Azemour Les Orangers 2011

Azemour Les Orangers by Parfum d'Empire
Bottle Design Bel Epok
Azemour Les Orangers is a popular perfume by Parfum d'Empire for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is citrusy-green. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesClementineClementine
Base Notes Base NotesHenna inkHenna ink
HayHay
MossMoss
SaltSalt

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 13.06.2021.

Orange of the earth
This review is based on the current bottle/formulation and as I have never tried any vintage, I cannot speak to what this is like now.
I feel this house in general is probably overlooked a little bit here in fragcult, but that is fine with me.

As always, comments are loved, likes are appreciated, and subscribers are my friends.

Concentrated light
When you reach for a bottle with Parfums d'Empire on it, you know you're getting the finest quality and finest fragrances. Almost always. "Azemour Les Orangers" is no exception
A green-yellow Garden of Eden - lush, gentle, warm. Rays of sun, classical music, no danger. Paradisiacal conditions. That's what this blissful little fragrance exudes. A bouquet of clementines. And lemons. And tangerines. And oranges. Simply delicious, fresh, watery, mouthwatering. You don't want to get too close with your nose or eyes - for fear that the citric acids could be harmful ;-). Much rather the peel than the pulp. Completely natural and untreated, bitter, non-slip, rich in texture. Simply rejoicingly beautiful. This is what the angels sing and wiggle their bulging butts. A simple fragrance - and yet filled with amazing love, attention to detail, memories and passion. Very close to mastery. But you have to have a little patience, a penchant for understatement and a nose for different citrus fruits.

Flacon: boring and yet noble
Sillage: airy, loose, light
Durability: home cooking - 4-6 hours (due to the high content of citric substances)

Conclusion: a pleasant, almost perfect spring garden full of hissing and tingling and brightness - joy of beautiful god sparks!
In the Gardens of the Seraglio
You shouldn't even be living with me Actually, I had sworn to myself that only fragrances on my really small wish list would be allowed to enter my perfume drawer. But I don't give a damn about yesterday's talk!
During a wonderfully relaxing visit to my hometown Vienna, which is traditionally always crowned by a little sniff of perfume - I reported elsewhere that it was already getting out of hand - I actually tested "Azemour Les Orangers" rather by chance.
First carefully sprayed onto a strip of fragrance, I was immediately enchanted by the radiant orange and citrus freshness. It's the oily smell that comes from peeling oranges, or even more so when pulling orange and lemon zests. Not the sweeter smell of the juice, but a fresh explosion of bitter-citric-tart, which makes me take a deep breath.
At the moment my lunch consists of yoghurt with fresh fruits. An orange is almost always there and every time I peel an orange, I sniff it on my wrist: Yup, that's exactly how it is, this top note of "Azemour", exactly like the most beautiful, juicy, fresh orange peel! I imagine that I can clearly smell the lemon, which I also appreciate in other fragrances because of its less glistening lemon, which is somehow always a little less pointed than lemon and looks darker and therefore more elegant.
Here is a little excursion to all those who smell cleaning products with orange scent: I can absolutely understand that, but my nose rejoices at "Azemour" and states that this is "the real thing" - as I said: I can't stop comparing the scent of the fresh bowl with the perfume every now and then, that's how fascinated I am by this beginning.
But the brilliant orange tone is only the beginning. Fascinated, I continue to breathe deeply, while a wonderful round of white flowers joins in. Orange blossom without doubt, I would also believe jasmine and a little later rose in addition. The fragrance remains without (artificial) sweetness, but rather gains a slightly peppery, fruity and woody spiciness. A little green is added as if lost in thought and quite naturally and complements the bright picture in the most beautiful way. In the very background I perceive a quiet clean salt note. It seems to be exclusively designed to trigger acute wanderlust in me.

Wanderlust for never seen orange groves, for gardens in the middle of clear desert air, jealously protected by high walls. But every now and then a light breeze from the sea lifts, quietly moves the crowns of the old trees that rise above the wall and gently brings me a gift: the scent of flowers, spices and fruits, the fragrance of Azemour Les Orangers...
under Christine's heaven
This bottling reached me of gold, but originally comes from Yatagan (I know his handwriting well). This shows how small our fragrance world is; everything finds its intended goal!
The fragrances of "Parfums d'Empire", which I was allowed to test, I like them all; they have something very special without spreading much screaming.
Yes, even "Le Cri" is not a hooligan, but rather a loving call that goes to the heart!

"Azemour les Orangers" immediately reminds me of Christine Kaufmann's book "The Sky over Tangier" This is a book in which reading unconsciously leads to a fragrant orange grove: each page breathes the fragrant beauty of a wide variety of citrus fruits in their different degrees of ripeness and states.
Sure, a book for women, written by an extraordinary woman.
But it is precisely these fragrant moments that Christine has captured in her perfume "Claire" (dedicated to her granddaughter). I reported about it here at an appropriate place. But that's only in passing.

Yatagan doesn't make it easy for me to follow him with a comment; I can only agree with him in so many things.
A walk in a fertile garden by the sea; a light touch of salt is in the air.
A soft breeze plays with the dark green varnished leaves and lets airy shadows dance.
All this underlines the Mediterranean freshness in a unique way.
A bit of pepper to perfume the fruit variety in a pleasant way; a magic dose of galbanum: yes, resin fits perfectly! It underlines without getting loud - binds a little the different scents.
Rose geranium and beautiful, not overbred roses represent the pure flower fraction; here they are lively and friendly, not luxurious and distinguished!
Everything fits and the base gives this spirit of the air a certain ground contact.
So this delightful fragrance balloon cannot fly away so quickly; for fleeting is he, this aesthete!

"Azemour les Orangers" is a fragrance to slow down, to feel good and to linger, to read a few pages in the seductive shade of all these aromatic scented creatures, under the soft murmur of the distant sea.
It invites you to dream and seduces you to pick a ripe fruit from the fully-branched, fragrant trees every now and then!

A Moroccan dream!
Brought into fragrant form, available at the touch of a button and a surprising addition to one of my favourite books.

I thank you both for this joy!
SchatzSucher
Finely spiced and seasoned orange peel
I first heard about the Parfum d'Empire brand some time ago. But I didn't know any fragrances from this house at first.
But since there are so many wonderful, helpful and generous sniffing noses here, sooner or later a sample from this fragrance house should land with me. A few months ago I tested Cuir Ottoman, which I did not like at all (leather, aha). And with that I was finished with the brand.

But after the excellent description of our highly appreciated Yatagan to Azemour Les Orangers, I put the fragrance on my watch list, but did not actively search for the scent at first, as other impressions came up in the meantime.
But now the opportunity arose to test the fragrance extensively.
The direction citric-green is always a very important factor for me, I like citrus fruits and green scents very much
But there is a lot more to Azemour Les Orangers than that.

The Parfum d'Empire house, founded in 2002 by Marc-Antoine Corticchiato, is based in Paris. Born in Morocco, Mr. Corticchiato was an enthusiastic show rider until he decided to study chemistry and to immerse himself in the world of fragrances.
What pleases me is the fact that not every year a lot of fragrances and countless offshoots are brought onto the market, but that a certain amount of time passes until new releases are made.
This is probably also due to the fact that the fragrance house is still completely owned and not run by one of the big corporations and the perfumer has much more freedom and time to create fragrances.

With Azemour Les Orangers he has created a homage to his homeland.
This is already noticeable in the prelude, when the strong scent of orange peel emerges, sunny and fully ripe, and almost immediately an oriental spice of coriander, pepper and cumin mixes into this pleasant scent. Now cumin is a rather difficult spice. I appreciate it in fine doses in chili con carne and when I prepare taboulé, I always add a touch of cumin to the salad, and a hint of cumin should be added to the yoghurt and mint dip. But the spice should be used with care, otherwise it can be terrible.
This cumin note develops quite sweaty with some, I have already noticed this with some fragrances.
Here I do not notice any sweaty note, the spice is finely balanced and not disturbing.
If the fragrance starts out quite fresh at first, it develops somewhat darker and warmer notes after a while, contracts more, light floral tones are added, not conspicuous, more suggestive ones. In addition, a more dry spiciness, mossy and grassy notes develop.
And green-spicy the fragrance then also sounds out.
None of this is highly complex, but remains subtle and unagitated.

It seems to me that the scent passes from summer to winter in its course. The citrus fruits represent the captured sunshine, the floral and herbaceous notes the autumn and the warm spicy components the winter.
So I see the areas of application of the fragrance almost more in the cooler season, even though it is not heavy overall.

The shelf life of Azemour Les Orangers is about 7 hours, after about 2 hours the fragrance becomes body-hugging. From the very beginning it does not spread a room-filling veil of scent and even one or two too many sprayers are no drama The prices are not the cheapest, but still reasonably moderate. And you notice the very good workmanship and the high quality raw materials that have been selected for the fragrance.

I have also read some less enthusiastic texts here in the comments. This is understandable, since this direction does not necessarily suit everyone and the spices are not everybody's cup of tea And since our noses and tastes are all as different as the many different characters here, opinions differ widely.
I always tell myself that if I don't like a fragrance, there is more left for those who do. Or vice versa
Whether Azemour Les Orangers will ever move in with me, I can't say yet. But I'll keep it in mind It has been noted that the fragrance has probably been declared one of the best fragrances of recent years. That is of course gratifying, but I cannot say anything about that because I do not deal with perfume critics myself. I still trust my own nose :-)

I would also like to take up another example of oranges with spice, Déclaration by Cartier. For me, this fragrance is an outright abomination, dull and musty. It puts me on the run It's not like that here.

I thank Yatagan very much for this really beautiful fragrance experience!
Oriental Orange Grove
The orange trees of Azemour (Azemmour), so the translation of the name, refers, so the perfumer, to an orange grove in the city of Azemmour on the Moroccan coast, not too far from Casablanca.
The fragrance is complex and easy to equal. Simple because at first it reminds me strongly of the smell of orange peel (not juice); complex because after a short time the fragrance shows a development that does not go through too many impressive twists, but nevertheless reveals a noticeable change from fruity freshness with spicy accents to denser, dark spicy tones with the smell of dried fruits. Everything remains related, but transforms into elegant noblesse. All the facets of citrus fruit are combined with green notes, floral tones and spices that fit well into the time of Advent. This is a bit reminiscent of candied orange peel and candied lemon peel in Christmas cookies.
Among the spices, cumin is of course particularly striking, although it is sometimes associated with a sweaty note, but is less present here than in Déclaration, a formerly popular and widespread men's fragrance from Cartier (s.d.). However, certain parallels cannot be dismissed. It is also the cumin that gives the fragrance an oriental touch, which remains discreet and thus obviously knows how to combine the best of Orient and Occident.

The fragrance was chosen by Luca Turin as one of the best in his new perfume guide ("Perfumes. The Guide. 2018"). It seems to me that this high rating is justified. Azemour is a small, almost inconspicuous masterpiece.

I imagine he'd be a good choice for Christmas.

Azemour Les Orangers
Marc-Antoine Corticchiato has managed to convince me on several occasions he's a wizard at composing perfumes. I don't consider it to be an overblown statement, taking into account Mr Corticchiato's impressive body of work, notably fragrances like “Cuir Ottoman”, “Ambre Russe”, “Eau de Gloire”, ”Aziyadé”, “Fougere Bengale”, or “Wazamba”, to name just a few. His are complex, well-thought-out perfumes that take their wearer on an olfactory as well as emotional journey. Some journeys resemble a smooth ride while others a dizzying rollercoaster. If I were to make a “best-of” list of Corticchiato´s fragrances, “Azemour Les Orangers” would undoubtedly feature near the very top of such a list.

“Azemour Les Orangers” is an olfactory poem, a poignant tribute to orange groves in the Kingdom of Morocco, where Marc-Antoine Corticchiato was born and grew up. The top of the fragrance is pleasantly citrusy. Instead of being sour, the citrus opening exudes a hint of sweetness, courtesy of an orange-tangerine combination. In the heart, an orange blossom note helps to preserve the delicate sweetness of the scent. Simultaneously, a pinch of salt is added to the composition, thus evoking the aroma of an orange grove by the sea. In the drydown, oak moss emerges and the chypre character of the fragrance becomes unmistakeable.

In this reviewer's opinion, “Azemour Les Orangers” is the ultimate daydreamers' delight. This fragrance makes you want to set out on a journey and experience a crisp spring morning in a Moroccan orange grove for yourself. However, I suspect Mr Corticchiato's perfume is a lot better than the real McCoy. Enjoy the ride!
2.5

Drseid
A Modern Day Chypre Done Right...
Azemour opens with juicy orange citrus over traces of underlying cumin spice. As the composition moves to its early heart the initial juicy orange morphs to sharp relatively dry, slightly bitter, fresh green grapefruit-infused neroli as the underlying cumin spice grows slightly in its intensity. As the composition makes its way through its middle the cumin dissipates as the composition turns more green through the infusion of a mossy accord rising from the base that couples with orange flower and the green neroli, resulting in a slightly dirty bitter-green orange accord. During the late dry-down the cumin spice completely vacates the composition leaving remnants of the green moss to add additional support to the starring slightly sharp woods and supporting coumarin derived hay base notes. Projection is minimal with the composition just a little more than a skin scent and longevity average at about 7-9 hours on skin.

Azemour les Orangers is a very different composition than I expected. Yes, the orange fruit is definitely there early-on in particular, but the composition is much more about the fresh green neroli aspect of the orange tree, incorporating even aspects of the tree itself late. The presentation is quite a welcome departure from the usual "orange". Something *not* as welcome is the subtle to moderate use of dirty cumin spice through the early heart of the composition. The cumin is never intrusive, thankfully, but it does seem unnecessary and the composition shines brightest when it is unnoticeable. The late dry-down is quite different than the rest of the composition, with the moss and coumarin in the base completing the chypre structure but its focus turns quite woody with almost a sharp vetiver-like bent, and an extremely slight saltiness noticeable only if one pays close attention. Save for the unnecessary cumin the whole thing is quite well put together and exudes some of the spirit of the great Monsieur de Givenchy at times (without the orange, of course). The bottom line is the $145 per 100ml bottle Azemour could have been truly excellent had it not marred its presentation slightly with its relatively minor use of dirty cumin, but even "as is" the end result still merits a "very good" to "excellent" 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5 and a solid recommendation to all.

OPomoneOPomone 6 years ago
Mr Corticchiato is a magician and my friend the neroli told me so this morning.
Those who dislike Azemour have something against their childlike part.

Azemmour - Maroc
by Anarlan

Popular Parfum d'Empire

Tabac Tabou by Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire Aziyadé by Parfum d'Empire Le Cri / Le Cri de la Lumière by Parfum d'Empire Equistrius by Parfum d'Empire Mal-Aimé by Parfum d'Empire Corsica Furiosa by Parfum d'Empire Eau Suave by Parfum d'Empire Wazamba by Parfum d'Empire Osmanthus Interdite by Parfum d'Empire Fougère Bengale by Parfum d'Empire Musc Tonkin (Extrait de Parfum) by Parfum d'Empire Iskander by Parfum d'Empire Acqua di Scandola by Parfum d'Empire Eau de Gloire (Eau de Parfum) by Parfum d'Empire Immortelle Corse by Parfum d'Empire Musc Tonkin (Eau de Parfum) by Parfum d'Empire Yuzu Fou by Parfum d'Empire Salute ! by Parfum d'Empire