Tobacco Rose by Papillon Artisan Perfumes
Tobacco Rose is a popular perfume by Papillon Artisan Perfumes for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is floral-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Liz Moores

Top Notes Top NotesPetitgrain, Honey, Caraway
Heart Notes Heart NotesMoroccan rose, Rose otto, Wild rose, Bourbon geranium, Tuberose
Base Notes Base NotesTobacco, Patchouli, Tolu balm, Labdanum, Oud, Musk

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 27.09.2020.

Iseabail
The well behaved child of Papillon
It starts with a beautiful bold rose, a dark one but very crisp. The oakmoss then joins the plot quickly followed by ambergris and we are now in the vintage floral-chypre territory; we start getting a bit of honey a few moments later. The quality of the ingredients is obvious, nothing feels synthetic or screechy. Let's not forget, no tobacco. Maybe the name was meant to take us off. Despite the vintage style, Tobacco Rose smells in no way dated. I have to say that it is actually office friendly; a shocker for this house. It is a very interesting and beautiful fragrance but quite intimate, an arms' length silage on uncovered skin. It is well balanced and and a very successful chypre. Beautiful crisp flowers, just enough oakmoss to play support role, ambergris and honey to create some sensuality and close the bow nicely.
Weihrauch
"Please insert a funny suggestive title here."
Papillon Artisan Perfumes, a very small niche house from England. Liz Moores does almost everything herself. The fragrances have an extremely high quality, the production quantities are small, just like the portfolio. I like the logo and the name. The bottle does what it should.
A fragrance house that you will undoubtedly come across if you dig deep enough into the niche world. And by "deep" I don't mean the level, but the quality.

I was looking for a lively, aromatic, spicy and masculine rose fragrance to expand my collection.

You could choose from:
-Much Ado about the Duke of Penhaligons
-Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
-Viking from Creed
-Tobacco Rose by Papillon Parfumery.

Papillon Parfumery, a very small niche house from England. Liz Moores does almost everything herself. The fragrances have an extremely high quality, the production quantities are small, just like the portfolio. I like the logo and the name. The bottle does what it should.

I like male rose scents like Chanel Egoist
Call me a niche snob, but unfortunately the smell in the drydown becomes too "irrelevant" for me.

At Tobacco Rose, nothing seems trivial, you smell everything but tobacco. This is not a bad thing, because the fresh and high-quality rose is surrounded by dry hay and light patchouli. The scratchiness of the hay is sanded off by the honey. "The whole thing is drizzled with a dry, alcoholic, fruity note that strongly reminds me of "Rudis - Nobile 1942".
Also the durability and sillage are phenomenal, Viking and even POAL have already done that.
Why did I choose Tobacco Rose now? Due to the complex linearity:
The fragrance smells extremely complex and deep, but remains true to this composition until it disappears. Nothing is worse than a great top note that then gradually disappoints.

This artwork really has what it takes to get into my Top 5...

...but you know that, sooner or later the other Rosenkracher also come to me :)

Thanks for reading!

Your Moritz aka. Frankincense

Easy to wear, Sweet Lemon Rose Turkish Delight
This is lovely, albeit similar to a couple of oils I own and similar to a perfume I tried a decant of but didn't get on with.

When I first spray this on I get a sweet woody orange petitgrain with just a touch of geranium. It quickly develops into a slightly lemon scented rose Turkish Delight, sweet but not sickly. A touch of musk, a smidgen of dry woods or grass.

I don't get any smoke so I assume the Tobacco is Tobacco Flower rather than the (to me) dreaded Birch Tar Oil. I don't pick up on the caraway.

Grossmith Saffron Rose I found to be similar but with a discordant cinnamon and funk. I tested this one from a small decant.

Ajmal Musk Rose is similar but Musk Rose has more lemon to the rose and is very musky, more powerful in scent altogether. I am not quite sure why but I find Musk Rose a little more masculine than I like.

Al Haramain Himalayan Rose is similar but thicker, denser, richer, starts off greener, and the rose tilts towards having the smell of unburnt Indian Rose Scented Joss-sticks. Works very well in the heat.

AveParfum
I'm tired of rose, but not this one!
A lush, velvety, extremely sensual, crimson rose. I smell moist hay, sticky balsams, a civet-like animalic note, and honey-dipped rose petals. Tobacco Rose is a celebration of the night. It is a perfume I would wear if I were going to see a show at the Moulin Rouge. It makes me picture velvet curtains, elegant black dresses, and skin illuminated by candle light.

Tobacco Rose stayed on my skin for 14 hours before I went to sleep for the night. A few hours in, the hay note faded, and the perfume headed down the rose confiture road. I happen to like jammy roses. What sets this one apart from the rest is the ever-present animalic note that gives it a certain edge.

I adore the entire Papillon collection and wear every single one of them. I crave them. While Anubis, Salome, and Angelique are equally beautiful and sensual in their own ways, when I wear Tobacco Rose, I start having thoughts like, "I am a beautiful woman!" There is just something about this juice that makes me want to get my hair, makeup, and nails done and just bask in the glory of being a woman. It's so unlike me to talk like that! This velvety red scent will be perfect for the turning of the leaves and the crisp breezes. Dark rose perfection.

JackieG
The most stunning rose perfume
I have a tiny drop of this perfume left out of a 2ml tester and I'm jealously guarding it.
This perfume is one of the most beautiful and complex rose perfumes I've ever had the joy to wear. It has such depth and delicious earthiness and constantly evolves on the skin. It is unquestionably skilfully put together and the longevity is incredible.
It plays on the skin like a story, starting with a lush, bright rose and gradually shifts to a rose in its final flourish.
Rose perfumes aren't usually my thing but this one has changed my perception forever.
Now I just have to wait to get my hands on a full bottle.

by Kylesa
by sebjar
by MrFumejunkie
by MrFumejunkie

Popular Papillon Artisan Perfumes

Anubis by Papillon Artisan Perfumes Bengale Rouge by Papillon Artisan Perfumes Salome by Papillon Artisan Perfumes Dryad by Papillon Artisan Perfumes Angélique by Papillon Artisan Perfumes