Blackbird by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes

Blackbird is a popular perfume by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is fruity-resinous. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Dr. Ellen Covey

Himalaya blackberry, Dry grass, Leaves, Elemi resin, Cedarwood, Resin, Amber, Fir balsam absolute, Musk

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 08.08.2020.

This perfume was initially created for the Northwest Indie Perfume Circuit hosted by Blackbird.

Birdseed?
Since I have taken all kinds of birds into my heart besides chickens, and since a pair of blackbirds has also rented a place in our garden, which delights us every year with its offspring, I naturally had to test Blackbird.

First of all, this is absolutely not a scent I wanted to wear. It is unbelievably special and certainly not for everyone, but it is so exciting and unique that you should definitely try it once and not only as a bird lover. That is what I find exciting. I can't find such a correct reference to the unfortunately very often endangered forest and garden birds here. But that does not make the scent less interesting.

The first thing you notice about Blackbird is its unspeakably present, sometimes quite natural, sometimes rather synthetic blackberry note. It could also be a blackcurrant, because I can see similarities to Airwaves Cassis and Fanta Cassis, which is so popular in Holland. The first taster I thought "that's how I would have imagined Mr. Wilhelm's Aqaysos after a look at the pyramid of scents", as all commentators spoke of a cool cassis note, which I didn't notice. Yes, this berry is something special and can be pleasing, as in my case, or even repulsive, as it sometimes comes around the corner in a rather artificial way. As Gold has already written, I find it fascinating how one can achieve such a fresh, cool note with such persistence throughout the entire fragrance. This is clearly great perfumer's art.

This fruit is now gradually blended with green, but above all resinous, woody and dark tones. I don't see any patchouli in the listed scents, but this scent also drives me, similar to Palindrome II, not into the green fir forest but rather into a gothic club. I think I can guess leathery tones as well, although I don't find leather among the official notes either.

That is perhaps also the reason why I did not want to carry Blackbird myself. With a forest and nature scent, which also bears the name of a bird, I expect naturalness. The morning freshness of the forest, the evaporating resin and wood tones after rain or in the morning dew. But I don't smell all that here. What reminds me of green-fresh smells, as Gold already wrote, more like a pinimenthol cold bath. And the background is dark and gloomy, which I find quite nice, but I don't really want to smell like that myself. I myself didn't have anybody who wore such scents, but a little bit I see the often stylized, a little older aunt.

Yeah, that's the kind of guy that makes you wonder when you'll get to wear it. Perhaps, contrary to expectations, my blackbird couple will like it in the garden, as the bird food for the summer months often smells a bit like synthetic fruit, while the dried insects come across a bit musty? And already we would have made the reference to the name again.

Many thanks to Chizza for the test possibility. A really unusual scent.
Mr Ams
That's a nice smell. I don't smell blackbird, no, it's a full-grown blackbird With me, he's male. Which makes sense, since it's the male that sings so beautifully He's strong, he's a bit massive. The very highest fine fir tree top on which he sits and his aria is wobbling a little bit under his weight. Also in dignity he is weighty, our singer. In strength, gradually and quietly formed from experience. With me the Blackbird carrier is an older gentleman. One of stature. And of culture. Maybe he plays the clarinet? Or even saxophone. I believe in this older gentleman I would love Blackbird the perfume very much. (Especially with the clarinet.) I also like the smell very much, but I don't think I can transport the power that is inherent in it
In the beginning there is the berry. Clearly! Interestingly, Blackbird becomes a little softer, "sweeter", although not sweet, as the berry gradually recedes. Drops of resin soon steam up to the top of the stage under the evening sun and bathe Mr. Ams' singing intoxicatingly. Almost sacral then. His fir tree is the highest. There are leaves around it, even deeper bushes, even scratchy ones. Wood too. Something is smoky. Elemi-resin makes for a festive occasion. And every now and then, here and there, also later a fruity berry, these are then high notes on the scale. But he sings more down below; he can do that. Cedar, yes, too. Soil. Musk, ... when it gets dark
You see, this scent invites you to dream.
Blackbird or the real Fields of Rubus
Today I fall with the door into the house and tell first of all what Blackbird reminds me of, namely of gray prehistoric times - or rather not so gray with my 33 years - and more precisely of water pipe tobacco. Not generally but explicitly blueberry-mint. The nice thing about blueberry and blackberry is that both are sweet fruits per se, but due to the nature of their acidity they can also be described as sour-tart. This is the type of fruit that I prefer not only in tobacco flavour form. The mint cools down this bitter taste so that it is very pleasing. Still today I have this scent exactly in my nose and enjoy it when I notice it by chance. This is exactly how Blackbird smells to me, he reminds me of it with all his might. I appreciate this aroma very much, this mixture of fruitiness and bitter acidity pleases me. But how does Blackbird go?

The blackberry dominates the whole fragrance, especially in the beginning it is very fruity, with this cool menthol note inherent, which comes from the resins. Blackbird, however, is not cooled down as is the case with other fragrances. One receives this sweet-intensive and at the same time sour note of blackberry, which is represented here very expressively and this mixes itself then with the first resinous notes, which evocate exactly this association.
At this point it is worth mentioning from my point of view that fruity fragrances - explicitly red fruits - tend to be feminine for me. This is not the case here due to the special blending of the ingredients.
In the further course of the piece, the blackberry note remains superficially; more sublimely, the arrangement changes behind the blackberry to a tart element. It is quite obvious that resinous and spicy characteristics of the fir balsam have been processed. Even more striking is the elemi resin, which gives the fragrance a slightly incensey touch, somewhat woody and aromatic, which gives the fragrance depth. The cedar is hardly olfactory perceptible on its own, resonates with it and, as is so often the case with fragrances with a weak cedar note, the cedar gives Blackbird a certain sublimity without staging itself.
My conclusion is basically further up, so I could be brief, but I'll go further because I'd like to say a few words about Olympic Orchids. I have avoided many of the fragrances of the label because some of them were already too earthy, too green for me. Then I had the opportunity to test Café V, which was a great success, and now Blackbird, which also shows the handicraft of the perfumers' guild. In this respect I can only say again for me and plead that one shouldn't draw any hasty conclusions but should test it first. Even again the same perfume because after the first tests I found Blackbird to be formidable but I was unsure if I wanted to smell like that, see my statement. What I obviously want by now.
In this sense I thank Floyd for the opportunity to test it again.
I would like to conclude with a - in case this has not become clear - explicit recommendation regarding Blackbird. Meanwhile the hiking trail is getting narrower and narrower on which I let perfumes walk imaginary and check if a purchase is possible. In order to strive for once the Islamic eschatology, symbolically once after longer time a perfume as-Sirat, the narrow bridge into paradise, successfully mastered. A last note on the title, which is a bit mean, the genus Rubus includes, among other things, raspberries, which are contained in the perfume of the same name, which was released one year earlier. Seemed to make sense to me nevertheless

LOVE at first sniff
LOVE at first sniff, and at second, and at 3rd... Because the perfume has not a noticeable avolution. It is the same from born til dead. However It is a very pleasant perfume for me. What i get is a very nice red fruits fragance, fresh and dry instead of fruity and sweet as un other perfumes, with a hint of aromatic and resinous elements over a Green background. The performance is good and the price is fair beeing a niche perfume. Better for daytime use, total unisex and weareable un every season.
Shaking
Mission blind purchase, full success! Part II "The resurrection of the Blackbird"
Silence lies over the forest.
The incoming sunbeams of summer make way for the twilight; the wind freshens up and whips the first harbingers of the approaching autumn around my nose.
The crowns of the fir trees sway back and forth, quietly and thoughtfully, as if to whisper something to me.

Under my strolling steps swirls the leaves and the needles of the firs.
The cool air enlivens my thoughts...my steps into the forest carry me further and further...the last rays of sunshine are almost completely swallowed by the ever denser trees and bushes.

Suddenly a small clearing opens up in front of me, the wind gets stronger, the whispering of the fir trees swells to a staccato of rushing and whispering.
On the clearing I discover a hidden blackberry grove, which, covered with the most luxuriant fruits, meanders criss-cross along the trunks of the firs
I stretch out my hand to taste the fruits swollen with juice and overripe...............

..........and awaken....a knock tears me out of the dream.

Sleep-drunk my look turns to the window ......Her yellow beak flashes at me ......is she it again ???

Our eyes meet, she sniffs at me.........
in her beak triumphantly a berry, she swings from thenen.

Hendrikmainz
Mission blind purchase, full success!
Blackbird, what are we dealing with here? Simple with the blackbird we all know:)
I don't think I've ever blindly bought a fragrance that hits the nail on the head of its description like that. He smells 100% the way I thought he would.
Nice stuff! Certainly not for every day, but if you want something different, perfect! I owe my new treasure to the dear Parfuma Waldvogel! Thanks again for that!
To the fragrance itself: fruity resinous! Description is program here!
An extremely prominent blackberry comes through directly, the sweetness is dampened by the resin. That makes it really great. Reminds me of my childhood. The blackberries grew on our field. You know, they have spines and proliferate. As a child in the summer, after playing, people liked to nibble from the bush into their mouths, while of course trampling on one or the other instinct. Hence the resinous/green fragrance! It makes me remember my childhood! That's what shapes us and when you smell something like that later, your heart opens. Enough indulging, a great, special fragrance and above all an honest & it lasts!!! But it never becomes penetrating!
People, buy!;)

Gold
Pine scent in the berry forest
At the moment I am testing some of the exciting Olympic O. ARTISAN fragrances - and artisan they are. Crafted, handmade - some would say "niche at its best", I mean "niche auf Teufel komm raus", whereby Ellen Covey wants and can do a lot.
The relatively untrained noses around me find all scents dreadful so far - and funny enough my daughter claims that they almost all smell the same, i.e. equally unpleasant.
Well, she's a teenager, but at least one who wanted a big bottle of Caron's "Parfum Sacré" for Christmas and even likes Aromatics Elixir.
"I have to put "Blackbird" in front of my daughter again tomorrow, because he doesn't smell unpleasant. Dr. Covey has his own handwriting, which I welcome. Sometimes it is applied bold and super-thick, in other cases sketchy and thrown down in a few strokes, the next day many lines are stacked on top of each other and interwoven, but never something is only subtly hinted at, even breathed on.
"Blackbird" is a forest painted in coarse strokes with a large tub of bath salt in the middle, a mixture of tetesept and silver fir. In the tub sits a small, chubby boy and feeds a blackbird with lots of blackberries. Verrrry berrry - blackberries, until they become grumberries, because their aroma permeates the entire forest. Very authentic, by the way, I don't know how the Dr.!!! Perfumer that worked out so well.
Everyone can come up with their own Little Red Riding Hood story about the fragrance. -
It remains present for hours.

Do I want to wear / have this?
Not my dream world.

The Blackbird in the Green Woods
Blackbird is a pillar amongst its woody aromatic counterparts; fruity, intense, resinous, deep, and utterly daring. The black juice inside, aside from the fact that it stains the skin and clothes, is a road map to how unisex perfumes should be done. Upon first application, the fruity aspect, the Blackberry note, is prominent and smoky; a perfect opening volley that indicates what is to follow is going to be sexy, enigmatic, and interesting. The dark fruit note here serves as the tray the woods are served on. In the order of prominence, Balsam Fir, Cedar, and Musk are carried on the back of that glorious Blackberry until they all fade away, which is way over 12 hours. The Blackbird is what you would smell if you were to take a walk in the woods of the North on a rainy day and come across Blackberry patches along the way. The perfumer behind this took quite a risk composing this Black Beauty and the effort, in my opinion, was totally worth it. Recommended for all ages and genders who love to wear woody aromatic and are looking for the “dark edge” in a perfume without sacrificing the fresh aspect of it.

NorthernSkyNorthernSky 14 days ago
Delicious, dark, thick and resinous, one of the best forest scents out there.
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 10 months ago
Aromatic, fresh and dry red fruits smell over a Green and resinous background, unisex and suitable for every season for a daytime use.

by Shivsri13
by Shivsri13
by RustCole
by RustCole
by Savanoja
by Savanoja

Popular Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes

Woodcut by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes DEV #2: The Main Act by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes DEV #4: Reprise by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes California Chocolate by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes Café V by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes Hamsa by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes Ballets Rouges by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes Seattle Chocolate by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes DEV #1: Foreplay by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes Lil by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes Tropic of Capricorn by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes Night Flyer by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes Peace by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes Olympic Rainforest by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes Cryptical Envelopment by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes Golden Cattleya by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes Gujarat by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes Carolina by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes Kilauea by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes Siam Proun by Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes