Osmanthus (2003) Eau de Parfum

Osmanthus (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne

Osmanthus (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Ormonde Jayne for women and was released in 2003. The scent is fresh-floral. It is still in production.

Geza Schön

Top Notes Top NotesDavana, Pimento, Honey pomelo
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine sambac, Osmanthus absolute, Waterlily
Base Notes Base NotesLabdanum, Musk, Vetiver, Cedarwood

Submitted by TVC15, last update on 08.09.2019

Beginning to °Get° Osmanthus
I think possibly now I'm beginning to °get° what osmanthus is. I have not intraspired of osmanthus in native form; but interpolating between 'fumes that have it as a note, it's beginning to °emerge° & °take shape° in my consciousness, much the way orris did; but this is yet subtler. Would it be fair to say that it's aroma is something like that of a freshly-opened packet of loose-leaf Ceylon tea, with a similar very subtle oranginess? It's ^that^ certain quality - that quality that those other osmanthusy 'fumes have. Oh, and indeed it is really quite lovely! I'm getting a strong ^in a garden amongst exotic herbeage^ gestalt from it. Is it like ambergris & orris in that it is more of a °stealthy° aroma, unspectacular superficially, but gently seducing the smellsense with a whispered mystery? Yes, it's that kind of note, isn't it. Right teasing me with its mystery, it is. That's what I'm getting fræ this 'fume, anyway; and from the other °osmanthusy° 'fumes I have intraspired of. And in this one it's showcased admirably, in a 'fume that is transparent & yet somewhat earthy simultaneously, as I find OJ fragrances tend to be. And yet there are those telltale signs of a robustitude beyond what it's detailed content would seem to indicate - also a characteristic of them. They can sometimes seem to do a disappearing act; but then you realise they were there all along; and then they are still perceptible on your garments days later: yes, they are still there, no need to worry if they do their little disappearing act. Balmain's ~Ivoire~ could well have been one of these, I would say - plenty of that superficially paradoxical robustitude there as here. I'm getting used to these °lighter° sorts of 'fume now. A 'fume doesn't have to be a °stonker° to be robust, and these °light° OJ fragrances show that. I think this one is going to maintain that score.

Much as I tend to appreciate ~Sherapop's disquisitions, I cannot agree in detail here: I ^do^ think this is a very ^characterful^ fragrance. If by any chance you are reading this, I would put it to you that you always did have a concept of osmanthus: but, it being more of a ^potential^ aroma than an ^outright^ one, in that it's one if those that continually ^hints^ that it is on the point of breaking-forth into a flagrantly gorgeous aroma, but never actually does so, & is actually the better precisely for its ^not^ doing so, your explicit mind denied it. I do now strongly incline to deeming it the subtle aroma par-excellence, perhaps displacing even orris in that rôle, which in comparison to this osmanthus stuff is now beginning to seem outright flagrant! And not actually ^overpowered^ by any other note in the sense of being °blocked° or °hidden° by it, but on the contrary very much there and no less by reason of the sheer °gewalt° of that other note, like a piccolo playing amidst drums & thundrous brass. I understand how someone can perceive this OJ fragrance as a bit generic, not-quite-cloyingly-sweet, green + floral + citrusy + vetivery etc fragrance; but, after a lot of consideration - and zen-like abstinence-from-consideration, I cannot but come to the conclusion that this 'fume has a ^very^ great deal of ^character^. I keep thinking of Chanel's ~Sycomore~: I think it's quite a lot like that one.

All this may seem an excess of circumspection; but if a perfumier is going to use these ultra-subtle, ultra-delicate notes in the perfume, precisely for the °intriguing° of the smellsense, then, of course, people are going to respond in that sort of way! I'll bet, where this stuff grows, people have for millenia been struggling just like this to °bottle° this aroma verbally. And reviewers do tend to struggle similarly when they review osmanthusy 'fumes, as one may see, casting round a bit.

It's delightfully tantalising: is it green, is it floral, is it ... whatever! It seems to occupy a space between categories - a space where you never hitherto realised there was a space, suspended there. Makes me want to keep talking about it, trying to pin it down; but I don't think I'm going to. Perhaps I ought to leave it for now. I'll say somewhat about its longevity whensoever I can.

Oh! BtW, I haven't forgotten, in all my musing about osmanthus, that there's other stuff in this 'fume; and moreover that osmanthus is not even the chief note (honey pomelo is, at least according to the contributors here). So I do realise I might have gotten it wrong, and that the qualities in this 'fume I fondly imagine imparted by it are infact imparted elsewise. But I am as I said, interpolating; and I now quite strongly feel I have discerned what °osmanthus° 'fumes have in common; and also it is consistent with what I have read of osmanthus, both in terms of explicit descriptions of it, and in terms of observing the difficulty many have framing such description. But I have as yet have an awfully long way to go, note-analysis-wise.

5.0 5.0 6.0/10

Light and Friendly, in a word: Osmanthus
For a couple of years I've been trying to develop a concept of osmanthus, which has proven inordinately difficult to do because whenever it is combined with any stronger note--that is, any other note!--the stronger note shrouds the identity of osmanthus from my nose. I do not believe that my failure to further refine my concept today through wearing Ormonde Jayne OSMANTHUS has been adversely affected by the fact that I recently wore three tuberose bombs back-to-back. No, I started with clean skin and an empty nose, and still I find that osmanthus lacks, well, substance.

OJ OSMANTHUS opens with a bright and cheery citrus before becoming what most niche-house osmanthus-named perfumes end up being for me: high-quality, natural-smelling fruity-floral frags. My distinct impression is that osmanthus is a sort of prêt-à-porter fruity-floral composition. Light and ever-so-slightly fruity and a bit sweet, but not sugary. This blend is certainly pleasant, and I do believe that jasmine and waterlily are present, but all I can muster up to say about this perfume is: nice.

I do not find OSMANTHUS very distinctive, but it might be a perfect choice for someone who likes to blend in with the crowd and makes a conscious effort never to offend. (Not really my profile...)

by Punx13
by Punx13

Popular Ormonde Jayne

Ormonde Man (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Vanille d'Iris (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Ormonde Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne 2. Nawab of Oudh Parfum by Ormonde Jayne Tolu (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Ta'if (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Isfarkand (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne 4. Montabaco Parfum by Ormonde Jayne Zizan (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Black Gold by Ormonde Jayne Orris Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Frangipani (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Ambre Royal by Ormonde Jayne 4. Montabaco Intensivo by Ormonde Jayne 2. Nawab of Oudh Intensivo by Ormonde Jayne Champaca (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Tiare (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Osmanthus (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Sampaquita (Eau de Parfum) by Ormonde Jayne Rose Gold by Ormonde Jayne