Carlisle by Parfums de Marly
Top 41 in Men's Perfume
Carlisle is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2015. The scent is sweet-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Quentin Bisch

Base Notes Base NotesVanillaVanilla
PatchouliPatchouli
SandalwoodSandalwood
OpoponaxOpoponax

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 16.10.2021.

Carlisle, my precious thing
I was lucky enough to someone offer me a sample of Carlisle. When I smelled it for the first time I immediately thought it was the best perfume I´ve ever smelled. I had already smelled Herod, Layton and Oajan at that time. None of them marked me as much as Carlisle. If I had to pick a signature fragrance, this would be it. Without thinking twice. The opening that looks like a sweet liqueur grabbed me from the first time. Its quite strong (and i love that) in the first minutes but then the subtlety of this perfume is indescribable. Gentle yet powerful. Sophisticated but playful at the same time. Seductive by nature and a relentless predator. Carlisle was born to be king. The quality of the ingredients its fantastic. Durability and projection are good but not perfect. At least in my case. But i can live with that. Gladly.
Oh Carlisle, my precious thing...
Leimbacher
For a nickel and a dime..
For not a few the best fragrance from the already highly traded Marly house, but still always something in the second row behind the two Laytons and "Herod" - "Carlisle" is a darkened fruit of the noble class!

"Carlisle" by Parfums de Marly is probably the finest oud scent with no oud in it at all, or at least listed. But we all know that doesn't have to mean anything. An oriental creamy apple strudel with woody wearable elements and facets that never fail to delight and captivate. Sometimes masculine harsh, sometimes feminine tender. Always ingeniously appealing. Sometimes earthy dark, almost musty, sometimes lighter and more gourmand to bite into. "Carlisle" has a clear DNA and direction, yet dozens of surprising as well as somehow fitting triads that always leave you speechless. In a positive sense. And I guess that's what you call great art. More of an autumn scent for me. Somewhere in luxury land between "Boss Bottled" and "Encre Noir". Absolutely outstanding. Perfect blend. It doesn't get much more delicious and harmonious than that.

Flacon: heavy and... give it!
Sillage: potent and never misses
Durability: 10 hours and more

Conclusion: bye bye, Mr. American Pie? Rather hello you delicious treat for suit and proposal!
The superstar among the Parfums de Marlys
Not too long ago I discovered a new hobby besides football, martial arts and basketball: perfumes!
Back then, when my girlfriend asked me what I wanted for my anniversary, I told her, "I don't think you're buying me anything for that price." Girlfriend: "I don't care about the price what do you want?" After that I showed her a picture of Carlisle and her response was, "Another perfume?" After that I had my doubts if I would get this fragrance at all, if not then it would have been absolutely no problem (understandably +250€). But I got the fragrance and was very happy about it. Very nobly packed and my first spray, I was not so convinced at the beginning because I have never smelled something like this, but if you give the fragrance time and let it mature then it becomes stronger and smells even better! If you buy a fragrance and it doesn't meet your expectations at the beginning, give it some more time. I'm glad that I have this bottle because the H/S is simply outstanding and the fragrance smells really noble
From me a clear buy recommendation :)

SmellyPete
Nice but not my favourite PDM
I bought a full bottle in the middle of 2020 (Batch code: 0340156) after following the massive hype.

I'm not able to break out the individual notes - to my simplistic nose smell woody and somewhat like tobacco.

It definitely a nice masculine fragrance that has decent performance but not to the hype level of most reviewers and influencers. With 6 sprays (half on my shirt) I get 4-6 hours of longevity but with moderate projection. Mostly skin scent for me after two hours...

I'm interested to know whether other with my batch have the same performance. For me this is a bit of a disappointment when compared to what I was expecting and to what I get from my other PdM fragrances.

For me this is not a room filler and I'll be wearing this to work - sillage is noticable but not overwhelming for the first couple of hours

I did get a boost when I did some exercise and warmed up. I was not really able to smell it on clothes the next day (it was only detectable because I knew it was there)

I'm ok with the performance of my batch though my Layton and Layton Exclusif perform way better - and to be honest I prefer their scents above Carlisle

Power
This and Oajan had one of the most powerful sillage in my big collection. It doesn’t matter how cold it is , it’s very very strong and projection also is a beastmode . I recommend this beast to everyone who likes sillage in the fragrances
Back to Party Times...
For me it smells one to one like a good old Malibu-Multi, which you order for 1€ at a special event in the disco of your trust. I'm having flashbacks. Traumatized and fascinated at the same time, but rather nothing I would spray on me. Too bad, usually small PdM fanboy ;)
Lr510
What Herod was supposed to be! Or maybe once was...
A few weeks ago, I decided to order bottlings of Layton, Herod and Carlisle, as the house of Parfums de Marly has long appealed to me. Actually, this should have been done a long time ago, however, I was somewhat deterred by some Youtubers, as their behavior raises the suspicion that PdM is not exactly averse to paid and veiled advertising. These endless praises of pretty much every release from the house, and even the seemingly complete dedication of a channel at times, then put me off (at least me) rather than entice me to make a purchase.

Anyway, it was to come that I wanted to sample at least some fragrances. First I tested Layton and Herod. Layton was then but rather boring, but still not bad. Herod was completely different from what I expected: Super high quality and unique! Nevertheless not too fancy. I immediately thought that this could be my new signature scent. But then it revealed itself to me relatively quickly the non-existent durability. Very very sad!

Due to my disappointment with Herod Carlisle then remained untested for a few days in the closet next to all my other bottlings. Somehow, this sharp and at the same time balanced sweet tobacco scent but no longer wanted to get out of my head. I remembered that there is another horse in the PdM stable and that it is often compared to Herod. Probably the most hyped fragrance from the house. I was expecting something fancy and super pleasing at the same time. Something you have not smelled before and that makes you think "wow".

That's exactly what I got when I sprayed it on. It smells like you're at a sweet pastry stall in an oriental market. Spicy, sweet, gourmand but balanced and kind of sexy, even if you don't necessarily associate sweet pastries directly with sexiness.
(For the following paragraph, it should be said that I applied a mere four spritzes.)
On the way to my girlfriend, I then also noticed pretty quickly the bombsillage of this fragrance. The whole interior of my car was filled with a slightly oriental aura. At first I thought that this was then a little too strong for me, but arrived at my girlfriend and in a slightly larger living room, the scent filled this then perfectly. Not mega penetrating but light, but present on all sides. I got then also directly the first compliment from the sister of my friend. This had never before made me a compliment for a fragrance and I have already worn very many different fragrances there.
Even after almost 4 hours and an odor-intensive barbecue Carlisle has lost nothing of its power and presence! Still one takes him in the room. Unbelievable! Such a sillage I wish for many more fragrances. Simply perfect.
After 6 hours, Carlisle starts to get a little closer to the skin, is up close but still noticeable after 10 hours.

What I would give for Herod to have the same sillage and longevity as Carlisle! For me personally, that would be a fragrance very close to perfection. Through a little research, I then realized that this was probably not always so with Herod, but that there is probably a batch problem. I know that from somewhere...

In conclusion, I can only say that Carlisle is a really very balanced and surprisingly natural fragrance with strong durability and perfect sillage for me! Who likes spicy-sweet, slightly oriental fragrances, which may also go slightly in the gourmand direction, is right on the money here!
For me (and also my girlfriend) he is then but a little too much sweet pastry and for most occasions rather inappropriate, but that is purely a matter of taste.

For me, it remains to hope that Herod is again as strong in durability and sillage, as many have described it here. Then I give him maybe again a chance...
RubinS
Scramble at the cocktail bar with a conciliatory round of coffee
By chance, I recently fell a 30% of a well-known German online perfumery in the hands, which officially offers PDM. So the proud € 280, - lowered to under 200- and joyfully waited for the postman.

The first spray was immediately accompanied by an irritated basic aggression in me. I felt transported back to a potential evening 20-30 years ago: it's the weekend and we are standing at a crowded bar. In passing, someone has probably just tipped me again his Long Island Ice Tea over the freshly washed clothes...

Pretty much exactly how the opening of Carlisle smelled to me. Medicinal rum, citrusy (no apple for me) and the spices reminded me of cola. Stupidly one of the cocktails I never liked. In both the efficacy and taste categories, there have been steadily different favorites for me.

So I stand there with the unloved smell and am first of all a little disappointed.

Boozyness is definitely present. I would describe the opening with phenolic (Havana Club 3 years sends his regards), Fruity citrus with a huge surge of nutmeg and some vanilla (designer cola like). a few smoky swaths I catch, which fits the image of the bar of yesteryear.

Quiet he was not at all and for me a little too much in the room. So jacket on and out into the cool winter air. The transformation there then absolutely enchanted me after a few minutes. Suddenly I was standing in the middle of fruity, floral, spicy and sweet without any weighting being apparent. Beautifully billowing in changing nuances, movement does him very well and helps him to transform.

This is also where the cake analogies come into play for me then. The smoke has made way for a conciliatory fruit crumble cake. I feel Opoponax in the direction of stone fruit and so I imagine a delicious plum Datschi (sheet cake) with delicious vanilla streusel.

At the end of the day and at the beginning of the morning I have then still clearly a me pleasant warm mixture of sandalwood patchouli and vanilla at me, with the last fruit notes resonate. With clothes he moves in formally and becomes a long-term tenant.

Fortunately, the second part of the fragrance journey was so forgiving for me. I have now worn him more often and the relationship has developed so to the positive. Gladly I would like to apply him every day for a walk. Perhaps it has also matured a little. I don't notice the nasty tangy note anymore. It has changed rather to a delicious rum pot.

Only Wehrmutropfen: My wife and daughter are not my opinion and accept the fragrance rather than that they love him.

For this reason, it is perhaps better that he does not draw wide circles around me but rather close around me projected. For 280, - one or the other would have nevertheless wished a little more sillage.

Fun Fact: After the first notes I smell coconut - do not even know where that comes from?

Ptsau
It’s one of the best from PDM!
I finally could test it at Bloomingdales as it’s finally opened to sell at US retailers. I heard many good things about it for a long time but just never wanted to buy it blindly and it wasn’t easy to find sample too. Now I finally got a full bottle.

I was only so so with its opening. It was a little too green and earthy for my taste although I like patchouli but this opening just have strong green fishy vibe. Good that the green apple made it more pleasant and uplifting. That’s why I said I was only so so with its opening. After 0.5 to 1 hour, the strong green earthy vibes became faint. They still there but just not as strong and step back more into the background. The patchouli is still prominent but just not as fishy green with the sweetness of the tonka beans, vanilla and rose starting to showing up, though not cloyingly sweet. It smells gorgeous starting at this point. The green apple is still there but not as strong and as it dries down more, I can detect the smokiness even there’s no tobacco in the notes breakdown. It does smells like Herod and Layton mixed together with patchouli (more on the Herod side that I really love too). Then after 5-6 hours mark, it became sweeter but still not cloying and the smokiness is growing stronger with the patchouli is still there. It’s like creamy and smoky patchouli. I am just so in love with its scent.

Performance is great although not superb. Last 9+ hours on my perfume eating skin and last for days on my clothes. It has great projection for 4-5 hours. My husband could still smell me from a distance after I put it on for 5 hours then it will become closer to skin after that.

It is a perfume that would evolve in stages. It’s not the gourmand kind of sweet. It is thick, complex, unique kind of mass appealing fragrance. Not so niche but also not a designer kind of scent. It’s quite unisex as I’m a woman and love to wear it. I also think that you can wear it all seasons as long as you know how to control your sprayer. It’s a 9.5/10 for me(it would be 10/10 if it has a better opening). It does worth the money with its unique scent and performance also 125ml is a big bottle that last you forever.
Burnt apple pie?
Once upon a time, as is often the case, a bottling spent some time hibernating in my drawer. Forgotten it never was, because I was just not a big fan of PdM. Too sticky the typical sweetness for my nose....
All the bigger became not only my pupils but also the surprise for me when I smelled the sprayer.
A subtle sweetness, which was rounded off with a slight freshness and absolute balance.
Man was I excited the next day, perhaps a new contender for my next signature scent to know. Do I come then finally in the long-awaited club of PdM purely ? I did not know that the real surprise is only on the way to me!
All the smaller became not only the pupils but also the nostrils as this board hit me on the nose. Do I smell something burning? Ash? Yes it stuck to me again and wouldn't let me go.
A friend of mine said it smelled like apple pie and I believe her. But I can't smell it on me, unfortunately.

RisingChaosRisingChaos 4 months ago
Musty, dirty, woody. It's like walking into my leaky basement after it rains heavily and partially floods. Apple, rose, vanilla drydown.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 10 months ago
After a pronounced and boozy, spicy fruity-sweet opening, this oriental-spicy Winter fragrance, slowly settles to a warm earthy-woody base.
911Frags911Frags 11 months ago
you have already smelled something like that,
and the price is not worth it
BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 year ago
The opening is a bit off putting for me but then it settles down in a nice and cozy apple scent with vanilla, tonka bean and patchouli.
BumpyumaBumpyuma 2 years ago
Good smell - Average projection for 6 hours
ScentedGentScentedGent 2 years ago
Carlisle is as close to perfection as any fragrance I've ever had the opportunity to smell!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
For me Carlisle is "the all around" Parfum de Marly and recalls me of other Marly sweet scents. But the green apple note... just to strong!
XanthonXanthon 3 years ago
Sweet seductive complex sophisticated. This is pinnacle of niche perfumery. Agree with MrHonest but this is hands down BEAUTIFUL! Don't miss
ToreterToreter 3 years ago
Strong Wood start wit apple for 2-3 min. Then HEROD says Hi! wit smooth-silk vanilla & Marlys vibe . A++ sillage&longevty PEGASUS+HEROD mix

parfums de marly - carlisle: der edelste hengst des pdm-gestüts. ps: riecht nicht nach pferd & ist jeden gemeinsamen ausritt wert! ;)
by Felsn
by Tiho
by eBOSS
by eBOSS

Popular Parfums de Marly

Layton by Parfums de Marly Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Delina La Rosée by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Greenley by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly