Godolphin by Parfums de Marly

Top 90 in Men's Perfume
Godolphin is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2011. The scent is leathery-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesSaffron, Thyme
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Jasmine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Vanilla

Submitted by Lila, last update on 06.07.2020.

From unisex to new car

Happily unisex and then male noble...
.....the start is cheerful and carefree, fruity raspberry, slightly spicy and sweet. Tuscan Leather has done it to me, but then again and again it is too tart, the top note fades away quickly. Not with Godolphin, the top note is similar, lasts much longer and makes the scent more pleasing and easier to like. In the beginning, depending on the temperature, I sometimes wish for something less fruity and sweet, a kind of mixture of TL and Godelphin. But on the whole, this one is more pleasing. I keep both !
Paramecia Stallion
In the world of politics, Marxists and Leninists are close to each other. In the world of fragrances, this is less the case with Marlyists and guerrillas. Guerlinists prefer classic perfumes, while Marlyists are attracted to modern fragrances tailored to a younger and prestige-conscious public. The two factions are not always friendly towards each other in this forum; in the worst case, they consider each other to be a gang of arrogant old men or cultureless scent proleties.

Although there is no doubt about my own position in this (of course grossly simplified) camp, I think that here one should not only treat each other nicely across factional boundaries, but also deal with the other camp's favourite brands without prejudice and open-mindedness. It is remarkable that there is hardly any comment or statement on this very popular fragrance (205 owners, among the top 100 men's fragrances in the Parfumo ranking) from the pen of a proven guerlinist!

The brand "Parfums de Marly" was founded in 2009. The name is fictitious and is supposed to allude to Marly Castle near Paris, the summer residence of the late French kings and little sister of Versailles Castle. Unlike Versailles, Marly was largely destroyed during the French Revolution. Marly Castle never had a special relationship to perfumes, although the courtiers and their favourites certainly had a strong fragrance. The name of the brand is thus generally intended to evoke an idea of luxury and extravagance. Marly Castle did not have any racing stables or the like, but it did have a famous horse sculpture created in 1743, which survived the demise of the castle and was later displayed in the Louvre. The horses on the flacons are visually inspired by this masterpiece of sculpture.

I think there's some reason why the guerrillas don't like this brand. I, for example, not only have a preference for the big old brands like Dior, Caron or especially Guerlain, but also for very modern houses like (to varying degrees) Urban Scents, Byredo, Le Labo, A Lab on Fire or Etat Libre d'Orange. The products of these modern brands are all modern in style, roughly speaking somewhere between Art Deco, Bauhaus (the art movement, not the DIY store) and Ikea (but now the furniture store). The typical guerlinist probably perceives a modern brand that makes you feel like French aristocracy, as Gelsenkirchen Baroque, Talmi and Junker Prahlhans. So as kitschy, tasteless and showy. But many Marlyists seem to find the flair of luxury, including golden flacons, just attractive. I would be interested to know how young French fragrance lovers, who are closer to "Marly", see it, maybe cool guys from the banlieus with an Arabic migration background. Do they like the Ludwig-the-Fifteenth image just so straight, do they find it ironically broken funny (like a Hamburg club visitor might find a perfume with "Neuschwanstein image"), or just embarrassing? Or do they perceive it as a symbolism of a hated, rich, powerful arrogant elite ?

Godolphin is a modern leather scent in the style of "Tuscan Leather" (in contrast to the completely different leather scents of ancient styles and those of the middle generation like Knize Ten), whereby the (however incredibly realistic) leather impression is constructed by vegetable and certainly also chemical ingredients. Especially the notes saffron, iris and vanilla, which are listed in the pyramid, I can smell out here, but only if I know it. Otherwise not: Everything is so well used that it just results in one thing: Leather. Nothing else. Because Godolphin is an absolutely monothematic fragrance. There are no raspberries or other fruits, no woods (at best soft cork), no flowers, no spices. Only leather, leather, leather. And it is an incredibly soft, noble, rather light leather. Although I have never consciously had such a leather in my hands before, I spontaneously remember the term saffiano leather (aka Maroquin leather): From literature the epitome of the extremely soft, noble leather (Arabic origin) often used for expensive slippers and purses. In the Magic Mountain there is a scene in which Hans Castorp only steps onto the balcony of the Swiss sanatorium "in fil-d'Ecosse underwear and with red Saffian slippers". By the way, there's nothing but leather on the right and left, not even on the timeline. Godolphin stands on the skin as developmentally free as a helicopter that navigates fixed at exactly the same position and height. Only that with Godolphin also the rotor blades stand still and the thing nevertheless does not crash.

So you don't know whether to admire the craftsmanship of creating such a perfectly linear leather scent with such ingredients, or whether to say, for 210 euros, the 125 ml bottle (which, by the way, is exactly enough expensive to generate the image of an exclusive niche, but not yet so expensive that a broad group of buyers will wave off disinterestedly, as with the 500-euro Oberbonzen brands) a little bit of depth and excitement. I leave that open at this point. In any case, I find the fragrance very interesting, very well made and very well wearable by many personality types in many situations. But I don't think it is an exceptional fragrance that inspires me. However, I am not a fan of modern leather fragrances in general. I like to smell some from time to time (like Cuir Blanche by Givenchy or the absurdly expensive Cuir Celeste by Ex Nihilo), but I am not the type of person who would buy one and wear it regularly. In this respect my 7.5 points are certainly subjective. The performance of this fragrance is of medium kind and quality. It lasts about five to six hours with (quite welcome) moderate projection, probably longer than the historical Godolphin (see below) could gallop (or mate) in one piece.

I give seven points for the name "Godolphin." I like the fact that it's short, distinctive and unmistakable. It has a beautiful sound and opens a wide range of associations. Godolphin was the name of an ancient English noble family from the time of the Norman conquest. But the fragrance is named after the Arabian stallion Godolphin, who was once given to a French king by the ruler of Tunis. This follows the line of "Parfums de Marly" to name all their fragrances after famous horses in world history. I can't do anything with this idea, because I'm not a horse or even a rider. And this is a leather scent, but the good Goldolphin, when he was out of shape, was hopefully not made into slippers.
A good leather smell!
I find a really interesting scent and in contrast to Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford, I found this one wearable right away and it made me "addicted"...You don't fall into ecstasy now, but somehow you always want to sniff it.
It is rather a fragrance for cooler times and for the evening.
Chizza
The dignified, business-suited leather without leather
Godolphin is a curious scent. I know him personally from a review of Carlitos perfume on another fragrance where he described Godolphin as an example of a fine leather. That made me curious at the time and so I actually bought this scent blind. And this although I'm no friend of the common PdM. I do not regret this step. Godolphin actually smells of leather, and it's not obtrusive, yet present and sublime. This fact is exciting, because according to Pyramid there is no leather in it. I can't say what smells like leather, but I can say that I don't like the complete heart notes individually. Whatever has been processed here, the result is great. The smell here doesn't mow anyone down in the first few minutes, you don't get beaten with a leather hammer. Gently Godolphin nestles up to you, you can wear this scent in the office because of its class and in the evening when going out.

I myself cannot detect any particular development in the fragrance but I don't miss that either. Godolphin is straightforward, stringent and pleasing simply because it has no directional changes and no exuberant top notes. Of course, his silage is not as pronounced as with other leather scents. Is that a drawback? That's for everyone to decide.
In short, if you find TL and the like too oppressive, if Ombre is a little too sweet, if you simply want to appear conservative yet reserved when working with a leather scent: Godolphin might be the answer.

Leko
The gold leather and all that...
This leather scent comes to you flowery, fruity, sweet and immediately spicy, wood and leather is clearly noticeable. Unfortunately the sweetness remains permanently present and for me it is clearly too much. TL is for me the more direct leather scent, which then goes off powdery with a slight sweetness. La Yuqawam, to name the third in the bunch, is even fruitier because of the raspberry, but not quite as sweet as Godolphin.

If you like it tart and clearly leathery, you can watch Cuir Intense or the Black Afghan (not to be confused with Black Afgano). I have already reported on both fragrances
Of course there are many more leather candidates, unfortunately mostly lushly flowery and sweet. Everyone should try it in peace and quiet to find their candidate. In a short period of time, I have passed at least 15 candidates, which contained more or less leather components
Godolphin is certainly a very complex and high-quality candidate, with good durability and acceptable sillage, but too playful and lovely for me.
Fine leather jacket
What an evening
Saturday evening a good friend wants to go to celebrate and asked me to come along.
So it is 22 o'clock go fast still in the shower and make me slowly finished . Stand in front of my wardrobe and think about what I could wear tonight :)
Blue jeans black jeans the choice is difficult for me :)
after long consideration I decided unimaginatively for a black jeans black sweater with a heavy robust rocker leather jacket and black boots. So the look fits, all in black you can do nothing wrong "I thought to myself". Then my cell phone rang .
"Hurry up, I'm already down" my friend had arrived and I quickly packed everything together and go. When I locked the door of my apartment, I remembered... e have no smell on it " and back again.
Stand in front of my modest collection and quickly consider which one are you doing up? Aventus? Would fit but no... you can't stand it :)
And look what's sparkling like a gold bar ?
Godolphin my eyes shine and say "yes you will manage that! "
After I had sprayed myself generously, I ran down the stairs and what stood in front of the door? It's not a made-up story!!!
A 911 Turbo boahhh just thought the hammer and guess in which color:) no joke really! The car was completely painted black with the rims ...!!!!! Matching the outfit ;)
We drove off and made our way to the club .
while driving the song was played by Tupac (all eyez on me)
Sounds asian sorry :) but seemed like a superstar to me :))
finally arrived we stood in front of the Club Pearl (the hottest nightclub in Berlin) strutted I walked with Godolphin and my leather jacket, past the whole queue waiting to come in. The security opened the VIP entrance for us and I thought the song just won't stop "all eyez on me" :))))

Why am I telling the whole thing without talking about the scent in detail?
Don't you know the feeling of feeling special on special days? Wearing his lover's jacket or jeans? Some say what role does it matter what you wear or where you are when the scent makes you like it up? But I see it differently because Godolphin was the perfect companion and gave me great joy :)))))

Godolphin harmonized super with the leather jacket it smelled fruity, noble, woody, spicy and discreetly after finest leather.
For special evenings a great companion that looks noble, luxurious and discreet.

The shelf life is quite good, even if the Sillage decreases after about 1-2 hours and is very close to the skin recognizable.
What has bothered me personally but not.

Hope you weren't bored?
I'm not the best writer, like many others.

Please for understanding:))))
AnjaTom
The "luxury cocain bar of gold" scent!
I can't say who it was anymore, but a user (or a Youtuber) here has described the scent as follows:
It smells like pulling a line from a gold bar ;-)
I for my part would summarize it rather like this - leather & LUXURE PURE!!

Clearly, it is very similar to the TL of TF. No question at all!
It also crystallizes very clearly on the fragrance pyramid.
For my part I find it much rounder, softer, but by no means feminine!
You have to decide for yourself what you like better, but the TL is much rougher and more scratchy...nevertheless you notice him clearly that he is rather unisex like the Godolphin.

Durability and Silliage are as with almost all Marly´s Top, as one is used to it.
It's certainly not everyone's thing and anything but universal, but I think it's great!
Almost mainstream leather, which should not be devaluing at all.
Who is planning to buy a leatherling should definitely compare TL and G, because equal is not equal!!
Herb-fruity, leathery, oriental! A great mixture!

Spend your $ for Godolphin $
It´s worth it!
Basti87
It takes getting used to, but it's got something to do with it
Another comment from me about a perfume of the brand Parfums de Marly. I just like the brand because there's something for everyone. The assortment serves many tastes, most of which are fragrances that go down well with Sicherhiet. Godolphin is certainly not as safe as Herod, Layton or Oajan. But I find it interesting.

I ordered a bottling of this fragrance because I found the concept exciting. Especially this prollige bottle including fragrance pyramid. A great bottle, solid, gold and simply noble. Even if the flacons look pretty much the same, in gold simply the noblest and most beautiful. Great!
I found the fragrance pyramid exciting. I'm not a big leather fan when it comes to fragrance. But in combination with the other notes I was curious.

As I said, not a fragrance that will appeal to everyone. As it already says in the top statement: He really has approaches of spiritus. What I find great right from the start is that he has a lot of individuality. If you smell this scent, you don't have the feeling that you have smelled it before if you don't know it. For niche lovers perhaps nothing completely new, for designer lovers however unique.
What stands in the foreground over the entire course is this strong leather note. Also extremely active in the opening. In addition, there are fruity notes that need getting used to in combination with leather, but are quite convincing. With the fruity notes I perceive above all berry notes, which are very present. It is very leathery, fruity, tart and becomes clearly softer and gentler in the base. It is hardly sweet, but very gentle and sensual at the end with amber, musk and cedar wood.
The performance is very good, like most leather scents. Leather is simply a note that usually lasts very long and is very present. Here, too. Sillage is also good and the shelf life is around 10 hours. A fragrance that scores more on distance. I'm sure a lot of people won't like him smelling too close. This makes it especially an outdoor and night scent in my opinion.

Conclusion: Not everyone will like it, yet very individual and noble with good performance

Flowers, sweets and leather
Godolphin opens with very intense flowery notes of Saffron, Thyme, Cypress toned down with some green notes, and with some added muskyness to the whole. The other things I notice after the heavy floral opening, are the Fruity notes with Vanilla, and some Amber. These together gave me the impression of leather. I have read some reviews(on other sites), which described this, as more of a floral scent than a leather one. For me it is clearly a leather scent, but not the "raw leather jacket" type of leather. For me it is sweet gourmand leather, with flowers. At later points I can feel some dry woodsyness to it also. It could be labeled as a unisex, maybe more on the feminine side. Give it a try if you like leather scents!

KimJongKimJong 181 days ago
Less rough alternative of Tuscan Leather. A fragrance that is more practical than originality. Good enough performance.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 11 months ago
A very competitive scent in the leather front! On a pair with Tuscan Leather and its good clones minus the top raspberry note (thank God!).
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 17 months ago
I prefer this one over TL? Am I a weirdo? Smells better to me and the 125ml costs the same as the TL 50ml

Let´s do the bad boy thing!
by TBXXI
by CarlMacau
by CarlMacau
by Iljo0703
by Iljo0703
by Sarungal
Ich habe manch gülden Parfum  ;)
by steamyandor
by Vawallpa
by Vawallpa
by VanAllan
by VanAllan

Popular Parfums de Marly

Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Galloway by Parfums de Marly Shagya by Parfums de Marly Byerley by Parfums de Marly