Le Rivage des Syrtes 2009

Le Rivage des Syrtes by Parfums MDCI
Le Rivage des Syrtes is a popular perfume by Parfums MDCI for women and was released in 2009. The scent is fruity-floral. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesPineapplePineapple
Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergrisAmbergris
MuskMusk
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by Andi136, last update on 06.09.2021.

The name “Le Rivage de Syrtes” (meaning "the shores of the gulfs of Sidra and Gabès") is a hommage to the homonymic novel by Julien Gracq of 1951.

Barely pleasant & outrageously overpriced
Rivage des Syrtes opens with a pleasant, silky, fresh, slightly metallic-aldehydic breeze of citrus notes (more precisely on the “orange-floral” side) blended with a synthetic, cyclogalbanate-like fruity note which you smell in several cheap fruity scents (that annoying “pineapple” note, which *always* carries that annoying sort of moldy-metallic aftertaste - and by the way, is used to build galbanum too), all posed on a sheer layer of white clean flowers – I get ylang more than tuberose. Green tips and a sandalwood base with a warm resinous-ambery aftertaste. Yawn. A barely pleasant and conventional Oriental fruity-powdery scent which tries to play the “random metallic-moldy crap unrelatedly juxtaposed to flowers and fruits” card to look creative and justify its surreal price.

5/10

Tar
Not so elegant as the statue on the bottle cap
I was really afraid of smelling LE RIVAGE DES SYRTES, since I could barely find even one perfume from MDCI, which would be wearable for me. But I am the utmost grateful for the creator of this fragrance! When I first smelled it, I could not stop laughing and smiling. This is really an unclouded perfume, no philosophy, no deep thougths, no solemnity.

Personal chemistry has a big rule in this game. I siffed this scent on another skin, and there showed it the face of mossy stones in the heart, with much more blossoms than on me.
For me it was an enchanting, happy sea of fruits, especially pineapple, but before reading the notes of course I (miss)guessed: honeydew melon, banana and others. It is not easy to identify pineapple in the mixture, even if it is purring through all the other notes, but pineapple is for me mostly a watery scent, and LE RIVAGES is rather a creamy and opulent miracle. Its sweetness is also fruity, so not cloying at all.

I am not wholly satisfied with lasting power, however even 24 hours would not get maximum points, since I want to smell it constantly.
Now I have to treasure my tiny sample.

Orange oil oriental?
Anyone who has cooked with orange or tangerine oil will recognize the pervasive orange oil scent in MDCI LE RIVAGE DES SYRTES. There is a clingy quality to orange oil which makes it infuse everything with which it comes in contact, and it persists on and on and on. I have used tangerine oil in chocolate desserts to tasty effect. But I must say that I'm not convinced that using such a powerful agent is the best idea in a haute niche perfume.

LE RIVAGE DES SYRTES opens with a lot of fruit, with both the pineapple and the orange very noticeable. There is a real succulence to the opening, and the characteristically high quality, the brightness of the ingredients which I have generally found in the other perfumes from MDCI is quite evident here as well.

However, rather than developing, LE RIVAGE DES SYRTES becomes stuck in orange oil mode. The pineapple fades away, while the orange actually seems to grow stronger, and the flowers are pretty much missing in action. I'd like to be able to say that this is a great orange perfume, but it just seems too one-sided to me. There probably is some significant development in here somewhere, but it's all covered up by the dominant orange oil note to the point where I cannot recommend this perfume to any but the most fanatical of orange lovers. Even then, I think that there are better orange perfume choices available, especially chez Hermès.

A softer Gilda
A softer less complex version of Pierre Wulff's Gilda. More emphasis on the pineapple here than in Gilda, but overall this is a gentler Gilda.

by Serge
by Serge

Popular Parfums MDCI

Chypre Palatin by Parfums MDCI Invasion Barbare by Parfums MDCI Cuir Garamante by Parfums MDCI Fêtes Persanes by Parfums MDCI Les Indes Galantes by Parfums MDCI Nuit Andalouse by Parfums MDCI Vêpres Siciliennes by Parfums MDCI La Belle Hélène by Parfums MDCI L'Homme aux Gants by Parfums MDCI Péché Cardinal by Parfums MDCI Un Cœur en Mai by Parfums MDCI Ambre Topkapi by Parfums MDCI Cuir Cavalier by Parfums MDCI Rose de Siwa by Parfums MDCI Cio Cio San by Parfums MDCI Bleu Satin by Parfums MDCI Le Barbier de Tanger by Parfums MDCI Promesse de l'Aube by Parfums MDCI La Surprise by Parfums MDCI L'Elégant by Parfums MDCI