritualized moment. I would never have thought that you could say so much about a solid wood fragrance without any floral at all; and it stays very close and natural.

Warm, sunlit wood, resinous streaks. It smells modern, not at all like old-timer wood, the cedar brings a slender, dry-bright impact, which helps to save the benzoin from drowning in the feel-good cosiness. That was close.
So about the first quarter or half hour and the basic mood of Autoportrait.

Then there is a slight hint of chlorine, something bitter adds a very charming dehydration of the initial benzoic sweetness. After a few hours only a hint of salty caramel remains on the skin. At the same time, a light green veil of bergamot continues to permeate the scent, which enters the void of blossoms. The fragrance also works with omissions and presentiments that create a kind of pleasurable longing. But only if you immerse yourself in the scent.

The fragrance touches something on the inside, it seems quite introverted and sensual. Wood always goes well with the man, or our male sides, but this scent is so soft, it is also very effective on the female side and in a positive sense (not only) homey.
Three stars among the wood-only fragrances. Or a wood-only scent under the starry tent.

Chemical Soup
I was soooo looking forward to trying this! I saw elemi as a note, and I love elemi. This smelled like chemical wood mixed with chemical pepper. It was awful! And it was tenacious. I washed twice and could still smell the chemicals wafting up to my nose. Smelled like Iso E Super and ambroxan. Why do people like stuff like this? Headache-inducing and smells cheap. Big miss.

Like the Declaration of a Noble Man
Autoportrait begins a note of chilled smoke; it is serious and weighty, and befits the name. Very manly, authoritative, powerful, like the smell of wood in the houses of old money. About fifteen minutes in, there’s a shy floral that plays peek-a-boo with it, but the overall feel is one of chilled, smoky vetiver. Over time, it becomes a pepper-laced vetiver, but even as it dwindles, it remains forceful, rugged, and masculine. Its projection falls off rapidly after hour three or so, and there is no real development. It lasts at least six hours, and I expect it would last even longer with a spray as opposed to a dab. This scent is like a declaration of a noble man, yet it does not wear you as Yatagan does. Recommended.

Brusque manhood
AUTOPORTRAIT is my favourite fragrance from Olfactive Studio.
Although it is almost too manly for women, I like to wear it, but it must be donned very carefully.

So, a self-portrait - I do not know, who shows himself when Nathalie Lorson is staring in the mirror at the beginning of a normal day, but she surely must have scary mornings!

AUTOPORTRAIT is strong, woody, spicy, smoky and sweet, I could compare it to a very rude FAHRENHEIT, without Fahrenheit's creamy milky-ness. Sillage: 100%, even if you wear it under your clothes, it will find the way to your nose. Longevity: 100%, lasts even 10 hours, even if you are begging him to not do so.

The base of a hundred perfumes
Unfortunately my first foray into the creations of Olfactive Studio was AUTOPORTRAIT, which features a base in near ubiquity these days. Most of what I smell smacks of what appears to be an aromachemical mixture (ambroxan + ? + iso-E-super) which someone at the big chemical companies has been successfully selling by the ton to perfumers at every stratum. It is very strong and overpowers all of the other notes present (here, incense).

I may be hyperosmic to this base, but the truth is that it makes all of the fragrances smell very similar to one another by the drydown. They may open up a bit differently, but the persistent quality is found in this base.

As a result, when I donned AUTOPORTRAIT, after only a few moments I was thinking of several recent masculine launches from both designer and niche houses, perhaps the closest of which was Balmain CARBONE. I'm sure that this smells good to people who have not yet become jaded by the scent, but it does not appeal very much to me.

by Grazia
by Chnokfir
by Gumschel
by Gumschel

Popular Olfactive Studio

Chambre Noire by Olfactive Studio Woody Mood by Olfactive Studio Lumière Blanche by Olfactive Studio Ombre Indigo / Olfactive Studio by Olfactive Studio Still Life by Olfactive Studio Panorama by Olfactive Studio Flash Back in New York by Olfactive Studio Still Life in Rio by Olfactive Studio Flash Back by Olfactive Studio Vanilla Shot by Olfactive Studio Close Up by Olfactive Studio Chypre Shot by Olfactive Studio Leather Shot by Olfactive Studio Selfie by Olfactive Studio