Godolphin by Parfums de Marly
Godolphin is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2011. The scent is leathery-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesSaffronSaffron
VanillaVanilla
VetiverVetiver
White cedarwoodWhite cedarwood
MuskMusk

Submitted by Lila, last update on 17.10.2021.

RollinStone
For such a material only the finest..
Godolphin is his name. The horse, it wears a new and beautiful saddle. This great saddle was hand sewn together by the most renowned saddler in town with the best Italian leather available, Filigree.
Regally caressing this new Soft Saddle Godolphin, he appreciates it. With lifted head he gallops proudly around in the arena and wants to say, look closely... my saddle has become so beautiful, and especially the scent which goes out from him, is a dream.
The master saddle maker has of course put a lot of thought into this saddle before handing it over to Godolphin i.e. not only has he shaped and sewn it to perfection, but he has also used the best natural fats and oils in the finishing process to ensure that this saddle remains supple, comfortable, protected and fragrant for as long as possible.
Little personal story on the side:
Back when I was looking for a leather scent, even before I knew this wonderful community here... I have like many others here certainly also, watched a lot of YouTube and me there more or less inform/influenzen let :)

There were really some leather scents on my list, however only Tuscan Leather and Godolphin triggered serious interest in me at the time....

One weekend I'm then in the Stuttgart Breuninger and have both fragrances applied, each two sprays on the wrist / pulse veins... and then it went off, the direct comparison.

TL is a super fragrance and you can definitely say that Godolphin has been inspired by it, however, he was me in direct comparison still a tick sweeter or the raspberry something too penetrating.

In contrast, Godolphin is m.M.n more complex, a little spicier and especially less sweet.

The leather association comes across very delicately in both and is clearly perceptible.

On the same evening then at home, so about 6-7 hours later, when I am with the nose directly to the wrists, I have then perceived almost no difference and one could have thought that it is one and the same fragrance..
But just the first hours has addressed me Godolphin more, and thus the decision was then on the same evening already fallen.

In durability and sillage of Godolphin there is nothing at all to complain about, you have to dose rather carefully at the beginning until you have found his sweet spot with him..
With me it's two sprays in the neck and I have the whole working day what of him and even beyond.

Conclusion: Godolphin is quite a test werd, provided one can start with" ledrigen" fragrances what.

Thanks for reading!

Sincerely

Not gold but bronze.
The opening of this fragrance resembles Tom Ford's Ombre Leather, only weaker, dryer and less sweet. Pretty soon something medicinal comes to me and this, together with the leather tones, makes me feel like I'm at the local shoemaker. The fragrance is not unpleasant, but there is nothing new. Perhaps they used Godolphin as inspiration to develop his superior Tom Ford counterpart of Tom Fire. What also disappoints me is that fragrance undergoes little development. After 1 hour it’s leather, leather and… leather. And that's quite an achievement, but too boring for me. Also the durability (3 hours on my skin) and sillage are slightly disappointing and don’t do justice to the color of the bottle. Not gold, but rather bronze (barely). Sorry.

Off through the hedge
At first I was sceptical for a long time whether I could like the scent. Tart leather aromas are not really my thing. As luck would have it, the offer was good, I took the deal and had my favourite scent of this year's autumn sent to me.

I don't know why, but sometimes there are days when my nose hides certain notes and highlights other notes quite strongly.
For the first time I noticed this with Armanis Stronger with you. If I had nutty sweetness in my nose the first time, the next time it was just the scratchy sage.

It's the same with Godolphin on bad days. Actually a quite sweet almost unisex scent, my nose is missing the lovely superstructure completely. What remains is a bitter-sweet and dark note that almost reminds me of smoldering conifers. This skeleton probably represents the imitation leather, which according to the pyramid is most likely the thyme.

On good days I can expect an unobtrusive, even if quite present, soft leather scent that lasts very long.

Because of the relative lightness I like to use Godolphin during the day, the durability of my skin lasts until late in the evening, if not until the next morning anyway.

With currently several layers of clothing I get along more than well with 3 sprayers. With T-shirt I would reduce the dose to 1 - 2.
What I smell...
Try to describe in my words what I smell. Be lenient because I explain purely subjectively what I smell!
(Thanks to Idk for the souk)

(Is my 4th PdM souk. Herod, Carlisle, Layton and Godolphin)

Start or top note:
2 seconds fruity sweet.
Then tangy leather which is not pungent, rather smooth but still doesn't remind me of any perfume I've ever smelled. At this stage it doesn't look like it should be a perfume scent at all.
After 15 minutes still light soft and clear leather. In the background fruitiness can be guessed but does not stand out clearly. No sweetness recognizable. Only leather.

After 20 minutes approx. the Sillage is already a little fruity and slightly sweet. If you press your nose on the back of your hand the leather continues to stand out extremely. At this point it is clearly niche and not very suitable for the masses.

After approx. 30 min
A light and with it I mean really only a light sweet one, like the TL of TF, waves quite inconspicuously in the background Jasmine and rose give the impression of a light fruitiness with sweetness in the background. Leather still full there!!!!
Overall still on the tart side of the fragrance. (The closer you smell the back of your hand)

Strong Sillage which is a bit sweet and fruity. (Approx. from 20 cm distance from the back of the hand)

To be continued... Evaluation by notes only for the time being, only for the sake of form. I will change this in the course of time
From unisex to new car

Happily unisex and then male noble...
.....the start is cheerful and carefree, fruity raspberry, slightly spicy and sweet. Tuscan Leather has done it to me, but then again and again it is too tart, the top note fades away quickly. Not with Godolphin, the top note is similar, lasts much longer and makes the scent more pleasing and easier to like. In the beginning, depending on the temperature, I sometimes wish for something less fruity and sweet, a kind of mixture of TL and Godelphin. But on the whole, this one is more pleasing. I keep both !
Paramecia Stallion
In the world of politics, Marxists and Leninists are close to each other. In the world of fragrances, this is less the case with Marlyists and guerrillas. Guerlinists prefer classic perfumes, while Marlyists are attracted to modern fragrances tailored to a younger and prestige-conscious public. The two factions are not always friendly towards each other in this forum; in the worst case, they consider each other to be a gang of arrogant old men or cultureless scent proleties.

Although there is no doubt about my own position in this (of course grossly simplified) camp, I think that here one should not only treat each other nicely across factional boundaries, but also deal with the other camp's favourite brands without prejudice and open-mindedness. It is remarkable that there is hardly any comment or statement on this very popular fragrance (205 owners, among the top 100 men's fragrances in the Parfumo ranking) from the pen of a proven guerlinist!

The brand "Parfums de Marly" was founded in 2009. The name is fictitious and is supposed to allude to Marly Castle near Paris, the summer residence of the late French kings and little sister of Versailles Castle. Unlike Versailles, Marly was largely destroyed during the French Revolution. Marly Castle never had a special relationship to perfumes, although the courtiers and their favourites certainly had a strong fragrance. The name of the brand is thus generally intended to evoke an idea of luxury and extravagance. Marly Castle did not have any racing stables or the like, but it did have a famous horse sculpture created in 1743, which survived the demise of the castle and was later displayed in the Louvre. The horses on the flacons are visually inspired by this masterpiece of sculpture.

I think there's some reason why the guerrillas don't like this brand. I, for example, not only have a preference for the big old brands like Dior, Caron or especially Guerlain, but also for very modern houses like (to varying degrees) Urban Scents, Byredo, Le Labo, A Lab on Fire or Etat Libre d'Orange. The products of these modern brands are all modern in style, roughly speaking somewhere between Art Deco, Bauhaus (the art movement, not the DIY store) and Ikea (but now the furniture store). The typical guerlinist probably perceives a modern brand that makes you feel like French aristocracy, as Gelsenkirchen Baroque, Talmi and Junker Prahlhans. So as kitschy, tasteless and showy. But many Marlyists seem to find the flair of luxury, including golden flacons, just attractive. I would be interested to know how young French fragrance lovers, who are closer to "Marly", see it, maybe cool guys from the banlieus with an Arabic migration background. Do they like the Ludwig-the-Fifteenth image just so straight, do they find it ironically broken funny (like a Hamburg club visitor might find a perfume with "Neuschwanstein image"), or just embarrassing? Or do they perceive it as a symbolism of a hated, rich, powerful arrogant elite ?

Godolphin is a modern leather scent in the style of "Tuscan Leather" (in contrast to the completely different leather scents of ancient styles and those of the middle generation like Knize Ten), whereby the (however incredibly realistic) leather impression is constructed by vegetable and certainly also chemical ingredients. Especially the notes saffron, iris and vanilla, which are listed in the pyramid, I can smell out here, but only if I know it. Otherwise not: Everything is so well used that it just results in one thing: Leather. Nothing else. Because Godolphin is an absolutely monothematic fragrance. There are no raspberries or other fruits, no woods (at best soft cork), no flowers, no spices. Only leather, leather, leather. And it is an incredibly soft, noble, rather light leather. Although I have never consciously had such a leather in my hands before, I spontaneously remember the term saffiano leather (aka Maroquin leather): From literature the epitome of the extremely soft, noble leather (Arabic origin) often used for expensive slippers and purses. In the Magic Mountain there is a scene in which Hans Castorp only steps onto the balcony of the Swiss sanatorium "in fil-d'Ecosse underwear and with red Saffian slippers". By the way, there's nothing but leather on the right and left, not even on the timeline. Godolphin stands on the skin as developmentally free as a helicopter that navigates fixed at exactly the same position and height. Only that with Godolphin also the rotor blades stand still and the thing nevertheless does not crash.

So you don't know whether to admire the craftsmanship of creating such a perfectly linear leather scent with such ingredients, or whether to say, for 210 euros, the 125 ml bottle (which, by the way, is exactly enough expensive to generate the image of an exclusive niche, but not yet so expensive that a broad group of buyers will wave off disinterestedly, as with the 500-euro Oberbonzen brands) a little bit of depth and excitement. I leave that open at this point. In any case, I find the fragrance very interesting, very well made and very well wearable by many personality types in many situations. But I don't think it is an exceptional fragrance that inspires me. However, I am not a fan of modern leather fragrances in general. I like to smell some from time to time (like Cuir Blanche by Givenchy or the absurdly expensive Cuir Celeste by Ex Nihilo), but I am not the type of person who would buy one and wear it regularly. In this respect my 7.5 points are certainly subjective. The performance of this fragrance is of medium kind and quality. It lasts about five to six hours with (quite welcome) moderate projection, probably longer than the historical Godolphin (see below) could gallop (or mate) in one piece.

I give seven points for the name "Godolphin." I like the fact that it's short, distinctive and unmistakable. It has a beautiful sound and opens a wide range of associations. Godolphin was the name of an ancient English noble family from the time of the Norman conquest. But the fragrance is named after the Arabian stallion Godolphin, who was once given to a French king by the ruler of Tunis. This follows the line of "Parfums de Marly" to name all their fragrances after famous horses in world history. I can't do anything with this idea, because I'm not a horse or even a rider. And this is a leather scent, but the good Goldolphin, when he was out of shape, was hopefully not made into slippers.
A good leather smell!
I find a really interesting scent and in contrast to Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford, I found this one wearable right away and it made me "addicted"...You don't fall into ecstasy now, but somehow you always want to sniff it.
It is rather a fragrance for cooler times and for the evening.
Chizza
The dignified, business-suited leather without leather
Godolphin is a curious scent. I know him personally from a review of Carlitos perfume on another fragrance where he described Godolphin as an example of a fine leather. That made me curious at the time and so I actually bought this scent blind. And this although I'm no friend of the common PdM. I do not regret this step. Godolphin actually smells of leather, and it's not obtrusive, yet present and sublime. This fact is exciting, because according to Pyramid there is no leather in it. I can't say what smells like leather, but I can say that I don't like the complete heart notes individually. Whatever has been processed here, the result is great. The smell here doesn't mow anyone down in the first few minutes, you don't get beaten with a leather hammer. Gently Godolphin nestles up to you, you can wear this scent in the office because of its class and in the evening when going out.

I myself cannot detect any particular development in the fragrance but I don't miss that either. Godolphin is straightforward, stringent and pleasing simply because it has no directional changes and no exuberant top notes. Of course, his silage is not as pronounced as with other leather scents. Is that a drawback? That's for everyone to decide.
In short, if you find TL and the like too oppressive, if Ombre is a little too sweet, if you simply want to appear conservative yet reserved when working with a leather scent: Godolphin might be the answer.

Leko
The gold leather and all that...
This leather scent comes to you flowery, fruity, sweet and immediately spicy, wood and leather is clearly noticeable. Unfortunately the sweetness remains permanently present and for me it is clearly too much. TL is for me the more direct leather scent, which then goes off powdery with a slight sweetness. La Yuqawam, to name the third in the bunch, is even fruitier because of the raspberry, but not quite as sweet as Godolphin.

If you like it tart and clearly leathery, you can watch Cuir Intense or the Black Afghan (not to be confused with Black Afgano). I have already reported on both fragrances
Of course there are many more leather candidates, unfortunately mostly lushly flowery and sweet. Everyone should try it in peace and quiet to find their candidate. In a short period of time, I have passed at least 15 candidates, which contained more or less leather components
Godolphin is certainly a very complex and high-quality candidate, with good durability and acceptable sillage, but too playful and lovely for me.
Fine leather jacket
What an evening
Saturday evening a good friend wants to go to celebrate and asked me to come along.
So it is 22 o'clock go fast still in the shower and make me slowly finished . Stand in front of my wardrobe and think about what I could wear tonight :)
Blue jeans black jeans the choice is difficult for me :)
after long consideration I decided unimaginatively for a black jeans black sweater with a heavy robust rocker leather jacket and black boots. So the look fits, all in black you can do nothing wrong "I thought to myself". Then my cell phone rang .
"Hurry up, I'm already down" my friend had arrived and I quickly packed everything together and go. When I locked the door of my apartment, I remembered... e have no smell on it " and back again.
Stand in front of my modest collection and quickly consider which one are you doing up? Aventus? Would fit but no... you can't stand it :)
And look what's sparkling like a gold bar ?
Godolphin my eyes shine and say "yes you will manage that! "
After I had sprayed myself generously, I ran down the stairs and what stood in front of the door? It's not a made-up story!!!
A 911 Turbo boahhh just thought the hammer and guess in which color:) no joke really! The car was completely painted black with the rims ...!!!!! Matching the outfit ;)
We drove off and made our way to the club .
while driving the song was played by Tupac (all eyez on me)
Sounds asian sorry :) but seemed like a superstar to me :))
finally arrived we stood in front of the Club Pearl (the hottest nightclub in Berlin) strutted I walked with Godolphin and my leather jacket, past the whole queue waiting to come in. The security opened the VIP entrance for us and I thought the song just won't stop "all eyez on me" :))))

Why am I telling the whole thing without talking about the scent in detail?
Don't you know the feeling of feeling special on special days? Wearing his lover's jacket or jeans? Some say what role does it matter what you wear or where you are when the scent makes you like it up? But I see it differently because Godolphin was the perfect companion and gave me great joy :)))))

Godolphin harmonized super with the leather jacket it smelled fruity, noble, woody, spicy and discreetly after finest leather.
For special evenings a great companion that looks noble, luxurious and discreet.

The shelf life is quite good, even if the Sillage decreases after about 1-2 hours and is very close to the skin recognizable.
What has bothered me personally but not.

Hope you weren't bored?
I'm not the best writer, like many others.

Please for understanding:))))

Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 2 months ago
Very similar to Tuscan Leather, maybe the fruitiness is a bit amped up
EinsteinvEinsteinv 9 months ago
Fruity leather. Similar to Tuscan Leather and La Yuqawam but I prefer it to those two.
AithanAithan 1 year ago
Well balanced Floral & Leathery scent.
Very pleasing & Leather is not very pungent.
Performs very well.
TRehfTRehf 1 year ago
Aromatic leathery-spicy. Similar to TL. Less smoky, more wearable & overall better value. Not original. If you want the original, buy TL.
KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
Less rough alternative of Tuscan Leather. A fragrance that is more practical than originality. Good enough performance.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
A very competitive scent in the leather front! On a pair with Tuscan Leather and its good clones minus the top raspberry note (thank God!).
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 3 years ago
I prefer this one over TL? Am I a weirdo? Smells better to me and the 125ml costs the same as the TL 50ml

Let´s do the bad boy thing!
by TBXXI
by Stefan480
by Ceddi123
by Ceddi123
by Sarungal
Ich habe manch gülden Parfum  ;)
by steamyandor
by Vawallpa
by Vawallpa

Popular Parfums de Marly

Layton by Parfums de Marly Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Delina La Rosée by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Greenley by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly