XS pour Homme (1993)Eau de Toilette

XS pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne

XS pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Paco Rabanne for men and was released in 1993. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Puig.

Top Notes Top NotesWild mint, Bergamot, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesJuniper berry, Coriander, Geranium
Base Notes Base NotesCedarwood, Sandalwood, Rosemary, Oakmoss

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 02.12.2019.

The bottle was re-designed in 2018.

7.0 8.0 8.0 7.0/10

AdAstra72
How perception can change ...
I was really enthusiastic about Paco Rabannes XS.
at the beginning He has a very masculine DNA ... herbaceous, fresh, barbershop and actually pretty rough. I had also written a very positive comment about it, which I have to revise a little bit (I deleted the old one, because it doesn't correspond to my opinion anymore).

Since I tested it, I've noticed a bitter note on the palate. At first I thought that maybe I had just breathed in at the wrong moment while applying. But that was not the problem ... and my wife confirmed that impression.

From time to time I found the scent more exhausting and Leimbacher's name "Sparbuchduft" came back to my mind, which I could not understand at first, but which in the meantime exactly hits the feeling of the scent for me. Not because I find savings books stupid or conservative, but because I combine the scent with the smell of bank, paper and bank branch manager. And this impression intensifies with every wearing.
I have absolutely nothing against banks and their branch managers ... but do I want to constantly experience this association when wearing a fragrance?

Well... how perception can change ... i don't think the XS is bad now, only I won't use it after the bottling.
6.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

The alternative
Rather involuntarily and due to chance I complete a Creed Triology today. Almost 2 weeks ago I told you about L'Aventure Knight, the Green Irish Tweed clone and a few days ago about Aventus Cologne.
Today it's about the twin of the so far only Creed who made it into my collection and convinced me as so far only fragrance from the house Creed actually...the Himalaya.

And a Paco Rabanne, too. To be honest, I would never have expected that a fragrance from this house would inspire me, let alone that I would own one. I simply feel too old for most of the men's fragrances from this house. 1 Million, Invictus and these Pure XS clothes were and are nothing to me and in my eyes are aimed at a young audience. Extremely sweet synthetic stuff with long durability to sweat through the night in the club. I was confirmed by the son (Louis, 13) of my girlfriend, who sprayed Invictus and Pure XS on his arms while strolling together and was very taken with both of them, especially Invictus. Was he celebrating that? The brand alone made me shudder, especially with all the ugly bottles, there wasn't one who looked nice until now, no matter which one you take now. Plastic bombers that promise exactly what's in the scents. Also the original with the yellow liquid I now possess is not really pretty and with this cap to unfold totally bulky.

But now I have XS pour Homme, a fragrance that has little to do with today's Paco Rabannes. It's also from 1993 and back then you smelled different. In fact, Creeds Himalaya would be the Dupe that came on the market later, but let's see how much they resemble each other.

Since this XS is rather rare to find in shops, I also came across a perfume shop by chance a few weeks ago in Venlo/Holland, because there were a lot of fragrances there, which you rarely or not find at all in the shop. CH Man Prive, all the Bentleys, F by Ferragamo to name a few. And also the XS pour Homme. Nobody had encouraged me to buy the XS, I sprayed it on our boy to see how much he resembled the Creed, because I knew he was listed as a twin here. Well, the result was that we all really liked it and I immediately recognized this slightly herbaceous barbershop note in the base of the Himalayas. That made me curious and I looked around online, but the prices made me shudder. I like to have a cheap replacement for everyday life, but not for the prices called. But I was lucky to get an almost full 100ml bottle in the original design here in the souk for little money. It arrived before my vacation and I could compare it with the Creed now directly.

Basically, the Creed starts much fresher and is slightly sweeter due to the fruits in the top note, which makes it more fun when it is warmer and is also more multifaceted than the XS. The note I like so much at the Himalayas, however, starts a little later, after about an hour, because then comes the mentioned Barbershop note, which is slightly herbaceous, completely unsaponifiable and blurred, a little creaky and I find mega and this offers the XS almost 1 to 1 from front to back. Maybe a little drier, but easy to spot. Both then become woody and the XS remains spicier in nuances. I still seem to notice juniper berries here, something I seem to like very much. Due to the lack of freshness, this is best suited for autumn, when the Himalayas may become too cool.
Also the durability is at least with me with both about 7h. That's all right. I'd say they're 80% alike
If you like one of them, you can use the other one for the other seasons, at least that's what I'll do.

Unlike today's Paco Rabanne, this is a true gentleman scent. Pour Homme stands here right, instead of for boys like it would fit with today's. I have read in other Kommis that he comes along quite quickly unspectacularly, blandly, inconspicuously and well-behaved. You can see it that way, especially when Paco Rabanne is on it. However, I find it already loud, but not obtrusive with correct dosage. Well-groomed and clean. A business fragrance that goes on suit, as well as on shirt, but also sometimes casual.

For me personally a great alternative to my Himalaya and for people who like the Creed a real test recommendation. For all others a favorable variant.
6.0 8.0 7.0 8.0/10

Locke93
Memory search in the '90s.
I totally like the smell! A little the "Poor Mens" Himalaya, a little brighter, not quite soapy-noble. The bottle and the name, on the other hand, unfortunately suggest a totally wrong impression of this fragrance, which has been on the market since 1993.
I really like the fragrance very much, it reminds me of some beautiful memory from my past, only I am still looking for which one. I myself also saw the light of day in 1993. :-)
The current bottle, on the other hand, is the worst one, made cheapest for a "designer" who has ever got his hands on me. Unfortunately there is also a wrong construction :(
Please bear with me that I don't go into the individual notes, but I simply can't do that with this fragrance, it is for me much more the search for this memory and indulge in these "hunches", I don't want to take this magic through an "analysis".

UPDATE! I had been echauffiert over the flap mechanism of the flacon, I withdraw this in parts!... The lid can be opened to 180 degrees, it feels very "strange" in the beginning and you are afraid to destroy the in the beginning very nice but inferior lid mechanism.
As already noticed by some forum members, the lid has already been "consumer-friendly" removed in many shops, or only "put on".
7.0 7.0 8.0 7.0/10

KLewis
Clean, citrus and wood scent.
I bought this as a blind buy when I saw it for £15 for 30ml. I did a quick bit of research before buying and most are saying that it's a clean, masculine scent and pretty good quality... They right!

Upon first spray I get a nice fresh scent with a bit of citrus, but not overpowering, which then starts to dry down to bring in the rosewood and sandalwood, again not overpowering and keeping the scent smelling clean and fresh.

To me, there is nothing special about this fragrance, it's how I would expect a generic masculine fragrance to smell with it being clean, fresh and good for everyday use. I haven't yet tried Creed Himalaya so I'm not able to comment on the likeness between these two scents, but if everyone is correct with their comparisons then this would be a no brainer for any Himalaya fan just because of the price difference.
8.0/10

Scentemental
Brilliant! An olfactory sunset.
Paco Rabanne XS has been around for twenty years for good reason, it is an excellent fragrance that balances its notes wonderfully. I found this fragrance hard to describe when I first got it, but after having it a few years I know that the 'big players' in the notes are citrus, woods, juniper and geranium.

The juniper and herbal notes such as rosemary give this a strong aromatic quality (especially the juniper). These are tempered by the citrus, which is itself restrained by the mint. The floral notes, mainly the geranium softens the whole effect. Rosewood adds sweetness, but not in a cloying way.

The fragrance is rich and has a wide range of notes. To some it may smell generic, another woody citrus, but this is not a fair evaluation in my opinion. It is a lot more sophisticated than the myriad of woody citrus fragrances on the market today: it's a bit like an olfactory fractal, the more you focus on it, the more you find.

I see a similarity with ck One which came a year after. To use an analogy: XS is like a sunset, with rich yellows, burnt oranges fading to greenish yellow above the horizon. Calvin Klein one is the same view ten minutes later, when the sun has set, thin ghostly yellows fade to greens and greys. The use of citrus is both fragrances is masterful, restrained and modified by accompanying notes.
7.5 5.0 5.0 8.0/10

Classic!
That's a classic for me. Great smell, very unique when released.

Opens a little herbal with mint and geranium.

The drydown of this fragrance is wonderful.

The base is basically woody - rosewood and santal - smells very elegant and not overpowering.

Projection, sillage and lasting power are average.

Also, smells close to Creed Himalaya but it costs 1/4 the price.

Updated September 2014

AmberScent 13 days ago
It's a bit outdated for my taste.I miss some sweetness to face the fougére agressivity of the rosemary and juniper berries notes.+2
Carlitos01 147 days ago
It has been over used in the 90's and has been out of fashion since then. However it's an honest, fair, citrusy fresh, green fragrance.+3
6.0
KLewis 16 months ago
How I would expect a generic masculine fragrance to smell. Clean, fresh and good for everyday use.

1993
by Michael
by Thecombad
by Thecombad

Popular Paco Rabanne

1 Million (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne Invictus (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne Lady Million (Eau de Parfum) by Paco Rabanne Paco Rabanne pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne Olympéa (Eau de Parfum) by Paco Rabanne Black XS (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne 1 Million Privé by Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet Man (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne Black XS for Her (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne Pure XS by Paco Rabanne 1 Million Lucky by Paco Rabanne Invictus Aqua (2016) by Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet by Paco Rabanne Invictus Aqua (2018) by Paco Rabanne 1 Million Intense by Paco Rabanne 1 Million Cologne by Paco Rabanne 1 Million Absolutely Gold by Paco Rabanne Olympéa Intense by Paco Rabanne Invictus Intense by Paco Rabanne Pure XS for Her by Paco Rabanne