Very helpful Review
An 80's postcard
From 'Dalida's GiGi L'Amoroso' song:
"Here comes Gigi l'Amoroso! Master of love, with a velvet eye like a caress, Gigi l'Amoroso always a winner, sometimes a bit heartless, but never without a tender touch.
Everywhere, it was a feast when he sang 'Zazà', 'Luna Caprese', or 'O sole mio'.
Gigi Giuseppe, but everyone called him Gigi l'Amoroso and women were crazy about him, all of them! The wife of the baker, who closed her shop every Tuesday to go... The wife of the notary who was a real saint, and who had never cheated on her husband beforehand... And the colonel's widow! The colonel's widow no longer in mourning because he didn't like black. All of them, I say, even myself, but I... Gigi liked his freedom so much, until the day when..."
Like Gigi, Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui is gorgeous, complex, fantastic and masculine.
Great for almost any occasion but not really for hot sunny days.
I love it, my wife loves it... so I can only consider it a "must have" masterpiece.
Upon initial spray, it comes on quite bold and masculine. The opening is dominated by lavender and aldehydes, with nuances of piney juniper.
The heart notes will sustain the fragrance complexity. You receive another accords avalanche including florals and earthy patchouli and vetiver. The scent becomes a bit sweeter without losing the masculine vibe.
The base notes stress the manly pace of this perfume. You get a very lovable dry down with a strong leather and oakmoss - notes of the 80's - plus s hint of amber to civilize the scent a bit.
Woods are perceived all through the development.
In terms of longevity it's kind of beasty. Longevity is good enough for 12~14 hours with 3 sprays. You may over spray a bit - not more than 4 sprays - for a bigger sillage.
This EDT smells expensive and manly - like the archetype of a handsome Italian man that we may picture in fancy Amalfi or Positano. It is indeed a very nice juice and one of a kind with its proper individuality.
Note: My bottle batch dates from 2015.
How confident can you be with "Pour Lui"?:
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Opening: 8.5 (the masculine trend is set with a clean and soapy whiff of lavender, aldehydes, a bit of juniper and a warm spices feeling)
- Drydown : 9.0 (a party of oakmoss, leather and earthy notes; very "gentleman")
- Longevity: 9.0 (it does perform differently in different type of skins; my bottle dates from two batches ago and lasts more than 12 hours in my skin with 3 sprays)
- Sillage: 8.0 (6 to 8 feet radius, 2.5 hours projection, with 3 sprays)
- Exclusivity: 8.0 (VC&A Pour Homme, Antaeus, Kouros, Bogart for Men, Quorum and Patou are fragrances all in the same trail of "Pour Lui"; They don't need to be similar, but they evoque the same feelings; Nevertheless "Pour Lui" is still very unique)
- Usability: 7.0 (It's preferable to use it in winter and at night time; you may use in colder fall and spring occasions as well)
- Versatility: 8.5 (If the image you seek is of a confident and handsome male, you may use in any occasion; Gym and beach are out of the question)
- Praise: 8.0 (You will catch the ladies attention for sure)
- Quality: 8.5 (my batch is better than some more recent batches i tried)
- Presentation: 8.5 (simple and effective: very 80's style)
- Price: 10,0 (I bought mine for 18 Euros.... a real bargain)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating: 8.45/10,00
- between 7 and 8 = above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recommended;
- greater than 9 = don't hesitate;
Recommendation: This is one perfume I don't want to miss in my closet (yes, I have a backup). There will exist always some occasions where you want to scent like the smart alfa male of the evening, in a discrete and elegant way.
Blind shopping? Yes, due to its current price, but only if you like manly old school fragrances.
I love this fragrance.
Music: Dalida - "Gigi L`Amoroso"