Layton by Parfums de Marly
Top 2 in Men's Perfume
Layton is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2016. The scent is sweet-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase.
Scent goes well with Pegasus

SandalwoodSandalwood
CardamomCardamom
VanillaVanilla
Pink pepperPink pepper

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 04.08.2021.

Come to stay?
I had to ask myself that question over the weekend. I looked at Layton and thought to myself, when was the last time I used you? When am I going to use you again? Puhhh.....
I just met Layton a few months ago.
I can only say this much: He has many facets and I was immediately taken!
Maybe a little patience would have been good

Nevertheless, 2 weeks later, the bottle was in my closet. Since then, he was not used much. I just did not find a suitable occasion.
For work in the office, he is too bad for me and honestly only in moderation at all (er-)wearable.
Difficult I find it also at private parties. Since one is often relatively close together and I can well imagine that Layton can be annoying / exhausting for others in the long run.
In the club or weekend walk may not be a problem. Anyone who does this sort of thing more often, don't feel put off. All too hot/sporty it should not be, however, please.
Well.
The scent I do not want to say much. Everyone smells something else out here. What bothers me a bit, however, is the vanilla-dominated (sweet) base.
I love to spray my neck. With Layton, however, this is no longer fun at the latest at bedtime. To be honest, I can hardly snuggle into my pillow anymore when I wore Layton the day before. That sweet vanilla just saturated everything and bothers me immensely. Nothing is left of the wood, the floral as well as fresh notes.....
My problems may be very specific, I realize.
Basically, I extremely like Layton in the first hours. That would like to emphasize again at this point, otherwise he would never have ended up in my shopping cart.
For the above reasons, however, I do not know whether a purchase was really useful / necessary. Probably rather not. Finally, I use it only rarely and would probably get along with a 10ml filling 1-2 years.
A final answer to the question in the title I have not yet found.
MrMagic
The strongest horse in the stable?
So this is it: the big number one...at least so far. Layton by Parfums de Marly is probably the strongest horse in the stable, an absolute women's magnet and perfectly balanced between niche and designer. The praises of the Parfumos take no end, but now and then a critical comment shows up.

Let's get to the fragrance: Layton starts with a wonderfully fresh apple note and a strongly pronounced menthol accord. While I like the apple a lot, I don't really know what to make of the menthol. At times it underlines the freshness of the top note very well, at other times it smells a bit like a cold bath. All in all, I still understand very well what many perfumos like about the top note. I also tested Dua's Dupe, which carries significantly stronger performance, but is more unrounded. Likewise Ferragamo's Uomo Signature, which shares strong similarities with Layton in the later stages, but is completely different in the top notes. Neither of the two "fragrance twins" comes at the beginning to Layton ran.

The fragrance continues to develop very vanilla-sweet, but does not lose its initial freshness. Here the similarity to Uomo Signature comes to light, which imitates the spicy sweetness of Layton well. Layton gets a bit spicier and especially woodier towards the end before fading out. All in all, solid craft, but neither special, nor particularly niche. After a strong opening, it becomes a bit too generic for me, as well as too sweet. I can therefore do with Herod a little more and am curious about Carlisle, since I also already like Red Tobacco by Mancera.

The sillage of Layton can be seen, but also does not blow me away. The fragrance is quite present for two hours, before it becomes increasingly close to the skin. Overall, nothing that fills rooms, but with generous application will definitely form a pleasant aura around you.
The longevity is good, but not overwhelming. On my skin, the fragrance lasts a good ten hours.
The bottle is massive and really fancy, I prefer being able to see the fill level though.
Layton is a solid fragrance that you can't go wrong with. I for one can't say that this fragrance generates compliments beyond the average, yet I've asked a few people about the scent. Likewise, I don't want to impress you with grand speeches about individual fragrance notes, because as complex as Layton is often portrayed here, it simply isn't, in my opinion. I would therefore recommend Layton to any Parfumo who is looking for an uncomplicated, but solidly crafted fragrance.

Thanks for reading!
Insane scent!
This is really the icing on the cake of fragrances! A pure fragrance explosion in the most positive sense - for which there are no clear words.
I have never had a fragrance with such an absolutely above average and outstanding durability, sillage and fragrance development.
After just one very light application, this warm, delicious, sweet sillage surrounds the entire body. The fragrance develops in a few minutes and just becomes an absolute highlight.
The durability is good at circa 12 hours and is the next morning still dreamlike perceptible. I am just overwhelmed by this fragrance - it is insane! The thing makes absolutely addicted!
I am not a man of beauty, yet have received so many insane compliments since wearing this scent! I would actually describe it as an insane "can opener".
My favorite dessert
At the time my first niche fragrance (I actually absolutely do not like the term and how niche is PDM actually still?) , my perception as well as the relationship to this fragrance has changed over the years.
A little like the favorite dessert, from which you could not get enough as a child and on which you have always looked forward to, yes demanded.
Fittingly, for me, this was always my grandma's (in my eyes, world's best) covered apple pie with vanilla ice cream. I will come back to this comparison later.

Apple and bergamot are what I first detect along with the ever intriguing bright, fruity, even somehow cheerful note of pink/red pepper wrapped in sweet vanilla.
But then quickly pushes a dry spiciness in the foreground in which I recognize the much-cited soul of many PDM`s. Sweet spice, almost always somewhere a touch of almond, warm and floral.

Sandalwood and patchouli become more and more present and provide in the further course for an above-average durability. A point that is very important to many people and due to the high density of natural ingredients of this quality always has its price.

To put it bluntly, you can smell the quality. A point with which I have dealt over the years more and more critical. Expensive is not equal to good, really good but also never cheap. And craftsmanship or the purely objective quality of the PDM's I think there is little to complain about.

Layton Comes to Stay. The progression on my skin is incredibly complex after a while, yet linear at its core.
So resonate with the time much more than the dominant perceived by me and described above notes through, the basic feeling, the vibe of the fragrance remains the same but sometimes the whole day. Just this shows in my eyes craftsmanship at the highest level.
The apple remains, the creamy vanilla remains, the lavender, the cardamom and of course the backbone-giving combination of pepper, sandalwood and patchouli are even after hours still differentiated perceptible and a room-filling force with appropriate application.

But what was there with the apple pie? My childhood dessert is of course still one of my absolute favorites.
Over the years, however, I've been allowed to expand my horizons and discover many other great sweet sins and .
Some fancier, some with more exotic ingredients and some perhaps even more creative. Nevertheless remains insanely delicious but still insanely delicious and on some days there is nothing better to this day!

Similarly it behaves with me with Layton. The fragrance is a dream and incredibly good, every time anew. I would only no longer ten out of ten times to him reach as at the time when my horizon in terms of perfumes was still much more limited and this was the first fragrance I perceived as a milestone for my nose.

Here's to sweet meats and individual taste!
Top beginners ?
Hello, first I would like to mention that this is my 1st review of a fragrance, which is why I would like to ask me not to take too much in the mangle ;)
I've been hanging around on Parfumo for a while, but I've never actually given my two cents worth until now. Anyway, to the fragrance:

So first I must say that the Layton was my first niche fragrance I have ever smelled. I just thought to myself, "Well, you hear a lot of good things about it, it's supposed to be very popular and often meet people's tastes". Well, after much deliberation (vlt so 10min :) ) I ordered the fragrance, mind you "blind". I sprayed him on me and thought with only........ oh God, the I do not like so really, very sweet and at first smell very Feminin. But then...... suddenly came this pleasant peppery note to the appearance, which I again liked very much. With time I smelled not only the sweetness, but also this very fine and in my opinion noble spice, which also harmonizes well with the vanilla. I must confess that I like scents with vanilla very much. After about 2-3h I was thrilled by this fragrance, it smells very high quality and pleasant for me, I can not get enough of it. For me, this was a wonderful entry into the niche, so I am now open to new and venture into the realms of high-quality fragrance and dream world.

My description may not be the best or most detailed, however, I have expressed my opinion and experience as best as possible, at least for a first review. There will certainly be more to come on other fragrances that trigger either euphoria or nausea.

I am very happy to be in this great world of fragrances and still discover many new or smell
ZeluS
Price high, durability higher :)
A very very great fragrance, which is very expensive, but also unique. Initially you smell gaaaaanz very light freshness (probably from the apple note) while nevertheless the sweetness predominates, which in turn is underlined throughout by a pleasant light spiciness. Over time, the sweetness fades very slowly, allowing the spiciness to come through better. As I said above, the scent is very unique in my opinion and the price is also justified overall, because you really notice the Layton all day. Applied early in the morning at just before 7, I still notice the scent very well a good 10 hours later(5pm). Of course, there are many sweet fragrances, but none that comes across as multi-faceted to my nose. Of course, it is always advisable to try fragrances beforehand or to get bottlings before buying a whole bottle, especially with a high-priced fragrance like this one. But all in all from me absolute recommendation and I even find it a bit of a shame that it is getting warmer again. As soon as it has 20 degrees +, the sweetness is actually unfortunately too much. But for the autumn and winter months and as long as the spring is still before the door, this is the perfect fragrance for me :)
UnicoRN98
How special are you anymore?
As the first niche fragrance, Layton has made it into my collection after I have tested various fragrances of the niche segment. Anyone who is on Parfumo and looks at the collections of the members from time to time will quickly notice that the Layton has established itself as a fixed and serious part of the community. Sooner or later, of course, the legitimate question arises, whether this is not the Uniqueness as a result of the apparent ubiquitous presence of the fragrance suffers.

It did not take long until the sympathy between Layton and me. The rather plain packaging reveals a flacon, which in my opinion comes along just as simple, but in terms of quality and workmanship is unparalleled. Already the cap, which is as heavy as the rest of the bottle (risk of injury!), seems high quality and the price accordingly. After the first spray, a fruity-fresh top note greets you, accompanied by a discreet mandarin, which is however kept in the background due to the more present apple. The opening is tied to a light synthetic, but not disturbing the further course of the fragrance. After only 5 minutes, a fierce battle ensues between the scent's defining giants, apple and vanilla. At this point it should be said that I can understand the "apple-vanilla-cake associations", but I would not classify Layton as a pure gourmand fragrance. Here, it simply lacks additional sweetness and other components that smack you in the face à la "I want to eat you!". Ultimately, after a few hours, the apple finally has to admit defeat as a fresh component and makes way for an incredibly seductive, sexy vanilla that can now fully play out its qualities. In the dry-down, an underlying spiciness, presumably owed to the pepper-cardamom combination, joins in and provides a pleasant counterpart to the lovely sweet vanilla. I would describe the scent's progression as linear in stages, as in my opinion the scent goes through the three developmental stages just mentioned quite quickly and not much really happens in between. Sometimes there are fragrances that constantly change over the course and always bring out different ingredients. This is not the case with Layton, but that doesn't make it boring or monotonous at all. Interestingly, it differs slightly in its scent progression after each spray on my skin. Sometimes the heart note comes out faster, sometimes the top note lingers for an unusually long time, which makes Layton all the more exciting for me. The durability is on a rather high level and makes, if at all, a daily once re-spray of the fragrance necessary. Depending on the occasion, mood, time of day, season or other circumstances, 3 sprays are enough to still notice the scent after 8 hours on the skin. The sillage is strong in the first hours and ensures that you are noticed by the whole room, without coming along too obtrusive. After 4 hours, the phase begins in which the fragrance gradually becomes closer to the skin and no longer projects to the initial extent.

Undoubtedly, the Layton is designed to serve a very broad target audience. Parfums de Marly has managed here to bring a fragrance on the market, which comes along consistently pleasing and neither divides nor polarizes. For this reason, I find the often encountered "criticism" that this is a designer among niche fragrances at least understandable, but not really appropriate. It may be that the fragrance DNA doesn't come across as too "niche" and Layton thus lacks the final icing on the cake. It does, however, strike the perfect balance, at least from my point of view, between being absolutely suitable for everyday wear and being extremely occasion-appropriate. As it stands, I don't know of any (niche) fragrance that can be assigned to so many occasions and ways of wearing it. Layton actually covers (frighteningly) many settings, from the office, to leisure activities, to dates and disco nights, which has probably contributed significantly to its reputation as a genuine crowd pleaser and compliment getter. Last but not least, this is also due to the fact that you get a fragrance here that meets with great approval across genders. He is masculine and at the same time easily, due to the overall composition of the fragrance notes, feminine, without running the risk of somehow somewhere at some point to tick off.

The question posed at the beginning can be answered accordingly as follows:

Yes - you are still something special, are actually perfect as an entry into the niche world and are also located in a, in my personal opinion, just so affordable price segment. Are there dupes? Possibly. Are there (cheaper) fragrances that are at least similar to you in your DNA? Probably yes. But if you look at the overall package, you'll quickly realize that you definitely don't have to hide from the competition from other houses and still belong to the most popular niche fragrances ever. The question of the price is thus relativized and is, if at all, only conditionally in the room. ?
The new Aventus Creed in the niche sector
From the search for a new summer fragrance I came across Layton. I was looking for a fresh, unique fragrance that lasts a long time. Many recommended with Aventus Creed, however, it smells almost everywhere after this fragrance, unfortunately. Because actually I also like the Aventus Creed very much, but do not like to go after the trend.

Layton is the perfect alternative for all those looking for a summer fragrance that does not wear everyman. Very fresh on the skin and extremely long lasting.

Am thrilled :)
Niche for beginners?
Yes PDM Layton is often dubbed as a fragrance for beginners in the niche world. I thought that was supposed to be an insult, but is one of the biggest compliments. The scent smells super yummy. I can't really describe it, but super. It smells like a very expensive and extraordinary designer. When you smell it for the first time, you immediately know you're not smelling an 0815 fragrance. I like just the niches, which also like well. It doesn't always have to be the statement scent. H/S are great. It lasts a good 8 h on my skin and you notice it well the first few hours. The silage could be a little stronger for my taste, but that's up to me
A dream
The first and second time he has not thrilled me. But I must say - had several other scents in the nose.
On the 3rd try, I really fell in love.
Apple and bergamot harmonize in the opening. A green apple - which is not only slightly sour but also sweet. The sweetness comes out more and more in combination with the vanilla.
Oud can be smelled - but don't expect oud like in Oud for greatness. This is not a heavy oud. It's an oud for people who don't actually like oud.
The cardamom and pink pepper one smells between through again and again, but they are not intrusive or too much.
My girlfriend also wears Layton incredibly happy and I am also of the opinion that can also wear women.
Sillage and durability are very good and Layton is definitely a fragrance with Wiedererkennugswert and addictive potential

FerasFeras 19 days ago
I don’t understand the hype and reviews it’s too sweet not in a nice way and generic. A blind buy that i regret.
RisingChaosRisingChaos 2 months ago
Warm apple pie, as is popular opinion. There's more fruit than apple and more spices than cinnamon, but that's basically correct.
HandsomeMikeHandsomeMike 2 months ago
Smell simply divine
ShagfragShagfrag 2 months ago
This scent is reminiscent of an Indonesian herbal medicine. If you are familiar with that scent, Marly's Layton might not be very appealing!
PauljaegerPauljaeger 2 months ago
The longevity on this one... I can always smell it on me the next day. And on clothes? I can smell it strongly on a sweater I wore last week
Blako11Blako11 2 months ago
ME ENCANTA EL AROMA. Lástima la duración en piel, en la mia deja mucho que desear.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 5 months ago
Spicy, sweet, fruity, woody. It's a crowd-pleaser, not a complex niche or groundbreaking scent. Creamy with apple, cardamom and vanilla.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 6 months ago
Mediocre designer fragrance on steroids and overpriced. Buy Annick Menardo's Boss Bottled instead. 2/5
NicSealNicSeal 7 months ago
A full bodied vanilla, cardamom, and apple beauty with an aphrodisiac aura.
EinsteinvEinsteinv 8 months ago
Decent but not worth the hype. Boss Bottled meets Ultramale, a bit too sweet for my taste, gone after 6h. Great for rainy days

parfums de marly - layton : wiedererkennungsgrad = wie ein blauer apfelstrudel! :) trotz überfülltem pdm reitstall der neuzugang aufm ponyhof - hab quasi die gesamte herde von hinten gezäumt :D kommt halt auf den riechwinkel an...
by Felsn
by Schokodrinks
by Mivvuass
by Mivvuass

Popular Parfums de Marly

Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Delina La Rosée by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Greenley by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly