Carlisle by Parfums de Marly
Top 42 in Men's Perfume
Carlisle is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2015. The scent is sweet-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Baraonda (Extrait de Parfum)

Quentin Bisch

Top Notes Top NotesGreen apple, Nutmeg
Heart Notes Heart NotesSaffron, Tonka bean, Osmanthus, Davana, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Opoponax

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 28.11.2020.

5.5
No good catch
I don't really know how or where to start...

Preface
Carlisle... A perfume that has interested me a lot for over a year, not least because of the strangely many good reviews and ratings. Can so many noses be wrong? I always thought not. Well... dazzled by the many good reviews and ratings, I ordered (must have been in the middle of the year) a bottling here on Parfumo and a bottle directly from a well-known perfumery. As dazzled as I was, I thought that if I liked the bottling, I would have the bottle in the house. Yes, naive of me, very naive indeed! I don't know what possessed me to think and act that way
But since I was seriously ill at that time and had to digest several serious blows of fate, I left the bottling and the OVP bottle, which is still foiled to this day - understandably so.

But for some time now I have pulled myself together to finally test Carlisle and was surprised, negatively surprised...

With me, Carlisle starts incredibly violent with a very heavy portion of menthol and nutmeg and something else unpleasant (saffron?) I don't know. I actually have to think of a cold or flu-like infection, as this strong menthol smell reminds me of ointment, cough drops and spicy cough syrup for adults. Unfortunately, this strong, unpleasant smell remains for me for a very long time - much too long!

In the later course the smell diminishes a bit and reminds of a mixture of Layton and Herod but still remains unpleasant for me. Where my beloved vanilla now is or remains, I don't know.

Flacon
I have not unpacked my bottle but have seen photos here and on the internet - I like it very much! The flacon is like the others from PDM, very massive and heavy.

Sillage and durability
Sillage and durability are violent (similar to MFK Grand Soir) and can certainly be smelled from a few meters away.

Conclusion
Even though I like PDM a lot, Carlisle was unfortunately a mistake for me. It may smell nice from a distance, but from close up I find it just unpleasant.

Carlisle causes a burning in my nose, slightly watery eyes, a slight headache and somehow even discomfort
I personally just don't get warm with Carlisle and will probably sell mine
Carlisle is very high quality and worth every cent for someone who likes this direction but I'll stick with Layton and Herod.
Off we go...
Right when I spray it, I find the smell off-putting and pungent... just as if there were so many fragrances in the bottle that the molecule chains first have to come together in the right way. Because that seems to be exactly what happens:
After a few minutes the fragrance convinces with an extremely delicious complexity.
It is spicy and sweet at the same time, but still has a slight freshness. Super! Br /> Careful, Carlisle is a real H&S monster! 2 sprays should be enough, maximum 3 - who sprays more, exaggerates it and may attract the attention of his environment as a "walking perfumery", possibly negatively! On the clothing (I had something hanging on the collar of the winter jacket) it remains well visible for several days, on the skin it provides a delicious cloud of scent that rises to the nose of the wearer for almost 24 hours.

With Carlisle, PDM has really made a big hit, even if the fragrance is a little more complex and mature than the more easily liked Pegasus and Layton.
At that price he is of course no blind buy candidate, I recommend to test a sample / filling first.

Mohdt966
Very well rated at 8,4...
I was very excited to smell this, probably the most hyped PDM recently, I've been a huge fan of Layton & Herod, i was expecting something very special, and it was, BUT...

The opening was very disappointing, I smell a lot of nutmeg and I don't like it, I waited cautiously for the dry down which was a huge lift up, the nutmeg faded away and a beautifully blended vanilla kicked in...

Overall, it's a very beautiful unique scent, not the best from PDM, i think 8,4 does represent it well.

Everyone should try Carlisle, but not a blind buy.

UPDATE: after having it for some time now, i'm growing in disappointment, still can stand the opening and can't find a reason to pick this one up over any other PdM when i go out, this is the one PdM that you should never blind buy the most... i'm lowered my rating
FleXiible
The masterpiece from the house of Marly
Anyone who can make friends with the Parfums de Marly brand should definitely try Carlisle. I personally like most of the Marlys that have a sweet note (Layton, Herod, Pegasus, Oajan...) very much. Carlisle was at the top of my watch list at that time and so I visited a perfumery that also carries Marlys. When I smelled Carlisle for the first time I was already a bit overwhelmed by the strong opening. In the beginning the fragrance is dominated by a spicy green apple and tonka bean and after a few hours a creamy vanilla is added.
Some claim that Carlisle is a combination of different Marlys. I can partly agree with this, because I recognize slight characteristics of Layton, Herod and Oajan. Even if Carlisle reminds me of other Marlys, it is still a fragrance in its own right, which simply smells special. Here one notices immediately that it is a niche fragrance.
2 sprayers are enough and you have a cloud of fragrance around you all day long. The durability & sillage are just enormous and therefore you should not wear Carlisle in closed rooms (unless you are alone in the room). For me the scent lasts almost a whole day on the skin and in the first 6-8 hours the projection is also quite strong. I can understand the slightly more expensive price compared to the other Marlys.
Oud...?? ouudd... Why do I smell oud
"boaarrr, what a beast" is my first thought right now.
I slip fresh out of the shower and (thanks again to Musa83) put the tester on to fire.
I have to say that I have already tested quite a few beasts and have been surprised both positively and negatively.

Two three four, chest TShirt neck and once in the mist "slide in". That is my perfume application algorithm. (should turn out to be a mistake)
As fast as the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars rushes south, the first pinch of Carlisle goes up my nose. Carlisle says the rabbit tickles deliciously in the nose; one time there was an advertisement for sparkling water on TV. And that's pretty much how I felt then.
I had to sneeze 4 times in a row...RECORD
Well, it's too much for my nose. The first 5 minutes I can hardly smell anything Now that I'm writing this, it's been an hour and I have to say it brings back memories from a few weeks ago. I had Amouage - Interlude Man Black Iris lying here for testing.
They may stone me now but somehow I find the two have a similarity with each other But I also have to admit that I'm not the kind of person who can break every perfume down into its individual parts.
Besides, this is my first comment here, so have mercy on me and let mercy roll o).

Well... now, as I said, there's one pint around. The storm has calmed down a bit and I think you can enjoy the smell now. It's probably something for the colder times. But I have enough alternatives for much cheaper prices.
I was allowed to test Herod Pegasus and Layton and they fit better to my persl. prey scheme, so the Calisle will probably not be part of my collection. To test it, but okay, you have to smell it. The ratings are also okay in my eyes, only I don't like it
Oh, yeah...there was a headline. Even after a little bit of 1 hour now I still smell oud. Maybe one of the specialists here can explain to me what it is that oudig smells

lg and a nice weekend to all of you
Christian
Rolf Zuckowski destroyed my life
I won't go into the title for now. That comes later. And I suppose, dear reader, you've already got a bad earwig. You're very welcome
I have read so much about Carlisle because he was on my wish list from the beginning. So let me just check off the things that I can confirm. Although Carlisle is already more than the sum of the parts from Herod and Layton, it really comes close to the final result. I tested it through Layers. He's also slightly boozy right after the starting line. And unfortunately also a bit fidgety. I didn't notice apple so much, but my old enemy Saffran did. He stuck me a little bit in the nose. But the whole thing calmed down visibly and then...

that damned Zuckowski comes into play. Because Carlisle smells to me like a memory I don't have. I'm 10 years old and one winter evening, after a big and lossy snowball fight, I'm standing in the kitchen and I get to help bake cookies. In the window there are already the candle arches and on TV ALF is on. Mom wants to try something new and mixes rose water into the dough. The spice rack tips over. The dear relatives come pipe-smoking to see what was rattling around there... The melange hanging in the air half an hour later is Carlisle for me. Unfortunately, my friend from Melmac is followed on TV by "In the Christmas bakery"...
Hold my vanilla croissant
I recently received a bottling of the fragrance from our esteemed Maxiking. The YouTube videos and reviews of the fragrance have triggered an enormous anticipation in me. However, I should have read the comments more consciously - at least my colleagues would have thanked me. As a "newcomer" I am currently testing various fragrances under "competition conditions" (in the office, in my leisure time or even when doing sports). Until the test day of Carlisle with quite neutral reactions

Unsuspectingly, I applied 4 generous splashes of the fragrance and was directly enveloped by a cloud that was to accompany me the whole day (yes, really the whole day!). In short, I transformed my office into a Christmas bakery. I would describe the scent as a spicy combination of vanilla crescent and apple strudel. This was also perceived in this way by my colleagues - and not too briefly. Probably the already positive reactions would have been even better, if I hadn't overdone the dosage ;). After about 8 hours the apple strudel said goodbye, while the vanilla and tonka bean took over. I could actually still perceive the scent on my skin after 12 hours! An absolute shelf life monster!

Summary:
Reactions are safe with this fragrance. However, for the benefit of the staff, it should not necessarily be used in the office. The Sillage is too powerful for that! If you are into Christmas cookies/vanilla and are looking for a scent with an unbelievable H/S, this is certainly the right place. For me it was a great scent adventure and a getting to know, which makes you want to repeat it

Arabic oud, modern name
Oud Oud Oud... Carlisle is not that beautiful, unique scent. It doesnt worth the money guys. Some reviews says= baked apple tart. I can actually says... İts a big NO! apple isnt the domination note. I feel lots of synthetic oud= sandalwood. And nutmeg. I smell 1655 numbers of scents that is similar carlisle's vibe. I saw this scent in Fragmental's video then I bought decant. Disappointed one. If youre not heavy ones lover, I cant recommend sorry. Arabs can like that. On my wrist longevity +8 hours 2 spray. Its big. Not unisex, hugely male.
Vortac
Beautiful fragrance with a strong sillage, but would not wear it
I recently ordered a sample of this perfume. It has been lying in my living room for about two days now, sprayed on paper strips next to Pegasus, Layton, Layton Exclusif and Aventus. Even there, Carlisle manages to overlay the other scents and create a sillage that you can pick up from time to time within a radius of two meters, while the others can only perceive something at most from a short distance. It behaves similarly on the skin. In the meantime I have already tested some perfumes, but Carlisle really stands out in this point very clearly.

The fragrance itself is just as extraordinary. For me it smells like cherry crumble with vanilla, like Christmas, somehow spicy but also pleasantly fresh, very warm but still bright. I can't decide by whom or when it should be worn. It simply smells delicious, very present but not obtrusive. I find it unisex, if not more like a women's fragrance, and I cannot assign it to a time of day or a season because it is very versatile. Christmas, going out, a picnic in the summer, all that and many more situations I can imagine. But if there's one thing he's not, it's an office fragrance. Somehow it is too unobjective, complex and tasty for that.

But for me Carlisle is somehow too much of a niche, so nothing I would spray on as a perfume. I think I would like to smell it on a woman, and it might look good on one or the other type of man, but overall it is very unusual. The attention of other people would be assured in any case. Nevertheless, this should not be a negative criticism, because it is one of the most beautiful fragrances I have ever smelled, because it is pleasant, calming, inspiring and totally creative. As a room fragrance, relaxation bath or sprayed on the pillow, I can personally rather imagine that. But that is of course a matter of taste. You should definitely try it.
Turi
A little of this, a little of this...
So where do I start... now my first niche scent was Pegasus. I had chosen Pegasus because I had read many positive reviews here on Parfumo and the lady in the perfumery of my trust said that she would get it here without any problems. Well then, there I was and had Pegasus and what a lovely breeze it was. From then on my passion for Marly fragrances increased steadily.

My second Marly was then (how could it be otherwise) Layton. Why Layton? Well, all the YouTuber and ratings were in favor. This time I bought it blind on the net. After two days he was already there and wow, apple, vanilla, wood. The fragrance was simply sensual and beautiful. With time I tested almost every Marly fragrance, with exceptions.

One day I walk into town on Saturday morning and the perfumery of my trust has freshly got Kalan in, so I went in and tested him (didn't knock me out), AAAAAAABER what was there: A bottle of Carlisle, also freshly arrived. Until that day, I hadn't smelled Carlisle. You couldn't see as fast as the one sprayed on the test strip. ZACK... I was shocked. Green fresh apple, spices, something slightly sour and yet soooo sweet and attractive warm. I'm only talking about the opening after 3 seconds! After that he was allowed to touch my wrist and I moved on.

After about 4 hours the fragrance was still as present as it was right after spraying on. The apple was always there, but it had become less sour and warmer. Like a baked apple with viiiiiiel vanilla and although I only had it on my wrist, the thing had a sillage that could only be topped by Megamare. After approx. 8-9 hours we could almost only smell vanilla and tonka bean. I was so enchanted by the stuff that I did the only right thing and went back to the store in the evening to buy it. Since then it's hailing compliments! S/H Beast, especially for the cold season.

Now to the parallels and the title of this commentary. Carlisle combines some fragrances from the PdM range. The apple in the opening reminds of Layton, but the adult and more elegant version of it. Afterwards the apple reminds more of Oajan, in a less sweet version. I even notice a touch of the rose from Akaster. The spice reminds of Herod, but also here, less sweet and clearly more adult. In the drydown he reminds of a mix of Layton and Herod. The lightly earthy, sweet and spicy vanilla with Tonka, are simply a dream. So all in all, with Carlisle you get a luxurious, adult and longer-lasting version of Herod and Layton, with influences from Oajan (which probably justifies the somewhat higher price). I guess that's why I banished Layton to the souk and threw Herod off my WL. I can really recommend it to everyone: test Carlisle!

911Frags911Frags 3 hours ago
you have already smelled something like that,
and the price is not worth it
BertolucciKBertolucciK 2 months ago
The opening is a bit off putting for me but then it settles down in a nice and cozy apple scent with vanilla, tonka bean and patchouli.
BumpyumaBumpyuma 8 months ago
Good smell - Average projection for 6 hours
ScentedGentScentedGent 1 year ago
Carlisle is as close to perfection as any fragrance I've ever had the opportunity to smell!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 1 year ago
For me Carlisle is "the all around" Parfum de Marly and recalls me of other Marly sweet scents. But the green apple note... just to strong!
XanthonXanthon 2 years ago
Sweet seductive complex sophisticated. This is pinnacle of niche perfumery. Agree with MrHonest but this is hands down BEAUTIFUL! Don't miss
ToreterToreter 2 years ago
Strong Wood start wit apple for 2-3 min. Then HEROD says Hi! wit smooth-silk vanilla & Marlys vibe . A++ sillage&longevty PEGASUS+HEROD mix

parfums de marly - carlisle: der edelste hengst des pdm-gestüts. ps: riecht nicht nach pferd & ist jeden gemeinsamen ausritt wert! ;)
by Felsn
by Tiho
by eBOSS
by eBOSS

Popular Parfums de Marly

Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly Galloway by Parfums de Marly Shagya by Parfums de Marly