Carlisle by Parfums de Marly
Top 43 in Unisex Perfume
Carlisle is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is sweet-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Quentin Bisch

Top Notes Top NotesGreen appleGreen apple NutmegNutmeg SaffronSaffron
Heart Notes Heart NotesTonka beanTonka bean OsmanthusOsmanthus DavanaDavana RoseRose
Base Notes Base NotesVanillaVanilla PatchouliPatchouli SandalwoodSandalwood OpoponaxOpoponax

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 22.06.2022.

MrHonestMrHonest 4 years ago
I've always been a big proponent of the brand in general, with Herod being one of my absolute favourite fragrances of all time; but lately...well, I've been noticing...
Mozart1756Mozart1756 2 years ago
Oud Oud Oud... Carlisle is not that beautiful, unique scent. It doesnt worth the money guys. Some reviews says= baked apple tart. I can actually says......

A blurred first encounter
I ordered my first sample of Carlisle, as an afterthought: A second-hand sample for a discounted price, with no intention of ever purchasing a full bottle as I already owned one from the house. As such, my first encounter was devoid of expectation. My first impression could be characterized as... familiar. The amalgamation of notes created a sensation that was well-known to me, and no particular facet of the composition struck me as interesting. It reminded me of a gentle, smooth brown. Brown in its surface connotation to chocolate. Brown in its suggestion to the fall season. Brown in its reminiscent quality to the ordinary. No masterpiece to say the least.

As I had no expectations from the scent, I wore it liberally and consistently, taking no quarrel with running through my sample. My friends mirrored my own reaction, reinforcing my first impression. A shoulder shrug accompanied with "yea it"s good". For 2 weeks the scent was my companion, through long days, and easy days. The description of a companion is apt, as throughout its wearing Carlisle does have a tremendous presence, even in the cold. And so over time, the resolution of Carlisle sharpened.

My conception of the plain brown canvas focused to unveil the play present all along. Damp wet soil lays the foundation for the background, built upon with subtle resins. The vanilla illuminates the foreground, in which streaks of bitter green apple dance across the stage. The nutmeg does little to make its voice heard and is only differentiable by the most attentive listeners, nonetheless is inseparable from the rest of the piece. The climax never comes, although I find myself never waiting for it. Each segment of the piece stands on its own feet. The progression of Carlisle is a long and steady one, with the most impatient audience members becoming disinterested. Those willing to stick around and stay attentive leave intrigued and satisfied.

I first noticed my love for the scent, when I stood waiting out in the open. A cool gust of wind approached letting Carlisle waft by my nose. In a comical fashion, I closed my eyes and let my attention dance from note to note. The scent no longer felt familiar like the feeling a hit song on the radio might induce but rather familiar like the wry smile of a trusted friend.

In hindsight, I doubt there is any possible way I could have gained the understanding that I have of the composition now, on that first day. As such, I would recommend you to wear even your most mundane samples. The process of testing fragrances by simply spraying them once on your wrist is about as successful, as initial compliments are indicative of your enjoyment of a scent. I would also emphasize the importance of approaching a new sample without any expectation, as was the case here.

From my experience, Carlisle will be a favorite for those close to you, and one that grows on those spending more time with you. I ended up buying another sample relatively quickly, after which I subsequently purchased a full bottle. Carlisle has steadily grown to become one of my most violent fragrance loves.
5.5

Too sweet for me
A sweet, woody scent. The apple and nutmeg opening give it an apple pie aroma.
Then it becomes hard to pick out any notes. It becomes a mishmash.
It smells safe - a niche take on what a designer house would do. I don't like 'challenging' scents that are unwearable, but this errs in the other direction.
It gets raves reviews from many fragheads but I’m underwhelmed. Not to my taste

PDM'S FINEST HOUR
Master of all trades, rare if the perfume world. PDM connoisseur stuff.
A masterpiece for sure, worth buying even at full boutique price.
Reading list of ingredients won't do it any justice, trust me.
You got to try it ASAP. If you are a perfume person.
Even a non-refined nose recognises true value of this.
When wearing Carlisle, you will draw smiles all around.
At some moments dark and mysterious, playful at times.
Not so much defined as a compliment getter, however it does get a bunch.
As much as it draws admiration of others around you when you wear it.
If available at store near you, a must try at the very least ...
I got myself a reserve bottle, day after purchasing the first one ...

THE BEAUTY OF THE BEAST
1- Here is the real creativity, one of my greatest discoveries, contrasting with everything I used to it, in perfume world, when I realized the dray down is just the beginning, like fire hidden under ashes, whisper inside your nose: I will not let you down

2- This beast it can do & be anything you want, for all occasions, all seasons (safe blind buy for men)

Top dos tops
Amanhã vai nevar aqui,vou sair trabalhar usando essa maravilha da casa parfums de marly,uma deliciosa combinação de oud maçã verde e açafrão,também sinto um cheiro doce delicioso da baunilha e da Tonka,uma torta de maçã assada numa madeira espessa de oud e opopnaxx ,divino e delicioso vale cada centavo

Aroma 10
Desempenho 12/10
Garrafa 10
Smnbkr
les histoires des parfums - chapitre 5 - Lagerfeld attitude or "le manque des mots"
Carlisle. I'm glad you're around.

I first met you in the cold Paris winter of 2019. You came highly recommended to me from several directions.

At my first Parfums de Marly sample, I sheerly overlooked you. Not that your appearance was unremarkable. No, not at all. Resplendent and elegant, you stand there in your dapper black outfit, and everyone who sees you instantly knows your resounding name, too.

You smell powerful. You smell arrogant. Decadent. Straight forward. No compromise, either black or white. Yes or no. Like Karl Lagerfeld. You own the world, but you don't have to do anything for it.

You smell like 1001 Parisian nights. Intangible. Beautiful. Mysterious. Full of light, at the same time dark as the blackest night. Quickly there, taking everyone's breath away, and immediately gone. Not looking for attention. And yet you always get it.

You smell like the perfect complement to a black suit. Not a dull business suit. A high-fashion suit. Dior Homme, Comme des Garcons, Ann Demeulemeester or Les Hommes. High dad-killer collar, like Lagerfeld. One or two pieces of silver jewellery, slightly wider trousers, tattoos on the hands. Casual elegance.

You smell like someone who's quiet. Who doesn't say anything. Doesn't need to say anything. His mere appearance leaves everyone with their mouths open. Who moves slowly. No hurry, no time pressure. Time is relative to him anyway. What's the rush? The world adapts to him, not the other way around.

Impressions that try to describe you. That try to somehow capture you, make you explainable. Doomed to fail. You need to be smelled in order to be judged. Though you don't care about the judgments anyway.........

Carlisle, my precious thing
I was lucky enough to someone offer me a sample of Carlisle. When I smelled it for the first time I immediately thought it was the best perfume I´ve ever smelled. I had already smelled Herod, Layton and Oajan at that time. None of them marked me as much as Carlisle. If I had to pick a signature fragrance, this would be it. Without thinking twice. The opening that looks like a sweet liqueur grabbed me from the first time. Its quite strong (and i love that) in the first minutes but then the subtlety of this perfume is indescribable. Gentle yet powerful. Sophisticated but playful at the same time. Seductive by nature and a relentless predator. Carlisle was born to be king. The quality of the ingredients its fantastic. Durability and projection are good but not perfect. At least in my case. But i can live with that. Gladly.
Oh Carlisle, my precious thing...
Leimbacher
For a nickel and a dime..
For not a few the best fragrance from the already highly traded Marly house, but still always something in the second row behind the two Laytons and "Herod" - "Carlisle" is a darkened fruit of the noble class!

"Carlisle" by Parfums de Marly is probably the finest oud scent with no oud in it at all, or at least listed. But we all know that doesn't have to mean anything. An oriental creamy apple strudel with woody wearable elements and facets that never fail to delight and captivate. Sometimes masculine harsh, sometimes feminine tender. Always ingeniously appealing. Sometimes earthy dark, almost musty, sometimes lighter and more gourmand to bite into. "Carlisle" has a clear DNA and direction, yet dozens of surprising as well as somehow fitting triads that always leave you speechless. In a positive sense. And I guess that's what you call great art. More of an autumn scent for me. Somewhere in luxury land between "Boss Bottled" and "Encre Noir". Absolutely outstanding. Perfect blend. It doesn't get much more delicious and harmonious than that.

Flacon: heavy and... give it!
Sillage: potent and never misses
Durability: 10 hours and more

Conclusion: bye bye, Mr. American Pie? Rather hello you delicious treat for suit and proposal!
The superstar among the Parfums de Marlys
Not too long ago I discovered a new hobby besides football, martial arts and basketball: perfumes!
Back then, when my girlfriend asked me what I wanted for my anniversary, I told her, "I don't think you're buying me anything for that price." Girlfriend: "I don't care about the price what do you want?" After that I showed her a picture of Carlisle and her response was, "Another perfume?" After that I had my doubts if I would get this fragrance at all, if not then it would have been absolutely no problem (understandably +250€). But I got the fragrance and was very happy about it. Very nobly packed and my first spray, I was not so convinced at the beginning because I have never smelled something like this, but if you give the fragrance time and let it mature then it becomes stronger and smells even better! If you buy a fragrance and it doesn't meet your expectations at the beginning, give it some more time. I'm glad that I have this bottle because the H/S is simply outstanding and the fragrance smells really noble
From me a clear buy recommendation :)

SmellyPete
Nice but not my favourite PDM
I bought a full bottle in the middle of 2020 (Batch code: 0340156) after following the massive hype.

I'm not able to break out the individual notes - to my simplistic nose smell woody and somewhat like tobacco.

It definitely a nice masculine fragrance that has decent performance but not to the hype level of most reviewers and influencers. With 6 sprays (half on my shirt) I get 4-6 hours of longevity but with moderate projection. Mostly skin scent for me after two hours...

I'm interested to know whether other with my batch have the same performance. For me this is a bit of a disappointment when compared to what I was expecting and to what I get from my other PdM fragrances.

For me this is not a room filler and I'll be wearing this to work - sillage is noticable but not overwhelming for the first couple of hours

I did get a boost when I did some exercise and warmed up. I was not really able to smell it on clothes the next day (it was only detectable because I knew it was there)

I'm ok with the performance of my batch though my Layton and Layton Exclusif perform way better - and to be honest I prefer their scents above Carlisle

Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 3 months ago
Red Tobacco without balls. Its has a nice sweetness and is very well rounded, however in comparison to red tobacco it has no character
Nik604Nik604 4 months ago
As usual for the brand as many others - massive and obnoxious hyperbolic ultra sweet stench = overhyped and highly overpriced.
InbnkInbnk 4 months ago
For me Carlisle is the best PDM I put it over Layton. Smooth, well blended, nice round sweet. Gorgious.
TaoEuringerTaoEuringer 5 months ago
From afar a simple, high quality scent. Following closer inspection, a nuanced back and forth between the rugged and the sophisticated.
Connoisseur6Connoisseur6 6 months ago
I know a lot of people think this is the best of PdM, but I think the majority of their releases are better than this... Doesn't work for me
GreMuserGreMuser 6 months ago
80% similar to Layton + an overdose of vanilla/sweetness. Just NO. I just don't get it.
SmellsFargoSmellsFargo 7 months ago
Layton's evil brother. But for the life of me I don't get the apple people swear they can pick out in this shit.
JMWeedJMWeed 8 months ago
It’s a solid scent, just not my type. The quality is definitely apparent in the fragrance. Very masculine rough and dark.
RisingChaosRisingChaos 1 year ago
Musty, dirty, woody. It's like walking into my leaky basement after it rains heavily and partially floods. Apple, rose, vanilla drydown.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 1 year ago
After a pronounced and boozy, spicy fruity-sweet opening, this oriental-spicy Winter fragrance, slowly settles to a warm earthy-woody base.

parfums de marly - carlisle: der edelste hengst des pdm-gestüts. ps: riecht nicht nach pferd & ist jeden gemeinsamen ausritt wert! ;)
by Felsn
by eBOSS
by Okta
by Okta

Popular by Parfums de Marly

Layton by Parfums de Marly Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Delina La Rosée by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Haltane by Parfums de Marly Greenley by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly