Invasion Barbare 2005

Invasion Barbare by Parfums MDCI
Top 87 in Men's Perfume
Invasion Barbare is a popular perfume by Parfums MDCI for men and was released in 2005. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Grapefruit, Violet leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesGinger, Cardamom, Lavender, White thyme
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Vanilla, Cedarwood

Submitted by Andi136, last update on 21.02.2021.

Barbare Shop
For a long time i was curious to try this scent as there has always been leanings toward this being one of the best in its genre. This review is from a sample obtained from a MDCI retailer, i hope you enjoy the review and thank you for watching.

Different fougere!

It's one of those fragrances you try and you know one day you're gonna have it in your collection!

A different take on fougere style I would say. It starts fougery with lavander, thyme, bergamot, violet leaf then ginger, cardamom, vanilla, musk and patchouli tough I cannot detect it at all. So if you're not a fan of patchouli, you don't need to be affraid to try or even buy this! And then after a while musky vanilla is starting to pop out! Really divine, masculine and clean fragrance! Most prominent notes are lavander, cardamom, violet leaves and vanilla.

Lasting power is 8-9 hours on my skin and sillage is in between moderate and heavy, like, people will notice you wear it but it won't be tacky but at the same time will interest ones around you. Also, great for formal occasions for the confident people with strong character.
Caracalla...
...was perhaps the last of the great Roman emperors before the dawn of Late Antiquity and the imperial crisis of the 3rd century. He was reviled by his contemporaries and (only partly) untrue legends from senatorial historiography were to shape our negative image of him. Nevertheless, for many years he remained the only resounding name on the Roman imperial throne until Diocletian ascended the latter at Nicomedia. At least he seems to be well-known enough to grace the bottle of this MDCI bottle - at least that's the majority finding of a survey among people who are well-versed in ancient art history. I do find the bust chic, but that's a matter of taste. However, whether the almost double price for the flacon with resin bust or even a four-digit amount for the flacon version with Limoges porcelain are really justified, you may decide for yourself.

Even without Caracalla on top, the fragrance is in any case no Cheapie, but for me worth the money. So much I may already anticipate. Here follows my first detailed commentary and I hope to be allowed to inspire some with it perhaps even of the fragrance.

Caracalla's foreign policy was characterized more by his expansion policy in the east of the empire than by the defense against barbarian invasions. So why does this emperor, of all people, grace the bottle of Invasion Barbarian? Perhaps we will never know.

Herb would certainly be an understatement for the emperor, who probably had a five-figure number of people murdered out of sheer paranoia. For the start of IB, though, it's a pretty good description. It's fresh at the same time, and I think I heard a few, small aquatic notes - though maybe that's just the waters of the Tiber drifting over to the imperial palace. The wind seems to turn, however, because I had the note only very briefly in the nose

The namesake heavy hooded cloak that the emperor had tailored for himself from a pattern of his own design is deeply drenched in the scent of lavender from Caracalla's Gallic homeland. The lavender is absolutely present in this fragrance and I'm amazed at how much I like it anyway. As a self-confessed lavender skeptic, IB still manages to excite me. Because the lavender is here very well embedded in the overall composition and comes out for me as a stand-alone fragrance part at the very most towards the end of the drydown.

From the Germanic campaign (should that be the barbarians, to which Invasion Barbare alludes?) at the beginning of his reign Caracalla then brings hints of moss, as well as juniper and various other herbs. At this point, the fragrance also becomes very masculine - which it already is all along, but at this point, this accent comes out again particularly clearly.

In terms of foreign policy, however, his expansionist policy in the east of the empire was to be more influential thereafter. Smell-intensive woods from the eastern Mediterranean area one smells here just as out as a pepper note. By the then already flourishing India trade should have found the emperor here in Asia Minor certainly a good source.

When time comes to an end, a certain old age should always set in. With Caracalla this was hardly the case: With just 29 he fell victim to an assassination attempt, which was only made possible by his own paranoia and reign of terror. The scent, on the other hand, gets creamier towards the end. Vanilla and tonka I can smell out well. Caracalla should have known the two fragrances just as little as his barbarian contemporaries, because both plants are native to North and South America, respectively, and have started from there only a few centuries later their journey across the world.

Lavender, oak moss, tonka - actually everything you need for a classic barbershop fragrance. And perhaps here is then but also the connection to Caracalla: For he had, to bring the Roman people on his side, a huge, admission-free thermal complex built in the city.

Despite all the inconsistencies in naming and bust selection: The complex scent is definitely worthy of an emperor - whether Caracalla, with his highly questionable methods of making politics that didn't even stop at his own nuclear family, is exactly the right emperor for it? I don't know. Contrary to what ancient and modern historians say about Caracalla's qualities as an emperor, this fragrance is a great one. For me, IB is a great fragrance with one of the most complex and interesting scents I've had the pleasure of having in - or on - my hand. The various components can be smelled out well on the Tel, but above all they blend into an overall scent that can simply be described as interesting, stimulating and pleasant. Maybe nothing for the central Italian high summer; but occasion-related I can imagine him both on the campaign, after the visit to the thermal baths or even at the celebrations in the context of the great games!

Shahram1361
Beware of a glorious invasion.
The hype over this stuff is real.it is incredibly well blended and classy which
takes the fougere scents to another level.
The creamy powderyness heart parade with freshness and spicyness of top through muskynes.
Bergamot cardamom of top penetrate softly through voilet leaf and lavender that create an smooth exquisite aroma where musk and cedar complete the dreamy vibes of this scent.
Its really a masterpiece and a must in classic barbershop lovers .
Invasion Gârtnèr
I became aware of this fragrance through its sensational bottle. Pretty shallow, I know. But until you get to know someone better, you often go by their appearance.

Then it happened that a travel bottle of the barbarian was offered, which I then secured from a nice perfume. Of course, the travel flacon was much simpler and more disreputable than the parade flacon with the Roman bust. I assumed for a long time that it was the Roman dictator Caesar, but this cannot be verified on the wonderfully unprofessionally designed website of MDCI.

The name of the perfume made me expect a much more tart and woody scent. A closer study of the individual notes might have enlightened me. Invasion Barbare starts in my nose directly full of herbaceous citric. It throws the top note at you, ruthlessly... like a real barbarian. Here the barbarian swings the brute lavender leg after a short time and throws all kinds of plucked garden plants around him. I perceive this romp for about 30 minutes. After that the barbarian seems to become aware of his anger and gets a bad conscience, becomes calmer and plants the plucked out plants fine and clean back into the beds and bushes. He ends with a still slightly herbaceous sweetness and woodiness and all in all spends a whole day well perceptible on me.

Invasion Barbarian I imagined as a gentleman's scent that would be great to wear in the office. Well, tough luck. I'm afraid that's out of the question for me. I like scents with wowm, but when the wowm is triggered by lavender, scents seem too old-fashioned. All in all a good, strong scent, which I don't like to smell on me.

Thanks for reading
FvSpee
Lavender Innovations No 2: Tchaikovsky.
In the whole huge perfume database, there are as far as I can see only two perfumes (and completely unknown ones at that) that contain mustard. Invasion Barbare does not contain any either. I chose this introductory sentence because now I'm adding my mustard as well. Which isn't really necessary, because there are already many very good comments on this fragrance (actually, in my opinion, ALL previous reviewers had something good and beautiful to contribute).

Mine is Invasion Barbarian is a two-in-one product. First we have a super innovative unisex retro fragrance that lasts about 30 minutes, then a CUT follows and then comes a men's fragrance that lasts about 8 hours, also funny and innovative, but a bit conventional, with a strong lavender component. The two fragrances actually don't have much to do with each other. I call them "invasion" (30 minutes) and "barbarian" (8 hours).

Invasion is really charming. An OH, AH, TOLL scent. I first tested it in parallel with Oud from Piguet, one on the right arm, one on the left. I had expected something beautiful with Oud and something bizarrely ugly with Invasion Barbarian, given the name, like the "Splendid Excretions" from the "Orange Free State". Funnily enough, it was the other way round, I was totally carried away by "Invasion". I don't feel the supposedly existing citric, I smell an incredibly soft, gentle, velvety, almost creamy floraliness with green touches, a moderate sweetness married to a massive, but not overwhelming astringency, never tipping over into the bombastic or sweetish. Due to the strong floweriness and presumably slight aldehydic influences, Invasion is absolutely acceptable for men (at least for real men who do not need a macho fragrance as a prosthesis of masculinity), but it is anything but a classic "men's fragrance". The fragrance is sensual (and at the same time melancholic) in a way that cannot be clearly placed in a particular gender corner. It seems to me in a similarly unspectacular way "retro", or in the most successful modern way, taking up ideas of old perfume glory, further and further back, Roaring Twenties, Secession, even to the Empire.

After about 20 minutes the end of Invasion is indicated by an increase in the harsh, austere notes. They then become denser, darker and almost seem animalistic and threatening. Interestingly enough, during this short transition period, I can see lavender for the first time, which is not really associated with particularly horrifying ideas ("Larry the Killer Lavender"). This is when Invasion goes under. With "invasion" connected only by a thin lavender thread "barbarian" begins.

"Barbarian" reminds me strongly of Tchaikovsky's "Overture 1812". The work is supposed to depict the French invasion of Russia in 1812. As a stylistic device for the changeable battles between Napoleon and the Russians, the Marseillaise and the Russian anthem are therefore "faded in" from time to time, and so it swings back and forth with the fortunes of battle. A little bit like that it seems to me here, too. In the first few hours of "Barbare", there is more of a radiant, powerful, strong, sometimes even bright and clear lavender in the foreground (which, however, has a considerable penetrating power and does not blow around ethereally and shapelessly), but sometimes also an oriental spiciness, which combines an almost eucalyptic freshness with a leathery-dark variant of Old-Spiceism. So this is the way it goes back and forth, and what connects the two poles to a unity is here a brace of solidity and power. Even if the fragrance doesn't have a roaring sillage, you don't necessarily want to encounter it alone on the street.

After about 2 hours, "Barbarian" becomes noticeably sweeter and more uniform overall, duality tends to settle down. The lavender powderiness remains noticeable until the end, i.e. for about 8 hours, but in addition there is a specific sweetness that goes into the soap, which is almost pungent when smelling close to the skin. If you sniff with arm's length distance, you will not notice it. Then you are more likely to smell the dry lavender cleanliness already described here. In this phase the scent still seems firm, but no longer heavy. Balsa wood so to speak. At some point everything dims sweet and powdery. "Barbarian" is therefore not totally linear, but already clearly recognizable as a uniform scent development and as a distinct men's scent
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to make of it. I think invasion is great, it blows my mind and is something very special, but where is the question allowed "is it suitable for everyday life"? I also find barbarians very beautiful, a great classic men's fragrance, perhaps of the calibre of an Antaeus (no fragrance twins!), but this raises the question of whether one should spend such a lot of money on it. In view of the fact that the little nose by my side does not like invasion or barbarians and because of the ugly porcelain head I will refrain from buying it.

Of course, I must also mention the name: "Invasions Barbares" (in plural) simply means "migration of peoples" in French. "L'age des invasions barbares" is the age of the migration of peoples. You can see it there: What is declared a merry company outing with mountain boots and a Tyrolean hat from a Germanic point of view, comes across to our Latin friends rather as an intrusion of robbing, plundering and brute-force hordes. Question of perspective. But my French is not fine enough to judge what it means when the term is used in the singular. Does the average Jean-Pierre still think of "migration of peoples" or does it really mean something more like "barbarian invasion"? I don't know. And I also have no idea how to associate this scent with migration or invasion in general. Maybe the Romans smelled like lavender, but the Germans certainly didn't smell like Old Spice, more like Old Sweat. The curtain closed, and all questions open.
A true gentleman
First you can notice an intense and strong sweetish floral note, which also brings a nice soft spice and is due to the violet leaf.

At the same time, the violet leaf is accompanied by a fine sweet fruity nuance, which also brings a discreet refreshing bitter tone and comes from the grapefruit.

These two notes are accompanied by a very delicate citric herbaceous nuance, which in my opinion, in combination with the grapefruit, ensures that the top note does not drift into the sweet - sticky, but appears refreshingly sweet - soft and comes from the bergamot
A little later a beautiful citric, slightly woody and soft Mediterranean, sweetly herbaceous note reaches out to the hand to become a true gentleman and to be owed to the ginger in the team game with the lavender.

These two notes are accompanied by a fine, almost tender aromatic, slightly sweet spicy nuance, which gives the fragrance a pleasant substance and comes from the cardamom.

In the background there is a beautiful ethereal, softly balsamic, very discreetly herbaceous shade, which makes me feel as if I was rubbing my fingers against a mint leaf and giving the fragrance a very interesting masculine aspect and I have typed here on eucalyptus instead of white thyme and I also confess that the existence of white thyme has not been known to me at all until today
In the further course a wonderful note becomes noticeable, which I already loved as a child and always stood beside my stepfather and "sniffed", if he shaved himself and waited longingly for it that it was again so far that he had to put on the blades, and/or wanted and in the last 3.5 hours for a great conclusion provides
Shaving foam - but with a fine soft wooden tone, which I really like very much and suspect the wood shavings here.

But it won't be dull, old-fashioned or even musty, but held by the clear-looking musk in a direction that you won't get tired of and I really feel very pleasant.

Unfortunately, I couldn't really appreciate vanilla, but I can imagine very well that this note was used for completion.

In total the fragrance lasts 9 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is conceived from the outset in such a way that one is perceived very clearly at a whole arm's length and this is maintained also 4.5 hours in such a way, before it reduces itself up to the conclusion of the smell in quiet steps.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfume "MaxPower" for the rehearsal.
Mediterranean landscape ?
Invasion was my signature scent for years. For me, Invasion Barbarian is the epitome of the cultivated man. In the beginning, IB didn't remind me of a classic perfume, but rather of a fragrance that emanated from various high-quality men's care products such as shaving foam, soap, shampoo, beard oil, etc. I have tried hundreds of perfumes in search of a suitable signature scent but none has convinced me as much as IB. The durability is excellent and the Sillage just still so that one goes with it nobody on the nerves.
In an English forum someone once wrote that IB reminded him of "freshly washed laundry" - I can well understand this association. I use a washing powder from Aldi with lavender; there we already have an explanation for the similarity.

My main association with IB, however, is much more complex. About 15 years ago I was a prospective plant science student and in one summer I did an internship of several months in a tree nursery in Tuscany. I was surrounded daily by Mediterranean plants and intense scents and I have to admit that I wasn't interested in scents or perfumes at that time. In my spare time I often went to the coast and went hiking in the mediterranean landscape. A landscape form was often represented - the Mediterranean macchia. This is a very dry, steppe-like landscape in summer with rather low vegetation - the Macchie is often found on the coasts of Italy and Greece. Googlet that one ! Characteristic for the plants of the Macchie is also their high oil content and the strong aromatic scents. Typical plants are lavender, broom, cistus roses, myrtles. Strawberry trees etc. They often grow in loose groups on clayey, grey earth with many stones up to rocks. The scents are very numerous and especially intense in the dry summer months.

Well, what can I say, IB reminds me strongly of the scent of this macchia and I mean a combination of the plants and the soil. IB is for me not only a cultivated fragrance but also a memory of a very nice, carefree time. IB smells like untouched nature for me !

I've been buying IB for years from Sharings of the sampling program because I think it's expensive. Nevertheless I would have bought the 75ml version of IB if there had been no other possibility.

Chillout Base.
Now, let me tell you something. MCDC makes basic fragrances.
You may not believe that at first, but you can say that and smell it.
Head and heart notes are simply skipped mercilessly, what I had under my thumb up to now was a big whole and pretty big at the same time.

The barbarian is the best of my 3-man squad, that's for sure.
Who can smell the lavender here explicitly, who can what, is also certain.
For me this is a magic musk with a melancholic, fruity and flowery holiday base, which, as I said, starts right in advance, if you didn't expect it yet, or maybe you're not ready for it yet.
The paper noses of this forum smell Guerlain-Dupes at MCID (rightly), but unfortunately they have no idea.
These things are much rounder and fuller than a Jaques or Claude could ever mix.

MDiC surprises you subliminally and super quietly with super-threshold and bass-subtle loudness, as Sennheiser and BOSE have yet to learn.
Only the arrangement of the letters of your label should perhaps be reconsidered,
otherwise 1,000,000 of 10 possible points.

~ Nu-gere Fougere Invasion ~
~ How do you sit down and attempt to add something constructive to a famed fougere bottle that's been reviewed from every angle? Out of the mouth of babes perhaps? I asked my youngest son at the kitchen table what this scent reminded him of? I was surprised when he said, "Dad this reminds me of the fanciest store at the mall....you know the one with the escalator and pretty salesladies in dresses with lots of fancy new things on the shelves!" As simple as that is from a child's imagination it does fit the image that IB gives of everything new, upscale and elegant. This newness image surely must be found in the powdery cardamom and lavender but it's the long lasting grapefruit and violet opening that's making the sales pitch here and a very persuasive one indeed! Simple yet complex, fresh yet sparkling, light yet deep, calming yet invigorating. Perhaps the most pricy versatile people-pleaser money can buy! When my sample is done I may find I will start an "Invasion" fund for a full bottle but the artistic bust topper will have to wait! I have too many other new children's toys to buy at that fancy store in the mall!
Kind Regards, Plat ~

PS Oh yes, 10/10!

TombbbTombbb 7 months ago
I hate lavender. I love this perfume. To me, it is really sweet, a bit fruity and floral, but with heavy woody base and vanilla icing.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 7 months ago
After a short fresh-citric opening, this creamy-spicy, yet very clean Oriental Fougère slowly settles to a gentle warm-woody base.
SergioTSergioT 1 year ago
Best barbershop ever. Nothing comes close to this perfect blend of class and sofistication. Perfection in my book.
ToreterToreter 2 years ago
Masculine, long lasting and serious. Vintage Fahrenheit came to my mind takin me back 2 teenage days as was my sign scent.
A+
MrFumejunkieMrFumejunkie 3 years ago
The barbarians invasion, Mayfair suited and booted Savile Row style, the smart gentleman's choice. My IQ goes up 20 points when i wear this.
HajuvanaHajuvana 4 years ago
Apart from notes of veterinary clinic and clay contributing to a rounder, earthy feel, the major difference to Sartorial still lies in price.
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Elegant barbarians: lavender, spice and woods - warm, mature and sophisticated.

by MrFumejunkie
by Miaw2
by SonyCrockett
by SonyCrockett

Popular Parfums MDCI

Chypre Palatin by Parfums MDCI Cuir Garamante by Parfums MDCI Vêpres Siciliennes by Parfums MDCI Le Rivage des Syrtes by Parfums MDCI Nuit Andalouse by Parfums MDCI Fêtes Persanes by Parfums MDCI Les Indes Galantes by Parfums MDCI La Belle Hélène by Parfums MDCI L'Homme aux Gants by Parfums MDCI Un Cœur en Mai by Parfums MDCI Péché Cardinal by Parfums MDCI Ambre Topkapi by Parfums MDCI Cuir Cavalier by Parfums MDCI Rose de Siwa by Parfums MDCI Bleu Satin by Parfums MDCI Cio Cio San by Parfums MDCI Le Barbier de Tanger by Parfums MDCI La Surprise by Parfums MDCI Promesse de l'Aube by Parfums MDCI Enlèvement au Sérail by Parfums MDCI