XS pour Homme 1993 Eau de Toilette

XS pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne
XS pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Paco Rabanne for men and was released in 1993. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesCorn mintCorn mint
Base Notes Base NotesCedarwoodCedarwood
SandalwoodSandalwood
RosemaryRosemary
OakmossOakmoss

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 08.10.2021.

The bottle was re-designed in 2018.

Xtra Salty pour Homme
With a strong marine note there's an aquatic theme to this.
Field mint growing in a meadow by the sea, with notes of hay, and then dry sand and powdery woods.
But there's no place for the sweet note at the end, and that throws the whole 'journey from salt meadow to driftwood' thing out of the window.
Fragrantica says the 2018 version remains unchanged. I hope so, it's a good piece of work (except for the first half hour which is manic).

Smellavision
Not new, but not dated...
Reviewing a bottle from 1998.
Well, it's clean, masculine and fresh yet cooling and somewhat synthetic. Starts off with a green opening with pine plus a hint of mint and transitioning into violets, which give off a slight metallic feeling. After this juniper and musky cedar with a bit of sandalwood come into play and give a touch of an amber-y base, joined by a huge dose of oakmoss that - surprisingly - doesn't make it feel dated liked other scents from around this time. The strong oakmoss may of course be due to the older bottle.
In short, a fruity floral with great projection.

Just for fun, I did a comparison with a bottle from stores today, to see what the similarities are :
the scent is almost identical, only has the oakmoss almost disappeared making it much less "butch" and more contemporary.
Still a great scent with decent projection and longevity.
Schallhoerer
My name is Messner, Kevin Messner.
You know him. He is a welcome guest on TV shows, writes books and gives lectures. When you see his face, connect it with that of a real mountain climber. And you know what? My brother deserves the same. Reinhold always had the urge to go outside. To walk in nature. He was not a couch potato. The mountain called his name very early on.

It was different with me. I liked to have a long sleep, an extensive breakfast and then lie down again. The day has 24 hours, so there is enough time for everything else. Reinhold was already out of the house at 5 o'clock, the cattle in his pocket, the climbing equipment on his back. Most of the time I only heard the door fall into the lock when I briefly lay down from one side of the bed to the other.

On May 8, 1978 my brother stood on the top of Mount Everest in the Himalayas. I can only imagine how the air must have been up there. Do you know what I did that day? I spilled a glass of milk. Unintentionally. UHT milk. Lactose-free. Did I ever tell you about my brother Reinold?

When Reinhold came back from his summit ascent a few weeks later, he told me everything down to the last detail. The air up there was cold, slightly citric and metallic. He would have smelled a strong woody note up there, which felt like soap on his skin as it progressed. I asked him if that could be from hypertension. My brother laughed only casually. This was the moment when my wish arose to conquer this mountain myself.

Two years later, I was ready. My big brother had provided me with the mountain equipment. He had also taught me the basics. It could finally start. Himalaya, here I come.

You surely want to know if I did it right after my brother and climbed Everest in the Himalayas. You know, I actually went to Nepal. In a very fancy hotel. There were wonderful massages and a superb buffet. A man on a mission can go astray
My name is Kevin Messner and I stand in my brother's shadow.

KLewis
Clean, citrus and wood scent.
I bought this as a blind buy when I saw it for £15 for 30ml. I did a quick bit of research before buying and most are saying that it's a clean, masculine scent and pretty good quality... They right!

Upon first spray I get a nice fresh scent with a bit of citrus, but not overpowering, which then starts to dry down to bring in the rosewood and sandalwood, again not overpowering and keeping the scent smelling clean and fresh.

To me, there is nothing special about this fragrance, it's how I would expect a generic masculine fragrance to smell with it being clean, fresh and good for everyday use. I haven't yet tried Creed Himalaya so I'm not able to comment on the likeness between these two scents, but if everyone is correct with their comparisons then this would be a no brainer for any Himalaya fan just because of the price difference.

Scentemental
Brilliant! An olfactory sunset.
Paco Rabanne XS has been around for twenty years for good reason, it is an excellent fragrance that balances its notes wonderfully. I found this fragrance hard to describe when I first got it, but after having it a few years I know that the 'big players' in the notes are citrus, woods, juniper and geranium.

The juniper and herbal notes such as rosemary give this a strong aromatic quality (especially the juniper). These are tempered by the citrus, which is itself restrained by the mint. The floral notes, mainly the geranium softens the whole effect. Rosewood adds sweetness, but not in a cloying way.

The fragrance is rich and has a wide range of notes. To some it may smell generic, another woody citrus, but this is not a fair evaluation in my opinion. It is a lot more sophisticated than the myriad of woody citrus fragrances on the market today: it's a bit like an olfactory fractal, the more you focus on it, the more you find.

I see a similarity with ck One which came a year after. To use an analogy: XS is like a sunset, with rich yellows, burnt oranges fading to greenish yellow above the horizon. Calvin Klein one is the same view ten minutes later, when the sun has set, thin ghostly yellows fade to greens and greys. The use of citrus is both fragrances is masterful, restrained and modified by accompanying notes.

Classic!
That's a classic for me. Great smell, very unique when released.

Opens a little herbal with mint and geranium.

The drydown of this fragrance is wonderful.

The base is basically woody - rosewood and santal - smells very elegant and not overpowering.

Projection, sillage and lasting power are average.

Also, smells close to Creed Himalaya but it costs 1/4 the price.

Updated September 2014

LukbabLukbab 12 months ago
My signature scent! Not the best, but definitely versatile, fresh, pleasant and clean. Great performance on me (on skin detectable 14 hours)
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
It's a bit outdated for my taste.I miss some sweetness to face the fougére agressivity of the rosemary and juniper berries notes.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
It has been over used in the 90's and has been out of fashion since then. However it's an honest, fair, citrusy fresh, green fragrance.
KLewisKLewis 3 years ago
How I would expect a generic masculine fragrance to smell. Clean, fresh and good for everyday use.

by VanAllan
by Michael
by Thecombad
by Thecombad

Popular Paco Rabanne

1 Million Privé by Paco Rabanne La Nuit (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne 1 Million Lucky by Paco Rabanne La Nuit (Eau de Parfum) by Paco Rabanne Paco Rabanne pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne Ténéré (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne Ultrared Man by Paco Rabanne Mētāl (Parfum) by Paco Rabanne Olympēa Intense by Paco Rabanne Calandre (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne Olympēa Legend by Paco Rabanne Olympēa (Eau de Parfum) by Paco Rabanne 1 Million Absolutely Gold by Paco Rabanne Calandre (Eau de Parfum) by Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet Man (Eau de Toilette) by Paco Rabanne Mētāl (Eau de Toilette) / Eau de Mētāl by Paco Rabanne 1 Million Parfum by Paco Rabanne Invictus Aqua (2016) by Paco Rabanne Pure XS for Her by Paco Rabanne Invictus Aqua (2018) by Paco Rabanne