Carlisle by Parfums de Marly

Carlisle is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is sweet-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Quentin Bisch

Top Notes Top NotesGreen apple, Nutmeg
Heart Notes Heart NotesTonka bean, Osmanthus, Davana, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Patchouli, Opoponax

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 18.10.2019

7.0 8.0 9.0 8.5/10

The noble cuddly ReIz
First you can notice an intense and strong greenish sweet note, which hides a very discreet sourish accent in the background and is due to the green apple.

At the same time, the apple is enveloped in a very beautiful light aromatic, light spicy note, which gives the top note a pleasant, softly marked mark and comes from nutmeg.

A little later the apple has reduced only very slightly and is therefore still clearly perceptible and melts with a beautiful gourmand, dense, sweet almond, slightly powdery spicy note to a smooth and engaging whole.

Something in the background, but still easy to perceive, a very beautiful, slightly sweet, fruity, from the inside warming balsamic mango-like, peachy note plays a wonderful cuddly charm and makes sure that the dense aura of the fragrance is still a little potentized and comes from the Osmanthus in interaction with the Davana
In the background and in my case only directly on the skin there is a deep, sweetly flowery, very slightly creamy note, which gives the fragrance its final touch and comes from the blugarian rose.

In the last 4 hours, a wonderful, clear, deeply sweet, creamy note can be perceived, which gives the finish a special velvety aura and comes from the Bourbon - Vanilla.

The vanilla is surrounded by a wonderful, soft, resinous, rather balsamic, slightly sweet, earthy note, which gives the fragrance a fine, attractive sensuality and is due to the opoponax in combination with the patchouli
In total, the fragrance lasts 9.5 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is designed from the beginning in such a way that one is perceived very clearly to the 3 meters and this is maintained also 4 hours in such a way, before it minimizes itself in quiet steps up to the conclusion of the smell.
8.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

Herod "Light"
Before I tested this fragrance, I asked two other users how they would classify it compared to Herod and Layton. They saw him on one side completely independently and on the other side in the middle between the two scents.

Although some scents match Layton, I could see little proximity between the two scents. At most, the sweet vanilla gives a hint of kinship.

It looked different with the Herod..... although there are only limited similarities with vanilla, patchouli and osmanthus, here the family tree can hardly be denied (MY MEINUNG NACH)

To show my impression more pictorial:
Herod is a very interesting person. An energetic, muscle-bound and untamed workhorse who works day and night at your side. But the presence of this can also overwhelm or even crush you. On the other side is Carlisle, the "son" of Herod. However, here the "mother" does not seem to be a muscular workhorse, but a master of tenderness. Carlisle is also a powerhouse... but slimmer, softer, more reserved, more tender, rounder and simply more defined in the motion sequence. Almost every step sits and its presence is always noticeable, just like with the "father". However, it does not overtax/crush, but leaves behind a respectful amazement.
Herod is the friendly bodybuilder who also likes to get louder, is a bit more pushy and doesn't shy away from conflict. Carlisle is the strong and reserved gentleman in the suit who attracts attention. Both take the environment for themselves. Herod can also score with character, but his appearance makes it difficult to look deeper. Carlisle has a very similar character, but not so loud and intrusive. Its presence is never overwhelming, yet it draws you under its spell. Carlisle is simply one of those people who enter a room and are liked or respected by almost everyone the same way, and you're not even 100% sure "why?".
In short: a sweet fragrance, less intense than a Herod, but with a strong hold and a strong sillage. If you don't like sweetness and/or vanilla, you may be overwhelmed with it
9.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

Dekaya
Unforgettable and imperishable - almost to the point of suffering
This is my first comment here on a fragrance I've been expecting for a long time. Then he also comes to the slightly inappropriate season, but I try to make an assessment anyway.
In itself it begins exactly as I had hoped, starts very rich in impressions, slightly sweet, spicy, floral, very warming, like a winter scent should do, a bit smoky, but only a little. Immediately notice the slight resemblance to Layton, the other PdM I have. But Carlisle is much less sweet and in my nose more versatile, he doesn't kill you as bad as the Playboy Layton (which I still like very much). Especially the rose gets through extremely with me, for example the floral aspect in general. Initially with this warming, whisky-like effect, later somewhat drier and calmer. So exactly how it should be in terms of odour technology, I have already received the first positive reactions. Quite clear fragrance progression from Juicy Intensive - over Calm Intensive to Dry Pleasant in Drydown.
I can't say much more about the actual smell, as already mentioned above, just very masculine, but also floral.
The great thing about it, or even the problem, is the durability.
Sure, a strong scent for cold seasons must last a long time and project strongly and it seems to be rather due to me when I read from the other experiences, but with me it lasts about 14-17 hours. I don't know what's going on, I'm not the one who can hold the perfumes forever, but Carlisle is drifting to the extreme.
And as beautiful as the scent is when I've had it on for 12 hours or however long it's been during the day, at some point I also want my nose to rest, but somehow it just keeps on projecting. And where I liked him so much yesterday, for example, 13 hours a day, he disturbed me at the dinner table in the evening. Then I want to smell my food and not my perfume which still roars, JUHU here I am, how great or ?
The day before I have him 19 o'clock on it to show a friend, then home, to bed and the next morning (about 9 o'clock) he was still present. I think it gets better in winter, hopefully he won't last too long and unfolds his effect more discreetly, until then he has to stay in the closet, but it's not his fault, he wasn't created for the warmer time.

If you are looking for a strong, unique and very versatile winter scent, with PdM typical DNA (although a bit more elegant) and don't mind the 280 Euro price (you can also get it good for 220-240), you are welcome to pay him a visit
9.0 8.0 10.0 10.0/10

Philharmony of Fragrances
I put Carlisle on for a Christmas party and was thrilled from the first moment. He accompanied me all evening and beyond...

As for the fragrance itself, all I can say is that it's perfect for me. A great combination of Tom Ford Noir Extreme, Parfums de Marly Habdan, Oajan and Herod. Herod is also one of my favourite fragrances. In Carlisle all of them are fantastically coordinated and brought to new splendour. Comparable to the Vienna Philharmonic, for example, an orchestra where each individual musician is a chorus, but overall a perfection.

Nothing here is too intrusive, dominant or disturbing. A delightful, pleasant Odeur surrounds the vehicle, and I really don't know anyone who didn't like it at me. On the contrary, one likes to be near a person wearing Carlisle because he is simply so pleasant and irresistible. Oajan alone is sometimes a bit too cinnamony for me, but Carlisle has taken just the right dose of Oajan, and that makes him so delicate. Herod makes him soft, sexy and manly. I find Tom Ford Noir Extreme with the Kulfi, cardamom and vanilla note very dominant in Carlisle.

The Sillage is not now that the whole room is filled with it, but in a pleasant bubble around you. When someone approaches you, he/she perceives the scent very well. Not obtrusive or penetrating, but just right with a feel-good factor. On the clothes the aroma keeps megalang and is not to be got away without washing, if one wants this at all. Even days after the Christmas party, the Sillage, which emanated from the sweater, was enough to enchant my immediate surroundings. Of course not as on the first day but at least. I would even say that Carlisle is one of the longest lasting fragrances I have experienced so far. I don't want to put the sweater in the washing machine ;-).
8.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

An alarming trend?
I've always been a big proponent of the brand in general, with Herod being one of my absolute favourite fragrances of all time; but lately...well, I've been noticing an alarming trend.

Surely I can't be the only one who's noticed that many PdM fragrances tend to smell eerily similar to earlier releases from other houses? For example, Godolphin smells like Tuscan Leather, Darley smells like Le Male, Galloway smells like Lalique White, Oajan smells like Ambre Narguile, Layton smells a bit like Pure Malt (to me) and even the new Percival smells strikingly close to Mont Blanc Legend/A&F Fierce. To be honest, I was never really fussed, perhaps having been mesmerized by the substantial heft of the bottles, but the realization came back to me all the more intensely when I smelled Carlisle.

You see, after purchasing a decant a while ago, I sprayed the sucker on and could immediatly tell where people got the Herod + Oajan/Pegasus connection. Sweet, slightly warm apple, honey crisp sort of vibe. What can I say? - It's good. Not entirely rich or deep, but good. That is....until about 30 minutes in. Then something else happened. As the minutes and hours went by, I just couldn't help but get wafts once in a while and think, gee, I've smelled this before. In fact it's almost identical to something in my collection already (I'm sure you know the feeling) but....what....is it? My mind remained in a daze until I finally looked up the notes and considered what else I had that was similar. Nothing. That is, until I remembered the Oajan connection. BINGO.

It's 811 Absoluto by Mathilde Bijaoui for Giovanna Antonelli parfums. And yeah, although that one came out a few years after, the similarity is, once again, UNCANNY. Naturally, I was more than a little bit disappointed and left thinking whether progressive niche brands have finally fallen victim to the designer trend of just copying each other to boost sales. Surely not though....right? Surely?

Either way, I still think it's a wonderful scent, especially for the upcoming holiday season. The blend is very smooth and incredibly true to the notes. Fruity, slightly floral, slightly powdery, warm and sweet. And whereas 811 achieves the effect with tolu balsam, honey, cloves and pepper, Carlisle does it with tonka, apple, osmanthus and nutmeg. Both have a touch of florals and vanilla (with the former being slightly longer lasting, albeit sharper on the nose - that would be the honey), and both layer extremely well with other gourmands. But in the end, the scents are, well, more than a little similar...to say the least. The biggest difference comes in the price, which I won't quote here, but let's just say it's as substantial as the PdM bottles.

So there you have it. Needless to say, I'm still looking forward to every new release by PdM regardless of what they resemble. In fact, compared to some of their earlier offerings, Carlisle is considerably more mass appealing IMO. But you know, sometimes, it just pays to be aware. Let's just hope that we don't find ourselves in a future where everyone smells like Aventus. Yeah. YOU know what I mean.

ScentedGent 17 days ago
Carlisle is as close to perfection as any fragrance I've ever had the opportunity to smell!+1
Carlitos01 60 days ago
For me Carlisle is "the all around" Parfum de Marly and recalls me of other Marly sweet scents. But the green apple note... just to strong!+3
Xanthon 11 months ago
Sweet seductive complex sophisticated. This is pinnacle of niche perfumery. Agree with MrHonest but this is hands down BEAUTIFUL! Don't miss+3
Toreter 16 months ago
Strong Wood start wit apple for 2-3 min. Then HEROD says Hi! wit smooth-silk vanilla & Marlys vibe . A++ sillage&longevty PEGASUS+HEROD mix+3

by eBOSS