Black XS 2005 Eau de Toilette

Black XS (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne
Black XS (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Paco Rabanne for men and was released in 2005. The scent is sweet-fruity. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation

Olivier Cresp

Top Notes Top NotesCalamondin, Sage, Tagetes, Calabrian lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesBlack cardamom, Praliné, Tolu balm, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesBlack amber, Ebony, Patchouli, Rosewood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.04.2021.

The bottle was re-designed in 2018.

Kelloggs Frosties and Blue Ice Cream
Black XS is one of those scents that sometimes makes me wonder why my beloved likes it so much. Black XS is sweet, very sweet. It's a scent that, at first whiff, doesn't quite seem to fit into his collection. Black XS is something he bought for himself. During our recent Ibiza holiday in 2019, and it's not his first bottle.

So slowly I think I understand what he finds in this sweet little fruit. In the pyramid, I only see Hesperides listed as far as fruits go, but my husband says smells like strawberry, which I can actually relate to in a way. Wasn't it dear Taurus1967 who had that association as well? Fruit notes can mess with your head sometimes. I'm no different. Josier's Magnolia, which I think is wonderful, is also supposed to have only lemon in it. Yet I definitely smell cassis. Anyway.

It's probably the cardamom, which is why I don't find the scent as bad as other sugar waters for the gentleman. I actually almost always like to sniff cardamom on my husband and it comes through quite nicely here. Other than that, I'm afraid I can't clearly identify any of the notes mentioned here in Black XS. The scent is quite simple, mainly synthetic, but without ambroxan-baller, and quite sweet. Patchouli? Rather not, I would say. Wood and amber? OK, BUT MOSTLY IT SMELLS LIKE FRUIT. But mainly smells halt after fruit and - yes - strawberries. I agree with him.

Since last weekend, I seem to have fathomed what he likes so much about this sweet perfume. A visit to his parents was in the offing. And Mr. Polly, who had been wearing his two Kerosenes for most of the previous days, pluckily reached for Black XS. Why do you think? Well, his mother has a soft spot for whole foods. This was particularly pronounced when he was a child. For him and his brother, there were no Kelloggs Frosties but home-ground granola. Ice cream in bright pop colors? Forbidden. It's unhealthy. Yet blue ice cream in particular still magically attracts him to this day. And if grandparents or other relatives ever brought candy, it was usually confiscated and given only in homeopathic doses.

And that's probably why it has to be Black XS one when he visits his parents. So that he can olfactorily tell his mom, "today I get to, ouch!" And I can so relate!

As lousy as the fragrance is rated here, it is not. Of course, you can not expect great fragrance art. But he also hurts no one. He has, by the way, a quite pronounced sillage and also hold he does neatly. You have to give it that. A grip in the loo of Olivier Cresp, as often chalked up here, this was not at all. I would him but now also not necessarily repurchase. Kelloggs Frosties and blue ice cream. And yes, you have earned that!

MirzAsim
Moderate projection of sweet, citrus, spices, and gourmand notes...
This is awesome, one of my favorites, I find even though it does not seem to be listed in the notes this smells a lot like grape, it's one of those scents that for some reason brings nostalgic candy scents back to mind.

It is sweet but I would say also fresh, and very safe could be worn at night or day, I say safe because even though it is sweet, it does not last.

Sillage is great at first but tends to die down quite quickly, and so does the smell in general.

Because of that, I don't wear it all, the number of resprays needed for it to be noticeable all day you would run out of a bottle quite quickly and I like it too much to do that lol.

I think if you like Valentino Uomo born in Roma you would like this, they are not too similar in scent but of the same variety and type. Maybe Invictus and Invictus legend too, however, if you are a fan of one million looking for something new definitely test this first as it is quite different and do not expect the same performance.

I find it super sexy though, I should probably state.

Sweet Nocturnal Perfume
This fragrance opens with fresh feeling ,the reason for this is a fresh Mediterranean lemon scent. This fragrance is then accompanied by a floral fresh sage fragrance.

The aura of the opening notes takes me somewhere else when I close my eyes. I dream of a greenery, windy village by the sea.
The wind brings me the scent of fresh lemon and sage ; it's a floral and fresh fragrance.
That's why I loved the opening of this perfume.

This fragrance passes to the heart notes after about 3 or 4 hours. Here this fragrance takes on a sweet and woody character .The woody fragrance, which is mild at the opening, becomes more evident in the heart notes. From then on, the perfume continues to maintain its dominant woody scent. And the main character of the perfume is revealed.Base notes smell sweety woody and sweet rosewood.
Absolutely versatile fragrance.

This odor is very pleasant and sweet .I think the reason it's sweet is cinnamon and praline.
I'm sure it has a remarkable smell. I advise... :)

General character :
Bit synthetic and dark
Sweet
Soft
Gourmand
Woody
Definitely mysterious and sexy

It is also a great fragrance for nightlife.

Sillage :3 /7
The longevity is above-average. Longevity: 5/7

Lasted on my skin as a skin scent around 20+ hours.
Wild party nights in Barcelona
The scent of my youth - Celebrate at 36 degrees until 5 o'clock at night in Barcelona as if there was no tomorrow, in the hip clubs of the city. Exactly in such situations as a night owl I loved my Black XS, because Black XS was just as fruity, fresh, cheeky and innocent as I felt and was comfortable. And it exuded a touch of luxury - well through the ebony, rosewood and pachouli. Today I wouldn't wear it anymore, because it looks far too immature to me with its smooth orange peel and its full-bodied, sweet Christmas aromas. But as a young man in the 20s, what do you have to lose? Just give it a shot, YOLO! Nice perfume for going out.

Brightstar
Great Versatile Fragrance (8.625/10)
The scent of this fragrance is quite musky-sweet. Its nice on the top notes and middle notes. The opening scent is too musky and not so nice. The top notes of this fragrance is quite similar to Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue.

The longevity of this fragrance is quite good.
For non 4-seasons countries, the longevity can be reach around 5-6 hours on day and extra longevity period is around 6-7 hours on evening and night.
For the 4-seasons countries, the longevity is around 6-7 hours.

Performance
The performance of this fragrance is quite good too. On the very opening, the musky is quite strong. When come to the top and middle notes, the sweetness scent will take over and its smell soft and gentle. The projection of the scent is very nice especially on the top and middle notes. The different characters of scents are performing differently on each notes stages. Its a good choice for a daily use.

The sillage is good either in close or open spaces, especially on opening, top, and middle notes.

Uniqueness
The uniqueness of this fragrance is okay, especially on the middle notes. On opening and top notes, the scent quite similar to Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue. Plus, the uniqueness of the promotion, the bottle and the scent will give a quite surprise to the audience. Totally different.

Bottle Design
The bottle design of this fragrance is okay and with its own identity. Its like a drama, the bottle design is totally different than its scent. That is the main identity of Paco Rabanne Black XS.

GabrielCupim
Versatile, but you can find better scents at it's price
Yes, it's "sweet" indeed, as most people say.
It's also soft and calm, nothing like One Million bomb.

Both opening and dry down smells very alike, there's not much of a difference, like those fragrances that changes a lot after a few minutes.

My thought at this scent it that it's discret, but fancy at the same time.

It does project at a good rate, but its scent it's so soft and clean that people do not feel "invaded".

Lasted a good 6-8hrs on my skin, projected for 3-4.
A very vesatile fragrance, that one would use for almost any ocasion.

Good flanker
Lots of caramel with a touch of lemon and some woods.

Young scent for clubbing.

Sweet and heavy, it's great, despite i prefer the original version.

Great lasting power and sillage.

Updated January 2014

The marvel of Norlimbanol
Allow me to start this review by quoting Chandler Burr, from the New York Times T-Style magazine, August 27 2006:

"Black XS is elegant, refined and contemporary, an unplaceable scent, at once warming and cooling, and instantly mesmerizing, like a compulsively listenable rock album. (Olivier) Cresp used three terrific synthetics: the amazing Norlimbanol, which gives you the hypnotic smell of absolute desiccation (imagine the scent of total dryness); Z11, an utterly lovely dry wood scent; and Muscenone, an expensive synthetic musk that is creamy, voluptuous, powdery and amazingly deep — it builds and builds."

I have a certain fascination with the 'true' ingredients used in fragrances. It's all very well to look at a pyramid and see things like Lemon, Ebony, Praliné, Musk and so forth ... but at the end of the day, pretty much everything that we smell in fragrances of the last century is made up of the clever manipulation of molecules ... synthetics derived from nature by various processes involving 'headspacing' and all sorts of fractal extraction methods. The word 'synthetic' imho should be taken to mean man-'made' and not man-'created', because ultimately most (if not all) of the aromas used in fragrance creation already exist in nature at a molecular level. Now, I'm no chemist and I don't allude to a pervading understanding of how it all works, except for the fact that I am fascinated by where all of it comes from.
To assuage some of this interest, I recently ordered a kit online made up of aroma chemicals used in perfumery, and I can tell you that Mr. Burr has his information spot on! I am testing the raw material and the finished fragrance side by side ... Paco Rabanne's Black XS contains a solid dose of Norlimbanol, giving it the cool, dry, desiccated underscoring that this ingredient has become famous for. It's probably what the note pyramid is referring to as 'Ebony' and 'Patchouli'.
I have another chemical in the set called Auranone which contains the expensive Muscenone referred to in Burr's article ... and this one is definitely also present in Black XS.

I have always liked this fragrance ... from the very day that I first tested and bought it on the spot! Yes, it has a reputation for belonging in 'teen'-dom, but I don't really care because I do find it elegant and refined. I love that it is sweet and dry and woodsy all at the same time! However 'mainstream' this fragrance may be (earning the scoff of many a fume head) ... Olivier Cresp was rocketed to perfumery celebrity by this release. That has to count for something ... I, for one, find myself respecting his ingenuity.

Turn the box of your newly acquired gem over sometime and take a peep at the ingredients ... where the word 'parfum' is listed, you can be pretty sure that it is a formula made up mostly of synthetics.

Black cherries
"Knowing the desire of some women to wear men’s fragrances, it can be said that no woman would dare to wear Black XS despite its soft and warm woodsy notes and even sweet notes of the drydown", (taken from a description on another website). Well if that's what you think, bring it!

Before spritzing this fragrance on to a piece of card, the sales assistant informed me that Black XS had a prominent cherry accord making it very sweet. Although cherry is not listed in the notes, the sales assistant was right, there is a definite candied cherry and berry accord.

Don't be persuaded by the marketing scheme, Black XS can be unisex. It's sweet in the way that Joop! Homme is sweet. The syrupy notes of cherry and lemon are rich and strong in a way that does suit a man's skin, however the middle and base notes that look threateningly masculine to the ordinary reader, is not so on the skin.

The drydown is a mixture of slightly earthy patchouli and soft rosewood. It sits rather delicately on both my boyfriend's skin and my own. The scent actually loses most of its strength in the heart, where it tends to settle into a light, almost non-existant woodsiness.

The scent lingers for a relatively long time, however the sillage is pretty weak. I wanted this fragrance to have just that tad more strength so it could really strike me with its loud, rock n' roll slash gothic undertones.

BrightstarBrightstar 3 years ago
Versatile fragrance that will give a great surprise to the audience. The promotion, bottle design, and the scent are totally different.

Wann wird der Sperrmüll endlich abgeholt? Für Fresh #Verschleiß
by YKem
by Thecombad
by Thecombad

Popular Paco Rabanne

1 Million Privé by Paco Rabanne La Nuit (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne 1 Million Lucky by Paco Rabanne Ténéré (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne Paco Rabanne pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne La Nuit (Eau de Parfum) by Paco Rabanne Calandre (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne Mētāl (Parfum) by Paco Rabanne Olympēa Intense by Paco Rabanne Olympēa Legend by Paco Rabanne Ultrared Man by Paco Rabanne Olympēa (Eau de Parfum) by Paco Rabanne 1 Million Absolutely Gold by Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet Man (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne Calandre (Eau de Parfum) by Paco Rabanne Lady Million Absolutely Gold by Paco Rabanne 1 Million Parfum by Paco Rabanne Invictus Aqua (2018) by Paco Rabanne Invictus Aqua (2016) by Paco Rabanne XS pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne