Chypre Mousse (2013)

Version from 2013
Chypre Mousse (2013) by Oriza L. Legrand

Chypre Mousse (2013) is a perfume by Oriza L. Legrand for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is spicy-earthy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Hugo Lambert

Top Notes Top NotesWild mint, Clary sage, Wild fennel, Green shoot
Heart Notes Heart NotesOakmoss, Galbanum, Angelica, Fern, Wild clover, Mastic resin, Violet leaf
Base Notes Base NotesVetiver, Pine needle, Oakmoss, Mushrooms, Humus, Roasted chestnut, Leather, Labdanum, Balsam

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 17.07.2019

10.0 8.0 10.0 6.0/10

A slightly masculine forest
Opening with a bracing, minty-fresh vibe, Chypre Mousse smells like a forest full of dampness and ferns. I can almost feel the damp, cool air of the forest floor. Later I smell damp dirt and maybe some sweet clover and honey. It's amazing how wearable it is considering how naturalistic it is! I have owned it for a few years, and it stands as my reference point for the perfect forest fragrance. There is something about it that becomes "masculine" as it dries down. Hard to pinpoint. Might be a tobacco note or something slightly spicy that causes this effect, but I still adore it.
9.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

The fourth dimension.....
.......Or scents that are more than just scent.
There aren't many. This is the first one that I now consciously perceive so.
What I noticed when I dabbed it was his presence. Not somehow a so-called "top note", but a complex, three-dimensional scent picture standing in space. Green, herbaceous, the stems of the wild herbs close enough to touch, the whole meadow real enough to walk on.
Only a slow change of scene, the gaze wanders leisurely from the meadow to the edge of the forest, in the semi-shade where ferns and certain mosses are at home.
High perennials, like Angelica, also feel at home here. Just as small, robust groundcovers as the scented violet.
I can see and feel exactly the fine pleating of the tree bark, the soft rocking of stems and fern fronds in the light wind.
It's more than a hologram...
Meanwhile, I have caught a glimpse of the inside of the forest, continue the path that leads into the depths of it.
Can feel the floor under the feet, the blanket of pine and fir needles feel under the thin soles of shoes.
I see and smell mossed, ancient tree fragments, some of which have already become humus.
I also see the shadows of shreds of bark slowly peeling off from bent branches, and I can see their scent as clearly as if I were smelling directly from them.
As if I held it between the hens and bent my nose over it.
But one thing is strange.... Where is ZEIT???? Does she ever leave here??
Or so imperceptibly slow that one does not consciously perceive it?
And WHY am I looking for than to just enjoy the WHOLE?
Is this the often described Fourth Dimension, so mysterious that it's hard to grasp?
Well possible to have found a way there with "Chypre Mousse".
At least to me it seems to be.
Here is the combination art of a great perfumer at work, which can lead us beyond time, if one opens oneself to it...
5.0/10

So, so familiar.....
A powerful, sweet, evocative and rather strange Chypre perfume. I was a little taken aback by something overpoweringly familiar within it that I was hard pushed to identify. It is something buried deep in from my childhood that evokes thoughts of new vinyl mixed with aniseed balls, leather, powdery Palma violets, furniture polish and Vicks. Like a fennel flavoured toothpaste with herbs. It is like a familiar cough lozenge or a French breath freshener pastille that has been dropped in the earth and retrieved. The taste is sweet but parts of the earth remain. It is almost medicinally herbal, like germolene ointment and faint Vicks chest rub but with the powdery Violet sweetness and mossy gardens. Totally weird but quite compelling for some reason I have yet to fathom. I need to wear it again, but I'm unsure as to why. Very odd in a nice way.

Omni
Unforgettable, that's what you are
As an seasoned gardener I experienced a very realistic impression of the perfume notes; they were wild fennel, penny royal, asparagus fern and clary sage but it is the mushroom that is dominant at the outset, the star of the show. It's drenched in a balsamic glaze and cooked in an earth pit, in my country that is a hangi. I imagine the dark caves of France where cheese and truffles are kept and think that Chypre Mousse must have its own vat, it's own region, similar to wine appellation. What is disconcerting to me is that I cannot get past the Lifebuoy soap. It's as if the thoroughly composted leaf mould, dark and friable, met the truffly mushroom goodness and went, by mistake, into the soap vat instead of the oak barrels reserved for the best syrah. So, I can't live with the Protex (soap) loitering around the edges of the oak forest where the mycelia of Chypre Mousse call to the distant trampling of the pigs. Not for me, but a perfume highlight all the same. Unbelievably different and memorable, a wonderful experience.

My sample of Chypre Mousse came in the sample pack efficiently desptached from France to the bottom of the world in a package with a faultlessly handwritten address.
9.0 10.0 10.0 7.5/10

The new big chypre-league perfume
The new big chypre-league perfume
"Chypre Mousse" from 2013 is spectacular. Finally, a new, big chypre-league perfume - a must-try for all chypre-addicts. This novel chypre is out there pushing the boundaries of the genre with so much self-assurance that there is no going-back once you've tried it.
So - what's it like? I don't want and can't go into "technical details",
is it real oakmoss we're smelling or is it just tree-moss? How does "Chypre Mousse" compare to other perfumes of the group? Try and find out for yourselves, since appropriate words fail me.
This fragrance is a deep, "green" chypre, yet "green" is too vague an adjective to describe the full impact of "Chypre Mousse".
The perfume sets its trap with piquant and earthy notes, goes on with the mandatory aromatic moss laced with galbanum, adds ferns of all kind, pine needles and vetyver and thus builds a new, neverthelss nostalgic chypre-perfume. "Chypre Mousse" is as earthy as a soft, wet and dark forest soil, it's one of those rare perfumes which can catapult you into a "natural environment". Somewhat raw, uncompromising and indefinable, the glorious mélange of oakmoss, galbanum and balsamic notes with that fascinating edge of earthiness that might or might not spring from the notes of "humus, mushroom and roasted chestnut" (mentioned by the perfumer) has captured my heart. "MERCI" for this perfect "forest fragrance", hauntingly serious and anything but mainstream.
7.5 7.5 10.0 8.0/10

Drseid
Creating The Near Impossible...
Chypre Mousse opens with a eucalyptus-like aromatic herbal mint accord with hints of the hay-like coumarin base note making its presence known quite early. As the fragrance moves to the early heart the coumarin grows in its intensity, mixing with mossy green tree moss as the aromatic herbal mint remains in diminished support. During the late dry-down the coumarin and moss remain, now joined by sharp slightly lemony vetiver and coniferous balmy green fir with the early aromatic mint now extinguished. Projection is excellent, and longevity outstanding at well over 15 hours on skin.

Nowadays I immediately grow skeptical of any fragrance claiming to be a classic chypre, as IFRA restrictions on the key ingredients used to make one have made it near impossible. Recent releases using the chypre name that have impressed many others like Chypre Palatin just did not quite cut it for me. That said, while I suspect tree moss has been substituted for oak moss here either entirely or to a very large degree, the aromatic moss and coumarin fern-like fougere approximation is quite believable, being about as close to the real deal as can be released nowadays. Vetiver asserting itself late in the development provides a rather potent backbone that was somewhat unexpected, but welcome. After a while as it melds with the balmy coniferous aspects during the late dry-down it can get a bit overpowering, wearing one down over time so perhaps a touch less vetiver and fir late would have been more effective, but that is a minor gripe in such an overall fine effort. The bottom line is the 120 Euro per 100ml bottle Chypre Mousse delivers the classic chypre goods; and its ability to create a truly believable chypre approximation despite conforming to IFRA restrictions is even more impressive than its fine smelling results, earning an "excellent" 4 stars out of 5. Definitely recommended.

SamuelGustav 13 months ago
Like walking in a forest after the rain, you can smell the wet green earth. A scent from another age+1

by Dalma