Paco Rabanne pour Homme 1973 Eau de Toilette

Paco Rabanne pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand
Paco Rabanne pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Paco Rabanne for men and was released in 1973. The scent is green-spicy. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation

Jean Martel

Top Notes Top NotesClary sageClary sage RosewoodRosewood RosemaryRosemary
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeraniumGeranium LavenderLavender Tonka beanTonka bean
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber OakmossOakmoss HoneyHoney MuskMusk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.05.2022.

manlyscents
I consider it a flanker to the vintage PRPH
This is the reformulated version of the 48 year old rugged spicy green classic. It's substantially different from the vintage, much soapier, and much less mossy... different enough to be considered a flanker in my opinion. With that in mind I can appreciate the reformulated Paco as an Irish Spring soap bomb powerhouse that I prefer to Sung Homme.

Warning: If you're looking to replace an empty bottle of vintage Paco, you'll probably be better off with Fragrances of Ireland Patrick.

Masculinity Level: Charles Bronson chopping wood with an axe in The Magnificent Seven.

GeorgeReid
A Classic Scent from the Era that Gave Us ... Pet Rocks and the Brady Bunch?
When thinking of the 1970s, certain things come up often. The first Star Wars movie. Instant cameras from Polaroid. Saturday Night Fever. Learning from School House Rock.

Now, imagine a masculine fragrance that is reminiscent of the era.

Did Paco Rabanne Pour Homme come to mind? It probably did, as it was an incredibly popular masculine fragrance from that era, (and the fragrance that put Paco Rabanne on the map).

That said, there is a reason it was such an amazing fragrance that is still available for purchase today.

----

The first time I smelled Paco Rabanne Pour Homme (PRPH), the immediate thought that came to mind was, "It's like a barbershop!"

For men, that is almost always a good association—usually reminiscent of gentlemen preparing to look their best while speaking openly about a variety of topics, or a young kid receiving solid advice from an adult.

The top notes of rosewood, rosemary, and sage create an initial sharp fougeré smell with some spice.

The mid notes of lavender and geranium, and the base notes of amber and oakmoss extend the freshness of the fougeré as the spiciness fades away into a smoother freshness that lasts for the duration of the fragrance.

----

The one enormous complaint that I have for PRPH is for the 200 ml bottle. The cap does not cover the atomizer. Using the provided cap means swapping between it and the atomizer, which makes air exposure more likely, and can reduce the shelf life of the fragrance.

The best ways to handle it are to leave the atomizer on, and keep the fragrance uncapped (which can also reduce shelf life, but not as greatly as constant switching), find/create a cap that fits the atomizer, or decant the fragrance into a different bottle.

For this reason, even if PRPH is an excellent deal at the 200 ml price, I recommend getting the 100 ml bottle, where this issue is not present, but one still gets the look and feel of the 1970s from the bottle.

----

In terms of performance, PRPH is slightly above average for an eau de toilette.

The sillage and projection are slightly noticeable. No one will notice the fragrance when you enter the room, but people will pick it up if you pass by them, or if you stand near them long enough.

The longevity also lasts slightly longer than one would expect from an EdT—the fragrance is good for about six hours before one needs to apply it again. It can get you through a day in the office, through several sets at the gym, or (if you are a risk-taker) on a date night. However, like any EdT, do not expect PRPH to last throughout an entire day.

Performance is slightly weaker in the winter months, but it is not exactly a deal-breaker. However, PRPH does its best work in the mild spring and autumn months and works adequately in the summer without overwhelming everyone in the room.

----

As far as uses go, the sillage and projection make PRPH an excellent office scent—most people will think that someone just take great care of their hygiene, and should add to one's confidence.

However, it excels the most when used as a leisure or a gym fragrance, when a man simply just wants to smell fresh after a rigorous workout or going on a quick errand, without annoying everyone around him with an obnoxiously strong fragrance.

That said, this fragrance is questionable as an evening or date night scent. Because PRPH is a 1970s classic, it could remind a date of an older male figure in her life. That is always a mixed roll of the dice, where the fragrance can become anything from jet engines that make a night significantly smoother, to cement blocks that sink the night before it can leave the port.

----

Overall, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is a solid fragrance that can easily be a part of any man’s basic collection, and in my honest opinion, is a requirement for anyone looking into popular classics from different eras.

In terms of practicality, I do not recommend this fragrance for young men seeking a fragrance to garner compliments or attention. PRPH is like coming out of a fresh shower or bath, or straight from the barbershop after a fresh haircut or shave. Few get complimented because smelling like one takes care of themselves is not something remarkable—it is something everyone should do!

However, if a middle age or older gentleman seeks a fragrance that evokes positive memories or brings forth confidence, or if anyone seeks an office or downtime scent that differs from the oud, sweet, and aquatic fragrances in the current era, PRPH is deserving of heavy consideration.
I know you
A few days ago Salva had written to this fragrance already very many beautiful words, which have prompted me to order me Paco Rabanne pour homme, because I thought, the is certainly so good, the mussssss I have :-)

Now the package arrived and - surprise, I know him yet.
However, that is quite a few decades ago, so I had forgotten all about it.

After repeated Testerei I must say, the fragrance corresponds fully to my Beuteschema.
Not only the bottle is green, but also the contents stahlt a green freshness from the beautiful herbal top note, combined with lavender.
After a while, it smells additionally mildly of roses, or just a delicate floral aroma that reminds me of roses, combined with the mossy character and the really well-dosed oak moss. I don't notice anything of musk now, but it's better that way, because if there's too much of it, I don't like it that much. And how tonka bean smells, I honestly do not know at all.

A modern classic, if I may put it that way, and a very masculine fragrance, but I myself also like very well, a really successful fragrance composition.
However, I think that will not belong to me alone, if my husband gets him only once in the fingers. :-)
It works (still)
The year 2021 brings fragrance-technically so much. However, the question often arises, the majority wants these fragrances at all? I guess for younger (15-25) might fit the exaggerated sweet assortment well, since some intrusive things are there to stand out at wild parties.

One (s) gets older, then comes the time, at least it was with me so the case, as one no longer has so much interest in the sweet party fragrances, or I find very rarely an occasion to wear them. Fortunately then (still) scents hide in the shelf of the perfumery with which I would have at that time still wrinkled the nose, meanwhile I'm glad that there are such oldschooler like the paco, or Kouros still, even if they are no longer the same as before.
I can still enjoy two copies with real oak moss and wear them honestly more often than any other.

New releases, vorallem in the oriental and niche area are partly nice, but a good feeling sets itself with me nevertheless only with the good old fragrances. Paco rabanne pour homme will always remain for me an unforgotten fragrance jewel, even if he disappears at some point completely
Paco's only men's fragrance
My reason for this review is of course my enthusiasm for this wonderfully masculine 1973 perfume. For some time I have namely intended to write a few lines to Paco Rabanne's only men's fragrance (men is deliberately written in capital letters, something about this later). On the other hand, however, my last test of a fragrance from this house has brought the stone to roll, if you like. Because this test was for me, as with eig. (almost) every fragrance of Señor Rabanne, simply for the Katz.

(Note: This was the new release of this year with the crazy name "Phantom" and the even more ingenious bottle ... Who would like to know my opinion to this smell, please once under the statements belonging to this smell read up).

[...]

Well then, who is this Paco Rabanne?

Behind the name is a Basque fashion designer from San Sebastián in the north of Spain, whose real name is Francisco Rabaneda Cuervo and his company "Paco Rabanne SAS" in 1965 fulfilled a dream of independence and which is still on the market today, although since 1987 belongs entirely to the cosmetics group "Puig"
Born in 1934, thus shortly before the Spanish civil war of 1936 - '39, Rabanne grew up however under poor conditions with its mother, who had been active at the time as a dressmaker with the enterprise "Balenciaga S.A." had been active.
To give her son a better future, she fled with him after the end of the Spanish Civil War in 1939 to Paris.
"Better future" must be seen here, however, of course relatively, because, as is known, raged or began worldwide at this time the 2nd Great World War...

Despite all circumstances and resistance, however, Rabanne used his chance in France and studied architecture from 1952. Along the way, he pursued his hobby and made the futuristic fashion sketches for famous Parisian houses that were so characteristic of him. He was also enthusiastic about
the Constrictivism and Science Fiction in general.
After graduation, he worked as a freelancer for Cardin and Givenchy. The foundation of his own company then followed - as mentioned - in the mid-1960s...

The international breakthrough, however, he succeeded in 1968 with the costume design of the science fiction feature film "Barbarella", in which he - among other things for Oscar winner Jane Fonda in the leading role - designed the skin-tight catsuit for her.

And along with Yves Saint Laurent, he is still considered one of the most style-defining designers of the 1960s ever.

[...]

If you now look at the fragrances Paco Rabanne's and compare, you quickly find that this 1973 Pour Homme totally out of line, and in the absolutely positive sense, as I find.

And my following description refers to the newer version, because my flacon is from this year.

This begins quite herbaceous-spicy with clearly perceptible clary sage, to which for my nose additional smelling rosemary also contributes. This provides a tart aroma, which provides an overall great herb-fresh-spicy aroma at the beginning. Because this herb-fresh chord keeps the fragrance in the further course, while the herbaceous-spicy withdraws quickly.

Because as soon as the clary sage disappears, I perceive lavender, but only very gently in the background. This provides a - for my sensation - delicate soapy chord. Still dominates but for my nose the rosemary.

To the base, however, this rosemary makes room for the green (oak) moss, which is an essential character of this fragrance. And to the green base can be detected for me a tiny hint of sweet honey in the background, which rounds off the fragrance wonderfully.
Musk or amber I personally do not smell out.

[...]

I personally think a fragrance of this kind is particularly great in spring and autumn applicable. Although you could wear him also (actually) all year round on any occasion without any problems.

With about 5h endurance, my bottle has about an average durability. The sillage is only in the first hour pretty space-filling as I find, after that he becomes increasingly skin.

[...]

Conclusion:

The very most for my gender comrades launched perfumes from the house Rabanne's contain dominant fruity-sweet notes, which are probably ostensibly younger clientele (U 30) to address. However, these are exactly the kind of fragrances, with which I personally could never do anything (not even with U 30).

This expressive Fougère but here rightly carries the epithet Pour Homme, because here is everything that the classic men's heart desires.

Tart-spicy herbs, aromatic-soapy-mossy freshness.

A fragrance for me. For unadulterated classic lovers.

For all who do not blindly follow any trends.

Thank you for reading!

My previous signature scent
During the COVID-19 quarantine in 2020 for some reason i stumbled upon a video that showed classic old school "macho man" masculine colognes. I got obsessed with it and did a lot of research on there and that pretty much meant my entry into the fragrance world. To not make the story that long, when the quarantine "ended" here in Mexico in July 2020 and i finally could get out of my house, i went to my local clone perfumery and asked for several of the colognes that i had in mind. My mom then bought for me two 1oz bottles of two different scents, which ended up being Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir and this one, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. That clone was heavy on lemon in the opening, i think it lacked lavender and pretty much did not have the characters of the original frag. A couple of months passed and i smelled the original fragrance and then found a clone that was spot on. I bought it because i went crazy with that kinda talcum powder green smell, and had some really nice times with it, a date with a girl my age, and an ocassion when i was smelling the cologne in a place i love while looking at the city and thinking that the smell of it was heavenly and i was in ecstasy.

The fragrance has an aromatic opening of rosemary, sage and a wood hint given by brazilian rosewood. I find that opening to be pretty loud (It could be smelled clearly by another person wearing a mask in a date) and i have to say it is a timeless opening and smells almost psychedelic, as the Paco Rabanne house character is, and its first fragances like Calandre, XS, and Ultraviolet, to name a few, do have this kind of psychedelic tone to them. The heart shows a pretty warm, fuzzy lavender, with some tonka bean as well, smelling as shaving foam or stuff. There are a couple of transition notes from the heart to the base, these are honey and amber. The far drydown of the fragrance smells like a straight pine soap, as the combination of oakmoss and musk, two of the most important notes on the fragrance. I imagine a pretty elegant couple with the man wearing this frag while they are listening to barry white on a romantic evening or stuff, when smelling this perfume. A classic fougere with a sweet and aromatic twist to it. I will have to say that lately i lost the love for it, i find the sweetness to be pretty heavy and when combining with the aromatics, in heat smelling it makes me almost want to throw up because of the overwhelming sweetness. I don't know if the fragrance is unproperly cloned or what, but i am pretty sure the reformulated one is pretty sweet, modern in the sweetness it has. I am here not to hate on the Jean Martel masterpiece, which i am sure was quite different in its nuances to the current one.

bottom line: It is a fougere. If you like sweetness but want something more mature or different, this is your frag.

Only for men!
Francisco Rabaneda Cuervo has been a great stylist, known for his futuristic looks, but also his predictions and theories about reincarnation. He was born in the Spanish Basque Country. and his mother was a head seamstress at Cristóbal Balenciaga's studio. His father, a colonel in the Spanish Republican forces, was shot in 1939 by Franco's troops.

Starting the text this way, you can hardly imagine that I write about Paco Rabanne. Society recognizes him as an innovative stylist, but he was also called a futurist, mystic, crazy, Dada, sculptor, architect, astrologer, perfumer, artist, and prophet. After Paco Rabanne designed the futuristic "Barbarella" dresses made of PVC, leather, chain mail, and plastic leotards for Jane Fonda to wear, Coco Chanel said of him: "He's not a couturier. He's a metallurgist!"
Paco Rabanne Pour Homme was his first men's perfume, launched in 1973. It was so radically different from the citrus fragrances in vogue at the time that it quickly won over a legion of enthusiastic followers. In the 70s and 80s, it was normal to see a green bottle of Paco Rabanne in any stylish man's closet. It became an icon of an era and today many people still classify it as timeless. Several perfumes claim to be classified as timeless, when in fact they belong entirely to their own age, which after all is not a bad thing.
The smooth contours of this perfume are as symbolic of virility as Paco Rabanne was an irresistible agent of blunt and almost shocking charm. This behavior extended to his male models - rude, dark, and Latino - who have always been associated with strong masculinity. I have already stated several times that perfumes have no gender. This statement is difficult to support with a fragrance as masculine as this one.

Paco Rabanne pour Homme Eau de Toilette is the typical aromatic fougère for me, reminding me a little of the green landscape of ferns and shrubs, so typical of the native Donostia of Paco Rabanne. This sensation is intensified by notes of rosewood, laurel, sage, and rosemary that create a truly herbaceous fragrance. The characteristic strengths of a fougère are revealed by the heart of the perfume with bouquets of geranium and lavender. In the end, oakmoss, coumarin, amber, honey, and musk complete the fragrance with a somewhat sweet note.
I have to admit that I don't use this perfume much. Its aroma has become very familiar to me over several tens of years. I don't need to smell to feel it. It is almost enough for me to just visit my memory. However, I will never fail to have a bottle of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme in my closet, and I am happy to see many young people following my enthusiasm for this aroma, which is "so different" for them.

It's not easy to rate a half a century old icon:
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Opening: 8.5 (a green lovers delight with clary sage, rosemary, and lavender)
Drydown: 8.5 (fougère "finale" with a lot of oakmoss and hints of coumarin)
Longevity: 8.5 (up to 9 hours in my skin, with 3 sprays)
Sillage: 7.5 (5 feet sillage with 2.5 hours of projection; better if used on clothes)
Exclusivity: 9.0 (this scent is still unique and only shadowed by its extreme use during the '80s; Bogart Eau de Toilette - from 1975 - is somewhat similar but with leathery and smoky nuances)
Portability: 9.5 (all seasons, but better in Spring and Fall mild weather)
Versatility: 9.0 (leisure, office, daily wear...; not really gym or seaside)
Praise: 7.5 (almost everybody knows it; distinct but familiar)
Quality: 8.5 (above-average quality ingredients; a lot better with older batches)
Presentation: 8.0 (discreet)
Price: 8.0 (25 € / 100 ml for testers, and 35€ /100 ml for the regular bottle)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating: 8.41 / 10.00
between 7 and 8 = above average;
between 8 and 9 = recommended;
greater than 9 = don't miss it;

Opinion: A must if you like fougères and "old schools"
Recommended? If you are a man, you must have at least one bottle of it.
Blind buying worthy? Yes if you are over 40 years old. Younger people who never tried it should sample it first.

Music: Simon & Garfunkel - "Scarborough Fair"
Thunderstruck
I already buy Christmas presents now, because a) the shops are not overcrowded yet, and because b) there are still special offers to get hold of, which disappear as if by magic from November.

I'm not a money saver, but you can think economically yes.

So as a target I had my " Drummer Boy " in front of my eyes, who is cultivating the " shabby chic ", but still very quality conscious.

So I bought pour Homme blind - also trusting in the positive commission.

I spray - Thunderstruck is playing on the radio - and I am also stirred by thunder !
A true testosterone cloud lifts me out of my shoes !
Definitely masculine - but so what of.

That's where the shabby chic person turns out, because she's more for the quiet tones.

I think the pithy and stately Förstersmanni is better suited for this fragrance.
Nothing's gonna knock this giant over so fast.

The scent is not bad - you just have to be able to stand up to it.

Spices and mossy were not spared - and also lavender and some honey have their say.
The durability is also enormous.

With this fragrance, my forest friend can wander through the woods for hours - and the wild animals will avoid him as well.

I will offer Manni this impetuous scent - with the right of return.
Konsalik
Gold wedding at the clubhouse (I'm still looking forward to it!)
I love zero point scents. They don't do anything spectacularly new, different or ludicrous, but their high value lies in their suitability for a certain fragrance as the "original meter": everything that has to be in them is in them, in wonderfully balanced harmony and clarity; a real reference - at least for today's noses (anyone who can sniff the old trumper fragrances, for example, understands that reference values are also subject to long-wave change). Months ago I proclaimed "Pitralon Classic" as the "archetype meter" for discreet masculine aftershave - and Paco Rabanne pour Homme is, in a way, the logical continuation of the openly male, rough yet cultivated freshness, extended into the eau de toilette dimension
The actual design is a completely different one, since "PRpH" is considered a lexicon-ripe representative of the aromatic Fougères fragrance group: a strongly soapy-clean, rather surprise-free barbershop broadside greened with (synthetic) oak moss, lavender and southern spices. I felt directly reminded of Kouros at the first test, perhaps by the discreet honey. But where this with its (despite reformulation still!) strong animalism and clearer honey does not want to do at all so, as if it is particularly established and balanced, PRpH takes itself with all available Sillage and durability nevertheless airier, more discreetly and more transparently. You could even set up the equation: Kouros - (Animalic x Honey) + Green = P.R. pour Homme. In spite of the reduced construction, this is by no means a real "gentleman's fragrance", because it lacks the finesse for it; it always remains a little shirt-sleeved to petit bourgeois - which is, however, often good in everyday life. However, I can easily understand why this quiet hint of a gold wedding in the clubhouse has upset some reviewers. Who looks for a clearly refined, darker, more attracted variation of the same topic, becomes by the way with the still more great namesake from the house Van Cleef & Arpels find.

I know he used to be better (at least you can hear that everywhere). Oakmoos olé, I get it. But I don't like too strong oak moss at all and sometimes I can't stand it. Be it as it may, but this much I notice: Paco Rabanne has also succeeded in the new formulation of a fragrance in which it is not surprising that the comments here are so strikingly similar, at least on the description level: "Pour Homme" IS simply green, it IS simply spicy, it IS simply soapy. No more than that, but that's all and all - and that brings us back to Pitralon after all. Like I said, a cubic meter.
Minigolf
Welcome to the club of "incredible fragrances"!!....
...dear "Paco Rabanne Pour Homme". In the flea market business you stood in a showcase, together with other flacons, at the back and without outer packaging. Probably "newly arrived" from some cupboard of some private "shelf tenant" to bring his goods to the people. With customer number and handwritten price tag. A started 50 ml bottle, in which there are still approx. 40 ml in it. NO green glass, but kept neutral. Must be a vintage!!!
The salesgirl let me smell the spray head upstairs... "Whoa, cool!!! What a smell!!!
tart, almost powdery, green, spicy, thickly applied muscatel sage together with no less "fat" lavender and rosemary. A fragrance like a Mediterranean herb garden.
With a fine note of roses, certainly also iris root has been used.
Then it gets really mossy. A green mossy valley bottom in the early morning hours after nocturnal rain.
A very intense radiance for me emanates from this "old" Rabanne.
Almost incredible how the perfumers managed this "thing".
Hardly any other fragrance of this herby-green genre comes close to it.
At the very end of the fragrance there is a very pleasant woody "sweetness", a mixture of amber, moss, sandalwood and a flower. (I can't figure out exactly what it is) But indispensable for the fragrance. A grandiose, unbelievably "impossible" scent. Somehow "fallen out of time", but I'm wearing it!!!

GeorgeReidGeorgeReid 1 month ago
Already reviewed this fragrance, but adding that this is a fantastic layering scent that calms overly sweet or citrusy smells!
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 2 months ago
bold, harsh and bitter green. Very oldschool and definetly mature. Its very heavy on the herbal notes.
ChicoRoch1ChicoRoch1 7 months ago
If u can't afford or find a vintage bottle then don't bother
MatuxMatux 9 months ago
This smells to me like an intimate time with one's lover.
RobbieXRobbieX 9 months ago
A men's classic. Fresh, green, honey, mossy and gorgeous. A "must replace" when I run out.
StamatiosStamatios 12 months ago
One of the best green soapy fougeres in the market in a very decent price.Manly but not rowdy,very fresh,green and clean.Classic and classy!
KuraiKurai 1 year ago
The most fern-like in the ‘affordable’ section. Great herbal opening, classic green mid with a nice honey undertone, forgettable drydown
CaspikaarCaspikaar 1 year ago
Used to be great back in the days. Newer formulations smell chemical and odd after the drydown. Performance is very weak about 1-2hours.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 1 year ago
This classic masculine is a staple. Aromatic fougère with musk in the base. Not the easiest, neither the best, but great nonetheless. 4/5
EstbienlaEstbienla 1 year ago
Perfume of man...the true. Simply

5 generationen paco rabanne unter einem dach. zwei fehlen noch:-)
Noch ist Sommer
by Camey5000
alle generationen unter einem dach:-) 1973-2010.
by Couchlock
Rabanne pour homme - Ein zeitloser, frühlingsfrischer Klassiker.
by AromaTikka
Ein super Duft.
by 7vsChicago
by 7vsChicago
by MrNiceGuy
by MrNiceGuy
Süße, vegane Botanikfrische mit weißblumigem Charakter.
by AromaTikka
by Taurus1967
by Taurus1967
by M3000
by M3000
by TomLavender
sehr oldschool, und endlich mal ein duft für heiße tage, den ich wirklich liebe
by Kiengira
by Kiengira
das alte paco ist noch sehr eichenmoosig, wunderbar
1000 ml vintage :))
by PhilosHippos
by Jaromil
by Jaromil

Popular by Paco Rabanne

Ultrared Man by Paco Rabanne 1 Million Privé by Paco Rabanne 1 Million Lucky by Paco Rabanne La Nuit (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne La Nuit (Eau de Parfum) by Paco Rabanne Ténéré (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne Olympēa Legend by Paco Rabanne Olympēa Intense by Paco Rabanne Mētāl (Parfum) by Paco Rabanne Calandre (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne Olympēa (Eau de Parfum) by Paco Rabanne 1 Million Parfum by Paco Rabanne 1 Million Absolutely Gold by Paco Rabanne Pure XS for Her by Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet Man (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne Calandre (Eau de Parfum) by Paco Rabanne Mētāl (Eau de Toilette) / Eau de Mētāl by Paco Rabanne Invictus Aqua (2016) by Paco Rabanne Invictus Aqua (2018) by Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet by Paco Rabanne