Volupté (1992) Eau de Toilette

Volupté (Eau de Toilette) by Oscar de la Renta
Bottle Design: Pierre Dinand

Volupté (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Oscar de la Renta for women and was released in 1992. The scent is floral-fruity. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesFreesia, Mandarin, Melon, Mimosa, Osmanthus
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Heliotrope, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Patchouli, , Frankincense

Submitted by Loreley, last update on 13.06.2019

Fitting for a Bond girl
Oh my, I lOVE it. And it is a real power house. I kind of underestimated its power yesterday. I am trigger friendly, and this needs to be applied really carefully. Strangely when I originally got it 6 months ago I was not too impressed and put it to the side for all this time. Yesterday I thought: "I don't really remember what this smells like. I know I was not over the moon, but let's just get the memory cells working here and try it again." And oh my Gosh, yesterday I went crazy over this juice. I am not sure if my body chemistry changed during these 6 months, or maybe it's just because the weather is different, but now I cannot even fathom why it was not instant love. It is truly feminine, interesting, not too warm, but also not harsh. Peppy, with enough sweetness and freshness, somewhat ladylike but with a very young vibe. It makes me feel younger than my real age, but begs to be worn with full blown, 60's style, sultry makeup, the Brigitte Bardot kind of makeup style, with nude lipstick that plumps up your lips and dramatic eye shadows (smoky eyes with purple, green or gray eye shadow and black smudged eyeliner.) Volupte is superb. It's the kind of perfume I envision a sexy "James" Bond girl would wear.
7.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

I smell yellow...
How does yellow smell?
To me it smells like Volupté, for Volupté is a million suns burning in a bottle, blooming like yellow and white incandescent cosmic flowers, embroidered in the huge dark canvas of the space between the stars.
Most of the time we tend to forget that down-to-earth matters are still floating in a microscopic speck of cosmic dust swirling in the most farflung rims of a rather tiny galaxy.
If there was some fictitious fusion between the sci-fi and cloak and dagger genres, this would be the treasure waiting for the audacious adventurer in the end.
This is what Conan the Barbarian would risk his life for, in order to seize it from its rare earth august pedestal, facing either monstrous sentinels or grids of death rays all the way.
And while its abstract shape would have probably looked incomprehensible to his barbaric mind, the walnut-sized emerald on its top, beaming mesmerising memories of dense humid forests and lost cities, would have made it irresistible to his ravenous eyes.
I can't decide whether its bottle depicts a very primitive or a highly stylised bust of some long-forsaken goddess.
In its golden fathomless depths I can see the voluptuous charms of a barbarian queen ruling on some lush corner of an exo-planet, totally unaware that she's been monitored by eyes coming from thousands of light-years away. Eyes belonging to a deep-space plunderer named something like Carmen Sandiego, whose scent is oscillating like a pulsar for all eternity. Volupte is both these women and each of them is fiercely tantalising in her own unique way.
And while its top notes are scorching supernovas wreaking effulgent splendour on the dark and frozen extremities of the macrocosm, its base note is tears shed for something dear and long gone. And although you can hardly recall what it was, its absence still ravages your heart.
Somewhere in the background a melancholic voice is singing:
"For a moment you could not recall the colour of her eyes..."
And I stand terrified by the unbearable veracity these words are carrying.
10.0 10.0 9.0/10

Discount Darling
Think a slightly more sophisticated Cabotine and you've got the idea of this beauty, languishing at the discounters for next to nothing these days. Impoverished nobility that it is--never mind that the cap cracked and shed a chunk as I opened it. Volupté once walked the red carpet on the necks of movie stars and did the London season on titled handkerchiefs, I'm sure. It's still a green floral wonder of a darling with a rich base and a yummy fruity mellow top.
7.0 7.0 6.0 7.0/10

Alive and kicking
Well, finally I willingly let Volupté run me over.

After the first violent blast, which I now happily endure, one gets rewarded with a generous, multi-layered green heart.
With two mini's already in my cabinet, a bottle of edt, bodycream and yet another miniature ordered and on their way, I consider myself in a fine state to embrace the new year.
5.0 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

A tribute to Oscar
Heard the sad news that Oscar had passed away today so I sprayed this on as a sort of tribute. I really like this one a lot it is very pleasing to the nose with hints of soft spicy ness and bold florals.not so much a powerhouse but a strong scent that is captivating. Silage is thumping for an edt. Also great value for money!
10.0 6.5/10

Yellow Trésor
No fruits, no green...on me it is flowery and yellow.
As someone else said similar to Tresor.
The nose of Volupte is Sophia Grojsman that also made
Tresor this is why it is similar.
7.5 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Big Sexy Sillage Monster
This is one of those 80's/90's sillage monsters that I love so much. It smells like sex in a bottle. I have to wear this with a slinky dress and heels because it's too sexy for jeans. It instantly boosts my confidence when I apply this spicy floral concoction, but a little goes a long way. More than a spray or two would give me a headache on a bad day or night. I wouldn't change that though. I love the headiness of it.

I know it's not for everyone, but those who love this, adore it, and there are a lot of us. Give it a go, you may end up one of us.
5.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

A Dream Scent
From the first sniff Volupte and I are in love...It's serious, mutual and it will last...I know.

A gorgeous peach note (I know the peach isn't listed, but on other sites the members listed it and I can clearly smell it too) mixed with a warm vanilla and an aura of amber is the first thing that enchants me...It's very yummy! Think Pêche Melba with plump juicy peaches and a rich vanilla ice-cream. *YUM!* Yet it's not a gourmand -I am wearing food- feeling, but rather a yummy floriental.
Right after this grand opening the heliotrope and mimosa give it a powdery vibe, yet the fruity notes balance the powdery ones out, Volupte is neither too sweet or too powdery - it's just right.

The middle stage reveals a mysterious ylang-ylang and freesia mixed with an earthy sandalwood....The dry-down is a soft sweet (NOT cloying!) oriental that is absolutely stunning!

I was always told that Volupte is a 'clone' of Tresor - well, Tresor and my skin don't like each other and as a result I have always ignored Volupte. The fact that Sophia Grosjman made both scents only enhanced my belief that they were most likely too identical. Lucky me that I finally tested it and immediately bought a 100ML bottle! It's that stunning on mu skin. Volupte will have a permanent place in my collection. It fills the room and it keeps evolving from one gorgeous stage to another into to a magical dry down, I only regret not have discovered this one sooner. I absolutely love it!

The lesson in this is: Even if it's a supposed to be a clone of something that doesn't work with your chemistry and made by the same nose...TEST it on your skin! You might miss out on something that was always there waiting for you to discover it. Every time I wear it I get stopped by people asking me what that gorgeous scent is. It's a child of the 90s and not many people use it..in fact I've never smelled it on anybody else. Wonderful! I love smelling divine and unique for a fraction of the price of todays niche & designer scents, what more can I ask for? ; )

Silage is: A divine warm and fresh, slightly sweet floriental - Longevity is: 10 plus hours in which it will reveal an amazing dry down. A MUST try! I can only recommend it. Good luck! : )
7.5 7.5 5.0/10

Heavy, complex floral
This fragrance gets quite a bit of love on the perfume forums. Volupte, while floral, is quite bold and ambery, a scent that will either charm you or revolt you.

It starts off okay, with a strong yet feminine floral opening, with a hint of sweet melon. As it settles it becomes sweeter and in some ways, harsher.

The complexity is pleasing, however I must admit that I found this fragrance too heavy on the sweet accords and the floral notes, especially in the heart. It's rich, thick aroma is one that will appeal to those with an acquired taste. I just didn't have the taste for this one.

The sillage and longevity are commendable, and before this begins to sound like a negative review, I do find this fragrance very unique and interesting.

It wasn't so strong that I felt like I was choking, yet it was one that made me feel a little dizzy every now and then, and I really applied lightly. The drydown was lovely however, a beautiful, powdery amber and incense blend with just a subtle hint of what had been featured before.
10.0 5.0 7.5 8.0/10

A stylish green from Sophia Grojsman
I was surprised to find that Volupté was launched in 1992, as the stylish bottle and the stylized floral scent both strike me as "Mad Men" 1960s. I am struck first by green notes and cucumber, then violet and heliotrope, with some gentle woods toward drydown. It is a well-mannered perfume, not particularly voluptuous in my book. A good work fragrance.

by EvaK