Ormonde Woman

(2002)
Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne
Where to buy?
Ormonde Woman is a popular perfume by Ormonde Jayne for women and was released in 2002. The scent is woody-green. It is still in production.

Geza Schön

Top Notes Top NotesGrass, Cardamom, Coriander
Heart Notes Heart NotesHemlock fir, Jasmine, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Cedarwood

Submitted by TVC15, last update on 25.01.2017

1 Award
Solid unisex
Ormonde Woman opens with a thick, vaguely Lutensian harmony of sweet woody notes with a slight “syrupy” texture, above all a cedar note quite on the sweet side (like in Lutens’ Cèdre, in fact) with detectable notes of citrus, violet, coriander, vanilla, jasmine, something mossy-herbal, an almost-sticky and warm texture of amber and something resinous and “pine-woody”, and a subtle salty-balmy aftertaste which I recall having found in Tolu as well by the same brand. The blend is cleverly made a bit lighter and brighter by a dusty-talc breeze which smells something like a “violet-flavoured” incense, even if it’s probably only violet with Iso E – a couple which reminds me of another scent by Lutens, Feminité du Bois, that in fact included cedar, violet notes and (correct me if I’m wrong) some 40% of Iso E Super. There are many differences though, but they seem to share a sort of common inspiration. The vetiver note emerges more clearly after a while, as soon as the scent gets a bit more dry, although it never gets prominent – it rather just lies there providing a “woodier” (I mean: more “realistic”) counterpart to cedar. Frankly, this fragrance smells much unisex to me, not to say more masculine than feminine – basically it’s a balsamic woody scent with a light and quite subtle sweet-floral breeze. The drydown is quite long-lasting and unexpectedly substantial, although a tad linear. A bit bland perhaps, but solid and effortlessly refined.

7/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 7.0/10
5 Awards
Androgynous Woman
There seems to be a tendency these days--or is it just a short-lived trend?--to name unisex perfumes "Woman". Ormonde Jayne ORMONDE WOMAN may have started it all back in 2002, but Banana Republic W and DKNY WOMAN seem equally unisex to me. We've entered the age of androgyny at last, or it seems. To be honest, this creation reminds me of some of the masculine Amouage perfumes.

The reputation of ORMONDE WOMAN precedes it, with lots of people lauding this perfume as a masterpiece. I don't really pay attention to those proclamations, so I'm not that disappointed to discover that ORMONDE WOMAN does not live up to the hype. It's fine, no doubt, but there's too much "radiance" going on here for me. I believe that somewhere in The Holey[sic] Book Luca Turin describes iso-E-super as a perfumer's "wet dream". Huh. Okay, whatever. To me, it's just a sinus-clearing aromachemical being used far too much and at far too high a concentration in most of the perfumes in which it figures these days.

ORMONDE WOMAN offers a pleasing blend of grasses and woods, and not a lot of florality. I would have liked this better with less "perfumer's wet dream" and more of the green and floral notes. This is a perfectly respectable composition, but I do not find it as compelling as the gorgeous floral green chypres of the Lancôme La Collection. To me, ORMONDE WOMAN is like taking a smidgeon of one of those elixirs and diluting it in the proverbial "perfumer's wet dream".
Sillage 5.0/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 9.0/10
Very helpful Review    11 Awards
So close to perfection
With a little more sillage and longevity Ormonde Jayne Woman could be my Holy Grail. However, I have yet to try the parfum concentration and have high hopes that it may have that extra potency.

I have always been attracted to green fragrances and felt they had something of a cerebal vibe. Pine forest fragrances have tended to let me down, though. So often a heavy-handed conifer note conjures up those nasty little tree-shaped air fresheners that people hang from the rear view mirrors of their cars. It's even worse when a frag reminds me of Pine Sol (a cleaning product), which is as synthetic and oily a noxious scent as you will ever smell. Enter OJW with its Black Hemlock note. Why aren't more parfumers using this brilliant stuff?! In combination with grass oil as it is in OJW, black hemlock is bright and subtle, lending just enough conifer scent to make you feel as if you were in the forest as opposed to being assaulted by it.

The floral notes of jasmine and violet are background players but essential nonetheless, as they lend depth and complexity. Coriander and cardamom give warmth in the opening, which is maintained throughout by a generous dose of gorgeous, cuddly amber.

I don't consider OJW to be a feminine frag at all, if such a thing even exists. This scent is tailor made for a hot smart person of either sex; maybe a little aloof but all the more sexy for it. I don't always agree with Turin and Sanchez, but they sure got it right when they gave OJW five stars. Sillage and longevity are good, but my only complaint is that I would expect them to be excellent at this price.
Scent 0.0/10
1 Award
Allergy sufferers take note
Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne smells wonderful, but I can't wear it! My ears are aching & my skin is itching. Allergies! I suspect the grass oil. I frequently have trouble with jasmine too, and OW is particularly dominant in jasmine. The spices aren't helping any.

I know this fragrance gets lots of love from the community, and I purchased based on that love. My experience is in the minority opinion.

If you're like me, and you're sensitive and/or allergic to some things, definitely try before you buy this one! I have a 10ml travel spray and really should have tested it first. :-/

Popular Ormonde Jayne

Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne Tolu by Ormonde Jayne Ta'if by Ormonde Jayne Vanille d'Iris (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Nawab of Oudh by Ormonde Jayne Montabaco by Ormonde Jayne Frangipani by Ormonde Jayne Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne Champaca by Ormonde Jayne Tiare by Ormonde Jayne Zizan by Ormonde Jayne Orris Noir by Ormonde Jayne Osmanthus by Ormonde Jayne Sampaquita by Ormonde Jayne Montabaco Intensivo by Ormonde Jayne Nawab of Oudh Intensivo by Ormonde Jayne Tsarina by Ormonde Jayne Qi by Ormonde Jayne Black Gold by Ormonde Jayne