Layton by Parfums de Marly

Layton is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is sweet-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesMandarin, Apple, Lavender, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesViolet, Jasmine, Geranium
Base Notes Base NotesGaiac wood, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Cardamom, Vanilla, Pink pepper

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 16.02.2020.

10.0 8.0 9.0 10.0/10

The encounter with Layton
It is April, spring is coming to an end and the summer sun begins to bring its bright warm rays out into the world. On a day like this, a garden party is held in the courtyard of a block of houses and all the neighbours bring together delicious food, including a sommelier fruit salad with tangerines and lemonade to drink, which tastes more like bergamot.
In the middle of a modern metropolis, a lively get-together blossoms in the inner courtyard of a block of flats. They sit together under a white pavilion. Many have brought their close relatives with them and everyone is cheered up by the pleasant warm summer air. It is one of those days when time flies, your head is completely turned off and you ride a wave of good feelings with an ease you secretly yearn for in everyday life.
It's getting a little late, about 5:00. The blazing heat, which has initiated summer throughout the day, slowly begins to fade away and transform into a pleasant warmth. I, in my good mood party mode, have already spoken with some people at the table. But gradually the somewhat rigid structures in the group begin to loosen and you venture out of your comfort zone. And suddenly,
i'm sitting next to her:

In front of me, I see a radiant young girl who introduces herself to me with a joy and ease that I have never experienced before, and suddenly I feel the good mood spreading into a state of euphoric excitement and I begin to smile over both ears. I immediately notice her beautiful light blond wild hair. I also notice now that the wonderful smell of apples, which I have smelled at the table for quite a while, comes from her, which I could strongly perceive since I saw her and looked into her deep refreshing clear blue eyes. This was accompanied by a nice warm vanilla note, which gave the apple smell the seductive something.
I couldn't help but fall completely in love with her and dive into a conversation with her as if hypnotized. After half an hour, which seemed like 2 minutes to me, I felt a deep strong connection between us. We talked about all sorts of things, and the conversation ranged from simple superficial topics, which I have discussed a thousand times with others, to the most profound stories I have ever experienced. But it was as if a magic spell had enveloped the whole conversation. It was like I appeared in another world. Totally cut off from everything around me and yet I perceived everything around me in a completely new way and above all much more intensively. I felt alive at last. Like I was woken up from a nightmare. Warm, soft hands gently touched my forearm. It's like she was trying to tell me, "I'm with you. No one can touch us now."
Inside I cried with joy and enthusiasm about her loving way of telling me that she likes me.
Her light, pleasant appearance was also reflected in her clothes: on her creamy white dress, delicate violets and rose geraniums shone towards me. She was very playful in the way she talked to me, sometimes challenging me just to see how I could easily tease her. I felt masculine and felt the cool strong wood of the beer bench table, on which I laid my arm firmly and at the same time casually.
The sun slowly disappears behind the roofs of the houses and bathes the courtyard in a pleasant orange-yellow light that shimmers through her blonde hair. We put on a sweater and move a little closer together. I can feel her warmth and I get a load of vanilla in my face, which comes from the hair oil she put in her shiny hair. Wrapped in this vanilla smell, I drift off into another world for good. It just feels good to be with her and it was like I was rising in complete contentment, from which I got such a tremendous power that overshadowed all ego behaviour and supposedly self-confident behaviour of other people. I now also heard my own perfume, which I had sprayed on before the celebration and which had cardamom and patchouli as its main notes and let me float above the clouds with its soft vanilla scent.
Then the celebration was already coming to an end and one could smell an evening barbecue smell that seemed to glide through the warm early summer air. She was there with her parents and after repeated insistence, she finally gave in to them, who only wanted to go home. We arranged a next meeting and decided to have a cafe in the Hofgarten near the English Garden in Munich. I could hardly wait to see her again and at the thought of seeing her again I immediately thought of her refreshing apple perfume.
When she was almost walking, I remembered that we hadn't introduced ourselves by name and asked her what her name was. To which she replied:

Layton
8.0 9.0 9.0 10.0/10

ParfumDon
A masterful creation of wealth
Hello dear fragrance lovers. Well, after a long and silent reading of the exquisite comments about felt all the perfumes that are currently offered, I now announce the moment of truth. It is done! Parfums De Marly Layton was added with nerve-racking thoughts after much deliberation and personally tested on the pulse-pounding vein. What can I say, it's a masterpiece! And that is an absolute understatement. No, really, it's a formal magic that hovers around your neck. One cannot put this fragrance into words and if I am honest, one should not do so at all. Enjoy the moment for a moment and sniff at yourselves from time to time, because then you will notice, WOW you don't have to describe it, because you have to feel it. That was my first feeling towards the scent. It can be described as if you meet your dream woman by chance during an evening walk in the park and you, WAIT STOP! I told you, you don't have to describe it, you have to feel it! Well back to the actual topic, namely Layton himself. I am a passionate perfume collector and own several fragrances of all kinds and I really have to admit that Layton outshines all fragrances with great distance and ease. This harmonious composition of apple, cardamom and vanilla makes the fragrance a rarity. The convincing sweetness is apparent from the beginning and remains constant in the fragrance but does not appear pressing or sticky in any way. One smells something oriental which looks very noble but is difficult to explain. Some people claim that Layton has similarities to One Million or Boss Bottled, I have to say that Layton is the great-grandfather of his two designers great-grandchildren and therefore competition doesn't seem threatening at all. A subtle mint note can easily be sniffed in the further course of the meal, which gives the whole components a healthy rounding off. Regarding the durability I can say that the part lasts for half an eternity, so 7-8 hours with an absolutely insane Sillage in the first 3-4 hours. The scent smells so noble and delicious that I would best bathe in it. This will be my " I only wear it on special occasions" fragrance so that magic does not become a habit. Well, so much for that. About the bottle I have to say that it makes a very high quality impression on me and I especially noticed the bottle cap and with that I mean its sick weight, no joke but the cap weighs more than a 100ml Dior Sauvage bottle! You have to let it melt in your mouth or not on your neck ? Well enough fun, we come to the final conclusion of this majestic creation. If you're looking for an over-the-top "Please kiss me here and now" fragrance, Layton is more than just a good choice. Besides this chic little darling he needs an "every day scent" like Bleu de Chanel and so "MAN" is prepared for the 3rd world war. Hope you liked my first comment in this forum and of course I could help you. All right then, Peace, Love & Ice Cream !
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Great smell!
My favorite scent ever Smells really good and my girlfriend loves it too.
Lasts too long! On my body and clothes.
The bottle as with all Parfums de Marly is simple and looks very high quality.
Really top!
9.0 8.0 9.0 8.5/10

Teenage yes, man no
I find the fragrance sweet/sweet and a bit too nice for men. It is suitable for romantic purposes, but that's about it. In itself, I like the scent very much. By the way, at first he reminded me a little of licorice... do you feel the same way?
9.0 10.0 9.0 9.0/10

HerbX91
Of red gold and warm apple strudel
One rough winter evening, about two weeks ago, spent a cosy Friday evening with myself. I enjoyed the wonderful company of a wonderful bottle of 2011 Chateauneuf du Pape, while my thoughts were like the red gold in my glass and gradually faded away.

After some initial restlessness and chaos, my thoughts miraculously sorted themselves out and it increasingly revolved around the past ten years with my partner and all those things that had changed over the years. Not only we ourselves, but also our taste has become much more "mature" over the years. While the numerous winters moved into the country, sugar-flavoured long drinks in the club gave way to a good glass of wine at the joint dinner in a restaurant of our trust. Only one thing has remained unchanged over the years: my toilet water.

At that time, at 18, I had, in youthful recklessness, acquired the tenderest temptation since gold bullion existed and solemnly swore to my beloved that I would remain forever faithful to this one fragrance, at least in her presence. Not knowing the burden that this would place on me, I agreed and henceforth performed my duty as a good friend without reluctance.

Slowly my thoughts refocused, whereupon the whole force of the memory of this scent manifested itself in my mind and threatened to settle down in my nose. Quietly and inwardly I struggled for air, I decided to buy another perfume and wear it whenever I was not spending time with my loved one.

I used the following days to test myself through countless perfumes and spent my evenings with the obligatory research on numerous relevant YouTube channels. In doing so, I followed my natural intuition and avoided such channels, whose owners had succumbed to the fatal error that simple flacons and an event-related naming of their own fragrance collection would justify juicy niche prices.

My journey into the wonderful world of fragrances has just begun, but I am still blown away by the incredible variety that reveals itself as soon as you dare to leave the usual designer brands behind and go a little deeper down the rabbit hole.

Layton was finally chosen as the first niche fragrance. Not a particularly courageous choice, but a very pragmatic one, because he is incredibly accommodating. Layton can be impetuous, powerful, pushy and unyielding, but he can also be very gentle and cuddly, butter-soft and charming.
Once you've caught fire, you know you won't last. Besides other, more "compatible" representatives of the species niche scent, such as Layton Exclusif, Reflection Man and Green Irish Tweed, creatures from Nasomatto and some more specimens from other creators are on the agenda.

So I am sitting here, by the warm evening fireplace of the café, which I would rightly call a second living room by now, and I am writing these lines. All around me there is a hustle and bustle and I sip another glass of red gold, while a young, impetuous and extremely powerful, but wonderfully fragrant stallion named Layton dominates the whole room and everything around me with incredible intensity. While the mighty steed effortlessly penetrates all doors and walls even after two hours and serves the guests at the far end of the restaurant, unasked, with associations of a warm apple strudel with creamy vanilla sauce, I weigh myself in the comforting certainty that the numerous noses floating enraptured through the air are for me and my horse.

To the hard facts:

- The top note is subjectively very fresh and spicy for me and after a few seconds/minutes a dominant apple note emerges, which remains until the end.
- Heart note is too complex for my untrained nose to decipher. Lots of apple!
- The base note for me is apple strudel with vanilla sauce, but by no means artificial. Incredibly pleasant!

- Durability: on me 8-10+ hours
- Silage / Projection: brutal and merciless! I myself usually perceive a fairly decent silage even after 3 hours. Even after almost 6 hours I still often get a few whiffs, although I have been outdoors in the meantime and my skin is the epitome of dryness.

LG Herby
8.0 7.0 8.0 5.0/10

Less helpful Review
Already mainstream or still niche?
I would definitely classify this fragrance as mainstream, because it uses all kinds of methodology and structure of a mainstream perfume. Say add the sociable vanilla to the tangy apple and you have a top note that will blow most people away. I'm not having this conversation! I don't want to portray myself as the perfume connoisseur a la Luca Turin, but this fragrance is simply boring and could just as well have been on the shelves at DM, Rossmann or anywhere else in the retail trade and would then, not cause such hype. Thanks to the Youtube reviewers, he has toppled Aventus from the throne and has become the new (would-be) Pantydropper King
10.0 8.0 9.0 8.0/10

First WOW then mhm
I chose a very special perfume for my 1st comment on this page.
Layton's a star. Pretty much everyone who's into perfumes knows this fragrance, probably just because it's hyped by every famous YouTuber.
I've recently started to look around more in the niche area, adding some niche scents to my collection and of course it's hard to get past Layton, especially if you're a big fan of other PDM scents like Carlisle or Herod like me.

I was able to secure a used bottle here in the souk for a good price. So Layton was a blind buy for me just like all the other PDM fragrances I own. I've never been disappointed by any of these Blindkaüfe, on the contrary, I was usually blown away, even when I smelled Layton for the first time.

The first moment, I was blown away. The scent really knocked me over and I thought that all the YouTuber were right again, but this feeling changed completely in the drydown.
If I hadn't known that it was still Layton, I would have thought that I was smelling a completely different perfume, one that I know well because it's been in my collection for a long time, Prada L'Homme Intense.
I am surprised that Prada L'Homme Intense is not listed here as a fragrance twin, as the fragrances in the drydown are almost identical in my opinion. Layton is still a little fresher, a little more fruity and I take a slight sharpness was, but the difference is small.

Personally I have never smelled a perfume that changes so much from the first impression to the drydown.

It is far from my intention to say that Layton becomes a bad scent in the drydown, I only like it much worse than in the beginning. That's how I take this scent at least was. But maybe my expectations were a little high.

The bottom line is that Layton is a really beautiful fragrance that simply always works. Office, leisure, relaxed dressed or formal, Layton always goes. Regarding the season, I see Layton in spring, autumn and winter. I don't think I'll be wearing it if the temperatures go towards 20 C.

Durability and Sillage I feel as very good and the PDM flacons can in my opinion only love!
9.0 9.0 9.5/10

My chosen one
I will make it quite short and also nothing to the smell notes say, since everything was already there said.

It was one of my first niche fragrances that I bought blindly after a long internet research, and besides Creed Aventus it is the only fragrance I immediately 'fell in love with'. If I had to choose three fragrances, he would definitely be there as a fragrance for cold days. Simply a fucking horny fragrance, with two limitations:

#One 'loves' or 'hates' him, there's nothing in between.
All the other scents I know bring a wide range of answers, but the Layton doesn't. People are about 75-80 % enthusiastic or 20-25 % completely disinclined, and there is only a very small number of people in between.

#2 He's a loser when it comes to direct comparison with vanilla fragrances. Against fragrances without an extremely strong tendency to vanilla he is simply an unsurpassable opponent, but against a Nishane Ani or Bijon Aura Sublime he is a disappointment. Although I would always prefer the Layton to these two fragrances, it and its vanilla note suddenly smell 'cheap', synthetic and rather unpleasant in direct comparison. Here one simply notices that it is simply not designed as a pure vanilla fragrance, even though many people primarily break it down to vanilla.

Unfortunately, the fragrance is so good that it was bought by three people despite the price. And not by crazy people like you, but by people who otherwise think I'm crazy for the prices of my perfumes and for whom everything over 80-90 Euro for 100 ml is too expensive. With two of the three people it will remain by far the most expensive fragrance
8.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Duftomatisch
Niche for all - must try
Actually, I do not comment on fragrances where there is nothing left to comment. Where everything's been said. Which almost everyone has smelled, at least here.
I'll do it anyway:
I-A-Y-T-O-N I-S-T H-A-M-M-E-R.
For me, Niche in perfection.
No mainstream. No.
For everyone to whom I present the fragrance, it is a new fragrance experience. You don't smell that in a regular perfumery.
This sweet spice is simply fantastic and this horsey note - I have no idea how it got in there - can't get it out of her head with this PdM, as with Herod. Fascinating. She doesn't bother.
It is one of my most worn fragrances and can be worn especially on colder days.
It might seem a little musty to some, but it's anything but fresh. Blindbuy of a bottle does not have to be, but you can do it, because you know what to expect and you will get rid of it quickly.
H&S are good.
Does he belong in every collection? No. For me, "he still smells like niche."
It also seems a little more masculine than unisex. It is also rather not suitable as a signature scent. In my opinion. It's too spicy, too potent, and if you wear it too often you'll get sick of it ;).
But he always thrills me when I put him on.
The best PdM for me. Those who don't run away screaming while reading the scents should souvenir a bottling and give it some time.
Even if many people own it HERE, you can smell it unique, I haven't met anyone who knew it yet or smelled it somewhere else
10.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

Aglianico
Fruit punch and olfactory favour
The Layton is certainly ...
... about a hyped scent (just look around on Youtube)
... about a somewhat squeaky-sweet-youthful, not necessarily subtle fragrance that serves a direction that has been very popular (and will continue to be) with younger people in particular in the last two decades
... a "flatterer", who wants to please, and who is smooth and uncontroversial despite all the spicy and brittleness sprinkled in (and yet becomes a little controversial just because of that)
... for a fragrance that is overpriced, one compares it with generic fragrances from the "mainstream"
... no art scent - Layton should and wants, besides monetary aspects, to please, no more and no less.

That sounds pretty negative so far. But Layton is also ...
... a "functional scent" (olfactory well received), which does its job more than reasonable. Beside the Reflection Man it is the only one of my fragrances that has not only attracted other people's attention several times, but has also motivated some to spontaneous positive reactions (rare in our culture). "Spontaneous" is the decisive word here. Because if you actively ask another person how they like a scent, their reaction is not a real compliment
... a fruity, tasty and sweet evening fragrance for dating, going out or simply lolling on the couch and dreaming of love. Or whatever comes to mind. He reminds me a bit of a non-alcoholic fruit punch or baked apple (from a red apple variety)
... sexier and a clear bit more adult than the usual suspects à la Paco Rabanne and Azzaro (not to mention Diesel)
...a great fragrance in a great cover. The bottle body already looks a lot - not to mention the "bullet lid"
... a fragrance with a really long shelf life and satisfying sillage - for some settings this might be an advantage
... a real all-rounder outside professional contexts. It fits to the date, to the club, to the Christmas market, to the walk, (economically dosed) to the cinema and and and ...
...a slightly addictive scent. With hardly anyone else I "hang" so often and so close to my own wrist.

Does he belong in any collection? Please, no!
Should he be blindbuyed? Just don't!
Does he drop pantys? God, no!
Is it worth its high price? Everyone has to for s... uh... No, it's pretty expensive.
Is it a great date/away scent for younger people? Yes!
What is he to me? A functional fragrance (see above) and a "guilty pleasure" (as Schoork put it, see below). That is, I think, for a single fragrance not so little at all.
8.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

Carpintero
About apple strudel with vanilla sauce, batches and reformulations
Constantly searching for new fragrances, at some point I inevitably came across Layton from PdM, but never found an opportunity to test the fragrance.

The other day in Munich it was finally time: in a very exclusive perfumery I tested both the Layton and the Layton Exclusif. First on a test strip, where both disappointed me excessively, then on the skin, where both skinned me on the spot. The friendly employee recommended that I go for a walk with the scent to let all facets work on me and to become more familiar with both scents. So I still went to the hairdresser, was shopping and took a long walk.

I had to take turns sniffing at both wrists: If the two smells were very identical at first, I tended more and more towards Layton later on, which surprised me absolutely, because I actually love oud and woods as ingredients and therefore would have given precedence to Exclusif only because of the ingredients. Somehow the sweet apple and the creamy vanilla didn't quite fit with the oud for me.

The Layton smells, as so often described, like the finest apple strudel in the world with a good portion of vanilla cream. Calories: About 5000.
To make my description even more subtle: In the opening I really smell predominantly sweet freshness, green apple, citric notes, something floral. The green apple, however, very quickly turns into a baked apple in the drydown or even - as I like to describe it - into a fine, delicious apple strudel, with a thin crispy crust and flavoured, ripe apples and raisins. In addition, there is a warm vanilla sauce, consisting of a good portion of cream and sugar and of course the finest Madagascar vanilla available on the market.
Later, the entire fragrance composition is accompanied by fine, noble woods, but vanilla always retains the upper hand. The woods, however, are the elements that carry the remaining vanilla sauce and the crumbs from the apple strudel to the fireplace in order to form the basis for the blazing flames in the Grand Finale, which first caramelize the strudel remains and vanilla sauce and finally allow them to rise in smoke. And even then the nose will still be able to perceive nuances of the richest vanilla sauces, surrounded by smoky woods and a cosy, three-dimensional warmth.

Long story, short sense: I decided on the Layton and made the purchase the same evening.
Even several hours later I still smelled the strong scent of the sample that the lady had sprayed on me. The scent was so loud and strong, it screamed from every corner. Even several saunas and subsequent showers in the Munich wellness hotel were not able to get away from the scent - of course it weakened from course to course, but it was not completely gone until the next morning. I was in love.

Three days later, back home in Switzerland, I opened the packaging excitedly and applied two sprayers of the newly purchased 125 ml bottle of my Layton to each of my two wrists. Nothing. Nothing. A mild breeze. A little scent. But nothing else. All the magic disappeared.
I thought I was going crazy. I sniffed and smelled my wrist. Nothing. Nothing. Then my girlfriend entered the room and grumbled, "How much of this stuff did you spray yourself with? The whole place stinks" - and when I let her smell on her wrist, she asked me where the smell came from.

It was really bewitched. You seemed to notice the scent in the room, but not on me?! What the fuck are you doing?
I started the mill and googled the batch code. Especially in English speaking forums I came across several articles that PdM probably has problems with durability and sillage of some scents, including Layton, the scents were apparently even reformulated and had changed due to supply bottlenecks with the ingredients had changed heavily. I was horrified.
I continued my research and came across similar articles in German-speaking forums - in one I even found my batch code and thought I was definitely going crazy: Exactly this batch was ascribed a very good fragrance, but a miserable shelf life. I was finished.

I called the perfumery the next day, the lady remembered me and offered to change the scent or send me a completely different one. I asked them what batch code the tester would have had in the store because it was so endlessly strong, endlessly good and, most of all, endlessly long smelling. Then when she said "939805," I thought I was falling away from the faith. I ran to my perfume cupboard, took out my bottle and asked the lady on the phone again to give me the batch code of the tester "939805". I repeated every single number to make sure I hadn't interrogated myself. Because exactly this batch code was also written on my bottle.

Both the seller and I were at a loss and we agreed that I should leave the fragrance for a few days and then test it again on skin and clothes.

And how glad I was to have listened to the vendor's advice - a few days ago I reapplied the fragrance. One sprayer on each side of my neck, one sprayer in the neck and two sprayers on the shirt. When I left the house about 20 minutes later and ran into the underground car park, I met the neighbour who asked me if someone was baking in the house because it smells so fine of apple, cinnamon and vanilla. Since I had forgotten my wallet, I took the elevator up to my apartment again - everywhere it smelled like me!
Then I drove into the car wash and got the feeling that the whole control room smells like Layton. A gentleman, who was sitting in his car and had opened the window because he was smoking a cigarette, asked me if I had bathed in perfume by mistake and pushed after my sarcastic "you should think it" a very friendly "smells but damn good!
I could now continue endlessly with examples - I got 8 compliments for this fragrance that day. When my girlfriend came home in the evening and I sat on the sofa while she entered the apartment through the door, all I heard was "Huiii, it smells nice here, did you bake?".
The scent smells so strong, exactly the same as the tester. Why this experience took place now with the first application, I cannot explain completely. However, I came across articles in English-speaking forums that the fragrance might have to "ripen", which I can neither confirm nor deny myself. Another explanation would probably be an overload of the nose or the sense of smell, but even that is only a theory, which could be countered, however, that other people also have durability problems with this smell. Also the saleswoman from this very exclusive perfumery in Munich could not explain this phenomenon, however, she meant that some smells need her time and can develop quite well.

I'm just glad I discovered this wonderful compliment getter for myself. It is like a comfortable and at the same time seductive aura to spray on - just like apple strudel with creamy vanilla sauce.
9.0 9.0 9.0 8.5/10

Overloaded ovalism
Maybe I will toast a little with this comment, provide for disbelieving and outraged glances in front of some PC or mobile phone display and harvest contradiction resulting from it. But since I'm aware that I'm dealing with a quite civilized forum here, I can take the liberty of writing a harsh letter to some perfume houses or rather to one of their products. I'll be fair. Promise!

From Parums de Marly I already had the probably most important candidates for the brand under my nose, although not every one of them was commented by me. So I already got to know "Pegasus", as well as "Herod", "Layton Exclusif" and now also "Layton". I like the "more exclusive" Layton best of all - I can tell you that much. But it should not be about the even more expensive "Exklusivling" today.

Exclusivity is something that can be defined by various factors. In terms of perfume, this is the fragrance DNA, the bottle and, of course, the price. Manufacturers who have or appear to have a special claim to premium quality want to define themselves as far as possible via the three factors mentioned above - there are certainly others. Parfums de Marly manages this in the case of "Layton" too, but only in two respects. On the one hand there is the bottle, which I do not own myself (I only have a small filling), but which I was allowed to hold in my hand in a niche perfumery - an interesting, valuable, striking projectile. We won't have to talk long about the price. Like Amouage, Creed and Co., it's set high - niche only. But what I would like to talk about - what a surprise - is the fragrance, which is probably the most important thing for all of us. First of all, I'm well aware that you can't reinvent the wheel with everything and everyone, but I would have expected a bit more here, considering what Marly has to be put on the table from time to time.

Let's get to the scent:

He's not bad, not at all. Would he have gotten a 7.0 from me otherwise? I don't think so. However, I have problems with the scent DNA so my problems. The apple-cinnamon-mixture is a quite proven concept, which also the "evil mainstream" likes to use. The fact that the two doers of this blue Marlys used this DNA does not represent a big problem for me, because after all one cannot, and I already mentioned this, permanently reinvent the wheel. But I can expect from an expensive Marly that this use of the already well known apple-cinnamon DNA (cinnamon is not listed, but I mean to smell it) will be done in a more creative way and that there will be one or the other scent, which makes the composition a little different or even more unique.
I have the feeling that the attempt at uniqueness has been made, but it has failed miserably - well, a somewhat exaggerated term. The combination of cinnamon, apple and later also vanilla is always in the foreground and that with a truly juicy sillage as well as shelf life. The rather dark gajak wood is also present, as is the rose geranium, but both seem relatively unroundly integrated into the overall work. So it seems as if the two perfumers only remembered in the aftermath, after the apple-cinnamon-vanilla combination had been created, that some things had been forgotten to create a scent character that somewhat differs from the already sweet "mainstream". So the guaiac wood together with the rose geranium was tipped in quickly and voila ... you were done. Now there is a small problem, which I describe and with which I then also come to the conclusion.

The tilted after does not cultivate a harmonious togetherness with the apple-cinnamon-vanilla conglomerate, which actually already describes the character of the out-of-round. The scents don't form a really harmonic unit, which makes this Marly simply overcharged - something that seems to be not uncommon in this scent house, but which is only my opinion. Here the wood, there the vanilla, then again the wood, later the rose geranium, then again the wood, here the cinnamon with apple, then the vanilla and what remains is a big mess, where everything is somehow there and then gone again, so that it comes back later, only to disappear shortly afterwards and all that in a continuous loop due to a very good durability. In the long run this is a bit exhausting, by no means catastrophically smelling, but for a Marly and his price simply too little.

9.0 8.0 5.0 8.0/10

Unisex scent ?
I wanted to test the Layton because I liked the Animale Animale very much. Today I compared both of them. Layton starts off fruity and powdery with a strong silage, the scent becomes finer then, I mean something woody like Ambroxan to hear. After four hours the scent fades away clearly with me and becomes stale. In the end, however, a pleasant (but too sweet to me) scent remains on the skin. The two perfumes are similar in my opinion but differ in detail. Layton is perhaps a unisex scent, but I could imagine it to be more suitable for a woman. It is softer and sweeter, the vanilla is I think very popular with women. (at least with my work colleagues.) AA appears clearly more masculine, it is harsher and stronger (mad silage), becomes earthy and smoky in the process. The scent doesn't last any longer with me either and the end with AA is disappointing. Somewhere the price difference makes itself probably noticeable
10.0 8.0 9.0 8.5/10

Popcorn
Oh, what did I underestimate Layton for? Around the end of 2016 I ordered some samples on the website of Parfums de Marly. Including Herod, Pegasus and Layton to determine which might become a potential Marly in my collection. In the end I thought Layton was the best, but somehow it didn't come to the purchase after all.

Then a long time ago I found a bargain here and could shoot Layton, still in its original packaging, for 130€. Unpacked and sprayed, I had the feeling that the sample smelled different or better (In the meantime, I have learned that perfume houses, cheekily, like to concentrate the samples higher than their actual perfumes) and somehow this made me unhappy. Since I was doing a dual study at the time and was also working in a cinema directly opposite my apartment, it naturally happened that I took a quick shower before work and sprayed Layton on myself several times, although I didn't really like it that much anymore.

Who knows it? You come to the cinema in full anticipation of the film you've been waiting for since the trailer and the first thing you notice is the pleasant sweet smell of fresh popcorn. Simply a wonderful smell that triggers positive feelings. Unless you work there and have a sweet perfume like Layton on it, which made me smell after work, as if I had been caned with Layton and popcorn. Also from the cinema colleagues there were rather "negative" compliments à la "Here it smells like in the perfumery...", which in the end was another reason why I sold my copy.

A little later Layton Exclusif came onto the market, of which I ordered a sample here, because I was hoping for more and then... it was a beast.

But back to Layton, a few days ago I got a Descant each from Layton and Layton Exclusif to weigh, which is better in the end, because I wanted to get Exclusif. However, it feels impossible to make this decision, but one thing is certain. How could I be such an idiot and sell Layton.

In the last few days, when I sprayed it on myself and was on my way, I became aware of what a beast Layton actually is. Once applied on the skin (two sprayers), it is still well and clearly noticeable up to 4 hours later in the room.

I have without problems 12 hours durability and in the clothes it is felt, until the next wash, not to get out any more. A decreasingly good Sillage one can expect (in my case at least) approx. up to 5 hours, in warmer rooms, also more. The Drydown is really heavenly and now we come to the actual supreme discipline that distinguishes Layton: The compliments.

No kidding, this perfume is an absolute machine, an absolute compliment getter! People love that scent. And women are totally freaking out, he's sweet, fresh and extremely seductive and it's going to be hard to find someone who won't like this DNA or find it too unpleasant. To hear "I would love to fuck you best" from a woman or to get free drinks at a concert because you smell so good sounds like a fairy tale, but it is not and I could hardly believe it myself. In retrospect, I thought I was dreaming.

(Here's a short claim to those who want to comment on the fact that they never get compliments or that these panty dropper stories are bullshit: People, the whole package has to be right! If you're attractive, your smile, figure, hairstyle and vibe will fit, then a good perfume can become a wonder weapon. Provided one goes to situations in which people are more social than usual.)

Finally, Layton is a super beautiful perfume and an all seasons / all occasions all-rounder for all ages. Personally, I think, however, that in autumn he comes to the fore and performs best :) I shouldn't have sold it back then, because since then every visit to the cinema and the smell of popcorn has reminded me of this perfume and I really missed it every time. By the way, Layton is also a perfect perfume for a movie date ;)

I'd like to know what your top compliment was that you got for Layton!!!! :)
9.0 9.0 10.0 9.5/10

Duftiibus
One always gone:) dancing with the apple:)
A great perfume, the combination of mandarin and apple are super and very pleasant and make the fruity sweetness at the start of this perfume then come the floral notes and then the sandalwood and cardamom/vanilla .. a super fragrance on my skin.

Had some trouble at the beginning with the sweetness of the fragrance but it is worth to smell it on the skin.

For me a spicy/woody/vanilla/cardamom scent with sweet accents
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Sweet temptation
My first contact with Layton was about two years ago.

Tested in a small Hamburg perfumery on a cold November day. As usual in a pretty, high-quality and heavy bottle.

After the first contact I ordered a bottling to test him extensively.

Shortly after the spraying I was disappointed, but with every minute I liked it better. Fruity in the beginning, but not too fresh, sweet. Apple and cardamom are clearly perceptible. In the middle, a sweetness I can't define. Slowly and leisurely he changes. The Drydown has it in it. He gets soft and cuddly. It snuggles up gently to you. Reminds me of warm vanilla sauce.

Durability and Sillage are extreme. In consideration of your environment, it is best to use only discreetly.

No revolution. He won't touch it. Don't turn anything upside down. A fragrance inspired by the mainstream. Does that make him bad? No! A reliable and successful fragrance from Marly
8.0 7.0 8.0 6.5/10

Layton or Vanillayton?
A powdery sweet fragrance that has more vanilla than Herod & Pegasus combined. Vanilla pudding would do just fine, wouldn't it?
At first a little lavender appears but with the amount of sweet I think you should inject Apidra subcutaneously before you suffer a hyperglycemic coma. It's really a penetrating vanilla note with some wood and more also not.
Herod has more character for me at the same time he convinces with a good development and more spice. Pegasus is more mature and remains more complex until the end.
Layton however has no development and only wants to project sugar at maximum.
Waiting for a nice ending but nothing came. It can't be my nose although my olfactory cells are busy not dying of diabetic ketoacidosis. My pancreas has given up by now
10.0 9.0 10.0 9.5/10

Excellent
Ordered a 10 ml sample. Unique smell. It’s so good that I’m going to order a full bottle at some point. The opening is my favorite in my whole collection. Lasts all day too. Definitely worth the price tag.

Rating: 9.5
10.0 9.0 10.0 9.0/10

TBXXI
"...here it smells like a brothel"
First of all it has to be said that I will not go into the scent of the individual notes. It's more about a field report about the first meeting with Layton and going out together.

Layton is one of my first fragrances of Parfums de Marly. How did I get into this? I stood in Munich in a renowned perfumery and wanted to try Layton's older brother. Pegasus.

However, the bottle was empty and the nice lady offered to give me a sample as it was still in stock. Arrived at home and looked into the bag she even packed me 2 samples.
Once Herod and "unfortunately" no Pegasus. It was Layton. Strongly disappointed by the lady's competence I sprayed the Layton on the back of my hand. I got kicked out of the kitchen chair halfway when that scent went up my nose. Such a strong prelude and room-filling like no other fragrance from me. A spicy-sweet prelude with the said apple note. I didn't have to smell more than the top note. The decision had been made. It's almost too sweet for the summer, but a look at the weather forecast said to me:
"Perfect. The evenings will be below the 20°C mark, you have to order Layton now. This will be your new scent for going out!"

No sooner said than done, 3 days later it rang and the postman handed me the package just in time for the start of the weekend. Unpacked immediately and almost shot through the parquet floor. In the heat of the moment, the heavy lid almost slipped out of my hand and almost knocked the tenant to death one floor below me.
In any case, a very high-quality feel and top workmanship with a lid that is felt more than twice as heavy as the full bottle itself. Quite an eye-catcher in every collection!

A look at the clock told me that I had to leave as soon as possible, because 3 colleagues were waiting for me. We drove to Rottweil, 80km away, because we had tickets for an event in the most famous location of the area. Just before going out, a friend wanted to use my perfume. I don't usually do this because I don't want anyone in the group to smell the same as me. But since I never smelled the scent on anyone else before and I wanted to put the durability and Sillage to the test, I sprayed him and me behind the ears. He just wrinkled his nose. No comment on the fragrance.

When the other friend entered the room, he just laughed and said: "Boah, that is disgusting... "It smells like a brothel. We all laughed and finally walked towards the party. To be honest, my laughter was artificial because I was a little offended and uncertain whether Layton was really THE fragrance I had imagined. But suddenly a distant cry came from behind: "That's insane how the scent radiates, we can even smell it from behind! It smells much better now than it did at the beginning, not so fruity!".
That must be the heart note now, I just thought to myself and turned around. He projects untrue while running loosely over 5m! Geil thought I just and went self-confident and radiant like a honey pie horse in the club.

It must have just been a grenade. Due to the hot/humid atmosphere in the club, Layton has already taken almost half the dance floor despite >6h wearing time. Although there were few openly expressed compliments, men turned around both women and men as they walked by and looked after them. Judging by the facial expressions, it was predominantly a positive contact with the little horse. At 6 o'clock in the morning the long celebration was already over but not for the scent. Of course the Sillage was mostly gone but still perceptible at 30cm.

Unfortunately I don't have more impressions of Layton, which will change with the cooler weather! In summary, I can only say: Go for it! A great fragrance for autumn/winter or cooler spring/summer evenings. But be careful! In my opinion, this fragrance above 20°C is almost a no-go in the public eye. Much too present and intrusive.

I hope I could write you a little insight into my first experience :-)
8.0 8.0 9.0 8.0/10

The Boss Botteled Upgrade
The Layton - the classic from Parfums de Marly. Spicy and oriental with a very slight freshness, it comes along and really smells of what a niche perfume is all about - different from the broad mass.

The scent:
Really good! It smells spicy oriental and slightly fresh. Personally, I think he's close to the Boss Botteled, but he's one level higher. You can see it this way, as with the Reflection Man/Le Male story - he has similarities - is fundamentally different in the scent DNA though. It can be used in winter, in the evening or at night in the disco. He's nothing to me for warm days.
It smells very strange when sprayed on for the first time - so much that I almost wanted to wash it off again. But over time it has become one of my favorite fragrances.

Durability/Sillage:
Very good One of the fragrances that have really good durability! 10h are in my room with good Sillage. He's definitely present for many hours.

Flacon:
Nice! Simple and very chic - typical Parfums de Marly halt.

Conclusion:
If you like Hugo Boss - Botteled - you should definitely test it. Even if you are looking for a fragrance that you can often wear to celebrate or in winter, you should test it - of course if you want to spend the change. Layton is for me a fragrance that smells unique and lasts for a long time - hat off!

KimJong 44 days ago
It's 5 times better than Musc Ameer of El Nabil (3euros). In fact, it's really cozy, sweet and good. But I think this price is too inflated.
Meursault 47 days ago
Safe and simple, nothing groundbreaking. Vanilla, apple, and cardamom. It's like a Boss Bottled on steroids. Made to be a crowd pleaser.
Carlitos01 181 days ago
Everybody likes Layton. The spicy & woddy sweet drydown is particulary pleasant. It's close enough to the more expensive Exclusif flanker.+4
KingPin 6 months ago
On me it starts with a cloying sweet cream scent, then it turns into Boss Bottled (which is ok I guess). Not for me, can’t stand the start.+1
3.5

by OvidiuH
by Ernie824
by Ernie824

Popular Parfums de Marly

Herod by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Delina by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Galloway by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Byerley by Parfums de Marly Shagya by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly Kuhuyan by Parfums de Marly Hamdani by Parfums de Marly