Chambre Noire (2011)

Chambre Noire by Olfactive Studio
Bottle Design Camille Toupet

Chambre Noire is a popular perfume by Olfactive Studio for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is leathery-woody. It is still in production.

Dorothée Piot

Top Notes Top NotesPeruvian pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Papyrus, Plum, Violet, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 12.09.2019.

8.0 7.0 8.0 7.5/10

Minigolf
Dusty parlors and magical chambers.
When I sometimes see films that play at the end of the 19th century, at the beginning of the 20th century, the furnishings of the rooms can often be seen.
High ceilings, windows with heavy curtains, dark, heavy furniture, thick on the parquet floor, carpets with fringes, whose patterns are taken up again by the wallpaper on the walls and continued.
Somewhere in the basement, a grandfather clock beats the hours. Everything is bathed in slightly diffuse light, and when the sun's rays penetrate the window panes, you can see dust particles dancing in them. First electric lighting does not want to illuminate the room completely in darkness, as if one fears to discover flaws in an object of interior. Or, even conceivably, as if you don't want the "heaviness" of the whole to appear too vivid and real, the lamps would shine brighter.
I imagine that there are scents in the air that are similar to the atmosphere of such spaces. Covered, slightly dusty, wood penetrations, velvety smoky, earth-coloured, leather penetrations, with hints of fruit and slightly melancholic.
A fragrance that "Chambre Noire" could definitely fulfill, so that the "picture" is also right.
Such rooms often included adjoining rooms, so-called small chambers, in which one kept all kinds of things that would otherwise spoil the impression of a tidy "good room". Broom rooms, where cleaning things were stored, clothes rooms, where clothes were hung, which were not used so often during the season, pantries, where fruit, flour and all kinds of other things were stored for food preparation.
And who knows how many other chambers for various purposes.
But many had one thing in common: Often they were "magically" attractive, because the view inside was hidden by locked doors, and often "uncanny" because one was convinced that there was "lurking" something in them when they were opened or entered without permission.
Also there I suspect smells which complemented those of the parlours.
After several spices, if it was a pantry, after the leather of the coats and shoes that hung inside.
Sometimes after "cellar" when their usefulness served different purposes. and.... and-- and...everything was full of subtle secrets, full of slightly dusty magic, memories of generations who lived there over time.
And many scents, which were also intricate, manifold and mysterious.......
8.0 8.0 8.0 7.5/10

Interesting
Chambre Noire is a woody oriental fragrance along the lines of Chanel's Egoiste! No it does not smell like Egoiste, but it floats along that realm.

It opens up with prune/plum with leather & incense! It stays that way for a while with the prune/plum eventually getting bumped in the back but still present. The leather approaches making this scent somewhat dry giving the fact that the sandalwood note is there. It last 8 hours or so on my skin with medium projection. For use in cold weather as it does well.

This is not a masterpiece, but it is good. I am not crazy about the fruit note as you can find better fragrances who use that note much better such as Montale's Dark Purple.
8.0 6.0 6.0 9.0/10

dusty-sour- leather
Beside Ombre, Chambre Noire is my favorite reference of Olfactive studio house. The first impression of this perfume is undeniable, where it introduces a very unique scent. However, after minutes pass a way, the perfume becomes a very ordinary one showing no vessel of that great opening.
The perfume opens in a dark spicy-leathery atmosphere reminding an old room, furnished by unique and leathery sofas, woody beds, and crowded book shelves. Unlike many perfumes, the most interesting part of this perfume is the head, where the accord made by papyrus, leather, pepper, leather, and patchouli is so fascinating and mysterious. But, I couldn't find any bold strengths in the heart and the base of the perfume that not only is counted as a niche scent but also does smell very typical like designers perfumes. The perfume has got no good sillage or longevity, is upper medium in it's scent though. However, in wet and humid weather the perfumes shows a complete different characteristic representing a very nice smell in heart and base with a notable longevity.
I tested it in a humid weather where i fell in love with this perfume, but when i came back to my own country and city, which is dry I got another result. So, I highly recommend trying this perfume in places full of humidity where the leathery notes could be expressed in a more dominating way.
As a compliment, I love the vanilla used in this perfume which plays an indispensable role in balancing the scent.
To me Chambre is counted as a respectable dusty-sour- leather showing lesser longevity than most of the leathery based niche perfumes.
5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Woody Violet Dark Leather
Olfactive Studio CHAMBRE NOIRE is my favorite from this house so far (I still have STILL LIFE to test). It seems to change a lot depending on--actually, I'm not sure what it depends on! This morning, I thought that this was a sweet woody violet perfume. Right now, having just sprayed on the remains of my 1.2 ml spray vial, I find that the leather is quite dominant, and it is not at all sweet! Some reviewers have identified licorice in the mix (see, Seerose's review, below...) which to my nose is altogether absent. This is nothing like LOLITA LEMPICKA, for example.

Hmmm... I probably need to wear this some more before issuing a verdict. Unfortunately, I have now depleted my modest supply. I do believe that I've experienced CHAMBRE NOIRE at least enough to be able to agree with its advocates--of which there appear to be many--that this is a high-quality perfume. But why was it so sweet before and now it is not? Perhaps only because this afternoon I wore an even sweeter woody violet perfume, Le Labo POUDRE D'ORIENT.

People who are not so much into violet would no doubt prefer this composition to most of the sweeter woody violet and violet-esque perfumes available (including Creed LOVE IN BLACK and Dsquared SHE WOOD and Balenciaga PARIS, BOTTEGA VENETA, among others). This composition, in contrast to those, has a dark almost twangy black leather note rather than a light and smooth suede note.

I see that many people own this perfume, which is very interesting, since it was launched only in 2011. This suggests that the marketing at OLFACTIVE STUDIO is top notch. They certainly do have an excellent sample service, which is why I am able to try these perfumes out, though I've never seem them being sold in any store.

I recommend CHAMBRE NOIRE for testing more to people who like leather and spices and incense than to those who are looking for a woody violet perfume, although this one does also contain those, too. This creation seems clearly unisex to me.
10.0 10.0 7.5/10

Helpful Review
Black liquorice?
To assess this modern scent I consider as very difficult. Though I will try. When I had sprayed it on my wrists tonight my husband complained because of the strong sillage. Which confuses me anyhow. Because he never did before with any parfume I wore. And actually I try a lot. I tried this parfum the first time some weeks ago. As I have noticed I had ment that I did not like it really. And what happened while wearing the Chambre Noire the first time is happening exactly again now.
Usually I am ready to write a review if I imagine a story, an idea, a season, a landscape, a dream.... Or if I have an association. But this scent is so strong for me I only smell and taste it and this is keeping me busy. There is no dark or black room in my mind. There is nothing mysteriously arising in my fantasy. I can't discover any intrinsic secret of this fragance. So I can only write what I am smelling and tasting:
There is something between medicine and mellow, better more fermented fruits. Of course the plums are causing this. Leather is fighting with the soft violet. Insence is fighting with jasmine. Indeed this is a battle of fragrances. The plums already are a little bit smashed and sticky. While the ingredients are fighting they are going to get clinged together in a crumbled peace of black liquorice. But one time again all fragrances are going to win space separately. They are all a little bit exhausted then. And after a little while they are going to start again the battle. Pepper has totally vanished from the battle field meanwhile. Sandal, musk, patchouly, vanilla are fighting brave and constantly one time with the violett-leather-party, then again with the insence-jasmine-party and revers. The plums are glueing now in sticky peaces on every ingredients. Cruelty anyhow, isn'it? But they are only plums, so what? Which will be the winners? No one! At least there is left at the battle field - my skin - a lonely piece of chewing-tobacco with vannilla-plum-flavour. I am afraid I have to take a shower again.

Lillibet 22 months ago
Imagine the smell of a vintage leather suitcase, a cool resinous amber & wood base and a touch of incense. Wear it on a cool autumn day.+5
6.0

by Peet
by Zauber600
by Zauber600

Popular Olfactive Studio

Lumière Blanche by Olfactive Studio Still Life by Olfactive Studio Ombre Indigo / Olfactive Studio by Olfactive Studio Autoportrait by Olfactive Studio Panorama by Olfactive Studio Woody Mood by Olfactive Studio Flash Back by Olfactive Studio Still Life in Rio by Olfactive Studio Close Up by Olfactive Studio Selfie by Olfactive Studio Flash Back in New York by Olfactive Studio Vanilla Shot by Olfactive Studio Chypre Shot by Olfactive Studio Leather Shot by Olfactive Studio