Fougère Bengale (2007)

Fougère Bengale by Parfum d'Empire
Bottle Design: Bel Epok

Fougère Bengale is a perfume by Parfum d'Empire for women and men and was released in 2007. The scent is spicy-fougère. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesAssam tea, Lavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesAnimalic notes, Hay, Tobacco
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Patchouli, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DeGe53, last update on 09.08.2019

French Mediterranean
Fougère Bengale opens with a nice, rich, powerful, kind of dark and almost intoxicating blend of spicy-resinous notes, almost boozy initially, a tad sticky and cleverly mixing an Oriental feel of candied-spicy sumptuosity with a Mediterranean herbal inspiration – which is possibly the nicest trademark of Corticchiato’s style, I personally think he’s particularly good in “revisiting” the classic French opulence with a shady Mediterranean feel. At the very heart of Fougère Bengale lies a powerful, incredibly aromatic, thick and warm herbal-tobacco accord comprising nuances of hay, licorice, aniseed. A light floral breeze provides the right amount of liveliness and “fresh air”, together with a sweet and graceful tea note (perfectly melting with licorice) and a subtle yet detectable mint-balsamic feel. Fantastic drydown rich in tobacco and, again, sweet-balsamic nuances of licorice and aniseed, just more woodier, overall quite dark but still with a touch of floral grace. I feel the tribute to fougères too, although this is not a fougère at all and has quite nothing to do with traditional fougères – I only think it’s more a matter of small subtle echoes (tobacco, woods, lavender, herbs...). Evidently close to some Lutens works as well, like other scents by Parfum d’Empire, but somehow more austere, more green, and also more simple. Honestly I don’t think the materials are that great here (just a feel), but Fougère Bengale is overall surely pleasant, refined, rich and sophisticated with its peculiar sort of Mediterranean “gloominesss”. A bit linear, but you won’t get tired of smelling it.

7-7,5/10
7.0/10

Tiger! Tiger!!
I am fascinated by Fougère Bengale! In the space of a day I have gone from loathe to like ... which is very uncommon for me.

Upon first trying this on paper, I pulled up my nose and hastily dismissed it. The overwhelming stench of curry wafted off the paper ... and while I like eating it, curry is not necessarily what I want to smell of. The sales assistant tossed a sample in my bag "just for good measure". I tried it on my skin a half hour ago and ... well ... it's very, very nice. How perplexing!
Now, curry is not listed as a note here and scouting around I notice that many other reviewers also smell it. I can only conclude that this effect is created by the patchouli/tobacco/pepper combination. Immortelle is cited as being included elsewhere, but not having the faintest idea what it smells like, I can't comment on that.
The important bit here, is that on my skin, I don't really get curry per sé, more just a spicy warmth flooded with delicious, dry, hay like notes, loads of green tobacco and lashings of sweet, sweet vanilla. The Oakmoss is there, as is the Lavender ... but if you like Tobacco then this is the one for you ... it's reminiscent of lovely blond pipe tobacco ... just gorgeous!

This fragrance has a Rudyard Kipling-ish gentleman-on-safari feel to it ... and I'm quite astounded that in my current (heavy feminine florals) frame of mind, I like it as much as I do.

Go figure!?!?!?

by Ergoproxy
by Ergoproxy
by Ghislaine
by Ghislaine

Popular Parfum d'Empire

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire Aziyadé by Parfum d'Empire Wazamba by Parfum d'Empire Equistrius by Parfum d'Empire Tabac Tabou by Parfum d'Empire Osmanthus Interdite by Parfum d'Empire Fougère Bengale by Parfum d'Empire Eau Suave by Parfum d'Empire Yuzu Fou by Parfum d'Empire Iskander by Parfum d'Empire Azemour Les Orangers by Parfum d'Empire Corsica Furiosa by Parfum d'Empire Eau de Gloire (Eau de Parfum) by Parfum d'Empire Musc Tonkin (Extrait de Parfum) by Parfum d'Empire 3 Fleurs by Parfum d'Empire Le Cri de la Lumière by Parfum d'Empire Musc Tonkin (Eau de Parfum) by Parfum d'Empire Eau de Gloire (Eau de Toilette) by Parfum d'Empire Acqua di Scandola by Parfum d'Empire