Chypre Palatin 2012

Chypre Palatin by Parfums MDCI
Top 64 in Men's Perfume
Chypre Palatin is a popular perfume by Parfums MDCI for men and was released in 2012. The scent is chypre-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesClementineClementine GalbanumGalbanum HyacinthHyacinth LabdanumLabdanum LavenderLavender ThymeThyme
Heart Notes Heart NotesGardeniaGardenia IrisIris JasmineJasmine PlumPlum RoseRose
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoinBenzoin CastoreumCastoreum OakmossOakmoss LeatherLeather Everlasting flower absoluteEverlasting flower absolute StyraxStyrax Tolu balmTolu balm VanillaVanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 21.04.2022.

Best Chypre Fruity in my collection
This is one of my best finds of all time. I refuse to pay an extra $100+ for the bust. To each his/her own. Beautiful take on the chypre fruity style. I think it's better than the Roja offering along with Rochas Femme and Mitsouko. It's has taken the old and really innovatived it. It is resinous to a point and one of the most uplifting fragrances I have smelled in a long time.

One of Duchaufour’s finest
Sometimes… Not everytime, but sometimes.. perfumery transcends itself into art. That is the case with Chypre Palatin. Not only is this a headturner, but it will leave people surprised and overwhelmed, in the best way possible. To put it simple, you don’t smell this type of perfume everyday.

Everything from galbanum, plum, rose, castoreum, benzoin etc. makes up this astonishing creation. A whole bunch of different notes, if you only look at the note breakdown. But when you put your nose to this one, my God… Whoever smells this one on you, will know that you’re wearing something special. Smells refined, elegant and very upper scale. Has a luxurious feel and is just very addictive. Would be absolutely perfect for a night out, especially in the fall or winter. You could probably pull it off in the summer nights too, but please go light on the trigger, this is heavy and projects like an animal. The scent trail of Chypre Palatin will leave people speechless. Literally.

It’s no secret that I’m an admire of Bertrand Duchaufour, but for me personally, this has to be the best of his, that I have laid my nose on so far. Simply breathtaking, and a perfume that is signature scent worthy. An absolute masterpiece from Parfums MDCI.

Big, Baroque
Perfumer's efforts are definitely commendable. It's an artwork.

I imagine Chypre Palatin is more for someone dressed to the nine's x10... high-end loafers, pants, silk button up shirt with that sheen when it catches light, house full of you-can't-afford-it baroque furniture.

Projects loudly in a persistent way, which, given how sweet it is, comes across like a nagging child.

From a technical standpoint it's art, just not a piece I'll bid on. Not sure if this really is a chypre, though. The ever-present amber glow could make one think it's an oriental.
Affenhirn
Dark and powerful, fruity and heavy
Immediate association: head shop, there are sold hookahs and accessories, such as large cigarette paper and caskets for storage.
There are also loose clothes with, for example, batik patterns and other psychedelic formats.
I had read, seen and heard so much about this perfume when I finally ordered a sample three weeks ago.
First I smelled the spray head as I was totally curious and couldn't wait. Then came the above association in my head and I had to think why, because this perfume smells neither tobacco nor hashish.

It is the incense sticks that brought me to it. These are burned there regularly, in me unknown scent.

Also as dark and bulky would be able to describe this impression which continues when spraying on.

But joins an additional smell that reminds me of hairspray, as with Oud Wood by Tom Ford. Fortunately, the disappears after five minutes because he scares me off.

Those first five minutes are also the phase that put off my dear friend. She had it right on her wrist and had to wrinkle her nose.
For me, this was somehow not so pleasing because, I had already presented her the full bottle with bust to it.

These bottles are for me as from the Barrockzeit and also without the busts very beautiful.

After the first five minutes, there is somehow a change, a scent that becomes softer, more harmonious and more intimate.

Now I think of my mom. For decades, she has her perfume from Scherrer. I can't name the exact scent on that.
I also think of Dior Homme Intense, but Chypre Palatin is more pleasing and friendly to me.

Where DHI at some point after hours unnerves because it reminds me of Apothekersud and wormwood, there glow through Chypre Palatin still fruits, fruits and leather delightful therefore.

Also comes to mind the Camel of Zoologist in the scent progression, but this of Parfums MDCI is more varied and evolves further.

Yes, what makes this perfume is that in the development time always new facets come to light where new chords appear, then the pattern falls away and something new comes.

There was so much said and written about this perfume of MDCI what I can fully confirm, for example that the course as described above allows each time a new experience.
Even now that it is getting warmer I perceive quite clearly how the perfume adapts.

The issue of complexity comes to mind at this point. Many Youtubers have made such comments in regards to Chypre Palatin by pointing out the many different ingredients.
I would definitely think of a few more things here but in the meantime I've gotten hungry and am going shopping with Thuy, my dear friend. (Where I carry CP;-)

Enjoyed sharing my experiences and personal views on Chypre Palatin by Parfums MDCI with you all.
Many greetings,
Alex

Palatial Chypre
My first review of a perfume from the house of Parfums MDCI. This got my attention due to the existing critical acclaim and especially due to the composer of the perfume, one of my favourites, Bertrand Duchaufour. Hope you enjoy, thank you.

Chypre fireworks
My first comment, and on such a tremendous scent!

Through an order at EN, I was fortunately able to order a small sample of this fragrance with me, from many sides and different sources very praised, I also wanted to dare to the magic of this fragrance.
But for now, the sample remained unopened in the closet, as a Neuparfumo I had probably a little too much respect for the fragrance....
Finally - on a cold December afternoon, the sun was just about to set - I took heart. I wanted to smell this fragrance after all! What should he then forever untested lying around, that can not be the point and purpose, and if my untrained nose can not grasp everything, then so be it.
Freshly washed I stepped out of the shower, toweled off, ready to apply the Palatin..
When opening the sample rose me already a pleasant citrus note in the nose - let's do it - splash on neck, chest and forearm applied..

HOLY SHIT!

What a fireworks display of hesperidic notes! Clementine in this case. In addition, lavender and thyme - which definitely brings some spice purely - and then again and again citrus rockets in between reingefeuert, very nice!

After about half an hour, the fireworks seem to go out and makes way for floral sweetness, here I think plum especially herauszurchen.
Wow, also very nice, I keep holding my forearm towards my nose to inhale the scent.

Finally, it becomes very pleasantly warm, almost cozy-balsamic.... The vanilla I perceive the most intense, but is by no means too intrusive, it seems rather nicely embedded in all other aromas such as moss & leather..

The sillage I would estimate about an arm's length wide, and bzgl durability I can only say that I had traces of the fragrance still the next morning on my forearm.

Summa summarum; a great air, whose magic I would like to feel more often, so he comes on my shopping list.
The faces of the Palatine
I saw you coming out of a magnificent carriage from afar, down outside the gates of the castle. You seemed youthful and bold as you rushed through the gardens approaching, for a brief moment swirling the scent of ripe Hespirides, bitter herbs and lavender up to my window.
As you entered the hall, you held a luxuriant bouquet of flowers in your hands, but I could only catch its scent for a moment, for you quickly put the bouquet aside. Well-groomed you stood now before me, seemingly flawless your face seemed, cleansed with the finest rose soap, but rigid at first, as if it were covered with resins and wax, bitter and sweet at the same time, even. For half an hour we stood like this, face to face I tried to decipher you, only I could not. Good you are, yes, noble and grown up, but I could not see your facets.
Then I saw this expression in your eyes and you started to remind me of your little brother. I smelled the leather of your jacket, which in contrast to your brother's leather seemed to be covered with balsamic-honey-like sweetness, contrasting your animalistic, sparkly, bending-hilly gaze, iridescent for several hours before your face became gentler and milder, like warm, fragrant resins and soft vanilla, resting in a bed of oakmoss. Then you began to let go of me, left me completely after twelve hours.
You are beautiful, yes, balanced and sublime, never loud, but it is your younger brother who touches my heart, the leather rider, the "Cuir Cavalier". He is very similar to you, but he is more impetuous, yes, dirtier and raw, darker and deeper in his soft traits. I can see its facets, read it like a book.
For some a veritable confusion, for me the Holy Grail
Introduction:
I think it's been about 2 months since the lovely Parfumo TalkingHead sent me a few drops of his Chypre Palatin. The perfumer and the numerous good reviews here, especially from the people whose opinions very often agree with my own, naturally aroused my interest. Why I could only now overcome myself to write a comment worthy of the scent from my point of view, probably already explains the headline. We are definitely dealing with a fragrance that couldn't be more complex.

Bottle and packaging:
The outer packaging of the Chypre Palatin does not at first suggest a high-priced fragrance. A little bit unkind cardboard, on the front a sticker in a punched frame, where only the most important things can be seen: Name, brand, eau de parfum, content, vaporizer/ natural spray. Opening the OVP welcomes an even more cardboard box with MDCI lettering and a folding mechanism made of cardboard to secure the bottle. To be honest: unkindly implemented, just fulfils its purpose, but definitely works better when I look at other high-priced fragrances from my collection. If you then free the bottle from its gloomy home, you hold a very heavy glass bottle with a beautiful yellow-red bobble in your hand, MDCI in golden writing on the front, an equally golden lid that sits firmly on its spray head of the same colour, on the back in the same font is then still Paris printed and on the underside are then the most important information, which also stand on the packing and besides the address of CM Création & Diffusion (like those stand to MDCI, I could not find out however due to lacking French knowledge). Who now believes that I give the perfume 9 points in the category bottle, despite its lousy packaging, only because of the beautiful fragrance, is wrong. The bottle is very beautiful and above all of high quality, the atomizer does its job perfectly and MDCI apparently wanted to impress its customers with a beautiful presentation.

Description of fragrance:
Shortly after spraying on you are welcomed by a green, fresh cloud, the clementine gives the scent a little liveliness, the smell of sage candies spreads in my nose, slight hints of the top note of Chanel No 5 have an effect on me, which I attribute to aldehydes
(little side note: to make sure, the wrist of the fragrant woman just had to hold out again).
The top note lasts for some time, the clementine says goodbye and the scent becomes sharper and in the background the sweetness is also slowly noticeable, but at the moment still very, very quiet. The leather slowly emerges under the spicy note and fights for supremacy. But from a distance I still smell the ointment note, which still doesn't seem to want to admit defeat. Gradually the sweetness increases more and more, the ointment note is no longer present at all and the vanilla now takes over, slightly animal underlaid, but the green character is still maintained by the oak moss. Oakmoss and vanilla now walk hand in hand through the spice garden and conjure up a truly beautiful smell in the nose, where I still haven't had enough of it even after 2 months. There are a few scents that have managed to give me this feeling, but Chypre Palatin manages to keep this happiness for some time.
At the time I met him, unfortunately there was no bottle in the souk, the cheapest retailer price with 195 Euro plus shipping was unfortunately also no bargain, but I just had to have him and wrote Talking Head again. "If you can part with your Chypre Palatine. I've got to have it." He diced out a prize, the stars were good for me and a few days later the almost full bottle arrived together with beautiful further rehearsals. I can't say it enough, but you know how grateful I am to you for that.

So far, not a single fragrance I have tested has been able to bring in so many compliments, despite its complexity and the fact that most people around me are mainly used to designer fragrances. From "What is that nice aftershave?", to "You always smell good, but what is that you're wearing", to "You should also buy that perfume. The DufteMann smells so good today" everything was there. Chypre Palatin was also the trigger for the fact that I have tried Chypres more often lately. But no one really knocked me out. Through your comments I will definitely give Mitsouko a chance and Apicius' contribution was also very informative for me despite the scathing. Then I will now look further at the Oriental Chypres, if there is something else for me at.

Over and Out Your ScentMan

Modern chypre perfection
Perfect, you can smell every note, nothing harsh or overwhelming, just smooth breeze of tangerine and vanilla vibe with some suede and fizzy aldhehydes rounding the composition between natural sweetness and tangy chypre feelings. After 30 minutes or 1 hour, comes closer to the skin and the leathery aspect takes a glorious leadership, with everything you could smell before but now in the background, and the leather simules how skin can smell luxurious and heavenly for itself. A true masterpiece concept.
Sadly everything goes down too fast, and in three - four hours, become a skin scent without the initial magic.
Masterpiece anyway.

Chypre Palatin
International Fragrance Association (IFRA) restrictions on materials have made the chypre the bellwether in the reformulation debate. Limiting the quantity of oakmoss that may be used and the type of bergamot allowed, the IFRA have knocked out two legs of the chypre tripod. The limitations have pushed perfumers to reconsider composition and materials-producers to search for novel chemicals and botanicals.

The question remains: is it possible to make a true chypre perfume today? And if so, how? I don’t know the engineering of perfume composition enough to say what’s under the hood of the current lineup of chypre perfumes, but there seem to be a few strategies. Chanel go the route of re-creating the geometry of the composition so as to suggest the chypre. Thierry Wasser has apparently fiddled with the forces of the nature and reconfigured the chemical structure of oakmoss (Mitsouko) and reanimated the chypre. Vero Kern, god knows how, simply makes a chypre with Onda.

The wonder of the chypre is that you smell bergamot, oakmoss and amber at the same time that the totality of the perfume rises above the materials. Chypre Palatin has some of the characteristic elements of the chypre. It has great sillage in the headnotes, a raspy heart and a warm, leathery drydown. Like a chypre its evolution is gradual but substantive. Overall, though, it’s simply smells like the sum of its parts.

Chypre Palatin lacks this synergy and therefore lacks soul. In a go-big-or-go-home attempt to deceive, Parfums MDCI would have us believe that Chypre Palatin is not simply a chypre, but a ‘palatial’ one and they charge accordingly. ($250/75 ml) Despite Parfums MDCI’s goal of high art in perfume, a big-name perfumer and an emphasis on the finest materials, Chypre Palatin swings and misses. It is a chypre in the way a tofu steak is meat and carob-chip cookies are satisfying. It doesn’t appear like an attempt to reinvent the chypre so much as a ploy to fool the buyer.

from scenthurdle.com

SuperfredeSuperfrede 3 months ago
This is something else. Hard to describe/classify. To me it gives an impression of bubble gum mixed with a lot of florals other ingredients.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 2 years ago
Opening with orange, lavender and green notes. A well blended Chypre with a sweet amber, a balsamic and animalic base. Resinous and powdery.
TombbbTombbb 2 years ago
Too much benzoin, it overshadows everything else. Besides that lavender, spices, a lot of green notes.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 2 years ago
Initially bright fruity-green, this creamy and soft floriental Chypre is nicely balanced by a slightly sweet and warm animalic-resinous base
Q8baggioQ8baggio 5 years ago
citrus goodness...smooth sweet Ambery chypre ...perfect new take on chypre .
HermeshHermesh 7 years ago
A modern classic. Stylish and elegant. Duchaufour's masterpiece!

by Ovaissaleem
by RobK
by RobK
by Eggi37
by Eggi37
Chypre Palatin - der Pfalzgrafen-Chypre!
by Florblanca
by Iljo0703
by Miaw2
by Miaw2

Popular by Parfums MDCI

Invasion Barbare by Parfums MDCI Cuir Garamante by Parfums MDCI Fêtes Persanes by Parfums MDCI Nuit Andalouse by Parfums MDCI Vêpres Siciliennes by Parfums MDCI Les Indes Galantes by Parfums MDCI Le Rivage des Syrtes by Parfums MDCI La Belle Hélène by Parfums MDCI Péché Cardinal by Parfums MDCI Un Cœur en Mai by Parfums MDCI L'Homme aux Gants by Parfums MDCI Ambre Topkapi by Parfums MDCI Cuir Cavalier by Parfums MDCI Rose de Siwa by Parfums MDCI L'Elégant by Parfums MDCI Cio Cio San by Parfums MDCI Le Barbier de Tanger by Parfums MDCI La Surprise by Parfums MDCI Promesse de l'Aube by Parfums MDCI Bleu Satin by Parfums MDCI