Ormonde Woman 2002 Eau de Parfum

Ormonde Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne
7.8 / 10 189 Ratings
Ormonde Woman (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Ormonde Jayne for women and was released in 2002. The scent is green-woody. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top Notes GrassGrass CardamomCardamom CorianderCoriander
Heart Notes Heart Notes Hemlock firHemlock fir JasmineJasmine VioletViolet
Base Notes Base Notes AmberAmber SandalwoodSandalwood VetiverVetiver CedarwoodCedarwood

Submitted by TVC15, last update on 25.01.2023.

7 in-depth fragrance descriptions
Top Review 14
Dark fir green or light-flooded summer forest?
I read a lot about Ormonde Woman long before I was finally allowed to get to know the fragrance: Witch's potion, fir-dark, seductive poison - that's about the gist of it. Linda Pilkington, the founder and soul of Ormonde Jayne, personally paints the picture of a fairy-tale character who hides her raven-black hair under a cape to secretly rush to her lover at night with a vial of this potion in her pocket. Ms Pilkington is silent about the beau's intentions. Tania Sanchez, like many others, also promises a sinister witch's forest, where the amber sweetness of a gingerbread cottage hides behind fir branches, cedar and oak moss.

I had to meet this green poison. Absolutely. That much was clear.

I first encountered OW while stalking a large niche perfumery. Ten test strips in the hand balancing, pulse, wrists and arm bends already sprayed with other fragrances and without the help of the friendly saleswoman I would not even get the cap from the bottle - yes, such a life as a perfumer is not always easy ... In retrospect, it is probably no wonder that the Aha effect, which I had hoped for the fragrance, had to fail.
Only recently I found then a few drops of the green magic elixir as an addition in my fragrance mail - at this point again many thanks to the noble donor! - and the first spray really took me into a magic forest. But the surprise was great: no trace of Grimm's fairy tale, no gloomy threatening fir trees and no beautiful witch with the deadly brew in her coat pocket. Instead, I found myself in a sun-drenched mixed forest. Bright, friendly, and warm. I've only seen the hemlocks listed several times in the pyramid from Twin Peaks, and I have no idea what they smell like. In OW, I perceive them as sun-warmed pines. Here, the owls are exactly what they seem. Instead of mushrooms, violets and liverworts grow out of the dry ground - and if there is indeed a cottage in the darker depths of the forest, it is not an evil witch who lives in it, but a troop of helpful dwarves.

I usually have my buying reflex pretty well in check, but in this case I had to grab it. Quickly. Immediately. Without hesitation. And while the transparent scent of my enchanted forest now envelops me, I smile to myself - but who knows, maybe I myself am that witch who wants to cast a spell on lonely wanderers in this forest ..

Very helpful Review 10
So close to perfection
With a little more sillage and longevity Ormonde Jayne Woman could be my Holy Grail. However, I have yet to try the parfum concentration and have high hopes that it may have that extra potency.

I have always been attracted to green fragrances and felt they had something of a cerebal vibe. Pine forest fragrances have tended to let me down, though. So often a heavy-handed conifer note conjures up those nasty little tree-shaped air fresheners that people hang from the rear view mirrors of their cars. It's even worse when a frag reminds me of Pine Sol (a cleaning product), which is as synthetic and oily a noxious scent as you will ever smell. Enter OJW with its Black Hemlock note. Why aren't more parfumers using this brilliant stuff?! In combination with grass oil as it is in OJW, black hemlock is bright and subtle, lending just enough conifer scent to make you feel as if you were in the forest as opposed to being assaulted by it.

The floral notes of jasmine and violet are background players but essential nonetheless, as they lend depth and complexity. Coriander and cardamom give warmth in the opening, which is maintained throughout by a generous dose of gorgeous, cuddly amber.

I don't consider OJW to be a feminine frag at all, if such a thing even exists. This scent is tailor made for a hot smart person of either sex; maybe a little aloof but all the more sexy for it. I don't always agree with Turin and Sanchez, but they sure got it right when they gave OJW five stars. Sillage and longevity are good, but my only complaint is that I would expect them to be excellent at this price.

Helpful Review 5
Ormonde Woman/Man
The similarity between Ormonde Man and Ormonde Woman is striking. Both are cedar-heavy spicy-woodies with a green glow and a sticky resin background. Ormonde Woman has a violet note, where Ormonde Man confirms masculinity with subtle oud and peppered heat. And yet, Ormonde Woman feels more successful and far more handsome. Just go for Ormonde Woman, guys.

Androgynous Woman
There seems to be a tendency these days--or is it just a short-lived trend?--to name unisex perfumes "Woman". Ormonde Jayne ORMONDE WOMAN may have started it all back in 2002, but Banana Republic W and DKNY WOMAN seem equally unisex to me. We've entered the age of androgyny at last, or it seems. To be honest, this creation reminds me of some of the masculine Amouage perfumes.

The reputation of ORMONDE WOMAN precedes it, with lots of people lauding this perfume as a masterpiece. I don't really pay attention to those proclamations, so I'm not that disappointed to discover that ORMONDE WOMAN does not live up to the hype. It's fine, no doubt, but there's too much "radiance" going on here for me. I believe that somewhere in The Holey[sic] Book Luca Turin describes iso-E-super as a perfumer's "wet dream". Huh. Okay, whatever. To me, it's just a sinus-clearing aromachemical being used far too much and at far too high a concentration in most of the perfumes in which it figures these days.

ORMONDE WOMAN offers a pleasing blend of grasses and woods, and not a lot of florality. I would have liked this better with less "perfumer's wet dream" and more of the green and floral notes. This is a perfectly respectable composition, but I do not find it as compelling as the gorgeous floral green chypres of the Lancôme La Collection. To me, ORMONDE WOMAN is like taking a smidgeon of one of those elixirs and diluting it in the proverbial "perfumer's wet dream".

Helpful Review 2
Solid unisex
Ormonde Woman opens with a thick, vaguely Lutensian harmony of sweet woody notes with a slight “syrupy” texture, above all a cedar note quite on the sweet side (like in Lutens’ Cèdre, in fact) with detectable notes of citrus, violet, coriander, vanilla, jasmine, something mossy-herbal, an almost-sticky and warm texture of amber and something resinous and “pine-woody”, and a subtle salty-balmy aftertaste which I recall having found in Tolu as well by the same brand. The blend is cleverly made a bit lighter and brighter by a dusty-talc breeze which smells something like a “violet-flavoured” incense, even if it’s probably only violet with Iso E – a couple which reminds me of another scent by Lutens, Feminité du Bois, that in fact included cedar, violet notes and (correct me if I’m wrong) some 40% of Iso E Super. There are many differences though, but they seem to share a sort of common inspiration. The vetiver note emerges more clearly after a while, as soon as the scent gets a bit more dry, although it never gets prominent – it rather just lies there providing a “woodier” (I mean: more “realistic”) counterpart to cedar. Frankly, this fragrance smells much unisex to me, not to say more masculine than feminine – basically it’s a balsamic woody scent with a light and quite subtle sweet-floral breeze. The drydown is quite long-lasting and unexpectedly substantial, although a tad linear. A bit bland perhaps, but solid and effortlessly refined.

7/10