Salome by Papillon Artisan Perfumes
Salome is a popular perfume by Papillon Artisan Perfumes for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is animal-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Liz Moores

JasmineJasmine HyraceumHyraceum Turkish roseTurkish rose CarnationCarnation OakmossOakmoss StyraxStyrax Bitter orangeBitter orange PatchouliPatchouli BergamotBergamot Orange blossomOrange blossom

Submitted by Michael, last update on 29.04.2022.

VTrancoso
The fragrance of the three “S”
A beautiful floral/oriental, with a vintage vibe and a horse saddle leather and a skin accord. A soft and “clean” leather achieved by blending some of the notes. Surprising freshness, clarity and at the same time great complexity. As it has been classified as the fragrance of the three “S”: Seduction, Sex and Skin – according to the legend of Salome.
The image that comes to my mind is of riding in the saddle of a horse along a field of flowers that release their scent in the heat of a magical summer.

Femme Fatale
The story of Salome - her dance before Herod with the head of John the Baptist on a platter - has been an inspiration to artists for centuries. She has become an early icon of female seduction, a temptress who lures you away from salvation.

Now, I can tell you upfront that wearing Papillon's Salome is not going turn you into that spellbinding seductress. Except to a very select audience maybe. In the eyes, err nose, of most people this scent is so intimidating that it has the exact opposite effect. However, the drama is certainly there. The contrast of that young girl's dance and the brutally severed head can be found in the appealing floral heart versus the feral musks.

The scent profile has a lot in common with the classic floral chypres. Typically, these perfumes have a pronounced floral heart on base of moss, with some support of animal musks. Papillon's Salome reverses the ratios in its composition so that the musks take a much more prominent role amongst the floral chypre accords.

The opening is very intense with its hyrax-furry type of musk. It is accompanied by a good set of florals and a serious amount of moss. Slowly it all settles down into something more castoreum-like: warm and enveloping, almost balsamic-oriental.

Salome is often compared to Muscs Koublai Khan and Musc Tonkin because of the animalic character. The similarities are obviously there, but to me Salome is not so much a stand-alone musk hommage. It feels much more like a re-worked classical chypre theme and a quite successful one, if you ask me.

Despite its intensity, I would put it in the introvert section. It's a perfume to wear on evenings at home, while reading a book for example, so you can fully dive into its depth and complexity. Social settings are a no-go, at least for the first hour or two.
A friendly beast!
Initially a very unusual stunner that literally blows you away, so different, so strange! Cyprian, earthy, spicy and very animalic. After 1 hour the scent becomes friendlier, more pleasant, slightly sweetish, still warmly animalic, but it's starting to appeal to me. It ensnares me and after another hour I find the scent distinctly warm and sensual, like a second skin enveloping me that I feel distinctly comfortable in. It's a part of me, it's who I am. However, I dare to doubt whether I like to show this facet as a message to everyone. I prefer to be alone with myself or with two people, completely private and enjoy myself uninhibitedly. The fragrance lasts for hours, the silage is initially room-filling.

Classic animalic chipre
Salome has captivated me. It opens with a very citrusy out that in a few minutes turns into an animalistic and very spicy aroma, with a quite pronounced floral part. It reminds me a bit of traditional Chipre perfumes such as eau du soir de sisley or paloma Picasso, although much more animalistic, and of current fashionable perfumes such as diaghilev de roja dove or Maai de bogue profumo. The perfume has, in addition to the hiraceous and the castoreum, a very pronounced musk, and together they cause an aroma like sweat, but not of an unpleasant mnee, which becomes addictive. Although its composition is reminiscent of traditionally feminine perfumes, I find it totally unisex and I feel very comfortable wearing it. I see it for cold weather or mild weather nights.

Scent: 8.5
Longevity: 9
Sillage: 8
Versatility: 6
Originality: 8
Quality / price: 6
Overall: 8.5

The naughty child of Papillon
It seems like this fragrance is very chemistry dependent. It makes sense as it is made with a lot of naturals. As a lover of Chypre-Florals and of animalic notes, I had to get my nose on this. At the opening and during the following hour and a half, I am getting a blast of animalic notes and cumin with a little jasmine in the background. This part is interesting. I then get a strong ashtray note that lasted the following hour. It made me feel quite nauseous so it was hard to focus on the other aspects of the fragrance. I know that Salome has a cult following, which is great as it pushes boundaries. It just did not work for me. This is an honest review which does not seeks to vilify this perfume. I believe it is only necessary for fragrance lovers to read about a variety of experiences.
Oh, Salome!
Salome, yes...
The beautiful queen's daughter, whose dance first drove men out of their minds, then killed John the Baptist, and finally became her own undoing, inspired hosts of artists, bells in her hair, clinking gold hoops on her ankles and an emerald in her navel, malignantly sparkling.
What should a scent resembling Salome smell like? It should be sensual, erotic, confusing, beguiling...fatal Well - he is above all the latter: fatal.
Perhaps I should placate the followers of Salome right now: The scent is a work of art. But art is not always beautiful. And if you hang a Munch in your bedroom, you shouldn't hope for erotic inspiration I admit that I am disappointed in this respect: I was allowed to read that Liz Moores was inspired by the sight of a burlesque dancer to create this work, which was intended to transport the charm of the Fin du Siècle to us. The perfume really does smell like vintage. And it even has something of those nostalgic fairs. But I don't associate it with dancing beauty with nothing but a string of pearls around the narrow waist. Rather the lady with the beard, sadly waiting for customers behind the curtain of a shabby circus tent. It smells of earth, of mud, of mothballs and if there are flowers here, they haven't bloomed under the sun for a long time.
Totally perplexed, I brood over the pyramid of scents. Jasmine, unfortunately, I cannot perceive at all; he is slain by a monstrous carnation, as is the pitiful Turkish rose. Perhaps there is something like the hint of orange blossom, but there is also something in between, something that the toilets in the immediate vicinity of the lady with the beard suggest... ah! Hyraceum! The fossilized feces from Kapyrax, as I can extract from Wikipedea... well, that explains a lot. Patchouli in rough quantities adds a pinch of grave vault and the orange smells...bitter There is so much right about this perfume: the idea was good; the scents, at least most of them, fit the biblical dancer. But the realization... it's such a pity! The Salomes of this earth will probably not acquire this scent. At least not when they want to charm. And I won't use it either

Sinful
Notes are Jasmine, Hyraceum, Turkish Rose, Carnation, Oakmoss, Styrax, Orange, Patchouli, Bergamot, and Orange Blossom

A soapy, spicy and so animalic. I am not a big fan of animalic fragrance and try to avoid them as much as possible but I had to get a decant of Salome ????. This is very animalic but also beautiful, sexy, sinful and fatal????. I am happy that I was able to try this and this is a blended to perfection the notes do settle down but just not for me.

Salome - Papillon
My first experience with the house of Papillon Artisan Perfumes. I received a sample of this about a year ago and I am finally able, and pleased to provide my review/experience of this scent... I hope you enjoy.

Candlelight glow
I thought I had written a review on Salome but I guess I was too busy wearing and enjoying it. Papillon as a whole, is one of the few brands that keep my faith in indie, niche, and artisanal perfumery. While bigger brands have been going mainstream for the last 5 years or so, Liz Moores goes slowly and steadily towards curating a line that is both fascinating and rewarding. Salome is my favorite.

The concept behind, and the inspiration, was an old photograph from the turn of the century. And the scent itself could easily belong there, as it follows the footsteps of Shocking and even Femme; sepia toned, glowing warmth. Gentle spices, a French floral heart and a chypre backbone, Salome bends olfactory families and draws the best from them; expertly blended, it’s hard to pinpoint the notes. There’s effervescence in the opening from sparkling bergamot, spicy florals in the heart with a beautiful rose and carnation like you don’t smell anymore, and a beautiful animalic drydown that mixes civet, castoreum and hyraceum with musk and smoky patchouli. Just like older fragrances, the animalic notes enhance and magnify the whole composition, and don’t scream just for the sake of it. While dirty and skanky at times, mostly from the touch of cumin, the animalic notes make the scent far bigger than the sum of its parts.
Here is where Femme comes into play; Salome feels like a worthy Roudnitska descendant in the best possible way. One relies on the erotic qualities of ripe fruit (plums, hence Prunol base) while Salome relies mostly on ripe florals past their prime. The spices are gentle and warm, merely glowing forever, and there’s a strong oakmoss bone that transcends standard orientals and chypres. Salome is art, expertly conceived, translating into pure pleasure to wear. Long lasting, noticeable for hours, and unabashedly sensual when worn, and sexual when smelt.

In this time and age, when IFRA is the big bad wolf that has forever destroyed many beloved masterpieces, fragrances like this show that while there are restrictions, quality perfumes can still be made, as long as there is a coherent vision, zero focus groups and marketing, and no need for ass kissing big aromachemical corporations. As long as there is talent and people who believe in perfumery, there are still many more Salomes to come. And while IFRA will only get more restrictive, perfumery isn’t yet dead. Not by a long shot.

So raw!
This is so animalic and carnal, just love it! Reminds me of a cavewoman wearing a leopard skin for a dress, like in the Flinstones! Smells slightly smoky, a little incense, some voluptuous roses, and you really get sort of a hyraceum/civet blend. A romantic and daring blend.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 9 months ago
After an uplifting spicy-citric opening, this musky/powdery, gently animalic, spicy-floral Chypre, settles to a creamy earthy-woody base.
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 1 year ago
Very very animalic perfume. Citrusy opening and flowery Chipre dry down. It has also a spicy vibe. The last dry down is very strong, sweaty!
DorothyGraceDorothyGrace 4 years ago
Wafting to my nose all day carnation, my skin close up smells like my grandad's well used dirty old pipe. Not sure if love or yikes!
Alex1984Alex1984 5 years ago
Tabu teletranspoted to 2016. Nothing seems familiar to her so she goes to Liz Moore’s to find herself. Breathtaking beauty.
OdysseusOdysseus 5 years ago
The smell of a floral, sweaty crotch! Can't stop sniffing my arm, yet not very practical scent. Totally unisex... with the emphasis on SEX!
MyhorsesMyhorses 5 years ago
Salome is the four legged love child of Mitsouko and L Heure bleu born in a stable

Liaisons dangereuses
by Freshdennis
by EssAli
by EssAli

Popular by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

Anubis by Papillon Artisan Perfumes Bengale Rouge by Papillon Artisan Perfumes Dryad by Papillon Artisan Perfumes Tobacco Rose by Papillon Artisan Perfumes Angélique by Papillon Artisan Perfumes Spell 125 by Papillon Artisan Perfumes Hera by Papillon Artisan Perfumes