Varon DandiVaron Dandy (1924)Eau de Cologne

Varon Dandi / Varon Dandy (Eau de Cologne) by Parera

Varon Dandi is a popular perfume by Parera for men and was released in 1924. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still in production.

Spices, Woods

Submitted by Ironheart, last update on 26.04.2020.

FvSpee
CoViD comments, fifth piece: tabaco misterioso
In times like these, when in Spain, the home of this ancient fragrance, people die like flies, are we allowed to enjoy fragrances? I don't think it's any different from the questions of whether one can joke with friends or listen to a wonderful music recording in these times: The joy of beauty should not be an escape. Not before the deed: If duty now requires us to look after our old parents or to do our job as a doctor or policeman, there is no time for games. And not an escape of the heart: Closing our doors and eyes, silencing our compassion (perhaps prayer) for others in order to enjoy undisturbed, is not real joy. This is put in such a way: one may and one should even. The joy in the pause of fighting (and fighting is always) is very good. It can save the heart from stiffening.

Varon Dandy is a fragrance full of mystery, and in researching this comment I could not really solve any of them. Most likely that of the name: Varón is Spanish for "guy, man, boy", and apparently "Varón Dandy" then means something like "the dandy type". A dictionary research results for Spanish "Dandi" German "Salonlöwe". So we can assume that the English "Dandy" was Hispanized at some point in the past, and that the very first edition of this fragrance was perhaps still written with an i, although the very old bottles shown here all already have the "y". I like the name, it gets eight points from me.

Things are already becoming more difficult at the manufacturing company Parera. Oddly enough, the company has no website, which suggests that it no longer exists. In fact, in the Catalan (!) Wikipedia edition (Viquipèdia), which I was able to understand quite well thanks to my knowledge of Latin (Latin helps in the jungle, too!), I found the hint that Parera was founded in 1911/1912 by Joan Parera i Casanovas (in Spanish probably Juan Parera y Casanovas) in or near Barcelona as a family perfume company and in 1940 it was converted into a public limited company, which was swallowed by the international consumer goods multinational Reckitt-Benckiser in 1990. Then, however, its trail gets lost for me. The Reckitt-Benckiser website does not show a "Parera" under "OUR BRANDS", and I can't get anywhere else. This raises the question who produces this scent here at all. Any soldier of fortune in the end who has secured the bare trademark rights (or even manages without them) and just sells some juice that has nothing whatsoever to do with the original dandy from 1924 under this name? No idea. What I do know is that there are traces on the Internet of a square 100 ml bottle of "Varon Dandy Eau de Cologne" and a round cylindrical litre bottle of "Varon Dandy Colonia", which are or were available on various not at all dubious portals for about 8 Euros each. Why 1 litre of "Colonia" costs the same as 1/10 litre of "Cologne" and whether it is the same product, no answer. The fragrance discussed here is the "Cologne" that the noble Consálico adored me.

Another secret are the fragrances. Here at Parfumo it simply says "spices, woods" and even where this is taken from remains a mystery. However, I too consider the fragrance to be so dense, original and old-school that I can hardly imagine that it is a modern fantasy product that merely adorns itself with the old name; I really do suspect a traditional line here, although it is certainly not the original recipe from 1924. I am delighted with the fragrance. It is really big! And it can do something! A thoroughly brown fragrance, fresh yes, absolutely, but not a transparent citrus freshness, but a warm, full-bodied, somewhat heavy, spicy, and definitely sweetish, barbershop freshness. Sometimes astringent to the limit of the (the nose) penetrating. I can absolutely confirm Barcelona's proximity to Madrid (Floid), and to Vienna (Knize-Ten), to which consalics pointed out; but especially in the base, where I suspect carnation and musk and, moreover, would very urgently like to tap tonka, Cologne (Tabac Original) is almost closer for me. This condenses my impression that there is something like a "Habsburg" warm-scented men's sound. Such "brown" scents stand for Spain, Germany and Austria for me. To Italy, England and (despite exceptions: Bel Ami) France they do not fit.

I sprayed (not plashed) "Varon Dandy" - based on the consideration "it's just a cologne" - quite generously (mono-layer!) and was rewarded with a rich sillage and a shelf life of 8 hours. The stuff is really worth its money. However, I would have liked to dim the radiation down slowly after about three hours because of the already intense spicy aroma. Instead, this saloon lion kept on partying undaunted until he almost got on my nerves. When I turned around for a moment to get a drink, he was suddenly gone. Like that comment now.
Mr Knizes Spanish domestic servant
Four years ago, the previous speaker Cappellusman certified that Varon Dandy was a close relative of the old Austrian Grandseigneur fragrance par excellence, Knize Ten. Not only the fact that we are obviously dealing here with a variation of one of my favourite fragrances, but also the fact that this should not be a tired, late imitation (1924!) made a test inevitable. No, a blind buy! Almost eight euros for 100ml work in consideration of the promise like mockery, lower smell concentration back or forth.

Unfortunately, the old, roundish flacon design doesn't look too good for me anymore, but the reduced-edge version doesn't look bad either. The plastic cap reveals a classic splash device framed with a metal ring (imagine Old Spice with minimal opening). It's also an Eau de Cologne, so why not the cold punch in the hollow hand?

So is Varon Dandy really a fragrance twin to one of the great classics of the twentieth century? No, he might not be a twin. But indeed, a close relative. The substructure, the base, the two surrounding "air" is very similar, almost identical. But the decor - I don't want to talk about "top note", because it lasts almost to the end at Knize - is not. What with Knize the infinitely elegant, brandy rose together with stone fruit compote, is here an ethereal-alcoholic note, which reminds me, not only because of the origin of the house, of Spanish Hierbas: gentle, green-spicy background anise sweetness. Somewhat more angular, but also quite elegant (thanks to an indefinite, "serious flower", as Mrs Konsalik would like to add). Among them was the same, strict, slightly birch-tar-like leather association chord, with which the idea of leather was evoked at that time (and unfortunately hardly any more today). In the base, which begins on me already after about an hour, finally a soapy leather musk note emerges, which I also appreciate in other fragrances - see my comment to Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme. I can't put it any other way: I'm impressed! Bravo!

With all the nobility less exalted, somewhat more angular, "touching" and quite reserved in durability: Not quite the Privy Councillor, but perhaps his domestic servant. On weekends, they say, he even uses Varon Dandy as aftershave. After all, his salary is enough even for this wasteful use.

Carlitos01Carlitos01 24 months ago
Varon Dandi sells for peanuts and it's still the same juice from more than 25 years ago: A spicy woody barbershop potion for a nice day.

by Konsalik
by Konsalik
Johannes Heesters - der Dandy par excellence!

Popular Parera

Prime Minister (Eau de Cologne) by Parera Cocaina en Flor by Parera Brando (Eau de Cologne) by Parera Old Brown (Eau de Cologne) by Parera Tanamar by Parera