Athalia by Parfums de Marly
Athalia is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for women and was released in 2016. The scent is powdery-floral. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesFrankincenseFrankincense
CashmeranCashmeran
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber
VanillaVanilla
VetiverVetiver

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 13.10.2021.

A mysterious Helena Bonham Carter
A Helena Bonham Carter fragrance;
dark, mysterious, a little vintage.
Black coat, knee-length dress with black silk tights, stilettos, sunglasses.
A misty autumn afternoon, paper lantern light, crows landing in sync in a naked tree.
This is how the perfume presents itself and this is how I feel about him.

The fragrance begins with smoky orange blossoms and keeps this for the most part, orange blossoms that do not turn out too fruity sweet and incense that does not come across too aggressive as feared.
What I smelled at the Delina Exclusif partly too extreme and sharp, I find interestingly here as more coherent.
In places Athalia reminds me of other well-known fragrances, which I can not name ad hoc.
Noble soapy without a dominant rose I feel him, paired with incense sticks and blown out candles in a closed room, soapy-cool and cuddly smoky-powdery at the same time;
i emphasize deliberately smoky-powdery, because it is not a gentle, lovely powder note, the incense plays a role throughout, which gives Athalia something haughty and distant.
Nevertheless, Athalia does not (only) opulent and arrogant to me, depending on the dosage, he has something very serious and down-to-earth, awakens business-office associations in me.

All in all, it works on me at least more successful than Delina Exclusif , Delina Eau de Parfum (which I found very nice, but which triggered no urge to buy) or Cassili.
Lilitu
A sacred powdered sugar bomb
What did I do? Inspired by the reviews on Parfumo, I took a chance on a blind buy. I'm jittery. Yes, because I'm holding my package with my latest haul. Was it wise? I don't know. I guess that will be revealed to me in a moment.
At least I struck it rich on a bargain. So the pain of a bad purchase may be lessened a tiny bit. I hope. I hope so very much.

I can not cut open the package fast enough. Positively, I notice first of all that the perfumery has packed me nicely equal to four samples. I'll take care of that later.
My actual perfume is well protected. Carefully I take it out of the package. Free it from the plastic wrap. Now the really noble black and gold packaging stands before me. The most expensive perfume that I have ever afforded - so far.
As a newbie, I'm just starting to explore the expensive niche fragrances. With "Baccarat Rouge 540" I also only hit on a special offer and also only treated myself to the small travel set. "Athalia" - finally - you're here. Quickly take off the lid. And then sniff ...

The first thing that strikes me is how intense the cap smells, without having sprayed so far. Smells nice powerful strong and intense. The first spray and BOOM. Without warning. Immediately the sacral powdered sugar bomb goes off.
I don't smell the bitter orange. Instead, the incense envelops the rose - not tenderly - not gently, but demanding and demanding. Ohhhhhhhhh, what a scent?! The rose incense powder blend is just heavenly. It overwhelms me. And - I let myself fall.

Associations from one of my few cherry visits come up. As a little girl, I made a pilgrimage with the Catholic part of my family to a small chapel on Easter. It is located on a hill in a small farming village in Carinthia. Everything was very devout. Inside the chapel, a man dressed in long black and white robes strode through the narrow aisles. In his hands was a censer. He waved it back and forth until the whole chapel was enveloped in the clouds of incense, which smelled suspiciously like "Athalia". That scent named after a pagan queen in a church. What a sacrilege.

But that crucial something was missing in the church at the time. This sensuality that "Athalia" exudes. Sensuality coupled with sexiness - barely held in check by the powdery iris and the warm orange blossom. I languish. Fogged by these fragrances, I'm afraid all I can do is babble stupidly. I sniff my wrist again. I can't stop. No, I don't want to stop. Addicted. It's making me addicted.
Even though I don't identify the cashmeran, suede, and vetiver. Do the amber and vanilla embrace the rest of the scents and ground the incense so it can't dissipate. Only slowly do the fragrance notes ebb away. This durability and sillage are fantastic.

I will protect this fragrance like my secret treasure. Meeeeeeeeeeeinnnnnnnn shaaaaaaaaaattzzz. Mine, mine, mine!

Bottom line: you have to love incense with this scent. Not just a little bit. But really and truly love it. It's just too overpowering.

Who can wear this fragrance? For me, a fragrance for "more mature" women. Clearly a going out fragrance. The fragrance for a queen - proud, beautiful and confident. Sounds like a cliché - yes.
So what!

P.S. You can certainly imagine that I did not regret the blind purchase. :-)
Childhood memory :)
Today I received a bottling of a dear Parfumo and made directly a trip back in time to my childhood (thank you for that!).
Directly the fragrance was very familiar to me; I know it! That's exactly how my granny smelled in the 70s. However, she had only two perfumes, Tosca Eau de Cologne and Nonchalance Eau de Toilette ??♀️
I like smelling the bottling, but I don't want to smell like this, it's too stale for me too. "madamy".
Isolani
...which seems to have been lost..
Like when you
the beginning
the end
of a small world,
which only very briefly,
in a narrow window of time,
as a hopeful prospect
again
until the next turn,
for which you
For which you
would have to wait ages,
out of focus
on silent soles
and no traces
setting,
because
because everything seems to be abandoned
and you wonder
where everyone has gone,
who you don't miss today
missed
and you somehow
and yet
yet
is light as air,
because you are carried
and guided
by the feathery flight of this moment,
free and unencumbered
like the little blue tit as soon as it falls from the nest.. and got
little bruises,
of a Romanesque church
somewhere
in the Pyrenees,
there,
where the little yellow trains
Towards the Mediterranean
home
and the sun
paints the stone floor
paints in color;
with a fine trill,
which would come very deep
from the little heart,
that beats a hundred and twenty times
a minute -
untruthfully -
and yet
one or the other
still said hello,
so in passing,
and soft clouds of sound
and you recognize something and you recognize something
and can locate,
what was long ago,
Eternities ago,
and that suddenly
in your heart echoes
and immediately
a little pebble
to roll
and jumps into your soul...
in these times,
when the days are
are loaded
with a heavy load of
sweeter
Summeriness,
Times,
when you are more often once
during the week
go up alone,
who would have thought,
that it would ever
would come like this?
and you'd be spinning
around yourself
to get into the groove and into the rhythm
into the
Harmony
to come,
so that little energy
would be lost
and the forces would remain
where they would someday,
in late September,
would be needed,
when the leaves fall and with it
the nests,
which have become too small
have become too small;
tossed coins,
which are no longer
and which are no longer
and for which
no one bent down for them and which
would have been too frivolous
would have been gambled away -
as so often happens -
to end
with only a few trumps
with only a few trump cards in hand and only one,
really only the last possibility
with a net
possible
make
could,
unobserved;

with small mourning for that,
what has been lost

and be comforting
like an inwardly turned
Full-body suit
of pale yellow terrycloth,
like the slightly noisy recording
of a favorite song of all time
on a C90 cassette,
and yet as if composed
seeming cloud of vapor
worldly
spiritual life,
which makes only the good experienceable,
that it may give us

lost do you mean?

Isn't that all
not yet
still be found
in one of the many pockets
of your
to be
want to be
recognized.
Pinkdawn
"Beautifully decadent" or just flat out wastefulness after all?
She comes from far away. From a galaxy far, far away. She rides straight at me from the velvety firmament embroidered with silver stars. The little bells on the bridle of her black horse tinkle softly and silvery. She is still very small. But her presence is already clearly felt. Omnipresent. Strong, fascinating, but also dangerous. For the proud goddess is capricious. And powerful. A mixture that rarely ends well. After all, Ataliah ("foreign woman"), daughter of the equally infamous Jezebel, Queen of Judah in the 9th century BC, is autocrat and wants to stay that way. She doesn't achieve much with empathy. It seems more expedient to her to have all rivals - even her own grandchildren - who could lay claim to her throne murdered. After 6 years of dictatorship the people take revenge on the hated Baals-worshipper. She is betrayed in a coup and now meets a bloody end herself.

La Belle Dame sans Merci. Seductive beauty and deadly cruelty have always been ingredients that inspired artists. Racine and Handel are just two of them who were inspired to create works of art by the tragedy of the cold-blooded Atalya.

Atalya's execution is associated with horses, which brings us back to Parfums de Marly. For they not only have two rearing steeds as their logo, but also tend to name their fragrances after historical horse personalities.

Athalia is the third Perfums de Marly fragrance I've tested. None of them appealed to me enough to make me pull out my credit card and spend - as in the case of Athalia - about € 218,- for 75 ml.

When it comes to Perfums de Marly, I often wonder what came first: the passion to create a series of new noble fragrances or a well-calculated marketing concept. Again and again I read that the Parfums de Marly smell "expensive". Probably exactly this effect is intended. Rich people will hardly ever get the idea that something smells "expensive". And if they do, they certainly won't buy it, because they prefer sophisticated understatement. Unless they're nouveau riche people who weren't born with style and taste. I'm not rich, but the fact that a perfume smells "expensive" would never cause me to purchase a fragrance. It's not a desirable criteria for me. With that in mind, I've been wondering what makes a fragrance seem "expensive." First, the price has to be a certain amount. Not too high, but high enough so that the target audience feels that the purchase has hurt a bit financially. This is indispensable when coveting a status symbol that is supposed to convey luxury and elegance to the owner / owner. The image of the brand must, of course, correspond to this. In the case of Parfums de Marly, it is the courtly, royal, but coming from a historical era. King Louis XV is invoked, embodying refined, expensive lifestyles, wealth, pomp and a lavish, playful, decadent lifestyle. The Rococo is not my era. And I can't admire Louis XV, with his fascination with horses and fragrances, which escalated to scented fountains and scented rooms, without moral qualms rising in my mind, as they always do when rulers spend their wealth to satisfy their narcissism while their subjects starve. But well, those days are largely over. Parfums de Marly aims to bring royal extravagance to life, at least olfactorically. Therefore, one should not expect anything really innovative from fragrances that seek to transfer this feeling to those who like to adorn themselves with them. Of course, there have been eccentric monarchs like Empress Elisabeth of Austria, her cousin Ludwig II of Bavaria and others. Louis XV, as far as I know, is not one of them. After all, eccentricity requires an appropriate disposition and a great deal of creative, aesthetic imagination. A technophile, Ludwig II constructed a peacock-shaped flying chariot in which to soar through the skies. And he used to have his beloved "Leibreitpferde" lifted high up to the roof of his Munich residence to ride them in the garden there.

Anyone who has ever visited Neuschwanstein Castle can get an idea of the extravagance, but also the fairy-tale world of the regent, who mostly lived at night. His unrealistic desire to build eventually became the undoing of the "Moon King". He was deprived of power because he was accused of a mental illness - without a specialist examination - and committed suicide in the Würmsee, in which, as is known, his companion, the psychiatrist von Gudden, also lost his life.

After all, the allegedly mentally impaired monarch still attracts countless profitable streams of tourists to Bavaria through his charismatic personality and his rampant castle-building mania.

Louis XV doesn't seem to have as many fans anymore.

But back to Athalia. Once sprayed on, the fragrance quickly develops its potency. It unfolds an opulence that is too strong for me from the start - not least because it is so beguiling. It is a dark, nocturnal fragrance, carried by dignity and pride, elegant, majestic and aloof, at the same time warm and cool, distant, powerful and majestic. You get a hint of the Orient - sweet, smoky, soft and very feminine. However, I tend to see this fragrance on older women. Because he is not youthful, but very adult and serious.

A great mutability Athalia does not have in my opinion. I can actually only perceive incense and orange blossom, after the bitter orange in the top note has dissipated. This combination blends together to create a very uniform looking scent. This isn't a big deal if you like incense and orange blossom. I have more of a problem with it. I can only tolerate both in small doses and with other scents. But here, it's full blast. It's too much for me. And so the fragrance soon gets for me something provocative, intrusive.
I would not say now that this is a perfume for queens or goddesses, but it probably fits especially to so-called "racy" women who are dark-haired and sensual. Or well-groomed, older ladies in their golden years at bridge.

There is a lot of speculation about the fragrance pyramid. I read about rose, iris, suede, cashmeran, amber and vetiver. I trust more the website of Parfums de Marly, which lists only bitter orange and incense in the top note, orange blossom exclusively in the heart note and musk and vanilla in the base. This also corresponds to my sensation.

I have applied Athalia a few times in recent days and find it now no longer as "dangerous" as the first time. However, it's not exceptional or exclusive either. It is a primarily beguiling, sweet, oriental fragrance. Opulent, but wearable because the durability is within limits. All in all, quite conventional. I wouldn't call it a niche or sophisticated fragrance. You won't knock anyone over the head with it, unless you use too much of it. For me, it is still a perfume that is more suitable for the evening than for the office or a visit to the dentist. It would be too intense, too beguiling and too sweet for that

Athalia
I was pulled towards Athalia due to the frankincense note but, to be honest, I don’t get it at all...
Now, what’s making me want it over and over again, it’s the combination of iris and musc . There is something In that combination that gives me comfort, a sense of safe place . When I wear Athalia I fell like nothing bad can happen to me and that’s why I chose to wear it mostly when I go to sleep.
I feel also a subtitle suede smell but that I assimilate to the Musc , maybe cashmeran .
Also there is a small vetiver somewhere in the very back of the scenery.!
One of my favorites from my collection.
Connie
Very oriental and super exclusive...
Surely Athalia is not everyone's cup of tea. Mine is 100% Athalia...

Athalia is an incense bomb in the true sense of the word. Athalia immediately reminds me of the Emirate. Of the old souks, where everywhere it smells of incense and spices like dried oranges, vanilla etc. so bewitching...

Athalie is extraordinary and has a very Arabian effect on me, because of the incense and the soft leather scent. The orange plays a minor role, but is noticeable in the top notes. Super beautiful a smoky vanilla note comes out in the base...

You have to like incense when you choose Athalia, because incense plays the leading role all the time...

The durability is quite good but unfortunately the Sillage is quite low. Athalia stays very close to my skin after about one hour, but is beautiful and unique to die for. But for other people the sillage is good. It depends on the skin type..

The fragrance simply smells very exclusive and very special. It's not a flirty, sexy or girly scent, not at all, but a scent for women over 35, in my personal opinion, who don't want to have a screaming scent, but an exclusive scent with that certain something for themselves and the very close environment...
Spraying luxury
Athalia? Is that anything like Delina? Because that's from Parfums de Marly. Athalia is probably just a little smokier, because it says "incense" in the fragrances. And then leather! And cashmeran too... oh, my.... is probably just some oriental kind of Delina?

I'm sure many people think that or something like that. But Athalia is something else entirely. Beguiling, sexy, wild, free and cashmeran and amber give the necessary warmth, which makes the fragrance beautifully round.

Athalia is definitely not a masspleaser. It's like the Amouage scents, no matter how exciting it sounds, you better test it in advance.

And I did! So far no niche fragrance has made it to the Signature Scent. This one did it and does it every day anew.

And so I come to the next exciting effect, I think. I classify most perfumes - more or less consciously. Delina, Royal Princess Oud (Creed) and Lyric Woman (Amouage) are my typical Daytime favorites. For going out or partying at night, I like to use a Tauer or an intense designer perfume, which often seems unpleasant during the day. But Athalia? He can do it. Or should I rather say "she"? This fragrance smells pleasantly opulent during the day without sticking someone's nose.
And at night? I perceive the incense and leathery feel of Athalia at night much more than during the day. So it smells exciting enough for the night without my companions yawning because they are bored by my perfume. Little joke on the edge.

I have been asked about the scent several times and have heard more than 3 times, "it smells great, but
expensive". Nice compliment. Expensive, it is also relatively. It's interesting that people notice that.

For me, Athalia is an olfactory masterpiece that is nevertheless not a masspleaser. And never will be. Let us hope so.

Thanks
Oudine
Bambia eyes with sugar on them...
Hi dear ones, I am trying myself today for the first time at a comment:-)) So here it is

After I stumbled across "Athalia" while browsing here and he definitely fits into my baggage scheme, he was on my watchlist.
So today I visited my trusted CB perfumery and found Athalia on the shelf to my great delight. First I took a strip of paper and sprayed it expectantly.
At first I took an indefinable somehow flowery but meaningless scent. Then I sprayed him on my wrist and waited and went up and down the shop. However, it did not get more interesting and I was disappointed because I had great expectations. I choose, when I go into a perfumery and just look, bottles that I like optically and I find these very beautiful and promising.
Well .....you can't force anything even if the bottle is so beautiful.
I left the store.
But wouw......Out on the street I suddenly took a scent that instantly moved me to turn back.
It is sweet but not sticky sweet, powdery also some flowery, where it?s hard for me to name single components. Somehow he reminds me of a smell from the past.
I think Athalia is simply beautiful, the nose sticks to my wrist, a scent that takes me in its arms. The nice saleswoman gave me a sample. He's at the top of my wish list now. As soon as my budget allows it, which is very strained at the moment, I will strike and Athalia will move in with me:-))

IoanaPIoanaP 2 years ago
beautiful iris that grows powdery but not obsolete, sexy but not coarse, alluring but not intoxicating; reminiscent of boudoir smell.

by Sweetsmell75
by Meinesonne85
by Oudine
by Oudine

Popular Parfums de Marly

Layton by Parfums de Marly Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Delina La Rosée by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Greenley by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly