Horizon by Oriza L. Legrand
Bottle Design Cristalleries de Baccarat (1925)
Horizon is a popular perfume by Oriza L. Legrand for women and men and was released in 1925. The scent is earthy-woody. It is still in production.

Hugo Lambert

Top Notes Top NotesBitter orange zest, Candied mandarin orange, Rose
Heart Notes Heart NotesCognac, Tobacco, Cocoa, Roasted almond, Oak wood, Patchouli
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Ambergris, Peat, Blond tobacco, Vanilla, Honey, Leather

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 22.08.2020.

The scent was re-released in 2013. The formula is allegedly unchanged.

Retro scent
Sweet and spicy at first, almost too much for my nose. I spontaneously thought of mothballs or the smell that certain bugs emit. The perfume seems to me quite chemical in smell. The longer you wear the fragrance the better it gets. You can smell more wood and earth out. The durability is enormous, for me the scent is very unusual in any case. I would never wear it because it smells "old" to me.

Kxnaiades
patchouli can never go wrong, nor can Oriza :)
I'm definitely biased when it comes to patchouli, I can't think of a perfume that I would dislike if a big part of it is dominated by patchouli. This is a lovely honeyed patchouli, sweeter and with more character than Coromandel, not as loud or brash as Angel, more refined than my beloved C'est la Fete Patchouli. On me, it's an earthy patchouli and a generous dollop of honey, with a hint of pipe tobacco and black leather. Patchouli haters definitely need to give this one a miss. I agree with sweetnspicey, this isn't masculine, it's very comfortably unisex, leaning a little feminine even. The bonus surprise is that the sillage on this is good, whereas the others I've tried from this house have been a little disappointing. The longevity is wonderful, it's been a full 24 hours and I still smell this on my jacket as strongly as when I first applied it. It must be the magic of patchouli under the wizardry of Oriza L. Legrand. I definitely recommend this.

Brass Buttons
The tree tomato of my youth was rebranded a 'tamarillo', an egg shaped ruby red fruit with skin that has the feel of modern day silicon kitchen utensils. We make chutney with tamarillo in early winter, so imagine my surprise when I sampled Horizon and thought 'tamarillo chutney'.
What's more it was a boozy one, as if I had added a kick, which I frequently do (Marsala, mostly)
The evaporating molecules gave way to an earthy scent, white roots rather than the Mandragore that first sprung to mind. The heart notes, delicious as they were faded quickly on my skin. There was nothing but a trace two hours later and that trace resembled Bal a Versailles or Alahine, opopanax and orange blossom, amber and honey. I can't say I would wear this except for its novelty, the ability to mention an apparently unchanged formula from long ago. It occurs to me that this fragrance would be wonderful on a man/woman in uniform, something about serge and brass buttons, a polished boot. That imagination running wild again.

Untamed, unchanged, unusual
This is the original formula, so I read in various places. If the ladies and gents wore this in early 1925, then hats off. They wore a damn good perfume. So what is in it? Orange zest, ambered cognac, roasted almonds, patchouli ... ah, yes patchouli. This note is usually one I stay away from, but here it is very unobtrusive, really buried within the other delectable notes and a cloud of powder.

I can wear this! Feel comfortable and carry about an understated ladylike aura. This scent is modern and old-fashioned at the same time. The old-fashioned vibe may be the dustiness, the modern vibe is the cool, restrained blend of gourmand notes with a continuous subtle touch of powder.

Leave your trail in the elevator? Not quite heavy enough, but certainly noticeable. After the scent settles down it lasts still many hours close to the skin.

"Horizon" is the first of the Oriza perfumes I have tested. They have a very good sample program and customs did not seem to mind. Beats me. I am glad that I used it while it is still possible.

Channeling Vintage Yohji Homme
Horizon opens with a quick dash of almond before a slight powdery cocoa note emerges, mingling with a subtle dark dulled rose. As the fragrance enters the early heart the cocoa turns less powdery, blooming to full milk chocolate, as it mixes with the primary heart accord of boozy cognac and benzoin-laced semi-sweet amber. Natural woods and a touch of underlying anise join the remnants of the dull rose in support. As the fragrance enters the late dry-down, the cognac and dull rose dissipate while the relatively sweet amber remains dominant, now joined by traces of sanitized patchouli and suede-like leather. Projection is average and longevity is excellent to outstanding at 12-14 hours on skin.

Immediately when I sprayed Horizon on skin I thought "this smells like vintage Yohji Homme." I think it is something to do with the gourmand-like heart accord of the supporting anise mixing with the cocoa, the boozy amber and woods that begs the comparison. The rose was elusive at first, but over time what was thought as plain anise was actually partially derived from a dark dulled rose that compliments it. The heart accord is on the sweet side of neutral, but it never veers to overly sweet. If there is any part of the composition that is weakest veering away from vintage Yohji Homme it probably is the late dry-down, as the amber dominates sending the sweetness level a bit higher than desired without enough of the suede leather in the base for better balance. The bottom line is the 120 Euro per 100ml bottle Horizon is a rare instance of a gourmand that is quite appealing on the whole and definitely purchase-worthy, earning an "excellent" rating of 4 stars out of 5.

Horizyklop
by Floyd
Unter der Patchoulisonne
by Floyd

Popular Oriza L. Legrand

Vetiver Royal Bourbon (2014) by Oriza L. Legrand Rêve d'Ossian (2012) by Oriza L. Legrand Œillet Louis XV (2012) by Oriza L. Legrand Héliotrope (2014) / Héliotrope Blanc by Oriza L. Legrand Cuir de l'Aigle Russe (2015) by Oriza L. Legrand Foin Fraîchement Coupé (2013) by Oriza L. Legrand Déjà Le Printemps (2012) by Oriza L. Legrand Violettes du Czar (2014) by Oriza L. Legrand Chypre Mousse (2013) by Oriza L. Legrand Relique d'Amour (2012) by Oriza L. Legrand Le Régent by Oriza L. Legrand Jardins d'Armide (2013) by Oriza L. Legrand Gentry Jockey Club (2017) by Oriza L. Legrand Muguet Fleuri (2014) by Oriza L. Legrand Marions Nous (2014) by Oriza L. Legrand Villa Lympia by Oriza L. Legrand Royal Œillet (2014) by Oriza L. Legrand Les Tourterelles de Zelmis (2017) by Oriza L. Legrand Cologne Extra-Vieille by Oriza L. Legrand L'Eau de Corse by Oriza L. Legrand