Invasion Barbare 2005

Invasion Barbare by Parfums MDCI
Top 53 in Men's Perfume
Invasion Barbare is a popular perfume by Parfums MDCI for men and was released in 2005. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Grapefruit, Violet leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesGinger, Cardamom, Lavender, White thyme
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Vanilla, Cedarwood

Submitted by Andi136, last update on 20.09.2020.

Invasion Gârtnèr
I became aware of this fragrance through its sensational bottle. Pretty shallow, I know. But until you get to know someone better, you often go by their appearance.

Then it happened that a travel bottle of the barbarian was offered, which I then secured from a nice perfume. Of course, the travel flacon was much simpler and more disreputable than the parade flacon with the Roman bust. I assumed for a long time that it was the Roman dictator Caesar, but this cannot be verified on the wonderfully unprofessionally designed website of MDCI.

The name of the perfume made me expect a much more tart and woody scent. A closer study of the individual notes might have enlightened me. Invasion Barbare starts in my nose directly full of herbaceous citric. It throws the top note at you, ruthlessly... like a real barbarian. Here the barbarian swings the brute lavender leg after a short time and throws all kinds of plucked garden plants around him. I perceive this romp for about 30 minutes. After that the barbarian seems to become aware of his anger and gets a bad conscience, becomes calmer and plants the plucked out plants fine and clean back into the beds and bushes. He ends with a still slightly herbaceous sweetness and woodiness and all in all spends a whole day well perceptible on me.

Invasion Barbarian I imagined as a gentleman's scent that would be great to wear in the office. Well, tough luck. I'm afraid that's out of the question for me. I like scents with wowm, but when the wowm is triggered by lavender, scents seem too old-fashioned. All in all a good, strong scent, which I don't like to smell on me.

Thanks for reading
FvSpee
Lavender Innovations No 2: Tchaikovsky.
In the whole huge perfume database, there are as far as I can see only two perfumes (and completely unknown ones at that) that contain mustard. Invasion Barbare does not contain any either. I chose this introductory sentence because now I'm adding my mustard as well. Which isn't really necessary, because there are already many very good comments on this fragrance (actually, in my opinion, ALL previous reviewers had something good and beautiful to contribute).

Mine is Invasion Barbarian is a two-in-one product. First we have a super innovative unisex retro fragrance that lasts about 30 minutes, then a CUT follows and then comes a men's fragrance that lasts about 8 hours, also funny and innovative, but a bit conventional, with a strong lavender component. The two fragrances actually don't have much to do with each other. I call them "invasion" (30 minutes) and "barbarian" (8 hours).

Invasion is really charming. An OH, AH, TOLL scent. I first tested it in parallel with Oud from Piguet, one on the right arm, one on the left. I had expected something beautiful with Oud and something bizarrely ugly with Invasion Barbarian, given the name, like the "Splendid Excretions" from the "Orange Free State". Funnily enough, it was the other way round, I was totally carried away by "Invasion". I don't feel the supposedly existing citric, I smell an incredibly soft, gentle, velvety, almost creamy floraliness with green touches, a moderate sweetness married to a massive, but not overwhelming astringency, never tipping over into the bombastic or sweetish. Due to the strong floweriness and presumably slight aldehydic influences, Invasion is absolutely acceptable for men (at least for real men who do not need a macho fragrance as a prosthesis of masculinity), but it is anything but a classic "men's fragrance". The fragrance is sensual (and at the same time melancholic) in a way that cannot be clearly placed in a particular gender corner. It seems to me in a similarly unspectacular way "retro", or in the most successful modern way, taking up ideas of old perfume glory, further and further back, Roaring Twenties, Secession, even to the Empire.

After about 20 minutes the end of Invasion is indicated by an increase in the harsh, austere notes. They then become denser, darker and almost seem animalistic and threatening. Interestingly enough, during this short transition period, I can see lavender for the first time, which is not really associated with particularly horrifying ideas ("Larry the Killer Lavender"). This is when Invasion goes under. With "invasion" connected only by a thin lavender thread "barbarian" begins.

"Barbarian" reminds me strongly of Tchaikovsky's "Overture 1812". The work is supposed to depict the French invasion of Russia in 1812. As a stylistic device for the changeable battles between Napoleon and the Russians, the Marseillaise and the Russian anthem are therefore "faded in" from time to time, and so it swings back and forth with the fortunes of battle. A little bit like that it seems to me here, too. In the first few hours of "Barbare", there is more of a radiant, powerful, strong, sometimes even bright and clear lavender in the foreground (which, however, has a considerable penetrating power and does not blow around ethereally and shapelessly), but sometimes also an oriental spiciness, which combines an almost eucalyptic freshness with a leathery-dark variant of Old-Spiceism. So this is the way it goes back and forth, and what connects the two poles to a unity is here a brace of solidity and power. Even if the fragrance doesn't have a roaring sillage, you don't necessarily want to encounter it alone on the street.

After about 2 hours, "Barbarian" becomes noticeably sweeter and more uniform overall, duality tends to settle down. The lavender powderiness remains noticeable until the end, i.e. for about 8 hours, but in addition there is a specific sweetness that goes into the soap, which is almost pungent when smelling close to the skin. If you sniff with arm's length distance, you will not notice it. Then you are more likely to smell the dry lavender cleanliness already described here. In this phase the scent still seems firm, but no longer heavy. Balsa wood so to speak. At some point everything dims sweet and powdery. "Barbarian" is therefore not totally linear, but already clearly recognizable as a uniform scent development and as a distinct men's scent
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to make of it. I think invasion is great, it blows my mind and is something very special, but where is the question allowed "is it suitable for everyday life"? I also find barbarians very beautiful, a great classic men's fragrance, perhaps of the calibre of an Antaeus (no fragrance twins!), but this raises the question of whether one should spend such a lot of money on it. In view of the fact that the little nose by my side does not like invasion or barbarians and because of the ugly porcelain head I will refrain from buying it.

Of course, I must also mention the name: "Invasions Barbares" (in plural) simply means "migration of peoples" in French. "L'age des invasions barbares" is the age of the migration of peoples. You can see it there: What is declared a merry company outing with mountain boots and a Tyrolean hat from a Germanic point of view, comes across to our Latin friends rather as an intrusion of robbing, plundering and brute-force hordes. Question of perspective. But my French is not fine enough to judge what it means when the term is used in the singular. Does the average Jean-Pierre still think of "migration of peoples" or does it really mean something more like "barbarian invasion"? I don't know. And I also have no idea how to associate this scent with migration or invasion in general. Maybe the Romans smelled like lavender, but the Germans certainly didn't smell like Old Spice, more like Old Sweat. The curtain closed, and all questions open.
A true gentleman
First you can notice an intense and strong sweetish floral note, which also brings a nice soft spice and is due to the violet leaf.

At the same time, the violet leaf is accompanied by a fine sweet fruity nuance, which also brings a discreet refreshing bitter tone and comes from the grapefruit.

These two notes are accompanied by a very delicate citric herbaceous nuance, which in my opinion, in combination with the grapefruit, ensures that the top note does not drift into the sweet - sticky, but appears refreshingly sweet - soft and comes from the bergamot
A little later a beautiful citric, slightly woody and soft Mediterranean, sweetly herbaceous note reaches out to the hand to become a true gentleman and to be owed to the ginger in the team game with the lavender.

These two notes are accompanied by a fine, almost tender aromatic, slightly sweet spicy nuance, which gives the fragrance a pleasant substance and comes from the cardamom.

In the background there is a beautiful ethereal, softly balsamic, very discreetly herbaceous shade, which makes me feel as if I was rubbing my fingers against a mint leaf and giving the fragrance a very interesting masculine aspect and I have typed here on eucalyptus instead of white thyme and I also confess that the existence of white thyme has not been known to me at all until today
In the further course a wonderful note becomes noticeable, which I already loved as a child and always stood beside my stepfather and "sniffed", if he shaved himself and waited longingly for it that it was again so far that he had to put on the blades, and/or wanted and in the last 3.5 hours for a great conclusion provides
Shaving foam - but with a fine soft wooden tone, which I really like very much and suspect the wood shavings here.

But it won't be dull, old-fashioned or even musty, but held by the clear-looking musk in a direction that you won't get tired of and I really feel very pleasant.

Unfortunately, I couldn't really appreciate vanilla, but I can imagine very well that this note was used for completion.

In total the fragrance lasts 9 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is conceived from the outset in such a way that one is perceived very clearly at a whole arm's length and this is maintained also 4.5 hours in such a way, before it reduces itself up to the conclusion of the smell in quiet steps.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfume "MaxPower" for the rehearsal.
Mediterranean landscape ?
Invasion was my signature scent for years. For me, Invasion Barbarian is the epitome of the cultivated man. In the beginning, IB didn't remind me of a classic perfume, but rather of a fragrance that emanated from various high-quality men's care products such as shaving foam, soap, shampoo, beard oil, etc. I have tried hundreds of perfumes in search of a suitable signature scent but none has convinced me as much as IB. The durability is excellent and the Sillage just still so that one goes with it nobody on the nerves.
In an English forum someone once wrote that IB reminded him of "freshly washed laundry" - I can well understand this association. I use a washing powder from Aldi with lavender; there we already have an explanation for the similarity.

My main association with IB, however, is much more complex. About 15 years ago I was a prospective plant science student and in one summer I did an internship of several months in a tree nursery in Tuscany. I was surrounded daily by Mediterranean plants and intense scents and I have to admit that I wasn't interested in scents or perfumes at that time. In my spare time I often went to the coast and went hiking in the mediterranean landscape. A landscape form was often represented - the Mediterranean macchia. This is a very dry, steppe-like landscape in summer with rather low vegetation - the Macchie is often found on the coasts of Italy and Greece. Googlet that one ! Characteristic for the plants of the Macchie is also their high oil content and the strong aromatic scents. Typical plants are lavender, broom, cistus roses, myrtles. Strawberry trees etc. They often grow in loose groups on clayey, grey earth with many stones up to rocks. The scents are very numerous and especially intense in the dry summer months.

Well, what can I say, IB reminds me strongly of the scent of this macchia and I mean a combination of the plants and the soil. IB is for me not only a cultivated fragrance but also a memory of a very nice, carefree time. IB smells like untouched nature for me !

I've been buying IB for years from Sharings of the sampling program because I think it's expensive. Nevertheless I would have bought the 75ml version of IB if there had been no other possibility.

Chillout Base.
Now, let me tell you something. MCDC makes basic fragrances.
You may not believe that at first, but you can say that and smell it.
Head and heart notes are simply skipped mercilessly, what I had under my thumb up to now was a big whole and pretty big at the same time.

The barbarian is the best of my 3-man squad, that's for sure.
Who can smell the lavender here explicitly, who can what, is also certain.
For me this is a magic musk with a melancholic, fruity and flowery holiday base, which, as I said, starts right in advance, if you didn't expect it yet, or maybe you're not ready for it yet.
The paper noses of this forum smell Guerlain-Dupes at MCID (rightly), but unfortunately they have no idea.
These things are much rounder and fuller than a Jaques or Claude could ever mix.

MDiC surprises you subliminally and super quietly with super-threshold and bass-subtle loudness, as Sennheiser and BOSE have yet to learn.
Only the arrangement of the letters of your label should perhaps be reconsidered,
otherwise 1,000,000 of 10 possible points.

~ Nu-gere Fougere Invasion ~
~ How do you sit down and attempt to add something constructive to a famed fougere bottle that's been reviewed from every angle? Out of the mouth of babes perhaps? I asked my youngest son at the kitchen table what this scent reminded him of? I was surprised when he said, "Dad this reminds me of the fanciest store at the mall....you know the one with the escalator and pretty salesladies in dresses with lots of fancy new things on the shelves!" As simple as that is from a child's imagination it does fit the image that IB gives of everything new, upscale and elegant. This newness image surely must be found in the powdery cardamom and lavender but it's the long lasting grapefruit and violet opening that's making the sales pitch here and a very persuasive one indeed! Simple yet complex, fresh yet sparkling, light yet deep, calming yet invigorating. Perhaps the most pricy versatile people-pleaser money can buy! When my sample is done I may find I will start an "Invasion" fund for a full bottle but the artistic bust topper will have to wait! I have too many other new children's toys to buy at that fancy store in the mall!
Kind Regards, Plat ~

PS Oh yes, 10/10!

daily-wear
Perfumer Stéphanie Bakouche, 2007

I'm all for dismissing gender entirely in perfume.  Or at least fucking with it.  It’s been noted that men and women relate differently to their fragrances if they wear only one ("The One").  For women it's The Signature Perfume.  For men it's merely Old Faithful.  The implication is that women are notable for their desire to be noticed, to stand out while men are simply creatures of habit;  that women want a screamer like Dior Poison and men will wear only [insert brand] eau de cologne. This set of assumptions is both limiting and false.  Still, Old Faithful does point to an odd set of circumstances that has lead to some outstanding men's fragrances. (See The Masculine Chypre.)

There are loads of women's perfumes that I can imagine as The One.  Clinique Aromatics Elixir.  Lauder Private Collection. Robert Piguet Futur. Cuir de Lancome.  Amouage Jubilation 25.  Parfums de Nicolai Odalisque.  There are also all the Edmond Roudnitska unisex perfumes (unisex by public acclamation if not by marketing): Dior Eau Sauvage, Diorella, Frederic Malle Parfum de Thérèse. These perfumes, while gorgeous and complex, are conceptually easy for women to wear.

The One for men, and there are surprisingly many of them, have a more complicated set of goals to fulfill. They need to meet the needs of the male ego.  They must balance individuality with group affiliation and the need to be noticed with the inability to ask for help.  They balance the complications and fragility of masculinity on the fulcrum of beauty. (See Masculine Fragrances for Men.)

The relationship of The One to beauty is complex for men. The fragrance must be attractive from all angles, from start to finish yet not imply femininity or homosexuality.   And despite my vocabulary, it must never be referred to as either perfume or beautiful.  (Cologne and handsome will suffice.)  Its beauty must be recognized instantaneously yet appreciated over the course of years.  These perfumes tend to become classics over the years even if they were initially unconventional.  They lead the way.  Examples are Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel, Aramis by Aramis (granted, a version of the 'feminine'  Gres Cabochard), Old Spice, Guerlain Habit Rouge, Caron Pour un Homme, Chanel Antaeus. Many if not most of the 20th century French men's chypres (Chanel, Givenchy, Rochas...) and fougères (Hermes, Azzaro, Paco Rabanne...) make the grade.

To my mind there are really only three.  They are flawless, unmatched and I would happily wear any of them forever.  Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Andy Tauer l'Air du Desert Marocain. Well, make that four. I’ve been wearing  Parfum MDCI Invasion Barbare.

Invasion Barbare's apparent simplicity belies it's breathtaking beauty. It alludes to other genres, the fougère, the oriental, even the woody floral, but smells original.  Its grapefruit and bergamot notes harmonize with lavender and give lift.  The cedar and violet leaf notes add a pitched, quietly hissy quality.  A daily-wear perfume in addition to its other tasks, must also be comfortable, a quality typically associated with warmth and a roundedness.  Invasion Barbare nixes this expectation and stays crisp 12 hours later.

An odd aromatherapeutic property of lavender is that it is both stimulating and sedative.  Invasion Barbare functions similarly and suits all the tones and moods of a day.  It is graceful.  Is there really any other criterion for a perfume you’d wear every day?

Drseid
A Nugere That Costs Mega-bucks...
Pleasant but mildly disappointing scent. It is quite restrained and easy to wear, but I kept smelling my wrist expecting more. I really find a hard time describing what it smells like, as it is pretty unique... But the closest thing that comes to mind is the scent of freshly laundered clothes. I really don't mean this in a negative way, but it just smells too subtle for my tastes... To add to the disappointment is the price... Invasion Barbare is quite expensive in relative terms for such a scent, IMO. I am not grading it lower due to this and I have nothing against high ticket scents as a general rule, but I know I will not be buying this one. 3 stars out of 5.

Richer more herbal Opus II infused with yarrow flowers
Not much to say. Balanced mix of lavender, cardamom and yarrow flowers. The sweet note has a violet feel to it, as in round and deep/dark. Not silly girly kinda sweet. But for me lavender, cardamom and yarrow pretty much sums it up :) Rich, dry, oldfashioned meets new. If The Body Shop were to launch a lavender-yarrow handcream in the same line as their hemp one, this is what I would expect it to smell like. Like it should have healing properties in say wound care. And don't get me wrong, I'm excited about it. But if you think Opus II was too "old man" well then you'll find the same lavender/cardamom combo here. If on the other hand like me you like Opus II but find it abit watered down/too much space between the ingredients, then this should fit just right :)

TombbbTombbb 37 days ago
I hate lavender. I love this perfume. To me, it is really sweet, a bit fruity and floral, but with heavy woody base and vanilla icing.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 45 days ago
After a short fresh-citric opening, this creamy-spicy, yet very clean Oriental Fougère slowly settles to a gentle warm-woody base.
SergioTSergioT 7 months ago
Best barbershop ever. Nothing comes close to this perfect blend of class and sofistication. Perfection in my book.
ToreterToreter 20 months ago
Masculine, long lasting and serious. Vintage Fahrenheit came to my mind takin me back 2 teenage days as was my sign scent.
A+
MrFumejunkieMrFumejunkie 3 years ago
The barbarians invasion, Mayfair suited and booted Savile Row style, the smart gentleman's choice. My IQ goes up 20 points when i wear this.
HajuvanaHajuvana 4 years ago
Apart from notes of veterinary clinic and clay contributing to a rounder, earthy feel, the major difference to Sartorial still lies in price.
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Elegant barbarians: lavender, spice and woods - warm, mature and sophisticated.

by MrFumejunkie
by Deefit
by Miaw2
by Miaw2

Popular Parfums MDCI

Chypre Palatin by Parfums MDCI Cuir Garamante by Parfums MDCI Fêtes Persanes by Parfums MDCI Vêpres Siciliennes by Parfums MDCI Le Rivage des Syrtes by Parfums MDCI Nuit Andalouse by Parfums MDCI Les Indes Galantes by Parfums MDCI La Belle Hélène by Parfums MDCI Péché Cardinal by Parfums MDCI Un Cœur en Mai by Parfums MDCI Ambre Topkapi by Parfums MDCI Cuir Cavalier by Parfums MDCI L'Homme aux Gants by Parfums MDCI Rose de Siwa by Parfums MDCI Cio Cio San by Parfums MDCI Bleu Satin by Parfums MDCI Le Barbier de Tanger by Parfums MDCI Promesse de l'Aube by Parfums MDCI La Surprise by Parfums MDCI Enlèvement au Sérail by Parfums MDCI