Ormonde Man 2004Eau de Parfum

Ormonde Man (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne
Ormonde Man (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Ormonde Jayne for men and was released in 2004. The scent is woody-spicy. It is still in production.

Geza Schön

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Cardamom, Coriander, Pink pepper, Juniper berry
Heart Notes Heart NotesOud, Hemlock fir
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by TVC15, last update on 19.10.2020.

FFL
Can I cut back a little?
This title question is heard in our modern times, in which fasting, renunciation and FdH are becoming more and more fashionable. Does it have to be the schnitzel with fries again, or do we turn off to the salad buffet? The new Apple Watch made of stainless steel, or is aluminium enough? Ice cream but please with cream... ...or without? And suddenly I was faced with the question: Ormonde Man with 50% oil concentration, or is 30% enough? But let's start from the beginning.

While browsing through the top 30 men's fragrances in our favorite perfume database, I came across Ormonde Man (perfume). Of course, I ordered a bottling, and while you're at it, I ordered a "normal" eau de parfum (far outside the top 100) as well. If the highly concentrated version is really so much better, I wanted to investigate soberly and empirically.

Even before the samples arrived, I had already informed myself at Ormonde Jayne, London, how the rabbit generally runs. There were 30%, 40% and 50% concentrations, the friendly mail support told me. The first variant in a standard spray bottle, the last two variants either as a filling in the same (unfortunately with "Eau de Parfum" instead of "Parfum") or as a filling in a fancy bottle with a red cord around the bottle neck, then with "Parfum" writing, but unfortunately without the actual perfume name on it - you only have "generic" bottles for the so-called "Made-to-Measure" fragrances ("tailor-made concentration"). Sip.

When I asked the support team why the 30% concentration is called "eau de parfum", even though according to Wikipedia an EdP only has "10-20% aromatic compounds" (phew, my English was just about enough), the only answer was "we understand that this can be confusing". Hihi, well, Ormonde Jayne has his own definition and just hits the 12th. Up to now I always thought that the 42% offered by Profumum Roma is the highest of feelings. Well then, at 50% you can actually speak of "Explosion de Parfum", even above Pure Perfume / Extrait :-)

But now to the fragrances themselves: The perfume is highly praised here, and I can understand the praise very well. The higher concentration makes the fragrance appear more intense. I have the impression that the hemlock has been overdosed here more than the other notes. This seems to appeal to most people here. Personally, I find the other notes that make the scent a bit more edgy and fresh, like vetiver and pepper, a bit under
What I like about EdP is that it's a bit more barbershop-like, not so balsamic, but spicier and a bit soapy. I'd feel more comfortable with it in the office. In the evening I would prefer the perfume, with the woody-green hemlock, which is poisonous, but is said to have a calming effect (well, poison can sedate well *joking*).

Another observation in Drydown (EdP) that I don't want to conceal: Many people say they don't take oud and that's how I felt at first. But in the late drydown, when bergamot and juniper had long ago said goodbye, I suddenly noticed a sweet dusty woodiness. This note seemed familiar to me and then came the inspiration: MFK's Oud. And: Hadn't Ms. Jayne reported in an interview that she "travelled the world and came across Lao oud"? Well, Francis K. also used this (8 years later). Ergo: But a bit of oud in it. With the perfume (50%) on the other hand, I still only noticed hemlock fir.

And the moral of the story: There is no recommendation. Everyone must choose the concentration that suits them. I choose the cheaper one because I like the ticking better. And let's face it: 30% concentration is already more than 95% of the other fragrances on the market. So it may be a little less ;-)
Wandelduft

Hotel experience

A large green meadow gives us a wonderful view over to the forest. And to the clear-cutting in the forest. The tall hemlocks are felled, the resin flies far over the field. The cones smell wonderfully of spices (9,5) and fall into the undergrowth with oud and small animals. The juniper on the slope nods to the action. Delicately dusty. Delicately flattering. Round.

The rising day is changing. Into a balmy world. A world of cleanliness.

The logs are sent for use in the spa. Scent of light woods, from maritime lands, complement the room-filling silage. Slowly the wonderful forest scent loses its intensity. Soap (7.0) is the main ingredient for the coming hours.

And soap makes me a little sad.

8.0 / 7.0 / 7.0 / ---

Thanks to Norleans for the generous rehearsal.

A supplement (wood) in my collection to Richard Lüscher Britos 46°N 08°E (Arve).
Chizza
Once again the wallpaper is decimated by the daughter? It's not a big deal today ;)
I am not usually a friend of such fir scents, too much I have to think of Badedas Classic with its firs, pines, pines and conifers. In itself the bath additive also smells good but just for bathing. At most in the sauna or the like, I put up with such scents.
In the sauna Ormonde Man could also take place especially at the beginning. But then the fir tree, which is dominant at the beginning, turns into a balsamic, soothing and clearly enters into a cooperation with the cedar. In itself here already a beautiful and really harmonious scent. One almost wants to exclaim: Stay! You are so beautiful! With time, the scent doesn't linger as long and there are two reasons for this. On the one hand, it quickly becomes quite close to the skin where it nevertheless remains for eight hours. A great sillage or even billowing scent clouds here and there you should not expect On the other hand, the scent changes again, it becomes slightly sweetish, which is good for the fir. It doesn't stay ethereal and this woody perfume has a completely different effect. All in all, Ormonde Man is for me a fragrance that makes forest or fir tree tangible for all those who otherwise can't do much with fir except bath essences. For me it is soothing, calming and relaxing. A nice change in the fragrance portfolio.

GewoonBB
Ormonde Man (Nose Knows No Notes)
• ORMONDE JAYNE ORMONDE MAN •

Interesting very light green woody, but who is this for?

Ormonde Man packs quite a punch in the opening, but quickly becomes subtle. There's a sharp, clean pine scent. It leans green, there's cedar wood, but also black hemlock, an aromatic conifer. For a couple of minutes, it has an almost resinous, herbal quality, that I personally didn't really enjoy, but that's just me not being into green fragrances. There's a nice citrus note as well, but it's overpowered a bit by the green accord.
As I stated, the punchy opening turns into a much subtler and more accessible and versatile scent. With a name like Ormonde Man, it seems that the target market would be more mainstream, where this could function as a signature scent. That's definitely more the direction this goes to in the drydown, although it remains slightly green. It becomes much softer and pleasant. To me, this seems to be a modern take on a chypre-like masculine fragrance. It's different from everything I've tried so far, which is commendable, but it begs the question; who's this for? I feel that it's too safe and subtle for people who like the older style chypre fragrances or green fragrances in general. However, this style doesn't seem to be in demand as much for people who wear mainstream designers and it still leans quite green for a formal office scent (although I could see people pulling that off with no problem). I thought it was interesting to sample, but I'm curious how others would utilize Ormonde Man? •
Leko
News: "Sharp guy is killed by the spicy fir"
Ormonde Man... yes, definitely for the man. Exceptionally spicy and fresh, the scent around your nose is always accompanied by pine or rather fir resin? As is well known, each fragrance unfolds individually on the skin of its wearer and of course always does something different. The spicy fir resin smells very dominant and remains a never ending story... While other fragrances sometimes ignite in three stages, here one note remains in charge throughout.

Spontaneously I had the image of a fir-eucalyptus sauna before my eyes and quite honestly, that's the smell of a sauna that is infused with the fabric. Always a slight pungency, which still fires up the above mentioned spice and freshness. I assume that the red pepper takes care of that.
Slightly fruity will also come through later
The fragrance is very strict, fresh and masculine, and is very respectful. Nothing unisex, because very determining.
All in all, this is a very interesting fragrance with a unique selling point and it will become a little rounder and more pleasing over time. a little ;-) .

Thus, those who are looking for something strikingly manly, spicy, fresh and green that has a strong relation to the forest will be really well served with a high-quality Ormonde Man. Finally, I recommend applying a maximum of 2-3 splashes.
NikEy
For all the boys out there...
After a long time with Parfumo and hours of extensive testing, it becomes - as most people can confirm - more and more difficult to find a fragrance that really excites you again. Not only is it great for testing, almost exhausting and without special attention on the test hand, but with 7.5 points it is not passed on as good for you to wear, but it is passed on to you in such a way that you want to spray yourself completely with it. Ormonde Man made it! The statements are very mixed, I couldn't get a real picture of how it smells on my skin at the end. Woody-fresh or rather green, dry or even too classic?

At first apply then the surprise. Ormonde Man is absolutely airy-transparent and modern, the only thing that combines it with a classic men's fragrance is the combination of freshness, wood and green spice - but completely modernised. Nothing here is bitter or old-fashioned, on the contrary. What makes him so special is his charisma, which on the one hand is absolutely perfumed and precisely composed, but on the other hand looks as if the scent would simply be around you without being radiated by yourself. A bit like rubbing yourself with an absolutely high-quality, fragrant body lotion and carrying a delicate fragrance around with you. Not at all absurd perhaps, because with Ormonde Man I am one of the first components to make out a clear creaminess, very gently ambered, soft and fluffy. Accompanied by wood warmth and soft notes of fir balsam. Gentle flower cream and an undeniable sweetness let him move a bit towards unisex. Anyone who thinks this could be difficult or luxuriant is wrong, because he always keeps a certain freshness and his absolutely airy-transparent nature. The base changes to warmer, musk and sandalwood fuse sexy with the skin, Ormonde Man becomes lovelier but never heavy.

I cannot understand the classification which clearly assigns the older gentlemen to the fragrance. On the contrary, I find here the otherwise classic 3er combination wood fresh seasoning so modernly converted that I can imagine Ormonde Man much better at younger men (to me with 25 he fits perfectly). Light-heartedness, modernity and joie de vivre, for everyone. The fragrance matches the suit as well as the casual outfit, for every day - signature worthy!

Ormonde Meh!
The opening of Ormonde Man is quite bold and almost overwhelming at first; all I smell is a slightly syrupy sandalwood note, citrus, spices (a load of cumin and red pepper), vetiver, cedar, and a strong salty note with a slight camphor aftertaste that I guess comes from musk. Basically, imagine a bold woody-spicy scent with a sweet-salty vein, and a vibrant Mediterranean aromatic herbal breeze (juniper?). The oud note is really light, more just a dark medicinal feel on the base. That’s pretty much it, for hours. Frankly this fragrance left me completely indifferent: I find it quite static, cloyingly thick, and too “powerfully generic” to be at least “safely” refined or elegant. Honestly it smells to me like whatever spicy-fresh-boisé designer scent, just “on steroids”, louder and more concentrated. Not bad, but... meh!

6/10

Modern Classic
It's interesting the sensation that Ormonade Man transmit me on skin, because there is a kind of classic aura to me at the same time it seems totally modern. Ormonde Man is not one of those fragrance that opens with strong notes, that seems to pull an impression. It simply keeps itself harmonic, with a more discreet charm, a classical one. To me, the spices aromas dominates its smell: the creamier side of cardamom in contact with the sweet spiciness of pink pepper and the herbal and driest aroma of juniper. The opening has a citrus side and green aroma very delicious, that a little bit after develops into the spices dominance. The base is what makes me think of Ormonde Man as modern instead of classic: altough they list notes like vetiver, cedar and sandalwood, what is the main aroma on it is a mineral shiny woody aroma that seems very modern and synthetic, but that fits well the composition.

Epimedes
The very model of a modern urbane gentleman
From the opening of Ormonde Man I get a jolt of a very realistic coriander, followed after a minute or two by pepper that becomes dominant in the spicy mix. Luckily, the fragrance never smells like an Indian food store, as these notes dissipate quickly and don't contribute much in the later development. Within five-ten minutes, Iso E Super firmly takes over, with some green and coniferous notes blended in (I guess that would be the 'black hemlock' and 'fir'). There is slight sweetness throughout, and I think I can smell some relatively shy musk underneath, but don't get even a semblance of 'oud' here. The scent produces an aura of abstract transluscent greenery for many hours, owing to its high-quality synthetic base. Use with caution if you think you might be sensitive to the synthetics used in the formula, as subtle they are not; they are also pretty resistant to washing off. Overall, Ormonde Man is a confident and polished performer that lacks any weird, out of character elements. Nothing dated here, just a well executed example of a clean and coherent modern design. Not surprisingly, Ormonde Man wins many positive reviews and I agree it can be quite a versatile wear.

My New Favorite Formal
Bottom Line -
The characterizations I've seen multiple times of Ormonde Man being "James Bond's cologne" is spot-on. It is SO good, and classy. This one goes on my must-buy list after only a couple of wearings, and although its a rarity for my ratings, it gets full marks of 100%. Men 30s and up looking for a big-boy cologne for multiple purposes, but especially for dressing up, will appreciate this one.

Scent -
Ormonde Man starts extremely green and woody, with piqcant spiciness for added character at the top. Yet it never comes across as a "look at me" scent, it is ultra-smooth and full. The mids sweeten up just a tad as the greenness from the top recedes a bit, and the woodsiness begin to exert itself. I'm not sure what hemlock smells like, but if that's part of what I smell in the heart of this fragrance, then other houses might want to avail themselves of this little morsel in future offerings as well. I don't smell much, if any smoky oud, it may be that its just supporting the woodsy notes in this implementation. The base seems to feature a nice creamy sandalwood, and spicy cedar - not overdone, as it is in many other men's fragrances. I don't get any overt vetiver or musk either, but then again it's so well blended, I probably just can't distinguish them.

Whatever is going on with the notes in each stage, the net result is pretty fantastic, I really can't deduct any points at any time during the scent life for smell.

Wear Performance -
Sillage and projection are substantial enough to make a conservative statement, but not loud, so I believe it hits the intended mark dead-on. Longevity was moderate, even though this is labeled EDP, and I might've expected a bit more. The scent projected well for 2hrs, but stays put solidly for a few more. Under typical wear conditions, it seems that longevity should see you through a full business day, 6-8hrs. The shorter-than-expected longevity as an EDP concentration is a small compromise, but if it were labeled an EDT, it would be exactly what I'd expect. In either case the smell more than makes up for this limitation, and I'll just carry an atomizer.

Wear Scenarios -
The aroma is quite flexible, and should work to dress up or down. I'd have zero issues wearing this out to a day spent shopping in jeans, and I wore it out last night to a friend's wedding, dressed to the nines - and it worked perfectly.

Not sure this is particularly a date night fragrance, like a DHI or Straight to Heaven, because it's not especially sweet or fresh. A woman that appreciates a man with top-shelf class would probably have an appreciation for it though.

Like other similar masculines in the same category, Le Labo's Poivre 23 comes to mind, I believe Ormonde Man would wear easily across at least 3 seasons, with only Summer days being questionable if it's quite hot.

Other Notes -
Unfortunately, Ormonde Man appears to be rather difficult to get ones hands on. Manufactured in London, it is available in several Euro-based boutiques, but so far I haven't found anyone in the US carrying it. I'll be in Europe again next month and will attempt to get a full bottle to add to my decant, but failing that, I will definitely pay the rather stiff shipping to have a bottle sent to my home here.

EmorandeiraEmorandeira 15 months ago
Classic and elegant. It smells Woody and creamy. However the performance is not the best so for me doesnt worth really the high price...

by Mustang69
by Biker
by GewoonBB
by GewoonBB

Popular Ormonde Jayne

Ormonde Man (Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne 2. Nawab of Oudh Intensivo by Ormonde Jayne Vanille d'Iris (Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Black Gold by Ormonde Jayne Vanille d'Iris (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne 2. Nawab of Oudh Parfum by Ormonde Jayne Ambre Royal by Ormonde Jayne 4. Montabaco Intensivo by Ormonde Jayne 4. Montabaco Parfum by Ormonde Jayne Montabaco Verano by Ormonde Jayne Royal Elixir by Ormonde Jayne Ormonde Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Isfarkand (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Tolu (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Montabaco Extrême by Ormonde Jayne Privé by Ormonde Jayne Ta'if (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Bespoke Parfum Collection - Cuir Imperial by Ormonde Jayne Rose Gold by Ormonde Jayne Orris Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne